PDA

View Full Version : Carl Everett

balboner
08-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Note: This was going to be posted before he got ejected. When are people going to realize what a disaster the Everett trade was? Not only has he not produced at all this year, but the terrible news is that he'll be back next year for like 4 million. 4 million for a DH, when you already have Frank coming back, is way too much for a mid-average payroll team. Everett is too much of a liability to play in the field. Also, we gave up our only possible major league ready minor league pitcher, Rauch, to get Everett. KW panicked when Frank got hurt. There were much better options to get than Carl.

balke
08-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Who says we have Frank back? An old huge man with bad feet, and a hairline fracture from steppin on the bag wrong... I'm not counting on Frank coming back as Frank next season, until I see him in a uni hitting, and runnin the bases.

We as sox fans don't have good enough luck to count him back. We could use depth next season. IF we are going to actually go for this thing, lets spend the money and DO IT!

ja1022
08-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Seemed like a relatively popular move with most people at the time. People were pissed at Rauch for leaving that game early, and alot of people felt like Everett would produce like he did last year (.301, 10 hr, 41 rbi in 73 games) if he got out of Montreal and into a pennant race. KW thought he was one of those "grinders" and liked the example he set in the clubhouse last year. Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20

StepsInSC
08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
This is season is over. I don't care what Dino does for the remainder.

Doesn't he have an option for another year? What is his contract status.

I would not be surprised if he could get healthy in the off season, he could be a big contributor next season.

skobabe8
08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Carl had every right to lay into that ump. that was a terrible call in a crucial part of the game. instead of 3-1 with bases juiced and a fastball coming it was 2-2. I'm very glad he got his moneys worth and at least showed a little emotion. God knows most of the rest of the team doesnt.

Frankfan4life
08-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Carl had every right to lay into that ump. that was a terrible call in a crucial part of the game. instead of 3-1 with bases juiced and a fastball coming it was 2-2. I'm very glad he got his moneys worth and at least showed a little emotion. God knows most of the rest of the team doesnt.That's exactly the way I saw that play. Carl was robbed on that call. So, instead of the pressure being on the pitcher, the umpire did him a favor and screwed Carl. This might have been payback for the Ozzie outburst.

In this case, it was good for Carl show how unfair the call was. However, I wish the Sox could take advantage of moments like this and get a HIT!

JB98
08-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Note: This was going to be posted before he got ejected. When are people going to realize what a disaster the Everett trade was? Not only has he not produced at all this year, but the terrible news is that he'll be back next year for like 4 million. 4 million for a DH, when you already have Frank coming back, is way too much for a mid-average payroll team. Everett is too much of a liability to play in the field. Also, we gave up our only possible major league ready minor league pitcher, Rauch, to get Everett. KW panicked when Frank got hurt. There were much better options to get than Carl.

I disagree. At the time Everett was acquired, Maggs had just gotten back in the lineup. We all still felt the Sox had a great chance at that time, and I thought KW was wise to bring in a veteran to try to help pick up the slack for the loss of Frank. It was hardly a panic move. It made perfect sense, especially since we gave up absolutely nothing in that trade. Rauch is hurt now. You can't possibly think we'd be in a better position if Rauch were here and Everett were not, could you? I agree that Carl hasn't been that productive, and I'd be in favor of trading him in a waiver deal before 8/31 if possible. But I'm not going to s**t on KW over that deal. It was a trade worth making at the time it was made. In hindsight, it hasn't worked out.

JB98
08-21-2004, 04:45 PM
That's exactly the way I saw that play. Carl was robbed on that call. So, instead of the pressure being on the pitcher, the umpire did him a favor and screwed Carl. This might have been payback for the Ozzie outburst.

In this case, it was good for Carl show how unfair the call was. However, I wish the Sox could take advantage of moments like this and get a HIT!

I don't think it was payback for the Ozzie outburst. That ump sucked all day. He was wildly inconsistent, and he blew one at an inopportune time for the White Sox. Those are the breaks.

DickAllen72
08-21-2004, 05:16 PM
If Carl gets healthy and back into shape over the offseason, he'll have a big year next year and everyone will be glad we have him around (if he avoids injury, that is).

He's not been that bad for us this year, either.

batmanZoSo
08-21-2004, 06:42 PM
That's exactly the way I saw that play. Carl was robbed on that call. So, instead of the pressure being on the pitcher, the umpire did him a favor and screwed Carl. This might have been payback for the Ozzie outburst.

We were screwed in that Ozzie call too. What, to make things right they have to f### us again?

Deadguy
08-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Everett is more of a replacement option for Magglio than FT, IMO. He has enough range to be an adequate RFer, and his production may be poor, but his 4 million dollar salary isn't exactly going to cripple this ball club.