PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't look for a Call our way From Wendelstedt EVER AGAIN!!

Tekijawa
08-19-2004, 01:19 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040818soxbrite,1,130250.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"AWESOME" as hawk would say...

I hope this little feud won't cost us any games down the road as I'm pretty sure we'll eventually run into him again...

But Still go OZZIE!

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040818soxbrite,1,130250.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"AWESOME" as hawk would say...

I hope this little feud won't cost us any games down the road as I'm pretty sure we'll eventually run into him again...

But Still go OZZIE!

you know someones angry when they still go at you even after passing a kidney stone. youd think the convo would be "man, that stone sucked" rather than "man, that call sucked, you lying sack of crap." gotta love ozzie's intensity.

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
I love Ozzie's no-bull**** attitude. He doesn't care who you are, he won't candy-coat anything. We need someone like that on the south side.

mantis1212
08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
I like it too, even though this will not help with calls going our way. I think the principal of the matter warrants not letting this guy get off scot-free.

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
He completely missed the call, and anyone who has seen the replay knows this, ESPECIALLY that ******* Wendelstedt. If he's going to whine and get Ozzie suspended, he should be suspended himself.

Tekijawa
08-19-2004, 01:46 PM
He completely missed the call, and anyone who has seen the replay knows this, ESPECIALLY that ******* Wendelstedt. If he's going to whine and get Ozzie suspended, he should be suspended himself.
Where's a drunken Cubs fan when you need an umpire tackled?

soxtalker
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
As entertaining as this might be, I'd rather Ozzie had taken the high road and dealt with this behind the scenes. Just as when KW started throwing chairs or told the world how angry he was about Rauch leaving the ball park, there are better ways of handling the situation. We don't need Wendelstedt or his buddies deciding that they need to deal tough with Ozzie and the Sox in the future because Ozzie embarrassed him.

As far as blowing the call, that happens all the time. You can't reverse the call now, but umps do get evaluated on these things. As far as Wendelstedt making up Ozzie's statements, that's one person's word against another. More likely, they remember a heated argument a bit differently -- and Ozzie isn't the easiest fellow to understand when he's calm.

Ozzie's passion is nice to see as a fan. However, when it comes out like this, it seems to be a mistake of a rookie manager.

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Where's a drunken Cubs fan when you need an umpire tackled? If you want a Cubs fan to tackle an ump, just dress him up as Randy Myers.

SSN721
08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Very nice by Ozzie. I dont really care that he called Wendelstedt out. Hes a putz and deserved it. As for no more calls going our way, I can think of too many questionable calls that have gone our way this year. And certainly a lot that should have didnt anyway, so who cares?

npdempse
08-19-2004, 02:47 PM
Wendelschmuck and Eric Cooper (and probably a couple others) need to go back to umping in the minors. And every manager who crosses their paths should speak up--it's this code of silence and invulnerability that allows doofuses like these to keep their jobs. If they're not doing it right, it's an embarassment to the sport and its credibility in the public eye, and they've got to go.

soxtalker
08-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Wendelschmuck and Eric Cooper (and probably a couple others) need to go back to umping in the minors. And every manager who crosses their paths should speak up--it's this code of silence and invulnerability that allows doofuses like these to keep their jobs. If they're not doing it right, it's an embarassment to the sport and its credibility in the public eye, and they've got to go.
I don't think that there is a "code of silence." I'm sure that information like this can and is sent along to the central MLB office.

kcsportscaster
08-19-2004, 05:01 PM
I didn't see the play in question or the confrontation, but I simply don't blame Ozzie one damned bit for speaking out on the report by Hunter Wendelstedt to the MLB office. If Wendlestedt did indeed question Ozzie's ability to manage during the confrontation, then he, NOT Ozzie, should have been suspended. Too many umpires have gotten way the hell out of control in recent years regarding arguments with players and managers, including cases where an umpire working the plate would follow a player who questioned a third strike call back to the dugout hoping to bait that particular player into an escalation of that argument and throw that player out of the game when such umpires would have been better off letting that go and continuing with the game.

I also have specific examples of certain umpires who shouldn't even be umpiring in beer league softball much less MLB who have gotten out of control with pitchers who questioned a pitch that they felt were strikes that weren't called strikes including an incident back in May between Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt and home plate umpire Bill Hohn, one of the umpires whose resignation was accepted back in 1999 during the mass resignation fiasco only to be rehired, in which Hohn took his mask off and initiated a confrontation with Oswalt only to have it broken up, or so we all thought. Then Astros manager Jimy Williams made a trip to the mound to calm Oswalt down, and there was Hohn literally waiting for Williams to finish his conversation with Oswalt so he could bait Williams into a further argument with him, all because the game happened to be on national cable television (TBS), and Hohn wanted to make damned sure that the entire nation noticed he was at Turner Field making a complete ass of himself. As much as I can't stand John Kruk, I was in complete agreement with him when he said later that evening on Baseball Tonight that MLB should take a look at this tape and reprimand Hohn for his unprofessionalism that day. More recently, Hohn even got into a spat with Greg Maddux DURING THE FIRST INNING about the strike zone!!!! If baseball had a real commissioner, this buffoon, along with several other umpires, would be in the welfare line!!!!

When is baseball ever going to look at recent incidents between players, or managers, and umpires and either reprimand or even fire certain umpires who look for confrontations, such as Joe West, Hohn, or Gary Darling, or umpires who are just plain GOD AWFUL, such as C-B Bucknor, who made a complete joke out of the strike zone in last Saturday's Braves win over the Cardinals, as seen on Fox.

Back to Wendelstedt, if it was found that he did lie about the report he sent to the MLB office, then he should be fired IMMEDIATELY, no matter if he is the son of Harry Wendelstedt, one of the best umpires of all time. The younger Wendelstedt is the same buffoon who threw John Smoltz out of game a few years ago at the old Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati for no apparent reason other to let the fans know he was there, so I am not surprised that he basically did the same thing to Ozzie.

Dub25
08-19-2004, 05:07 PM
I didn't see the play in question or the confrontation, but I simply don't blame Ozzie one damned bit for speaking out on the report by Hunter Wendelstedt to the MLB office. If Wendlestedt did indeed question Ozzie's ability to manage during the confrontation, then he, NOT Ozzie, should have been suspended. Too many umpires have gotten way the hell out of control in recent years regarding arguments with players and managers, including cases where an umpire working the plate would follow a player who questioned a third strike call back to the dugout hoping to bait that particular player into an escalation of that argument and throw that player out of the game when such umpires would have been better off letting that go and continuing with the game.

I also have specific examples of certain umpires who shouldn't even be umpiring in beer league softball much less MLB who have gotten out of control with pitchers who questioned a pitch that they felt were strikes that weren't called strikes including an incident back in May between Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt and home plate umpire Bill Hohn, one of the umpires whose resignation was accepted back in 1999 during the mass resignation fiasco only to be rehired, in which Hohn took his mask off and initiated a confrontation with Oswalt only to have it broken up, or so we all thought. Then Astros manager Jimy Williams made a trip to the mound to calm Oswalt down, and there was Hohn literally waiting for Williams to finish his conversation with Oswalt so he could bait Williams into a further argument with him, all because the game happened to be on national cable television (TBS), and Hohn wanted to make damned sure that the entire nation noticed he was at Turner Field making a complete ass of himself. As much as I can't stand John Kruk, I was in complete agreement with him when he said later that evening on Baseball Tonight that MLB should take a look at this tape and reprimand Hohn for his unprofessionalism that day. More recently, Hohn even got into a spat with Greg Maddux DURING THE FIRST INNING about the strike zone!!!! If baseball had a real commissioner, this buffoon, along with several other umpires, would be in the welfare line!!!!

When is baseball ever going to look at recent incidents between players, or managers, and umpires and either reprimand or even fire certain umpires who look for confrontations, such as Joe West, Hohn, or Gary Darling, or umpires who are just plain GOD AWFUL, such as C-B Bucknor, who made a complete joke out of the strike zone in last Saturday's Braves win over the Cardinals, as seen on Fox.

Back to Wendelstedt, if it was found that he did lie about the report he sent to the MLB office, then he should be fired IMMEDIATELY, no matter if he is the son of Harry Wendelstedt, one of the best umpires of all time. The younger Wendelstedt is the same buffoon who threw John Smoltz out of game a few years ago at the old Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati for no apparent reason other to let the fans know he was there, so I am not surprised that he basically did the same thing to Ozzie.
On my scorecard this is the post of the year. By the way C.B. Buckner always makes a joke out of the strike zone. That guy is the worst.

Flight #24
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
More recently, Hohn even got into a spat with Greg Maddux DURING THE FIRST INNING about the strike zone!!!! If baseball had a real commissioner, this buffoon, along with several other umpires, would be in the welfare line!!!!

Geez - is EVERYTHING Bud Selig's fault? The umps have a union, you know - the Commish can't just wave his magic wand and do whatever he wants, unless you really think that firing Wendelstedt would pass NLRB review as being "in the best interests of baseball".

I'm sure if Bud made having the ability to summarily fire umps a big part of the next CBA negotiations, and there was an ump strike over it, that everyone would be calling for his head. He can't win.