PDA

View Full Version : Should Garland Be Back Next Year?

WSox8404
08-19-2004, 11:19 PM
I vote no.

Aidan
08-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I would hate to see us trade him and have him become a solid number 2 or 3 pitcher on another team since he's only 25 but he's been in the league for 5 years now. We won't be able to use the "he's young" excuse for much longer. If we could package Garland up for a solid, consistent pitcher, I can't say that I would be upset. I guess I would sign Garland and see how he does next season. If he is still inconsistent, trade him by the deadline.

nodiggity59
08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Garland and Diaz for Sheets.BTW I voted no.

oeo
08-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Wow, he has a bad start and everyone wants him out of here. Keep him, like Aidan said...I would hate to see him leave and be a great 2 or 3.

Soxzilla
08-19-2004, 11:50 PM
A bad start? He has an era over 6 since the all star break.

This is the stretch run, your not allowed to have an era over 6 if your our 4th starter.

CubKilla
08-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Wow, he has a bad start and everyone wants him out of here. Keep him, like Aidan said...I would hate to see him leave and be a great 2 or 3.
He's on bad start number 6.

I've seen enough of Judy..... since 2002. If the right deal comes along, see ya. And if he is back with the team next year, KW better acquire a number 3 or 4 in the offseason and skip Judy's start in the rotation when possible.

ndgt10
08-20-2004, 12:27 AM
I hate seeing Garland out there every 5th day. I can live with a pitcher who gives it his all and doesn't back down from a situation, but not with "mental midget" Judy doing his routine meltdown every start.

Everybody says that this guy has loads of talent, but I must be blind because I don't see anything in him that he truely excels at. I'm no scout, but all I see in Judy is an 88-90 mph fastball, a changeup which he leaves up in the zone most of the time, an occasional curveball, and a "sinker" that I believe is extremely overrated. Add on top of this that he has no guts and no brains, and that to me equals a loser.

DrCrawdad
08-20-2004, 12:30 AM
I heard the first inning. Farmer was doing his usual, 'Jon Garland is going to be great someday...' If Garland is going to be great no doubt that day will be when he's in his fourth team, not with the Sox. The Sox had (another) chance to gain some ground and Garland can't even be good, forget great.

:farmer
I vote no. I'm not only a member of the Jon Garland Fan Club, I'm president!

kitekrazy
08-20-2004, 12:36 AM
I know everyone wants to trade Garland but first you have to find a GM to take him. What makes you think they don't know what we already know?

MisterB
08-20-2004, 12:41 AM
I know everyone wants to trade Garland but first you have to find a GM to take him. What makes you think they don't know what we already know?We found someone to take Kip Wells, and he was as much a diaper-filler as Garland is. I just hope we get someone better than :ritchie in return...

Dub25
08-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I voted yes as long as they find a Pedro or a Clement so Garland can take over the 5th spot. Garland is and will always be a 5th starter. No need for Kenny to find a 5th starter when they already have one.

StillMissOzzie
08-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I know everyone wants to trade Garland but first you have to find a GM to take him. What makes you think they don't know what we already know?If KW can find someone to take Billy Koch off our hands, there must be SOMEBODY who thinks that they can turn Garland around.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: While I would be in no hurry to trade JG, I'd be much happier with him as the #5 guy. At Soxfest, Hawk said that a big key to this season would be for JG to have a breakout year and win 15-17 games. Ain't gonna happen.

And while I'm also not crazy about the term "AAAA" (John Rooney and I agree that either you're a MLB player or you're not), JG is the perfect example of a "AAAA" pitcher.

Get Back There!
08-20-2004, 03:05 AM
All I will say, is that I've defended Garland through all the crap hes come out there with.....even last months bad starts. However, this time, against a mild hitting Tigers team in a hugely important game -- I find it just unaccetable. 4 runs through 6 would have been fine (typical JG) but he couldn't even muster a semi-decent outing and falls to under .500. This game was critical, to move within 4 games, and he was MILES off the mark. I'm fed up. Ship him or keep him as a #5 at best. NOT CLUTCH AT ALL.

34 Inch Stick
08-20-2004, 07:10 AM
He has one more year until he becomes a free agent. I can live with him at the back of the rotation next year and then letting him walk. He's relatively cheap.

ChiSoxBobette
08-20-2004, 07:30 AM
I would hate to see us trade him and have him become a solid number 2 or 3 pitcher on another team since he's only 25 but he's been in the league for 5 years now. We won't be able to use the "he's young" excuse for much longer. If we could package Garland up for a solid, consistent pitcher, I can't say that I would be upset. I guess I would sign Garland and see how he does next season. If he is still inconsistent, trade him by the deadline.
When is this guy going to be a quality starter. Every time we have a big game we need to win and its his turn I would say a majority of the time he gets his cement head bashed. The time has come to cut this loose and if he becomes that quality starter for domeone else so be it becuase he is never going to live up to his potential with our team. As far as signing him and seeing what he'll do next year , we always seem to be doing that with him.
Time To Go Jonny!

SaltyPretzel
08-20-2004, 08:03 AM
"From the first day I got here, probably until the day I leave, people get on me,'' Garland said. "If I don't do good, people are probably going to get on me. People are always getting on me, I'm used to that here. That's not going to change, but I'•not here for them, I'm here for me and my teammates.''

Maybe not for first baseman Paul Konerko.

"Truthfully, in my eyes, the difference in the game was the 4 unearned runs,'' Garland said. "Take those away and it's a 4-4 game. What are you going to do? ''

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intid=38219116

Personally, I think the fans have been very patient with Jon, then he goes out and rips them and blames a teammate for losing the game. What an *******.

LongLiveFisk
08-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Up until last night, I would have said keep him. But I'm getting a little tired of him refusing to acknowledge his suckiness and always blaming the fans, the media, etc. I couldn't stand the whole Koch ordeal but at least he knew how to look in the mirror.

Grow up, Jon.

PaleHoseFan
08-20-2004, 08:16 AM
I know everyone wants to trade Garland but first you have to find a GM to take him. What makes you think they don't know what we already know?There's a sucker born every minute....

Remember, somebody actually took Koch.
:rolleyes:

wdelaney72
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
As a 5th starter only. He should not be penciled in any higher until he has his breakout season we've all been waiting for.

I would trade him only if KW is presented with an offer he can't refuse. Yes, he can be bad, but he's still a decent #5 pitcher.

illiniwhitesox
08-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I heard the first inning. Farmer was doing his usual, 'Jon Garland is going to be great someday...'

Typical of Farmboy. He has the jones for Judy b/c he saw him play highschool ball in California. He never misses a chance to mention this. It's almost as if he is taking credit for tabbing him a major league prospect.

As far as the original post. I am not down on Garland's stuff. I am down, excuse me, way down on what's between his ears. He is a mental midget. Compare Garland's stuff to Beurhle.

What's the difference? I'll concede that one is a southpaw and the other a righty. However, I would also argue that Beurhle understands how to pitch and has a great deal of mental toughness. Judy should take some lessons.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-20-2004, 09:06 AM
anybody else think he might be hurt?

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-20-2004, 09:14 AM

then why the hell play him?? these are HUGE games where we need someone to pitch 100%.

Baby Fisk
08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
anybody else think he might be hurt?Hurt? Hell, most fans haven't even BEGUN ripping on him yet.

Oh, did you mean physically? I don't know, but the way he gingerly lopes around the field on those giraffe legs always looks like he's got shin splints or some foot injury.

inta
08-20-2004, 09:18 AM
As he was leaving the field, Garland appeared to tip his hat to someone in the crowd of 24,554, which jeered him as he left.

"I'm not here for [the fans]," Garland said. "I'm here for myself and my teammates."

class act. you're not here for the people necessary to pay you?
talk a walk judy. you're dead to me.

thepaulbowski
08-20-2004, 09:32 AM
His feelings may be hurt...

I still stay keep him around for the back end of the rotation 4 or 5. Maybe he'll grow up over the off-season.

Erik The Red
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Holy crap. Silvy and Carmen just played the post-game interview on the Moronotti show.

**** this *******. **** him. No WAY he should be back on this team next year.

SoxFan78
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
I just heard his post game comments on Silvy and Carmen. Get this tool out of town. Blames the game on 4 un-earned runs, doesn't care about the fans. Get the F out of here and take your mediocre career with you.

The Sox have been waiting too long for this "prospect" too pan out. Let him pitch on another team. If he does good, oh well, but he won't.

Koch may of sucked, but at least that guy had heart. If you put Koch's heart in Garland, my god, Jon Garland would be a hell of a player.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

infohawk
08-20-2004, 09:45 AM
If KW can acquire two quality starters during the offseason, I say trade Garland. If KW can only acquire one quality starter, then keep Garland because he would probably be a better #5 than anyone else we have.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with Jon. On occasion he throws a great game, but seems to struggle more often than not. I have no confidence in him to pitch well in a big game.

pssondacubs
08-20-2004, 09:52 AM
He's baseballs version of Kordell Stewart. It's always the "He's young, he'll come around" excuse. I've said for the last couple of years "Dump him."

Rush20
08-20-2004, 09:58 AM
He has one more year until he becomes a free agent. I can live with him at the back of the rotation next year and then letting him walk. He's relatively cheap.
I agree. Keep him as the 5th starter and hope to get a .500 record out of him. Better than anything else we've gotten out of that slot over the past few years. Hopefully SOX could then sign or trade for a quality fourth starter.

Garland frustrates the &#^!@ out of me. His approach and the way he carries himself needs to be improved.

Fungo
08-20-2004, 10:03 AM
I missed when Garland was pulled from the game, but I heard that he gestured towards the fans as he went to the dugout. Anyone know what he did?

Erik The Red
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Apparently he tipped his hat to some people that were heckling him.

Viva Magglio
08-20-2004, 10:17 AM
I heard the postgame comments on the Score last night after David Schuster played them for Steve Rosenbloom. Rosenbloom and an army of Sox fan callers unloaded on Judy Garland after that.

I've said it before. I am sick and tired of Judy Garland's act. Remember the soap bar & towel scene from Full Metal Jacket? I think it's time to make Judy feel some soap bars in his sorry backside.

Cubbiesuck13
08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Burly improved when they brought in a mentor, David Wells. Perhaps we need to aquire a mentor for Garland too. We have a good group of young pitchers with great stuff, all we need now is a veteran pitcher. He doen't even have to be very good. We need a Sandy Alomar Jr for the pitching staff.

ChiSoxBobette
08-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I agree. Keep him as the 5th starter and hope to get a .500 record out of him. Better than anything else we've gotten out of that slot over the past few years. Hopefully SOX could then sign or trade for a quality fourth starter.

Garland frustrates the &#^!@ out of me. His approach and the way he carries himself needs to be improved.
Why so once again we can see a 5th starter loose consistently, after hearing this guy spout off about the fans he probably believes hes better than a 5th starter and once he was in that position would undoubtly pout and pitch all the worse. Get rid of him maybe someone thinks they can get him to pitch up to that million dollar arm he is supposed to have.

Dice
08-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Get him outta here.

The Sox should now consider going to a 3-man rotation since this kid is not pulling his weight.:(:

hawkeyesrule
08-20-2004, 11:09 AM
I have no better comment than what my buddy, Duffin told me today: "Get this a****** off the team. I will p*** on your face, Jon Garland"

He was legitimately angry after hearing what Garland had to say, blaming Paulie and the fans. How bout those 3 dingers you gave up, pal?

Jjav829
08-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Absolutely no way he should be back. I'm sick of him and his act. It's always someone elses fault. Be it the fans, or the defense. It's always something with him. Let him go. If he blossoms somewhere else, so be it. I don't care. I'm not taking another season of his crap.

Sufferin
08-20-2004, 11:14 AM
I'd trade Garland right now. He's pitched fairly well lately and they should be able to get a solid return for him. I don't think this kid has the mental makeup to be a solid starter in the majors.

Perfect example ofhti swas the other night, the Sox finally scrape together a run to tie the game and he immediatley gives up a homer to give back the lead. Good pitchers bear down and shut out the other team after their team ties the game.That's a post I put up last year. He started to fool me at the beginning of the year but last night was the last straw for me. The f'n nerve of the guy to place the blame for the loss on one bad throw by Konerko. Garland didn't make a good throw all game, everything he threw was hit on a line somewhere. By saying what he said in the papers he just alienated himself from the rest of the team. So much for chemistry, I feel the final death spiral coming on for this team. I was pissed last week at people writing them off when all they had to do was make up 1 game for evey 10 played, but now with performances and comments like that from Garland I don't see much hope.

I wonder if KW originally approached the Mariners with the deal they ended up with + Garland and Moyer? Seattle might have done that considering they seem to be going young (or maybe they're smarter that that).

Oh well what can you do? I know! :gulp:

Wanne
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm sick of waiting for him to "develop". How many friggin' years are we gonna wait for him to come of age. If he hasn't done it by now...he's not gonna suddenly turn into a Mike Mussina or Greg Maddox (in their prime). What you see is what you're always gonna get. If he can be packaged for something pretty decent...I say DO IT!

Mickster
08-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Burly improved when they brought in a mentor, David Wells. Perhaps we need to aquire a mentor for Garland too. We have a good group of young pitchers with great stuff, all we need now is a veteran pitcher. He doen't even have to be very good. We need a Sandy Alomar Jr for the pitching staff.
Isn't that what Mike Jackson is supposed to be?

RKMeibalane
08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
The Sox should bring Garland only if they're able to upgrade their rotation by dealing other players. At his current level of production, Garland is acceptable as a number four or five starter, but that's it. The Sox have been trying to get by with his as their number three man for the past few seasons, and it hasn't worked.

With the threesome of Buehrle, Garica, and Contreras, the Sox have the makings of a nice rotation. However, they need to add another reliable arm, possibly another left-hander. Garland needs to be pushed back to the five spot. If that can't happen, then the Sox need to think about trading him in order to fill a hole someplace else (second base?).

CubKilla
08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
He's been hurt for about 4 or 5 seasons then. Judy is just a .500, back of the rotation pitcher that was sold to Sox fans as a future ace.

Not to mention he has ZERO class.

Talk a long walk off a short pier Jon.

Fungo
08-20-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm beginning to think the cubs got the better end of this deal.

Only ½ teal.

RavenswoodFan
08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
I vote NO!!! This guy just doesn't have it! If we can trade him for someone better let's do it!:corpseball

Brian26
08-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm done with this headcase.

In the paper this morning he's making Jamie Navarro-like comments about his *unearned* runs. Screw him. If he can't pitch over mistakes down the stretch run, he's worthless.

balke
08-20-2004, 12:49 PM
We could always put shoney in the #5 spot again?

I don't know, he's got some growing up to do, but he's also a pretty alright 2.3 mil #5 starter. The white sox don't really have a strong tradition of class... that's part of the charm. Seems like we always pick up the attitude problems and head cases of the league.

Baby Fisk
08-20-2004, 01:26 PM
It's been interesting watching this poll develop through the day. "Keep Garland" had a comfy lead this morning, but it has steadily eroded as word of Jonny's antics and sound bytes from last night has spread. Lo and behold, "Drop Garland" has just taken the lead!

Foulke You
08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
It is hard for me to work up any sympathy towards Garland after blaming his problems on the fans and his teammates. Hey Jon, let me buy you a mirror. I didn't see the fans or Paul Konerko groove a meatball to Higginson to make the game 7-0. I didn't see the fans or Konerko give up back to back homers in the 2nd. It is time for you to own up to your problems "Mr. laid back Southern California boy".

People can say what they want about Billy Koch as a pitcher (I know, he was bad for us), but at least the guy had the class and the stones to own up to the fact that he just wasn't getting the job done and made no excuses to his teammates or the fans. Obviously, Jon learned nothing by watching how Koch handled himself through extreme adversity.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-20-2004, 04:23 PM
It is hard for me to work up any sympathy towards Garland after blaming his problems on the fans and his teammates. Hey Jon, let me buy you a mirror. I didn't see the fans or Paul Konerko groove a meatball to Higginson to make the game 7-0. I didn't see the fans or Konerko give up back to back homers in the 2nd. It is time for you to own up to your problems "Mr. laid back Southern California boy".

People can say what they want about Billy Koch as a pitcher (I know, he was bad for us), but at least the guy had the class and the stones to own up to the fact that he just wasn't getting the job done and made no excuses to his teammates or the fans. Obviously, Jon learned nothing by watching how Koch handled himself through extreme adversity.
very true about Koch. When he left for FL, i remember him saying in the paper that he was sorry for what happened and that he felt really bad that he let ChiSox fans down. It was very admirable and shows that people who dont perform to their expectations should at least act like a man afterwards. I understand that Judy is probably upset and really frustrated about the situation the Sox have put themselves in, but it never helps to place the blame on other people. its like in school when a kid Fails a test, he goes home and tells his mom it was the teachers fault. Its all BS. own up for your mistakes. youll find that it actually helps improve you as a person.

LongLiveFisk
08-20-2004, 05:03 PM

You pretty much echoed my earlier sentiments. Glad it's not just me! :smile:

JB98
08-20-2004, 05:20 PM
I really don't care what a player thinks of the fans. Garland can bad-mouth me all he wants.

I do care, however, that Garland is a lousy pitcher who won't accept responsibility for his poor performance. I've defended him in the past, but I gave up on him last night. I vote to get rid of him.

misty60481
08-20-2004, 05:30 PM
He seems to have 3 or 4 strong innings at the start keep him for middle relief until he grows up

ClaudelSleptHere
08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't care if he wins two or three Cy Youngs in his next stop. Get him the hell out of my face (I believe that is a vote not to bring him back).