PDA

View Full Version : maggs!!

mymanmaggs30
08-19-2004, 02:08 PM
ok, many of the papers say that magglio's nickname is mags and not maggs!! it is maggs right?? i use maggs... shouldn't they know what the correct spelling is???
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

nitetrain8601
08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Yes, this is a big issue going around in the world of the White Sox. Annunciate the double g and he might pass you up for an autograph.:D:

Anyway, I've never heard of this. I heard Magglio isn't even his real name. It's more like Magdalando or something like that. I forget.

Baby Fisk
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Um...any update on M's medical situation?

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-19-2004, 02:34 PM

no one's really said much of anything. think they're trying to down play the severity to help get better ground to trade him? i dunno though. there is no "Magglio Watch", so its really hard to know whats going on. i would assume though that he's just keeping all weight off of it. I knwo they said there's no real way of telling if it will completely heal until he tries it out and resumes play.

PorkChopExpress
08-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Maybe they're keeping it on the down-low so that he can make an unexpected comeback at the end of the season to inspire the team after which they win 14 in a row to take over first place and advance to the post-season.

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 02:55 PM
My friend who has been a long time season ticket holder told me last night that the people in his section (137) are saying that they have heard from people they know in the front office that his career is over.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Thank you, Willie Harris.:angry:

Baby Fisk
08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
My friend who has been a long time season ticket holder told me last night that the people in his section (137) are saying that they have heard from people they know in the front office that his career is over.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Thank you, Willie Harris.:angry:This is not Willie's fault.

bafiarocks03
08-19-2004, 06:46 PM
ya thank you...at least someone else is sticking up for willie...its not his fault!!

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 06:55 PM
ok, ok, maybe I'm being harsh......Willie was hustling to get the ball when he collided with Maggs. Did not see/hear him coming......

By the way, (change of subject), I learned about a site on another thread here that was started by some 17 year girl in San Diego who, even though she denies it, is totally and completely obsessed with Ben Davis! Bendavis.org. This girl wants Ben like there's no tomorrow! Kinda sick, but she is from California.......it contains not only pics of Ben, but more information that even Ben's mom knows about him.

If anyone here knows Big Ben, warn him. Her name is Katy. She has a message board, we can tell her to get over him, he's ours now.

dickallen15
08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Tommorrow is the 4 week mark from when he went on the DL. I believe that is when they were supposed to look at his knee again for a progress report. It seems highly unlikely he will play again this year, but from what doctors have said, he should be able to continue his career.

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Tommorrow is the 4 week mark from when he went on the DL. I believe that is when they were supposed to look at his knee again for a progress report. It seems highly unlikely he will play again this year, but from what doctors have said, he should be able to continue his career.
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Some people have told me he was stupid to turn down the 70m offer from the Sox. I say to them he did not know he would be injured. I'm sure he's feeling pretty bad about not signing the deal since his value will be lower for at least a year so people can see how he is doing.

Kuzman
08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
what does it matter? In a couple months it will be "Gone"

Soxzilla
08-19-2004, 07:55 PM

Thank you, Willie Harris.:angry:
And I heard from my sister that she heard from a people at club med that heard from a few people in the ticket booth that magglio is really a space alien from the planet pluto.

Of course I blew that off as nonsense, since I know Magglio and his wife can't stand 30 degree weather.:rolleyes:

gosox41
08-20-2004, 08:53 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Some people have told me he was stupid to turn down the 70m offer from the Sox. I say to them he did not know he would be injured. I'm sure he's feeling pretty bad about not signing the deal since his value will be lower for at least a year so people can see how he is doing.
No one knows they're going to be injured. But Magglio is still greedy. Even if he were healthy I'd be saying the same thing. He issupposedly happy in Chicago, happy enpugh to start negotiating. How much more money was he going to make elsewhere? Could he really handle the spotlight in NY. The grass is always greener on the other side. Maybe he would have made an extra $5 to $10 mill. over 5 years with another team then if he stayed with the Sox. But basically he risked not signing a good contract in a situation he liked for that chance at an extra $5-10 mill.

I'm not saying I fault the guy. But he is greedy. He should have taken a grat contract (it paid more per year then Vlad) and signed it instead of seeing if he could get something better. Sometimes it doesn't pay to eke every penny out of a team.

Bob

DumpJerry
08-20-2004, 12:38 PM
No one knows they're going to be injured. But Magglio is still greedy. Even if he were healthy I'd be saying the same thing. He issupposedly happy in Chicago, happy enpugh to start negotiating. How much more money was he going to make elsewhere? Could he really handle the spotlight in NY. The grass is always greener on the other side. Maybe he would have made an extra $5 to $10 mill. over 5 years with another team then if he stayed with the Sox. But basically he risked not signing a good contract in a situation he liked for that chance at an extra $5-10 mill.

I'm not saying I fault the guy. But he is greedy. He should have taken a grat contract (it paid more per year then Vlad) and signed it instead of seeing if he could get something better. Sometimes it doesn't pay to eke every penny out of a team.

BobThe impression I get of the players in pro sports in general is that the agents fuel their greed. Remember, these are mostly 20something year olds. Their buddies back home are making a buck twenty and hour and they are looking at becoming wealthy beyond imagination while doing something fun (playing baseball, football or whatever). I think they hear a number, say $5,000,000, it is a ton of money. Their agent (who makes more as the contract gets larger) whispers "I can get you more" and the 28 year old says "why not?" At that age, they do not have the life experiences to understand that everything comes with a price.

Maybe if Maggs sat down with Jose Contreras and talked about what it is like to play in New York City he will temper his demands and realize that when you look at the big picture, Chicago is a great place to play.

gosox41
08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
The impression I get of the players in pro sports in general is that the agents fuel their greed. Remember, these are mostly 20something year olds. Their buddies back home are making a buck twenty and hour and they are looking at becoming wealthy beyond imagination while doing something fun (playing baseball, football or whatever). I think they hear a number, say $5,000,000, it is a ton of money. Their agent (who makes more as the contract gets larger) whispers "I can get you more" and the 28 year old says "why not?" At that age, they do not have the life experiences to understand that everything comes with a price.

Maybe if Maggs sat down with Jose Contreras and talked about what it is like to play in New York City he will temper his demands and realize that when you look at the big picture, Chicago is a great place to play.
I can see where a young player would be like that. But Magglio already has made a ton of money, $30 over the last 3 seasons.

It's convenient to blame the agent but the player needs to take some respobsibility.

Bob

Magglios_Girl
08-20-2004, 07:09 PM
ok, many of the papers say that magglio's nickname is mags and not maggs!! it is maggs right?? i use maggs... shouldn't they know what the correct spelling is???
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:
Magglio signs his name "Mags" in autographs but most people write it with two G's.

I heard Magglio isn't even his real name. It's more like Magdalando or something like that. I forget.
Magglio is his real name. I read somewhere (I dont remember if it was in ESPN) that Magglio's dad (Maglio) named him after himself and gave him an extra G for good luck:tongue: .