PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley: *Official* Countdown to Shutdown thread

MRKARNO
08-20-2004, 11:15 AM
The city has stated that if Wrigley does not adequately prove that its repairs have been done correctly by Monday at noon, that the city will shut Wrigley down for Monday's game. We all pretty much know the story and the title of the thread is relatively self-explanitory.

72 Hours 45 Minutes to Shutdown

OG4LIFE
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
man.... with all the negative press the cubs and their shrine have been getting, if the sox could just go on a run, they could steal a lot of the middle of the road chicago fans- more $$ for our team!

TDog
08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Still, I bet most people would rather be hit with large chunks of concrete than have to look at empty blue seats.

DumpJerry
08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
The Sox are in Detroit Monday.......we need the Flubs to play at Comiskey! $12.00 beers, $10.00 hot dogs ($3.00 for mustard), etc. It'll be a blast! Use the money raised on Monday to offer Matt Clement a $30,000,000 contract, it'll drive the Flubs batty! Mr. Sensitive (formerly known as Shammy) will be verrrrry upset with the Clement offer because he is worth more than any three members of the team combined. Just ask him.

Of course, in the fine print of the Clement contract will be a Dimished Skills Clause to get the club out of actually having paying him that much.:wink:

white sox bill
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Heres linky:http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0408200178aug20,1,4739005.story?coll=chi-news-hedWho Who would have to order this done? Isn't Dailey afraid of political backlash, pi**ing off those flub fans and all? I not really close enough to ChiTown politics to know

MRKARNO
08-20-2004, 12:46 PM
71 Hours 44 minutes

DumpJerry
08-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Heres linky:http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0408200178aug20,1,4739005.story?coll=chi-news-hedWho Who would have to order this done? Isn't Dailey afraid of political backlash, pi**ing off those flub fans and all? I not really close enough to ChiTown politics to knowNothing for him to worry about. Most Flub fans live in the suburbs or are still registered to vote at mommy and daddy's home back home (outside Chicago). Also, given that there is a base of about 32,000 Flub fans here, that's not too many votes to risk.....

Another idea is to make urinating in public a felony. Felons can't vote.:D:

DumpJerry
08-20-2004, 12:49 PM
71 Hours 44 minutesOh, just start the destruction now!!!!!!:rolleyes:

JDP
08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I'd let 'em play at The Cell -- just charge them $10.0M a game, request 50% of the gate and have it be a BYOB (bring your own beer) and BYOHD (bring your own hot dogs). That oughtta do wonders for '05 and beyond payroll!

tebman
08-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Heres linky:http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0408200178aug20,1,4739005.story?coll=chi-news-hedWho Who would have to order this done? Isn't Daley afraid of political backlash, pi**ing off those flub fans and all? I not really close enough to ChiTown politics to knowNah...the city won't shut down the ballpark and Daley's not worried about it. There's really no political downside for him because at the moment he has no real challenge from anybody.

Daley is an emotional guy and he's become an autocrat like his old man. But he does take his job seriously and he knows too that if somebody gets conked on the head by falling concrete, he's going to be asked why. The Tribune has annoyed Daley for years -- not just because of their news coverage (actually, the Sun-Times exposes more corruption than the Trib). But there's this superiority complex the Tribune has, and even though the paper's editors take pains to deny it, of course there's a relationship between the Tribune and the Cubs and WGN radio and WGN-TV and the L.A. Times and all the rest they own.

That's what irks Daley: the Trib's Guardian-Of-The-People posturing while they fret about their business interests. And if it results in a public safety hazard, they act shocked (shocked!) that anyone would accuse them of malfeasance or dereliction.

In this case, I say give 'em hell, Rich.

- tebman

hsnterprize
08-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Nah...the city won't shut down the ballpark and Daley's not worried about it. There's really no political downside for him because at the moment he has no real challenge from anybody.

Daley is an emotional guy and he's become an autocrat like his old man. But he does take his job seriously and he knows too that if somebody gets conked on the head by falling concrete, he's going to be asked why. The Tribune has annoyed Daley for years -- not just because of their news coverage (actually, the Sun-Times exposes more corruption than the Trib). But there's this superiority complex the Tribune has, and even though the paper's editors take pains to deny it, of course there's a relationship between the Tribune and the Cubs and WGN radio and WGN-TV and the L.A. Times and all the rest they own.

That's what irks Daley: the Trib's Guardian-Of-The-People posturing while they fret about their business interests. And if it results in a public safety hazard, they act shocked (shocked!) that anyone would accuse them of malfeasance or dereliction.

In this case, I say give 'em hell, Rich.

- tebmanAnd here's something else to think about...do you really think he was worried about "p**sing off" Meigs Field users after he carved huge "X's" in the runway? He said it was over terrorism fears, but we all knew better...he wanted a park on the property and he knew if he could get the airstrip unusable after midnight when no one was using it, then he couldn't get any legitimate resistance to stop it. Sure, he took flak, but it quickly subsided.

I've covered Hizzoner, 'Da Mare at times, and the last thing you want to do is to be on his **** list. Even though it's the Cubs and Wrigley Field, I'm sure there will be no hesitation for him to "X" Wrigley if he's provoked. Let people get mad if they want...who will legitimately challenge him in the next mayoral election?

MRKARNO
08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
I've covered Hizzoner, 'Da Mare at times, and the last thing you want to do is to be on his **** list. Even though it's the Cubs and Wrigley Field, I'm sure there will be no hesitation for him to "X" Wrigley if he's provoked. Let people get mad if they want...who will legitimately challenge him in the next mayoral election?
Totally right on with this comment. Does anyone here think that our dictator (Saddam Hussein had elections too you know, not to say that Daley is bad like Saddam, but he's still a dictator in practical terms) is afraid of the Tribune Company? THere's no way in hell. If the Trib wants to mess with him as they have, Daley will find every way to get back at them, whether it's closing down Wrigley, forcing WGN to stop using it satilites and things you probably havent thought of yet. I would not be surprised if Daley actually goes through with this because Da Mayor wants the Tribune co. to know that you don't f*** with da mayor and if you do, da Mayor will f*** with you.

Oh BTW 66 hours 23 minutes to shutdown

tebman
08-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Totally right on with this comment. Does anyone here think that our dictator (Saddam Hussein had elections too you know, not to say that Daley is bad like Saddam, but he's still a dictator in practical terms) is afraid of the Tribune Company? THere's no way in hell. If the Trib wants to mess with him as they have, Daley will find every way to get back at them, whether it's closing down Wrigley, forcing WGN to stop using it satilites and things you probably havent thought of yet. I would not be surprised if Daley actually goes through with this because Da Mayor wants the Tribune co. to know that you don't f*** with da mayor and if you do, da Mayor will f*** with you.

Oh BTW 66 hours 23 minutes to shutdownHe's a dictator all right, but he's also not stupid. There's no political downside to him in taking on the Tribune, but there would be if he took on the Cubs. Notice that he never talks about the Cubs -- only about the Tribune. If he said, "The Cubs are negligent..." or "The Cubs run an unsafe property..." he'd be pushing his envelope. But he doesn't say that. He says "The Tribune is negligent..." or "The Tribune doesn't want to talk about it..."

He knows nobody cares about the Tribune. In fact there's probably a significant proportion of the city that simply doesn't like it. But he knows that a lot of people like the Cubs, and he doesn't want to push that button.

You don't get to be dictator by being stupid. That's also why he won't close the ballpark, but he will embarrass and taunt the Tribune. "Don't get mad; get even." "Only get into fights you can win." "What trees do they plant?" Etc., etc. He learned well from the old man.

- tebman

StillMissOzzie
08-20-2004, 09:52 PM
[Mayor Daley] "Hello, Blue Angels? I know youse guys will be in town this weekend for the Air & Water show. How's about a few practice bombing runs at Addison & Clark? Live ammo, all weapons hot. You in?" [/Mayor Daley]

SMO
:D:

flo-B-flo
08-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Did the Trib really inquire about records for a public building? They will play at Comiskey II come playoff time.:redface:

StillMissOzzie
08-21-2004, 01:02 AM
Did the Trib really inquire about records for a public building? They will play at Comiskey II come playoff time.:redface:
THAT would really hurt - the sCrUBS in post-season play at USCF. Say it ain't so!!!!!!

SMO
:(:

Aidan
08-21-2004, 02:17 AM
"Cubs agree to inspection"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1864158
CHICAGO -- The city of Chicago has hired an independent company to inspect Wrigley Field after threatening to cancel Monday night's home game against Milwaukee if the Cubs can't prove the 90-year-old ballpark is safe.

Construction Technology Laboratories will evaluate the ballpark this weekend and verify that repairs made in 2001 were completed correctly, buildings commissioner Stan Kaderbek said Friday.I wouldn't stake my life savings that it is truly an "independent" company that Wrigley is hiring to do the inspection. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
08-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Look, the Mayor has nothing to lose if he took on the Flubs directly. Even if meant they have to play at Comiskey. All those suburban fans can't vote for him, the ones in the city will still vote for him because there will be no real options. Even if the Flubs were forced to move to another city, he would not have to break sweat on election day (he would point out the ample parking that became available in Wrigleyville not to mention the nice, non-urine, smelling lawns).

Of course, if they really did move to another city, there would be threads on here with more dancing bananas than we had when Koch was traded......we'd have to set up a special site to handle the glee....oh my....getting goosbumps at the thought of the Flubs playing somewhere else, far from Chicago......:) :nod: :hug: :nuts:

white sox bill
08-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Look, the Mayor has nothing to lose if he took on the Flubs directly. Even if meant they have to play at Comiskey. All those suburban fans can't vote for him, the ones in the city will still vote for him because there will be no real options. Even if the Flubs were forced to move to another city, he would not have to break sweat on election day (he would point out the ample parking that became available in Wrigleyville not to mention the nice, non-urine, smelling lawns).

Of course, if they really did move to another city, there would be threads on here with more dancing bananas than we had when Koch was traded......we'd have to set up a special site to handle the glee....oh my....getting goosbumps at the thought of the Flubs playing somewhere else, far from Chicago......:) :nod: :hug: :nuts:
Like Baghdad Iraq!:smile:

DumpJerry
08-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Like Baghdad Iraq!:smile:Actually, I was thinking of one of the outer planets of the Solar System.

he_gone_89
08-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Actually, I was thinking of one of the outer planets of the Solar System.
the Pluto Cubs has a nice ring to it

OzzieBall2004
08-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Seeing as no baseball is being played at USCF anymore, I see no reason why they cant just play there...

soxwon
08-22-2004, 04:14 PM
the Pluto Cubs has a nice ring to it

URANUS CUBS

SomebodyToldMe
08-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Seeing as no baseball is being played at USCF anymore, I see no reason why they cant just play there...
zing.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-22-2004, 06:10 PM
URANUS CUBS
baha hahahahaha :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Palehose13
08-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Any word on if there wil be baseball at chewing gum field tonight?

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Actually, I was thinking of one of the outer planets of the Solar System.
That's too close to us. I was thinking more along the lines of the Delta Quadrant- the quarter of the galaxy farthest from us.

DumpJerry
08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
That's too close to us. I was thinking more along the lines of the Delta Quadrant- the quarter of the galaxy farthest from us.Do we really need them in our universe?

RKMeibalane
08-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Do we really need them in our universe?
No, but I can't think of a way to get them out of our universe.

kittle42
08-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Good one. I actually got zinged by a Cub fan last week, too:

Me: "Imagine if they had to play that game Monday in front of a completely empty stadium."

Cub fan: "Yeah, it would be like playing for the White Sox."

DumpJerry
08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
No, but I can't think of a way to get them out of our universe.They already are. Look at their fan base.......

flo-B-flo
08-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey can someone come up with the link of that David Schulz story in the Trib where he calls for them to tear it down and rebuild it? It will be appreciated.:smile: