PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie may be suspended again for comments about Wendelstedt

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Just heard this on a SportsCenter update while listening to MJH.

ozzman
08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
two more games, starting tonight. what a joke

bobj4400
08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
two more games, starting tonight. what a joke
How come Kerry Wood can postpone his suspension for 4 months while Ozzie gets his suspension handed down immediately?

BarbG
08-19-2004, 04:43 PM
And when does Blind-As-A-Bat Wendelstadt begin HIS suspension?

Horse-crap.

Tekijawa
08-19-2004, 04:46 PM
I have a feeling you'll be able to look into the tribune tower tonight and see a lone office full of lights. There will sit a lonely man typing away at his computer about how Ozzie is Bad for base ball... Wait make that about 50 offices full of lonley men... Man I can wait to see the paper tomorrow!:o:

benjamin
08-19-2004, 04:50 PM
How come Kerry Wood can postpone his suspension for 4 months while Ozzie gets his suspension handed down immediately?
because players are able to appeal suspensions. Managers are not

Tekijawa
08-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I Love OZZIE!!!

Keep pushing them OZZIE!!!

I can just see a situation like the scene in Breakfast club.

"Your *** is mine for the rest of the year Guillen!"

"FINE"

SoxFan78
08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
It still amazes me that you can get suspended for voicing your opinion.

Big brother is watching you...

Jjav829
08-19-2004, 04:53 PM
I can't wait to hear KW's response to this. He was quiet the first time. This time he won't be so quiet.

BTW, this suspension is BS. :bs:

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 04:56 PM
this suspension is BS. :bs:any1 got bob watson phone number fax number or email addy?

Tekijawa
08-19-2004, 05:01 PM
any1 got bob watson phone number fax number or email addy?
Ozzie and Kenny probably have it on Speed dail by now! lol

Dub25
08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Are you serious... he is suspended again?:angry: :angry:

BarbG
08-19-2004, 05:07 PM
It still amazes me that you can get suspended for voicing your opinion.

First, I believe Ozzie stated the facts of what happened that night, not merely an opinion.

Second, I would do exactly the same thing in his shoes. Wrong me, make a mistake, whatever - but don't LIE, not to me, not about me.

Liars can't stand to be called on it - hence the new suspension.

("Make him stop cawwing me a wiar, Daddy!")

You ROCK, Ozzie.

dickallen15
08-19-2004, 05:09 PM
This latest suspension can be summed up in 2 words: Umpire's union

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Ozzie and Kenny probably have it on Speed dail by now! lol
if cubs fans told on dusty i wonder what we could do to hunter.

jabrch
08-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Managers have no right to appeal suspensions. League rules.

minastirith67
08-19-2004, 05:13 PM
:duck:

Poor Ozzie...have to love his guts though.

Harold Baines gets to show off his managing technique for two more games at least...should be interesting...

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 05:29 PM
it figures why this news came out after puppet selig got his extention. i hope all the umpires who r snobbish fat overweight goto to hell in the next few days because there all @^%#&*@&*(@@^%$#:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

the_valenstache
08-19-2004, 05:34 PM
I can't say I'm exactly angry about this. It's too hilarious. I love Ozzie.

:hawk

"Wilma Henderson from Maquoketa Iowa and I are going to go with Ozzie's stones as the pick to click in tonight's ballgame."

Lip Man 1
08-19-2004, 05:36 PM
The umpires union was broken by MLB a few seasons ago. This was a reaction plain and simple by MLB to Ozzie calling the umpire a 'liar.' The union had nothing to do with it because for all intents and purposes the MLB offices ARE the new umpires union.

I laud Ozzie for his guts but perhaps he should not have gone public with this. He told Watson what he felt, that was enough. Now look for the umps to job the Sox every chance they get.

Lip

daveeym
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think he's going to get ripped by the mass media, maybe a moron or two but the talk radio has his back right now, totally saying he probably knew what he was doing and he should have done it but he's made his point and he should shush now. Bruce levine however believes he's probably screwed the sox for the rest of the year. MJ&H think wendlstadt sucks and is unliked by most veteran umpires and that most umpires will be giving ozzie the "good for you ozzie" on the sly.

DickAllen72
08-19-2004, 05:37 PM
if cubs fans told on dusty i wonder what we could do to hunter.

Huh??? :?:

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 05:39 PM
The umpires union was broken by MLB a few seasons ago. This was a reaction plain and simple by MLB to Ozzie calling the umpire a 'liar.' The union had nothing to do with it because for all intents and purposes the MLB offices ARE the new umpires union.

I laud Ozzie for his guts but perhaps he should not have gone public with this. He told Watson what he felt, that was enough. Now look for the umps to job the Sox every chance they get.

Lip
bruce levine jsut said that they would job the sox, although an interesting thought by jurko that some umps my think hunter is an a hole and they will loose respect for him. remeber not all people like who they work with especially the snobs.

daveeym
08-19-2004, 05:40 PM

Lip The union was bent not broken, it sounds like from everything i've read league wide is that it's now being talked about across the leagues that they've clearly been trying to re-establish their authority and power now that all that hubbub is behind them.

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Huh??? :?:
back in april when dusty got testy and trhew a tempure tantrem. cubs fans behind home plate called the commish office when he actually worked out of ny and tattled on dusty

DickAllen72
08-19-2004, 06:11 PM
back in april when dusty got testy and trhew a tempure tantrem. cubs fans behind home plate called the commish office when he actually worked out of ny and tattled on dusty

I know. But what can Sox fans "tattle" on Hunter about? Ozzie already told Watson and the rest exactly what happened. Plus there is video tape of the incident. If the response to Ozzie telling the truth about Wendlestedt was suspending Ozzie, what could Sox fans say that would change Watson's or Selig's mind?

awesomefan
08-19-2004, 06:49 PM
As you might have thought, Kenny Williams & Hawk are pretty mad about Ozzie gettin' 2 more days added to his suspension.

Hawk blamed it on some other guy named something like Alderson or somethang...Hawk said that Wendelstadt was his puppet.
So Ozzie said that Bob Wendelstadt was a liar & I believe Ozzie. Too bad MLB can punish a manager for speaking his mind. This S-U-C-K-S This is B.S.:angry:

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 06:53 PM
I know. But what can Sox fans "tattle" on Hunter about? Ozzie already told Watson and the rest exactly what happened. Plus there is video tape of the incident. If the response to Ozzie telling the truth about Wendlestedt was suspending Ozzie, what could Sox fans say that would change Watson's or Selig's mind?
you prob wont belive me but i can read people mouth when yelling and i did see the words f**** you ozzie being said to ozzie

bigfoot
08-19-2004, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=BarbG]And when does Blind-As-A-Bat Wendelstadt begin HIS suspension?

When that large festering boil sitting atop his shoulders is lanced, the swelling goes down and he can once again see.

HomeFish
08-19-2004, 07:08 PM
This is far more entertaining than Hawk vs Moron could ever be.

Viva Magglio
08-19-2004, 08:10 PM
This is complete crap. The same league that continues to sing the praises of home run sluggers who used steroids because they "restored the game" in 1998 violates anyone's First Amendment rights just because they tell the truth about incompetent umpires. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Lets hope wood's suspension comes back and haunts the cubs later on. You Da Man Ozzie!

PaulDrake
08-19-2004, 08:37 PM
This is complete crap. The same league that continues to sing the praises of home run sluggers who used steroids because they "restored the game" in 1998 violates anyone's First Amendment rights just because they tell the truth about incompetent umpires. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! I agree completely and Bud Lite and Co need to see to it that the umps don't target Ozzie and the Sox forever and a day because of this. MLB umpires have gotten more and more thin skinned and vindictive in the last five years or so. They are not the game. Enough!

TornLabrum
08-19-2004, 09:29 PM
This is complete crap. The same league that continues to sing the praises of home run sluggers who used steroids because they "restored the game" in 1998 violates anyone's First Amendment rights just because they tell the truth about incompetent umpires. CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!Do we really have to get into this First Amendment discussion again?It says Congress shall....

You employer can do whatever he/she wants regarding your speaking out against someone like your boss. Believe me if I called my boss a ***** (which she isn't, btw), I would probably be looking for a job tomorrow.

BarbG
08-19-2004, 09:38 PM
You employer can do whatever he/she wants regarding your speaking out against someone like your boss. Believe me if I called my boss a ***** (which she isn't, btw), I would probably be looking for a job tomorrow.

Only one problem with that theory...Wendlestedt isn't Ozzie's boss. But even it he was...

...the reverse is true also - the boss has no right to call you a "******" either. Unless they personally own the company, THEY can be looking for a job tomorrow.

The umpiring this year has been POOR all around. I've seen more blown calls this year than the 70's and 80's combined. This throwing-their-weight-around garbage isn't going to help.

johnny bench
08-19-2004, 09:43 PM
I remember Ozzie making a comment to the effect: I don't need this job, I'm already rich, when he sold KW that he really wanted to be manager. After an incident like this, I really question OG's commitment to the job. I wonder if it came to him too easy. You know he didn't spend years riding a bus in the minor leagues so he missed out on a lot of learning, like not calling out the umpire in public. That just doesn't happen without consequences, like getting tossed from a game. This ain't no first amendment issue, it's a head up his rear issue.

JB

TornLabrum
08-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Only one problem with that theory...Wendlestedt isn't Ozzie's boss. But even it he was...

...the reverse is true also - the boss has no right to call you a "******" either. Unless they personally own the company, THEY can be looking for a job tomorrow.

The umpiring this year has been POOR all around. I've seen more blown calls this year than the 70's and 80's combined. This throwing-their-weight-around garbage isn't going to help.
The point was about the first amendment, not who was whose boss. And Wendelstedt is an agent of the boss.

DickAllen72
08-19-2004, 09:53 PM
you prob wont belive me but i can read people mouth when yelling and i did see the words f**** you ozzie being said to ozzie

I know that's true--I saw it too.

nasox
08-19-2004, 10:25 PM
WOW!

Four games for doing something that managers were expected to do for more than a hundred years in the past. Man, Selig really has to go. He really has pissed on the game. this is the effect of his stupidity and lack of assertiveness towards other people in MLB org. SHEESH

BarbG
08-19-2004, 10:46 PM
The point was about the first amendment, not who was whose boss. And Wendelstedt is an agent of the boss.

Which still gives him NO right to LIE. Bosses have no more right to disrespect others and lie than anybody else. Especially when they were WRONG (provable in this case on replay) in the first place.

TornLabrum
08-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Which still gives him NO right to LIE. Bosses have no more right to disrespect others and lie than anybody else. Especially when they were WRONG (provable in this case on replay) in the first place.
Which still has nothing to do with the First Amendment.

BarbG
08-19-2004, 11:19 PM
And I have yet to mention the First Amendment once. You are slamming me for something I never even said.

But since you bring it up - the First Amendment applies to ALL of us. What it has to do with this case I have no idea.

Bosses - and umpires - are not all-knowing, above the law, above the rules, or any better than anybody else.

Kudos to Ozzie for making a stand against dishonesty at any level.

TornLabrum
08-20-2004, 01:04 AM
And I have yet to mention the First Amendment once. You are slamming me for something I never even said.

But since you bring it up - the First Amendment applies to ALL of us. What it has to do with this case I have no idea.

Bosses - and umpires - are not all-knowing, above the law, above the rules, or any better than anybody else.

Kudos to Ozzie for making a stand against dishonesty at any level.
Please go back in the thread. I was responding to Viva Magglio's post in which he mentioned the First Amendment. You commented on my response to that. You may not have mentioned the First Amendment, but that's what I was writing about.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2004, 02:15 AM
The First Amendment, like all of the Bill of Rights, has to do with your relationship with the government, and nothing more. MLB telling Ozzie to shut up is not a First Amendment violation. The government did not tell Ozzie to shut up. It's just that simple.

TornLabrum
08-20-2004, 07:42 AM
The First Amendment, like all of the Bill of Rights, has to do with your relationship with the government, and nothing more. MLB telling Ozzie to shut up is not a First Amendment violation. The government did not tell Ozzie to shut up. It's just that simple.That's exactly what I said back in Post #34. Thanks for taking my back.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2004, 10:15 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens now to Williams after his published remarks about Alderson.

First it's Hawk taking on the media then it's Williams taking on baseball's disipline policies.

Nice to see the organization has 'fire'...too bad the players don't have any.

My concern is that the Sox are going to start getting a reputation as a 'whiner' organization trying to make up for their underachieveing since 2001.

My advice to the organization is to shut up, win something and you'll get respect.

Lip

guillen4life13
08-20-2004, 10:32 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens now to Williams after his published remarks about Alderson.

First it's Hawk taking on the media then it's Williams taking on baseball's disipline policies.

My concern is that the Sox are going to start getting a reputation as a 'whiner' organization trying to make up for their underachieveing since 2001.

My advice to the organization is to shut up, win something and you'll get respect.

Lip
Woo!

I think Ozzie has said what's needed to be said (maybe more), and not all of his comments absolutely needed to go public. That said, I'm glad he's standing up for himself and, as Lip said, is showing some fire. I just wish the players would show some damn fire also.

soxtalker
08-20-2004, 11:25 AM

Lip
IIRC, KW said in at least one of his interviews earlier in the season that winning is what really produces good clubhouse chemistry. (Chemistry may help teams win, but I think that the point was that it is a lot easier to be happy in a winning team's clubhouse.) I think we have the reverse here. The team isn't playing well for a number of reasons -- loss of two stars, etc. -- and now everyone is on edge, and a lot of things seem to be going wrong. The blow up with the umpire is probably just one of these.

In a related comment, I think Ozzie, KW, etc. would have a lot more credibility in the MLB office and in other cities if we had a much better record. Whether the complaints are valid or not, they are coming from a team that is essentially at .500. To someone outside Chicago that probably does sound like whining.

bc2k
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Could someone please explain this Ozzie vs. umpire feud to me from the beginning? I haven't followed the Sox in the last week. Did the ump blow a call during a game, and Ozzie confront him during the game? Why does Ozzie think this guy is a liar? What was Ozzie suspended for originally? Thank you.

Kogs35
08-20-2004, 02:11 PM

Lip
maybe he could be firend be he cant be suspended. on a side note im really suprised uncle jerry didnt step in yesterday he and bud light are "freinds"?

DickAllen72
08-20-2004, 04:40 PM
What's all this talk about whining? No one on the Sox is whining about anything.

Whining is what the Cubs do--blaming every loss on the umpires, every strikeout on the umpire, every missed fly ball on the fans, etc.

The Sox aren't blaming anyone for any loss, or making any excuses. Originally, Ozzie was arguing with the umpire for missing a call. That's legitimate. Once Ozzie had his say, it was over. He never brought up the blown call again.

What Ozzie complained (not whined) about was the fact that the umpire lied in his report to MLB. As KW put it, the umpire gave false statements in an attempt to assasinate Ozzie's character. Ozzie never complained about the original suspension, or the fine. He said he accepted that. But he did defend himself by pointing out that the umpire lied about him. KW backed him up. For this, he was suspended and fined again which is BS.

Standing up for the truth against a lie is not whining. Whining would be saying "we lost the game because of a bad call," or "the suspension was not fair because they're picking on me, etc." Ozzie never complained about the call (after the initial argument with the ump), and he accepted his suspension as part of the rules. The only thing he complained about was that someone was lying about him.

Again, standing up for the truth, and defending one's self against a lie is not whining!

Realist
08-20-2004, 05:31 PM
"Oh please dear, for your information the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint!!..." - Walter Sobchek.

Nellie_Fox
08-21-2004, 12:05 AM
That's exactly what I said back in Post #34. Thanks for taking my back.I understood what you said in your post, I just thought it needed to be made even more blunt. There are certainly issues of constitutional interpretation on which those of us on opposite sides of the ideological spectrum can concur.:wink:

TornLabrum
08-21-2004, 12:18 AM
I understood what you said in your post, I just thought it needed to be made even more blunt. There are certainly issues of constitutional interpretation on which those of us on opposite sides of the ideological spectrum can concur.:wink:
Yup.