PDA

View Full Version : At Yesterday's game-I got my first foul ball!

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2004, 08:32 AM
It came off the bat of Joe Borchard. I got invited by some co-workers to join them in the bank seats (4 rows up from the Tigers dugout). The ball bounced from someone's hands and it landed in the seat right infront of me, which was empty. All I had to do was put my hands in the seat and I came up with it. :supernana:

After years and years of attending games, I finally got a ball! Too bad we got spanked. :redneck

dickallen15
08-20-2004, 08:58 AM
That's great. I have season tickets with a friend of mine, and I hadn't gotten a ball for about 4 years. He had about 8 hit right to him sitting next to me. The tides have turned. Over the last 5 games, I came up with 5 balls. 3 catches and 2 caroms.

mike squires
08-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm still waiting on my first foul ball. I'm never really in a location to get one. One game against St. Louis I was sitting in the right field "middle section" Brooke Foryce hit a bomb just right of the foul pole. It kept coming and coming and landed in an empty seat in front of me. It froze me. The guy in front of me grabbed it. I always go down the right field line during batting practice and usually end up with one. I've probably got around 15 in my closet. Oddly two are a Yankee/Met world series ball. One has a black 0marker drawn over the the "world series" part. Damaso threw me one once after I squatted like a catcher and flashed him some signs. He chuckled and then lifted his finger telling me wait a minute. He then chased a ball down right field turned and threw a shot that went "through" another guys mit and into mine. Too bad he can't do the same thing with bats.

LongLiveFisk
08-20-2004, 09:19 AM
I got 3 balls so far....

The first was a foul ball hit by Frank Thomas back in '93.

The second was a foul ball I caught in Cleveland while visiting friends off the bat of John McDonald back in '02.

The third was a bp home run ball I caught this past July 28th vs. the Twins.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-20-2004, 09:52 AM
my friend caught a konerko foul ball at the first game of the twins series.:cool:

JohnBasedowYoda
08-20-2004, 09:54 AM
i threw a home-run ball back

SaltyPretzel
08-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I've never caught a batted ball before, but I caught a ball thrown into the seats by Rowand. There was a little league team in our section, so I gave it to the kid next to me.

duke of dorwood
08-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I've gotten BP home run balls-

My ONLY foul was actually thrown by Tom Seaver when he was with the Sox and hit by Tom Brunansky of Minn-caught a liner hit in the LF corner in old Comiskey. Good thing it was glove day-it was a shot

SAVVY18
08-20-2004, 11:32 AM
I've had 2 close calls. The first one was when I was a teenager in the early-mid 80's in the left field bleachers when a homer flew right over my head landed in the lady's lap behind me. There were 5 guys grabbing for it and whatever else they could grab.

The second one was in the new ballpark, before the strike. I was half way up behind the Sox dugout and a pop foul came our way. I moved over reached up and the damn thing did hit my hand, but caromed up in the air. I watched it, moved over to grab it and some kid fell and took out my knee as I was going to grab it. Needless to say I missed the rebound too.

My good friend was at a game when they had a Charity Celebrity softball game going on before the Sox game and he caught a foul line shot off the bat of one Mr. Michel Jeffery Jordan. They showed it on the news and he has the replay of it.

mike squires
08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
i threw a home-run ball back
How could you have done such a thing?! I'm only half serious. I don't think I would ever give a ball to a kid. I would rather they get their first on their own so they could appreciate it more. You are a better man than I...

HomeFish
08-20-2004, 11:41 AM
My only foul ball came off Jeff Kent at Miller Park earlier this year, obviously at an Astros/Brewers game. It first went into their terrace level, but it bounced from somebody's hands and went straight into my lap.

jabrch
08-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I was one row away from Freddy Lynn's grand slam in the 83 all-star game!

Brian26
08-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Alex Fernandez threw me a ball from the outfield to the bleachers during a batting practice game in '96. Lyle Mouton flipped a ball to me in '98.

GregoryEtc
08-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I've never caught a foul ball or any game or pregame used ball. However, I took my son to his 3rd or 4th game ever at Comerica Park (Tigers vs. Texas) a couple years ago and as we were leavin in the 9th, a foul ball landed right in front of us on the ramp. My son, only 2 1/2 at the time, grabbed it.

Yes, thats right. My 2 1/2 year old son got a foul ball before I DID!

THEN, last year at Comerica again vs. the Sox, we were sitting down the first base line down by the Sox bullpen and Man Soo Lee flipped him a ball because he saw him sittin there looking awesome in his little Sox hat.

Yes, thats right. My now 4 1/2 year old son has caught TWO balls at MLB games and I've got NONE!

As a distraught Keanu Reeves would say, "Woah is me.":rolleyes:

Kuzman
08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
I caught a foul ball off of Joe Crede when they were playin tampa on the 24th... Hooked up with my girlfriend the same night! was a good day :supernana:

CHISOXFAN13
08-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I caught a line drive foul ball in the front row down the left field line off the bat of legendary Royals outfielder Scott Pose against the Sox at Kauffman Stadium in '99. Pays to bring your glove!

Tekijawa
08-20-2004, 02:16 PM
You'll catch about 6 more if you go in the next few weeks only to have a drought for about 4 years... Foul Balls are like Women they come in bunches followed by dry spells that last for what seems like years!!! Try getting really drunk and shagging a few batting practice balls, they're a little easier to get!

:)

MisterB
08-20-2004, 02:54 PM
You'll catch about 6 more if you go in the next few weeks only to have a drought for about 4 years... Foul Balls are like Women they come in bunches followed by dry spells that last for what seems like years!!! Try getting really drunk and shagging a few batting practice balls, they're a little easier to get!

:)
Had to read that again to make sure you were still talking about baseballs in that last sentence...:D:

Rocky Soprano
08-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Had to read that again to make sure you were still talking about baseballs in that last sentence...:D:
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

DumpJerry
08-20-2004, 03:25 PM
A homer once landed in my seat. Of course, I was walking down the steps to my seat when it happened...sigh.

Bo Jackson's homer in his first at bat after the hip replacement landed 7 rows right infront of me. I was on TV!

A buddy of mine sitting next to me got a foul ball at an Indians game (we won 10-1, Alex Fernandez was great, Rookie Jim Thome accounted for the Tribe's only run with a dinger).

I often think about catching Big Frank's walk off Grand Salami in Game 7 of the WS over the Flubs.:bandance: