PDA

View Full Version : This Day In Sox History 8/21

Lip Man 1
08-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Some good ones here.....

This Date In Sox History 8/21

8-21-55: Sox 2, Det. 0 AND Sox 8, Det. 2 - The Sox sweep the Tigers behind the stellar pitching of Connie Johnson and Dick Donovan. The club is now at 73-46 and only trailed the Yankees by a half game. This marked Donovan’s return after missing three weeks with a sudden attack of appendicitis. However despite the strong return, he’d only be able to go 2-5 the rest of the season costing the Sox dearly as they’d lose the pennant by five games, the exact number of starts Dick missed. He was 13-5 before the attack.

8-21-59: Sox 5, Wash. 4 - It was 'Nellie Fox Night' and the Sox gave generously to their little second baseman. Among the items Fox got was a shotgun, two automobiles and a 28 foot sailboat which Nellie traded in for land in Pennsylvania. Gerry Staley picked up the win in relief. Johnny Romano came off the bench to deliver a pinch hit bases loaded two run single in the 6th inning to give the Sox the lead then ‘Jungle’ Jim Rivera robbed Clint ‘Scrap Iron’ Courtney of a home run in the 8th inning, leaping almost into the first row of seats to pull down his drive. The Sox were 71-47 and led the league by two and a half games.

8-21-73: Sox 4, @ Cleve. 0 - The story in this game was Stan Bahnsen who came within a single out of tossing a no hitter. Bahnsen had the game in hand, the question was could he get the no-no. In the Indians 9th inning John Lowenstein flew out to John ‘The Jet’ Jeter, ‘Buddy’ Bell popped out to Bill Melton. That brought up former Sox outfielder Walt ‘No Neck’ Williams. Melton for some reason, moved in and closer to the line. Afterwards Bill said that he had a hunch Williams would be bunting. He wasn’t. Williams hit a ground ball single to left ending the drama. If Melton had been playing his usual position, he grabs it and Bahnsen goes in the record books. On a personal note, I vividly remember watching this game in the basement of our home in Oak Lawn. It stood out in my mind after thirty years because the next day I left for the University of Kentucky to start college. It was the last Sox game I saw for a very long time. Sox record:59-66. Fourteen games behind the A’s.

8-21-83: Sox 3 @ Tex. 1 - Carlton Fisk hit a two run home run, Floyd Bannister struck out nine in six innings and the Sox express roared on. They had an eight game lead in the division with a record of 68-54.

8-21-90: Sox 4, Oak. 1 - The Sox were desperately trying to close the gap on the A’s and for the second night in a row were able to do it. Carlton Fisk, came off the bench to stroke a bases loaded pinch hit double driving in three runs, part of a four run seventh inning. Greg Hibbard got the win with relief help from Bobby Thigpen. The Sox were 71-49 and had cut Oakland’s lead to four and a half games.

Lip