PDA

View Full Version : I'm Jumping Ship

nasox
08-21-2004, 01:38 AM
Sorry for the negative thread, but I have been trying to maintain optimism about our beloved for a while now. Today's game was the final straw. Fork it because this team is done. THere won't be any playoffs on the south side. Looks like Harold Reynolds was right. We're gonna finish third. I'm sorry. But I can't bear to watch this team anymore. Even if we make a late push, we don't have what it takes. It's time to partially rebuild the team by trading Paulie and Lee, not necessarily for prospects though. Just get some good players, maybe some potential. And later Maggs, nice knowing you. He won't be back. Maybe by 2006 JR will sell and we will see a real team soon. Oh well.....this is what I expect as a sox fan.

SoxFan76
08-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey man, I'm with you. There is a point when you have to sit back and realize the truth. This team is pretty much done, unless they really pick it up, and the Twins just fall off the face of the Earth. Better luck next year. Hopefully they prove me wrong and make the playoffs, but I'd rather the Sox not make the playoffs than the Sox get eliminated in the 1st round.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 02:04 AM
Hey man, I'm with you. There is a point when you have to sit back and realize the truth. This team is pretty much done, unless they really pick it up, and the Twins just fall off the face of the Earth. Better luck next year. Hopefully they prove me wrong and make the playoffs, but I'd rather the Sox not make the playoffs than the Sox get eliminated in the 1st round.
Yea..I agree. Ive been optimistic throught this team's losses and got thorugh it all. But i have to say, Sadly, were done :(: I hate to sound like a cubs fan. HATE , but theres always next year :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 02:07 AM
The sox were doing great at the beginning of the season. What the hell happened to us? im freaking tired of this. Im freaking tired of the sox losing and cubs fans bragging in my F***ing face every day.:angry: Why did this happen to us! What did we do to deserve this!:angry:

nitetrain8601
08-21-2004, 02:08 AM
Think of it this way...once the Cubbies win the WS, we'll become the lovable losers and everybody will be a Sox fan all over the world. Ozzie will become an icon.

BTW, JR is not the only one who owns the team. I'm sick of hearing, let's hope he sells. He just has a share with a bunch of owners. He's not calling all the shots. He gets as much say as the other owners in the Sox.

indysoxfan
08-21-2004, 02:28 AM
dont leave now.... you'll miss the comeback:smile:

VA_GoGoSox
08-21-2004, 02:45 AM
I've been secretly holding on to hope for a few weeks, but after tonight I have to admit to myself that it is over.

I had a realization about a week ago about what exactly I've gotten myself into as a Sox fan. I was talking to my Dad on the phone about how badly the Sox were struggling and I said "you know, I'd be happy to see us win just one world series in my life".

My Dad, who turned 50 recently, got quiet for a second and said "I hope you get to see one--time ran out on your Granddad and time's running out for me". Talk about a ton of freakin' bricks. In one brief moment, the almost 90 years since we won one became very real to me and I realized I just might go my entire life without celebrating the big one.

As great as all the Bulls' success was in the 90's, I'd trade all of those championships in a heartbeat to be able to have a few with the old man while we watched the Sox clinch the series.

Man, this is depressing. Who needs a drink?

OEO Magglio
08-21-2004, 02:49 AM
What the hell happened to us? :maggs :hurt

Bucktown
08-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Last night was the night I gave up. At no point did I try to catch the game tonight. Email me if we win 5 in a row.

nasox
08-21-2004, 02:56 AM
I was secretly hoping I would see the this thread sucks guy. Too bad all of you are with me because it is killing me. I won't be posting too much unless they turn around this ship. See you all in March.

idseer
08-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Hey man, I'm with you. There is a point when you have to sit back and realize the truth.

lmao!

that point came and went the week of july 25th. i can't believe how SLOW some of you are to finally realize it. :smile:

RavenswoodFan
08-21-2004, 08:52 AM
This Team has been declared DOA!!!! Too bad seemed like a promising year up until the All Star Break.....:whiner: :whiner: :selljerry :corpseball

BigEdWalsh
08-21-2004, 09:15 AM
lmao!

that point came and went the week of july 25th. i can't believe how SLOW some of you are to finally realize it. :smile:
Thank you.

I do actually admire those that held out hope, though. I don't mean this in a rude way, but I equate their optimism with youthfulness. I remember when I was young and never gave up hope too. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I kinda wish I could still feel that way. Instead, with old age (well, not THAT old) I guess I've gotten way more cynical. Unfortunately, the Sox keep making us doomsayers right.

gosox41
08-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Thank you.

I do actually admire those that held out hope, though. I don't mean this in a rude way, but I equate their optimism with youthfulness. I remember when I was young and never gave up hope too. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I kinda wish I could still feel that way. Instead, with old age (well, not THAT old) I guess I've gotten way more cynical. Unfortunately, the Sox keep making us doomsayers right.
After last season I finally learned my lesson for this year. There is no hope. I'll go to games and root for the team to win. But I don't expect anything out of them. It makes this time of year a lot less depressing, though it still sucks. I mean it's only August 21 and a new wave of fans is finally facing the sad reality, that the next 6 weeks are completely meaningless for the Sox. The second wave discovered this when frank and Magglio went down. The first wave gave up when KW did very little this winter to imrove this team.

It was fun watching the team play well the first half. And while the injuries have hurt this team, don't kid yourself too much. There are a ton of holes to fill on this team. Hopefully after 4 long seasons, KW will see that and make some major changes. The last thing he should do is bring back the same team next year and hope Frank and Magglio are healthyy for the season.

Like 2003, I want a major shakeup. It didn't happen then, partly because KW had some guys signed to immovable contracts. But it damn well better happen now if this team wants to ahve a realistic chance of winning next season.

The Sox division is going to get tougher, not easier. They couldn't win hte last 4 years when the division was the weakest in baseball. Now there are curently 3 teams over .500. Detroit has a real GM and will be making strides to improve. Cleveland will go out and get some bullpen help and improve. Minnesota's been in it every year despite the fact that they lose key players to free agency. KC is currently the weakest team in the division, but part of that is due to a lot of injuries. They should be more competitive next year.

Let's hope KW has the smarts to build a winning team. So far he hasn't showed me anything, other then he can be aggressive, has an anger managment problem, and talk tough. Great. How about winning a division for once let alone a World Series?

Bob

TornLabrum
08-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Looks like those of us who were looked down at as a bunch of pessimists were right.

gosox41
08-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Looks like those of us who were looked down at as a bunch of pessimists were right.
I just think us pessimists are much more obkective about the team. It's easy to let your emotions get involved when you're a passionate fan. Unfortuantely, some will learn the hard way that blind optimism and being a Sox fan don't mix.

Bob

BigEdWalsh
08-21-2004, 10:04 AM
That's the sad truth. I WISH we weren't! Part of me wants to rub it in their faces and say "See we told ya! But, you wouldn't listen. You just put us down". But, in this case I don't want to be right. I'm mad as hell that I was right. I wish I could just be like a kid (or a Cub fan) and just keep hoping. Reality sucks.

Dan H
08-21-2004, 10:55 AM
That's the sad truth. I WISH we weren't! Part of me wants to rub it in their faces and say "See we told ya! But, you wouldn't listen. You just put us down". But, in this case I don't want to be right. I'm mad as hell that I was right. I wish I could just be like a kid (or a Cub fan) and just keep hoping. Reality sucks.
You are right. Reality sucks. And while some fans like to blame the absence of Thomas and Ordonez for this, they have to remember that it looks like Ordonez won't be back next year. This team has to make some major changes and it should have happened before this year.

And being a I told you so helps very little. I want a real winner on the South Side, but I don't think it will happen with this ownership. If you are going to cheap your way to winning, you have to be very wise in the way you spend your money. Another off-season of inactivity and signing below average players is not acceptable. Will this ownership finally stop being so stubborn?

Clembasbal
08-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Sorry for the negative thread, but I have been trying to maintain optimism about our beloved for a while now. Today's game was the final straw. Fork it because this team is done. THere won't be any playoffs on the south side. Looks like Harold Reynolds was right. We're gonna finish third. I'm sorry. But I can't bear to watch this team anymore. Even if we make a late push, we don't have what it takes. It's time to partially rebuild the team by trading Paulie and Lee, not necessarily for prospects though. Just get some good players, maybe some potential. And later Maggs, nice knowing you. He won't be back. Maybe by 2006 JR will sell and we will see a real team soon. Oh well.....this is what I expect as a sox fan.
Good, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Tragg
08-21-2004, 11:22 AM
THere won't be any playoffs on the south side. Looks like Harold Reynolds was right. We're gonna finish third.
Actually, Reynolds predicted us to finish 4th- and if we don't shape up, he may be right.

TornLabrum
08-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I agree. I hate being right.

Paulwny
08-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I've been secretly holding on to hope for a few weeks, but after tonight I have to admit to myself that it is over.

I had a realization about a week ago about what exactly I've gotten myself into as a Sox fan. I was talking to my Dad on the phone about how badly the Sox were struggling and I said "you know, I'd be happy to see us win just one world series in my life".

My Dad, who turned 50 recently, got quiet for a second and said "I hope you get to see one--time ran out on your Granddad and time's running out for me". Talk about a ton of freakin' bricks. In one brief moment, the almost 90 years since we won one became very real to me and I realized I just might go my entire life without celebrating the big one.

Man, this is depressing. Who needs a drink?
Tell your dad that he has company. There are a few of us 50+ yr olds who feel our time is running out. :whiner:

Paulwny
08-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Once again this statement tells it all.
"If I was going to storm a pillbox, going to sheer utter, certain death, and the colonel said, 'Shepherd, pick six guys,' I'd pick six White Sox fans, because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them." - Jean Shepherd

DumpJerry
08-21-2004, 12:32 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
There will be no "next year" next year. Minn and Cleve will be stronger than this year, the Tigers are a player or two away from studom. The Royals are our saviors. There is no easy answer for what needs to be done. We are five players away from being Big Time. Right now, as things stand, here are positions I feel good about next year: catcher (Burke and Davis), DH (Big Frank), First, if Paul remains, CF (Rowand), LF (Lee) and 2.5 starters (Garcia and Contreras and halfway with Buerhle). It remains to be seen if Shingo repeats, nothing against him, but closers have a hard time doing it year in and year out. We need long relief, the current crew can go to the Flubs for all I care. We need short covered, second covered and RF covered. We need to more quality starters and SERIOUS long relief.

I am convinced that up until the All Star break, we were playing out of our league, since it has been more where it should have been. We can point to the injuries to Maggs and Frank, but they are not pitchers, that is a big source of the problems. We probably would be 10 games ahead of where we are now if they had not gone down......

Well, 2004, it was kinda nice knowin' ya. Hope the Flubs choke, otherwise I'll have to go into witness protection.:(:

Palehose13
08-21-2004, 12:58 PM
:threadsucks

I don't give up until the Sox are mathematically eliminated. Rip on me all you want. Say I told you so all you want. Do what you guys need to do to make yourselves feel better.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 01:07 PM
optimists, optimists, optimists:tsk:

Palehose13
08-21-2004, 01:16 PM
optimists, optimists, optimists:tsk:
In my mind, I have no other option.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Dan:

Considering nine sell outs, over two million in attendence, it'll be interesting to see the fall out this off season if once again, the organization does nothing.

Lip

Frankfan4life
08-21-2004, 02:33 PM

As great as all the Bulls' success was in the 90's, I'd trade all of those championships in a heartbeat to be able to have a few with the old man while we watched the Sox clinch the series.

Man, this is depressing. Who needs a drink?I'm about the same age as your father and just like him I feel that I might never see the White Sox in a World Series, not to mention winning one. It bothers me a lot. I keep thinking about the loyal Sox fan who died recently, the one the Sox paid for his funeral, and that he died without enjoying a world series win and how much that win would have meant to him.

This talk about next year all the time just isn't cutting it for me. We're a big market team in a weak division full of smaller market teams. We should have been dominating this division for YEARS! Yet, we can't even put together back-to-back division wins. The Twins are on their way to a 3-peat, for crying out loud. Even when the Sox have the right combination of hitters and pitchers, we never seem to catch a lucky break. We've lost badly in the first round of the playoffs and then we fail to make the playoffs again for years. Wild Card, you say, duh, what's that? Now it has been FOUR years since we've won a division title and we might even finish in THIRD place this year with a LOSING record. It's just not getting any better. This is not acceptable.

Please JR and KW, please stop this NOW. Please do whatever you have to do to put a consistent winning team on the field for the fans. I'm tired of the Sox being the laughingstock of the AL Central. It's already gone on for far too long. The fans DESERVE a winner!

I'll take that drink now! :gulp:

balke
08-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Count me out too... We couldn't pitch our way out of a paper bag right now.

The only motivation I can find to watch is to bet on whether the sox end up 4th 3rd or 2nd. I think this season's result comes whether its Frank and Maggs and SHoney injured, or any 2-3 Starters on the team. Before the season started, The sox looked about one injured player away from being a bad team. When they survived without Valentin for a while,and without Maggs, I was shocked. I'm hoping for some depth next season if KW is serious about a run. We can laugh at these 100 mil teams that don't have the best records out there, but they do have massive depth that has helped them through injuries all season.

I'm ssang, and I'm still an IDIOT!
08-21-2004, 05:18 PM
After last season I finally learned my lesson for this year. There is no hope. I'll go to games and root for the team to win. But I don't expect anything out of them. It makes this time of year a lot less depressing, though it still sucks. I mean it's only August 21 and a new wave of fans is finally facing the sad reality, that the next 6 weeks are completely meaningless for the Sox. The second wave discovered this when frank and Magglio went down. The first wave gave up when KW did very little this winter to imrove this team.

It was fun watching the team play well the first half. And while the injuries have hurt this team, don't kid yourself too much. There are a ton of holes to fill on this team. Hopefully after 4 long seasons, KW will see that and make some major changes. The last thing he should do is bring back the same team next year and hope Frank and Magglio are healthyy for the season.

Like 2003, I want a major shakeup. It didn't happen then, partly because KW had some guys signed to immovable contracts. But it damn well better happen now if this team wants to ahve a realistic chance of winning next season.

The Sox division is going to get tougher, not easier. They couldn't win hte last 4 years when the division was the weakest in baseball. Now there are curently 3 teams over .500. Detroit has a real GM and will be making strides to improve. Cleveland will go out and get some bullpen help and improve. Minnesota's been in it every year despite the fact that they lose key players to free agency. KC is currently the weakest team in the division, but part of that is due to a lot of injuries. They should be more competitive next year.

Let's hope KW has the smarts to build a winning team. So far he hasn't showed me anything, other then he can be aggressive, has an anger managment problem, and talk tough. Great. How about winning a division for once let alone a World Series?

Bob
I 100% agree with EVERYTHING you said. Especially the stuff about Kenny Williams. I wish more people would realize that just because you have an intense GM, with passion for the organization, and an extreme competitive streak doesn't mean he is a good GM. Bottom line is that KW is average to below average as a GM. What pisses me off the most is that he is one arrogant SOB! What has he done in his 4 years after taking over a division winner??? NOTHING. They've been worse. And if you blame the Sox lack of success on injuries than you're acting like a dillusional Cub fan! Also, for every solid trade he has made I can name you 2 AWFUL trades. So please don't go there. Injuries have hurt us, no doubt, but the White Sox failures are due to numerous holes on the roster. Overall, KW has been a failure since taking over.

P.S. I hate Joe Borchard. I wish he would disappear from our lives. Borchard = worst player in major league history. Yeah, that's right!

TornLabrum
08-21-2004, 05:32 PM
In my mind, I have no other option.
Give yourself another decade or two. You'll be as resigned to your fate as we 50-somethings are.

gosox41
08-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I 100% agree with EVERYTHING you said. Especially the stuff about Kenny Williams. I wish more people would realize that just because you have an intense GM, with passion for the organization, and an extreme competitive streak doesn't mean he is a good GM. Bottom line is that KW is average to below average as a GM. What pisses me off the most is that he is one arrogant SOB! What has he done in his 4 years after taking over a division winner??? NOTHING. They've been worse. And if you blame the Sox lack of success on injuries than you're acting like a dillusional Cub fan! Also, for every solid trade he has made I can name you 2 AWFUL trades. So please don't go there. Injuries have hurt us, no doubt, but the White Sox failures are due to numerous holes on the roster. Overall, KW has been a failure since taking over.

P.S. I hate Joe Borchard. I wish he would disappear from our lives. Borchard = worst player in major league history. Yeah, that's right!
KW has made a couple of good moves this year, to his credit. But overall, I don't see what people see in him.

Someone said that KW couldn't do much in 2003 because he couldn't add payroll. Well who was the person who signed all these guys to contracts that bogged the payroll down.

I was hoping he'd resign last season, but he didn't. Based on his comments it looks like he's going to be back next season. Let's hope the 5th time is the charm for him and that he finally gets it right. If not, I'm sure all the KW supporters could find more excuses for him and why he failed yet again.

But overall he is a below average GM and it's reflected in the teams play.

Bob

Palehose13
08-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Give yourself another decade or two. You'll be as resigned to your fate as we 50-somethings are.You are probably right.

nasox
08-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Good, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
***? This was unwarranted. What a piece of crap. I just said that our team isn't going anywhere. If you want to hold on and follow blindly,go to the north side. We don't need people who avoid the truth around here. Jeez.:dtroll:

gobears1987
08-21-2004, 08:33 PM
We have a chance next year, the Twinkies will lose half the team to FA

Palehose13
08-21-2004, 09:22 PM
***? This was unwarranted. What a piece of crap. I just said that our team isn't going anywhere. If you want to hold on and follow blindly,go to the north side. We don't need people who avoid the truth around here. Jeez.:dtroll:
Well, I still have a bit of hope so I'm a bit offended that because I am "holding on" then I should be a cub fan. I'm not looking to pick a fight here, nasox, but are you saying that you should be the "official" towel thrower and because you say it is over that the rest of us should blindly follow your lead?

JohnBasedowYoda
08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
i agree that we're done and will prolly see a 3rd place finish. But that won't keep me from going to some games and having fun.

By the way my record for games is 6 and 9. Pretty crummy. That includes a loss in detroit and a win in minny(for the sweep).

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2004, 10:11 PM
i agree that we're done and will prolly see a 3rd place finish. But that won't keep me from going to some games and having fun.

By the way my record for games is 6 and 9. Pretty crummy. That includes a loss in detroit and a win in minny(for the sweep).
good man, good man. i respect that. i was at the first game of the twins sweep on us and the only game we won vs the tigers this series.:cool:

Lip Man 1
08-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Bob:

Unless Kenny resigns for personal or health reasons he is going to be the G.M. for as long as Uncle Jerry owns the team.

If you want to get rid of kenny you better start hoping Uncle Jerry sells.

Lip

MikeW
08-21-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry fellow Sox fans,but I can't give up yet. I have seen 45 seasons come and go and I just can't accept us as being done just yet. The old saying goes; where there is life,there is hope.

TornLabrum
08-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry fellow Sox fans,but I can't give up yet. I have seen 45 seasons come and go and I just can't accept us as being done just yet. The old saying goes; where there is life,there is hope.If you've followed the Sox for 45 years, you should know better!

MikeW
08-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Your right, I'm just being foolishly optimistic. Nothing else to look forward to; the Bears don't look so good, there probably won't be any hockey and the Bulls are the Bulls. It's a long time until next year...

idseer
08-21-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry fellow Sox fans,but I can't give up yet. I have seen 45 seasons come and go and I just can't accept us as being done just yet. The old saying goes; where there is life,there is hope.
other than just blind faith ... what is it about this team that says to you they can still win it? without frank and magglio they have proven they are a sub .500 team haven't they? seriously, i would like a reason for your optimism ... or anyone's who still thinks the sox can beat out the 2 teams ahead of them with 40 some games left. what do you think will change ... either about the sox or about minnesota or cleveland?

saying you hope for a miracle is one thing, but saying you really think they have what it takes to win this division just doesn't compute.

so please .... let's hear your reasons.

MikeW
08-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Call it blind faith if you will, but regardless of how bad we have played the last month or so, I still see a streak where we go 16 of 22. I base this on our starting pitching. I like what I see with Buerhle,Garcia and Contreras. Garland is subpar and our fifth starter is a joke. We can get hot, because I believe Minnesota is playing way over their head and I'm not convinced about Cleveland. I feel the same frustration that we can't beat the so called easy teams in the division and our yearly collapse on the West Coast, so with that and I'm sure I won't convince anyone, but I see the glass as half full and not half empty. I have been wrong about the Sox a thousand times over the years, I just have to believe that the breaks will come our way. God knows we are WAY overdue, even though he is a Yankees fan.

samram
08-22-2004, 12:12 AM
Call it blind faith if you will, but regardless of how bad we have played the last month or so, I still see a streak where we go 16 of 22. I base this on our starting pitching. I like what I see with Buerhle,Garcia and Contreras. Garland is subpar and our fifth starter is a joke. We can get hot, because I believe Minnesota is playing way over their head and I'm not convinced about Cleveland. I feel the same frustration that we can't beat the so called easy teams in the division and our yearly collapse on the West Coast, so with that and I'm sure I won't convince anyone, but I see the glass as half full and not half empty. I have been wrong about the Sox a thousand times over the years, I just have to believe that the breaks will come our way. God knows we are WAY overdue, even though he is a Yankees fan.
I think the "Twins are playing over their heads" thing is old now. They've been the team in the division for 3 years now. They have the best pitcher, maybe in the AL, and another very good one, a very good bullpen, and a versatile offense. They played poorly for two weeks when out on the coast, and the Sox couldn't beat the Tigers or Royals to make up any ground. Cleveland made their run, but the Twins beat them to stay in first place, and now the Tribe has lost about 6 in a row, and the race is basically over. The Twins have won when they have needed to, and the Sox haven't, nor have the Sox shown any ability to win more than 3 or 4 in a row.

I hate saying nice things about the Twins.:angry:

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2004, 12:34 AM
I hate saying nice things about the Twins.:angry:Try living here and having to listen to "hey, what happened to your White Sox" about ten times a day. My standard response has now become the Dick Cheney response.

The Twins are a much more balanced ballclub than the White Sox are. They are better defensively, their starting pitching is at least as good, with Santana being a Cy Young candidate, but they are also struggling at the four and five starters. When they got Stewart back and brought up Morneau to stay, they became a much better offensive club at about the same time we lost Frank and Maggs and became a much worse offensive club.

As was already stated, the Twins have apparently been playing over their heads for three years now. That idea has become a little stale.

Viva Magglio
08-22-2004, 12:44 AM
For the fourth season in a row (and the fourth consecutive season of KW's general management), we pessismists have proven to be right when we said we were in trouble. Of course, all of us pessismists would have loved nothing better than to be completely wrong. No doubt, all of us would want to see a miracle comeback. However, it will not be this season.

StillMissOzzie
08-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Thank you.

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

SMO
:mad:

Dan H
08-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Dan:

Considering nine sell outs, over two million in attendence, it'll be interesting to see the fall out this off season if once again, the organization does nothing.

Lip
I would like to see a reaction at SoxFest if the team does nothing. I am convinced the Sox will do something, but I don't know if it will be dramatic enough to turn the team around. I know I won't be impressed if the organization makes some minor deals and then expects huge fan interest.

jabrch
08-22-2004, 10:31 AM
He just has a share with a bunch of owners. He's not calling all the shots. He gets as much say as the other owners in the Sox.
That's not entirely true...

1) He has a larger share than any other single owner.

2) He is the chairman of the board.

3) He organized the ownership group - and singlehanded selected all of its memebers. He must approve any new members if old ones chose to sell.

4) And he, via the board, has the right to buy anyone's shares before the sell them on the open market.

JR is in charge - make no mistake about that. I have no interest in blaming him for all the team's problems - but I won't give him absolution either.

losingugly2004
08-22-2004, 10:32 AM
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

SMO
:mad:
"C'mon boys! We can take this thing!!"- Col. Robert Gould Shaw at Ft. Wagner,1863.

rmusacch
08-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Think of it this way...once the Cubbies win the WS, we'll become the lovable losers and everybody will be a Sox fan all over the world. Ozzie will become an icon.

BTW, JR is not the only one who owns the team. I'm sick of hearing, let's hope he sells. He just has a share with a bunch of owners. He's not calling all the shots. He gets as much say as the other owners in the Sox.
Yes but he does own 51% of the team.

TornLabrum
08-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Closer to 5%, Ray.

jabrch
08-22-2004, 11:23 AM
That's not true. He is the largest single shareholder. I have heard estimates ranging from 5-7%, but he is by no means the MAJORITY shareholder.

nasox
08-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Well, I still have a bit of hope so I'm a bit offended that because I am "holding on" then I should be a cub fan. I'm not looking to pick a fight here, nasox, but are you saying that you should be the "official" towel thrower and because you say it is over that the rest of us should blindly follow your lead?
This wasn't based at you. It was based at clembasall who told me to not let the "door hit me on the way out". I tried to keep hope for as long as I could. I could have jumped off in April, June, July. But I waited as long as I could. I am glad that you have hope. I just am too angry with this team to hope for them anymore. Don't follow anything blidnly. I didn't ask you to.

mcfish
08-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Anyone want to make a post here about the Twin's schedule?

PaulDrake
08-23-2004, 12:40 PM
The Sox were not going to win the division even with their two big hitters. This team has so many holes, shortcomings, weaknesses whatever you want to call them. The first half of 2000 got everyone so pumped up and we've been living off the hype ever since. Now we have a major rebuilding project ahead - again. I think the Sox are looking at a scenario not unlike the period from 1986-89. In the last decade or so every major professioinal team in Chicago has hit rock bottom. The Hawks and Bulls are still there. I hope it won't happen to the Sox because they can least afford it. This is my 48th season of following baseball and rooting for the Sox, and I'm getting weary. Of the sixteen original teams the White Sox have the fewest WS appearances. I'd like another one before I'm really old and crotchety.

Hangar18
08-23-2004, 01:44 PM
When we got swept by the cubs, that was when I Got off this
Loser Express. That weekend showed me all our WEAKNESSES.
How different this season wouldve been had we Kept
Colon, Graffanino, Gordon, THEN Added the other key players
we needed. Instead, we replaced Colon with Wright, Graff with
Gload, Gordon with Jackson. You can see the Results.
Of course, didnt help we Lost Our Best Player Magglio (and they
may let him go......meaning we'll need ANOTHER guy just like him...
not a Joe Borchard)

But on a good note ......... LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY WE SAVED!!!!

balke
08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Try living here and having to listen to "hey, what happened to your White Sox" about ten times a day. My standard response has now become the Dick Cheney response.

The Twins are a much more balanced ballclub than the White Sox are. They are better defensively, their starting pitching is at least as good, with Santana being a Cy Young candidate, but they are also struggling at the four and five starters. When they got Stewart back and brought up Morneau to stay, they became a much better offensive club at about the same time we lost Frank and Maggs and became a much worse offensive club.

As was already stated, the Twins have apparently been playing over their heads for three years now. That idea has become a little stale.
I was really looking forward to the race we'd have with them when they got back stewart, and we only had Maggs out. They are a good team, we had a good team. It would've been a great race. Injuries suck.

balke
08-23-2004, 07:00 PM
When we got swept by the cubs, that was when I Got off this
Loser Express. That weekend showed me all our WEAKNESSES.
How different this season wouldve been had we Kept
Colon, Graffanino, Gordon, THEN Added the other key players
we needed. Instead, we replaced Colon with Wright, Graff with
Gload, Gordon with Jackson. You can see the Results.
Of course, didnt help we Lost Our Best Player Magglio (and they
may let him go......meaning we'll need ANOTHER guy just like him...
not a Joe Borchard)

But on a good note ......... LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY WE SAVED!!!!
I'll take the money, we're lucky Colon didn't take our 13 mil offer. We're paying Garcia 9 for much better #'s. I think our biggest mistake was not dealing maggs. I think KW knew the fans would throw a fit if we lost him early this season, but the guy was making 15 mil. Then we ended up paying for him to do leg kicks in the pool.

Losing Tony was a wierd move, but I don't really miss him that much. I was just appaulled we kept Jose over him, we needed 2 cheap SS IMO. Should've kept Tony, and gotten a more veteran player to work with him.

I remember hearing before the sox season was over, that it didn't matter how much money we put up for Gordon, he was gone. Yanks would've matched it, or he would've refused. He just wanted to move somewhere where he could be THE CLOSER or a star (remember that tug of war between him and Koch... ugh). I don't think anyone would mind being second fiddle to Rivera.

cubhater77
08-23-2004, 08:40 PM
r.i.p. 2004 whitesux. yes i'm a whitesox fan. i've been going to games since i was 5.('82). in the years ive followed this franchise, i've never seen a team this heartless, this pathetic. first place on the line vs the twins, and they come into our house, and we get hummiliated! even though our nothern league team, the railcats suck, @ least their games are competitive. i's rather plunk my money on them than this horse s%%% team! i'll be relocating next summer, hopefully near somewhere that has a competitive team. i'll always be a sox fan, but this team as is, does not deserve nor will not get one red cent out of me! we need a team that can play fundie ball, not swing for the fences every time up. our pitching is the worst i've ever seen. garcia does not impress me. marte is horrid of late. garland is a joke. please kw, trade him, even for a bag of baseballs or can of pine tar! i'm so damn sick of flub fans bragging. thank goddess the wolves start soon. thiis team makes me wanna hurl. borchard is awful. he couldn't bat in an rbi if his life depended on it. screw this, i'm done watching games. i seriously hope the flubs make the playoffs so our brother team, the cardinals can stomp em in the playoffs. everybody sing along at the arrival of one diversion from this mess of a team. bear down chicago bears!

TomParrish79
08-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I am going down with the ship and wouldnt rather go down with any other team.

Keep the faith baby!!

Harris=God
08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
On a Lighter Note

:reinsy :KW

This team may be pathetic, worthless, and horrible but at least we saved a bunch of money on our car insurance by switching to geico!

TomParrish79
08-23-2004, 09:40 PM
good post

I mean seriously all the complaining in the world isnt gonna change the fact that we had some bad luck this year with Frank and Magglio getting hurt.

I was talking with my brother the other day about if Frank and Magglio had stayed healthy we would probably have had 5 guys get to or over 30 HR's.

cubhater77
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
what do this year's team and a giant turd have in common besides they both stink? they both went kurplop in a hurry!

alohafri
08-24-2004, 10:04 AM
"As great as all the Bulls' success was in the 90's, I'd trade all of those championships in a heartbeat to be able to have a few with the old man while we watched the Sox clinch the series."

---JR said a few years ago that he would trade the Bulls 6 championships for 1 White Sox world series. Unfortunately, he doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

--Mrs. Aloha

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 05:49 PM
We have a chance next year, the Twinkies will lose half the team to FA
I really HOPE jerry reinsdorf didnt read your post, or else Next Year is going to be even LONGER than this year. Jerry Reinsdorf ........Just go away

Hangar18
08-24-2004, 05:53 PM
"As great as all the Bulls' success was in the 90's, I'd trade all of those championships in a heartbeat to be able to have a few with the old man while we watched the Sox clinch the series."

---JR said a few years ago that he would trade the Bulls 6 championships for 1 White Sox world series. Unfortunately, he doesn't put his money where his mouth is.

--Mrs. Aloha
YUP........ that makes great ink on paper, but I dont believe anything Jerry Reinsdorf tells us. By the way Alohas, I saw you guys on TV right before the Friday Elvis Game.

cubhater77
08-24-2004, 07:58 PM
maybe geico can buy the sox. please sell owners sell!