PDA

View Full Version : Is Garland actually James Baldwin

rwcescato
08-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Excuse me if i am wrong but is not Garland become James Baldwin.
Baldwin was nothing but a .500 pitcher at best. When the chips were against the wall he stunk. The thing i do remember about Baldwin was his hilights when he gave up a home run. All I saw was his head looking up and back after every pitch. Now I see baldwin,Garland and Bere out of the same mold. To much expectation and to little reward. I say send him out and put him in the same discard pile as those two. Lest bring on another disappointing prospect. Next year the only expectations I will have will be last place so I am not disappointed again.
Rich

fledgedrallycap
08-20-2004, 03:06 PM
You made me laugh on just the thread title....

But I don't think there is much to compare besides they both under-achieved, but Baldwin at least reached a certain level of performance that deemed him worthy of a good SP. Jon Garland has yet to do this.

duke of dorwood
08-20-2004, 03:47 PM
No-JB was a clubhouse leader and could battle thru trouble to stay in games.

No comparison to Garland

The Wimperoo
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Baldwin was nothing but a .500 pitcher at best. When the chips were against the wall he stunk. The thing i do remember about Baldwin was his hilights when he gave up a home run. All I saw was his head looking up and back after every pitch. Now I see baldwin,Garland and Bere out of the same mold. To much expectation and to little reward. I say send him out and put him in the same discard pile as those two. Lest bring on another disappointing prospect. Next year the only expectations I will have will be last place so I am not disappointed again.
Rich:?: Is this all supposed to be in teal? Bere was outstanding until his arm blew up. To even mention his name with Garland is a joke. Baldwin was tough out there on the mound, he battled. If I recall correctly he ended up being hampered by an arm injury as well that severly disabled his ability. This thread is worthless.

Fungo
08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Baldwin was tough out there on the mound, he battled.Exactly, he and Jon are of different mindsets. Jon is content with being mediocre.

rwcescato
08-20-2004, 05:21 PM
:?: Is this all supposed to be in teal? Bere was outstanding until his arm blew up. To even mention his name with Garland is a joke. Baldwin was tough out there on the mound, he battled. If I recall correctly he ended up being hampered by an arm injury as well that severly disabled his ability. This thread is a worthless.
They are all disappointing pitchers that amounted to nothing. Yes Beres arm had an injury but all in all just a disappointing prospect that amounted to nothing. Not even prospects in return. Bere might have brought someone but I am not sure who it was. Lets trade the guy so we at least get a rookie league prospect.
Rich

Dub25
08-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Is Garland Baldwin? No, he is Jaime Navarro. Blames the team for his crap pitching.

freshdill
08-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Garland is Baldwin? Baldwin had one decent season, 2000. Every other time he went out, he was a disaster waiting to happen. I at least felt that he didn't give us any better chance to win that JG, for example.

Garland's last outing was disappointing. But to say JB battled and all this crap is horse dudu. He sucked.

dill

TornLabrum
08-20-2004, 07:59 PM
I was thinking about Garland/Baldwin on my way into the city today, and I did find one thing they have in common. Baldwin, like Garland, had a propensity for several years after he came up to give up the "big inning."

nofluke69
08-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Baldwin helped lead his team to a play off series. Can't say the same about judy!!! Baldwin was a leader in the club house, judy is boarder line cancer. Baldwin at least looked and talked like he gave a damn, judy............?

Lip Man 1
08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Baldwin had a very good 1996 season in addition to 2000 and one can not forget how he pitched his guts out in game #3 of the 2000 ALDS on a bad arm. That probably ended his career.

For his guts and leadership alone he's worth two Garland's.

Jon had never had one good season let alone two and for those who still think he's going to have a 'breakout' campaign some decade, give it up. It's not going to happen.

Lip

Soxzilla
08-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah, you've obviously only been a sox fan for a few years. JB pitched his freaking heart out in game 3 of the alds. His arm was completely ruined and he still battled against seattle IN seattle when we were do or die for our playoff lives. He kept US in that game until foulke decided to blow it in the 9th.

That alone is more than that sorry excuse for a douche Garland has done in his entire career.

:threadsucks

poorme
08-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, you've obviously only been a sox fan for a few years. JB pitched his freaking heart out in game 3 of the alds. His arm was completely ruined and he still battled against seattle IN seattle when we were do or die for our playoff lives. He kept US in that game until foulke decided to blow it in the 9th.

That alone is more than that sorry excuse for a douche Garland has done in his entire career.
BINGO

Viva Magglio
08-20-2004, 10:26 PM
No, Garland is not James Baldwin. Garland is a s***head.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Perhaps somebody else has already noted this. However it was Jon Garland who lost to Detroit 9-2 back on July 25 at Sox Park, breaking the team's 4-game winning streak. The Sox then lost 7 straight. The team's record since that game has been 8-16.

To refresh everyone's memory, it was during the post-game press conference on July 25 game that Ozzie made his comments about Garland needing to step up and not nibble. Garland heard about it and flatly replied, "That's just how I pitch."

Garland is far worse than just the losses he has piled up the last two months. Comparing him to James Baldwin is a joke, too. That guy probably ended his career trying to give the '00 Sox one lousy playoff win. Garland is a spineless piece of **** loser who will even show up his manager during a pennant race rather than own up to pitching lousy.

Garland isn't Baldwin. He is Jose Paniaqua's talent crossed with Jaime Navarro's mouth.

:jaime
"Jon, we could use one more parking cars out here."

Soxzilla
08-21-2004, 03:40 AM
Perhaps somebody else has already noted this. However it was Jon Garland who lost to Detroit 9-2 back on July 25 at Sox Park, breaking the team's 4-game winning streak. The Sox then lost 7 straight. The team's record since that game has been 8-16.

To refresh everyone's memory, it was during the post-game press conference on July 25 game that Ozzie made his comments about Garland needing to step up and not nibble. Garland heard about it and flatly replied, "That's just how I pitch."

Garland is far worse than just the losses he has piled up the last two months. Comparing him to James Baldwin is a joke, too. That guy probably ended his career trying to give the '00 Sox one lousy playoff win. Garland is a spineless piece of **** loser who will even show up his manager during a pennant race rather than own up to pitching lousy.

Garland isn't Baldwin. He is Jose Paniaqua's talent crossed with Jaime Navarro's mouth.

:jaime
"Jon, we could use one more parking cars out here."
:JB
"Man, whoever started this thread. Im gonna sucka punch their hatin' bitch ass! Thanks for the props peeps, too bad I'm stuck out here in hell, I mean, New york. Why don't you give me some love to JR. I'm cheap!"

Now, if you want to make a comparison of garland to any former sox pitcher, these would be much FAIRER...

:eloaiza:
"Jon who? Hey, I won 21 games last season, it's not my fault the sox offense only gave me 6.33 runs a game. Jesus, you want me to hit the ball for those fools too!?!?"

OR

:butter
"Who the hell eats peanut butter sandwiches?"

Whitesox029
08-22-2004, 12:47 AM
RichThis question hinges on one thing: How slow does JG walk off the mound? If Maggs/Perez/Borchard can beat him in by a considerable margin, then he's become James Baldwin.

Dice
08-22-2004, 10:12 AM
At least Baldwin has a winning record in a season, whereas I have yet to see Garland accomplish that feat.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-22-2004, 10:52 AM
I think 2004 might be the season we remember as the one the Sox finally got fed up with Jon Garland and his attitude. Ozzie clearly hates him and everyone knows Kenny Williams is quick to fly off the handle with any player he thinks isn't following the company line he sets from the GM office. (see Rauch, Jon.)

The smart money says Jon Garland is not with this team next April.
:cool:

Personally I think Garland is useful, but not as a reliable #3 pitcher. I'll know the Sox are truly set for winning a championship (or something of real consequence, like a pennant) if they acquire a pitching staff good enough to push Jon Garland back to the #5 slot.

Given his current cementhead attitude, that's all Jon Garland is good for. Skip his turn whenever possible. Send him into the bullpen for long relief duty if he needs work. Depress his free agent market value as much as possible. Re-sign him for cheap, then move him into more important roles as his attitude (maturity?) improves. He is still young enough to keep around and pitch mop-up duty, hoping someday he gets his head put on straight.

He'll never become a valuable pitcher while still thinking he is indispensable to the team... he needs to eat that crock of **** his cementhead still believes about himself.

Jon Garland is a punk and shouldn't be trusted with anything of value... like a regular spot in the rotation. Let him figure it out from the end of the bench. It's his head that needs work, not his arm.