PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and DJ, YES!

gobears1987
08-21-2004, 07:16 PM
I know there is a thread on the Fox announcers, but this post and posts following it are to be more focused on Hawk and DJ and thus merit their own thread.

The Fox announcers today they were boring and had no energy. It is the same thing with the ESPN announcers and I realize how good Hawk and DJ are and how lucky we are. I actually loathe the White Sox being on national TV. I wish all 162 games would be covered by Hawk and DJ.

Even when the game is a blowout it is fun to watch. You get to hear funny stuff from DJ like his "I'm going to eat this piece of paper in front of me if Aaron doesn't get this easy RBI." I know DJ sometime says very dumb stuff, but it is funny to hear. Then you have Hawk ripping Jay Moronotti during the picks to click

Then when the game is close you get energy. You will never hear "Come on TIMO! Come on TIMO! Come on TIMO! Come on TIMO! Here's the Throw, YES!" from a Fox or ESPN announcer. Hawk and DJ are built on this sort of energy when announcing and it makes me love to watch the games they call and make me listen to Rooney and Farmer during nationally televized games.

You also remember the calls with Hawk and DJ as much as you remember the play. No one here is soon to forget DJ's "GAME" call followed by Hawk losing his voice during his "Way back! He looks up! You can put it on the board YES!" during the Detroit Tigers game last month (and unfortunately the last win in 1st place this season.)

We also have our Hawkisms that we love to hear over and over again and never will get sick of (well some of them we are sick of like 'Outfield is straight up spread out')
There is nothing we like hearing more than "It's way back, get up! Stretch! He (more preferably Lew Ford or Torii Hunter) looks up! You can put it on the board YES!" or "He Gone" "Shingotime" or his knicknames like "el caballo" and he gave Frank the nickname "The Big Hurt".

Hawk and DJ make boring games fun to watch and close games seem like a matter of life or death and not just baseball. They energize us (the fans) and that is something no other baseball announcers on this planet are able to do. (if HOward Cosell announced baseball he would be able to do it)

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Hawk and DJ are the best announcers. Theyre so awsome. I love listening to them and their little terms...YCPIOTB, He Gone, Can a Corn..ect..:bandance:

gobears1987
08-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Hawk and DJ are the best announcers. Theyre so awsome. I love listening to them and their little terms...YCPIOTB, He Gone, Can a Corn..ect..:bandance:
Ducks on the Pond

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Ducks on the Pond
notice the "ect" i wrote

batmanZoSo
08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
notice the "ect" i wrote
It might as well be "ect" based on how every idiot pronounces it.

Soxzilla
08-21-2004, 07:32 PM
I enjoy hearing "Sacks packed with Sox":cool:

OurBitchinMinny
08-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I still like hawks saying, but he is not as good as he once was. DJ is flat out horrible. He is an ex cub. They are just ok in my book

inta
08-21-2004, 10:23 PM
i'm pretty bored of them. hawk was at his peak in 99 with wimpy... he's severely falling off... seems like he's getting old and kooky.

DJ seemed Ok at first... but he's just stale to me.

if the sox got a new broadcast team, it would be fine with me.

i prefer the rooney and farmer personally.

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Hawk and Wimpy were a privilege to listen to. Dj isnt good, and he brings hawk down with him to an extent. Ever notice when he is talking and then something happens and he's forced to do the play-by-play? He's so awkward! I couldnt believe when the sox re-newed his contract.

Kuzman
08-22-2004, 06:21 AM
I always love the little fights they'll get into. They dont yell or anything but you can tell thier fighting. Like the time they were going over basic fundamentals DJ was coaching his kids in little league. and Hawk says, "Well I wouldnt want you coaching my kid" DJ- "Well, I dont want to coach your kid"

ahh man, it almost seems like they're married

KingXerxes
08-22-2004, 08:27 AM

"Can of Corn" is not one of Harrelson's little sayings. That term has been used in baseball for as long as I've been alive - and that's a long time.

By the way, if I haven't made it clear over the past few years - I can't stand Harrelson.

:hawk

"Yessir DJ............another double by Paulie."

:DJ

"Where did you ever get that term "double" Hawk?"

:hawk

"Well one time ol' Jim Lonborg and I were playing the 19th hole at Bel Air when I heard ol' Mike Connors, who used to have a television show called Mannix, order a double scotch at the bar..........mercy.........I thought that would be a good name for what was then exclusively called a two base hit........yessir.......I invented that phrase."

SouthBendSox
08-22-2004, 09:49 PM
After Hawk's "if you didn't play the game, you don't know a damn thing" tirade... i really lost a lot of my love for him.. and Dj... well he's DJ

that being said, I still enjoy Hawkisms , but prefer the radio team

HomeFish
08-22-2004, 09:56 PM
I believe that Hawk/Farmer would be a superior team.

gobears1987
08-25-2004, 08:15 PM
DJ says a ton of dumb stuff, but I don't care. Who will forget him eating paper?

danzee23
08-26-2004, 07:28 AM
I agree with a previous post that said DJ brings hawk down. I think
that is so true. What I love about Hawk is his passion for whitesox baseball.
People will call him a homer. Is that a bad thing? I hate it when the sox
are on national TV because their is no home aligence. I want to here
the ball game called from a sox fan. And he has the best calls in baseball
second to none.

DJ always looks like he is on something to me. He can't keep his eyes open
when the camara is on him. What's up with that?

Etownsox13
08-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Hawk and DJ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZ

bennyw41
08-26-2004, 09:22 AM
A lot of people diss DJ. I like him A lot. He is a really good guy, and he is much better when he is not with Hawk. I think he is good.

PatK
08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
I think the broadcast team could be better.

I like Hawk, but you can tell the score of the game by the tone of his voice and how often he's talking.

And people complain he's a homer, but he's nowhere near as bad as Chip Caray. In all his years with the Cubs, he has only said maybe 1 bad thing about the Cubs, while Hawk gets awfully critical at times.

DJ is better than he used to be, but he still isn't very good.

Wimpy and Hawk were the best.

I'd like to see them try Farmer in the booth.