PDA

View Full Version : Pinwheels?

jander11
08-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Could anyone tell me if there is a significance about the use of the pinwheels in Comiskey/US Cellular?

Thanks
Jeff

eriqjaffe
08-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Could anyone tell me if there is a significance about the use of the pinwheels in Comiskey/US Cellular?

Thanks
Jeff
They date back to the Exploding Scoreboard at old Comiskey.

jander11
08-19-2004, 09:51 AM
I knew that they were part of that but I wasn't certain if there was a story/reason beyond that ...

Thanks for the info!

jander11
08-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Any further history?

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Bill Veeck actually started out selling pinwheels at street corners to help support his family as a boy, so to pay homage to his background and the foundation of his success; the pinwheel was incorporated into his stadium.
Actually, I have no idea. It sounds plausible, though....:D:

SSN721
08-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Bill Veeck actually started out selling pinwheels at street corners to help support his family as a boy, so to pay homage to his background and the foundation of his success; the pinwheel was incorporated into his stadium.

You almost had my going there, you should be writing for the Cubune writing good fabrications like that.
:D:

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
You almost had my going there, you should be writing for the Cubune writing good fabrications like that.
:D:
Thanks. Knowing there is an oppurtunity to use my B.S. ability for income is very encouraging.

pinwheels3530
08-19-2004, 01:50 PM
They are the coolest looking part of the ballpark!:D: :bandance:

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-19-2004, 03:06 PM
They are the coolest looking part of the ballpark!:D: :bandance:
also very original. when i was a kid and my family and i went to Olde Comiskey, i always thought that the fireworks actually came out of the pinwheels. to much chagrine, i realized a few years later that they were just set off behind the scoreboard. it was a shocking and disappointing realization for a 10 year old. i am glad they brought them into New Comiskey, though.

TornLabrum
08-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Does anybody remember what years the pinwheels were added to the scoreboard? They weren't on in 1961 when it was first built, but I can't for the life of me remember when they were added.

skobabe8
08-19-2004, 03:13 PM

You had me going, too. I was like "Wow, that's a great story!" :D:

Congrats on your 1,000th post!

batmanZoSo
08-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I was actually gonna say that's self-centered of him. I mean they would have nothing to do with the team, just him, and to make huge shrines out of them like it's the park he built...

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 03:23 PM
You had me going, too. I was like "Wow, that's a great story!" :D:

Congrats on your 1,000th post!
Hey, how about that. Didn't even notice, thanks!

tebman
08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Does anybody remember what years the pinwheels were added to the scoreboard? They weren't on in 1961 when it was first built, but I can't for the life of me remember when they were added.
I don't have hard evidence, but I'm almost positive that Veeck added the pinwheels to the mortars sticking out of his original board when he took over the team in 1976. He did some other minor sprucing-up around the park then too -- fresh paint, clubhouse remodeling, etc.

- tebman

FARMEO
08-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I thought the pinwheels went up in 1970. Veeck created the exploding scoreboard without the pinwheels.

pinwheels3530
08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
also very original. when i was a kid and my family and i went to Olde Comiskey, i always thought that the fireworks actually came out of the pinwheels. to much chagrine, i realized a few years later that they were just set off behind the scoreboard. it was a shocking and disappointing realization for a 10 year old. i am glad they brought them into New Comiskey, though.

I also thought the fireworks came out out the pinwheels when I was a kid, another thing I really remember are the roof top homeruns by Ron Kittle, the winning ugly uniform's and logos, the golden boxes behind home plate, the arched windows. The very few times the sox home games were on free tv in the 80's I always enjoyed watching these unique aspects of the original park.

eriqjaffe
08-19-2004, 06:03 PM
I also thought the fireworks came out out the pinwheels when I was a kid.
I'm pretty sure you're right. Thus, the "Exploding Scoreboard", rather than the "Scoreboard That Lights Up, With Fireworks Shot From The Parking Lot".

PINWHEELS
08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Any further history?So I can Cheer for my Favorite Baseball team and drink a Cold Beer!:gulp:

34rancher
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
More true history:
This is something else that the northside has stolen and re-packaged. Not many people know this, but on one of the roof-tops there is a light up Harry Caray. What it really is, is one of the pin-wheels from Comisky Park re-painted into the Harry image. Just something else they have "claimed" as their own.

lettereighteen
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
If you want to see one of the original pinwheels, they have one on display at the Sportmart on LaSalle and Ontario. It's stationed near the elevator. :cool:

chisoxt
08-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I also thought the fireworks came out out the pinwheels when I was a kid, another thing I really remember are the roof top homeruns by Ron Kittle, the winning ugly uniform's and logos, the golden boxes behind home plate, the arched windows. The very few times the sox home games were on free tv in the 80's I always enjoyed watching these unique aspects of the original park.
Actually, while the exploding fireworks were set off from behind the scoreboard, I do believe that there were Roman candels that actullly were shot from the scoreboard.

tebman
08-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Actually, while the exploding fireworks were set off from behind the scoreboard, I do believe that there were Roman candels that actullly were shot from the scoreboard.That's true. The fireworks were launched from immediately behind the scoreboard (behind a half-wall of cinder blocks next to the little patio area that was back there), and there were Roman candles spitting out of the top of the mortars that stuck out of the top of the board. For a while in the beginning there was smoke that came out of it too, though that was too big a mess and they stopped doing that early on. There were also Monty Python-esque sound effects that were LOUD. Go to:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241

and scroll down to the July 5, 1964 game and the May 2, 1965 game and listen to the RealAudio clip. When you hear how it originally sounded, and imagine Roman candles, strobes, chase lights, smoke, and fireworks, you can understand why the rest of the league thought Veeck was nuts.

- tebman

SSN721
08-20-2004, 09:23 AM
That's true. The fireworks were launched from immediately behind the scoreboard (behind a half-wall of cinder blocks next to the little patio area that was back there), and there were Roman candles spitting out of the top of the mortars that stuck out of the top of the board. For a while in the beginning there was smoke that came out of it too, though that was too big a mess and they stopped doing that early on. There were also Monty Python-esque sound effects that were LOUD. Go to:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2241

and scroll down to the July 5, 1964 game and the May 2, 1965 game and listen to the RealAudio clip. When you hear how it originally sounded, and imagine Roman candles, strobes, chase lights, smoke, and fireworks, you can understand why the rest of the league thought Veeck was nuts.

- tebman

That sounds awesome, I wish there were some video clips to show how the board looked after a homerun. It does sound pretty insane though, I can just imagine how amazing it must have looked in person.

tebman
08-20-2004, 04:04 PM
That sounds awesome, I wish there were some video clips to show how the board looked after a homerun. It does sound pretty insane though, I can just imagine how amazing it must have looked in person.Yeah, it really was awesome, especially in the early years when it was untamed.

I've seen a couple of videos over the years of the old board in action, but the video image always takes something out of it. I think the fact that the board was so huge relative to the rest of the park was a factor, plus the fact that there was an enclosed feeling there because of the way the stands were built. If you were there, it was really in your face, which is what drove visiting teams crazy.

Jimmy Piersall got so upset with it one time when he was playing CF (I think for the Indians in the early '60s), that he threw a ball at it. Another time when the Yankees were in town they lit up a bunch of sparklers in the dugout when one of their guys hit a homer.

Ah, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

- tebman

skobabe8
08-20-2004, 05:39 PM
If you want to see one of the original pinwheels, they have one on display at the Sportmart on LaSalle and Ontario. It's stationed near the elevator. :cool:
Cool! I am THERE! :rolleyes:

FARMEO
08-20-2004, 06:46 PM
There are also two old pinwheels in the Bullpen Bar. I remember that you could buy one at the garage sale a few years ago.

C-Dawg
08-20-2004, 09:37 PM
More true history:
This is something else that the northside has stolen and re-packaged. Not many people know this, but on one of the roof-tops there is a light up Harry Caray. What it really is, is one of the pin-wheels from Comisky Park re-painted into the Harry image. Just something else they have "claimed" as their own.

I think Steve Dahl owns one thats up on a Wrigleyville rooftop; maybe thats the one. I'd hate to think someone painted that awful cartoon caricature of Harry on it though. Maybe Pat Dahl or someone knows whats up with this.

By the way, I was at one of the games in the Cleveland series, and right in front of us was a family from Cleveland. I heard them ask the fan next to them "What's the significance of all the peppermints everywhere?".

Fenway
08-21-2004, 11:03 AM
From this website

skobabe8
08-22-2004, 03:59 AM
There are also two old pinwheels in the Bullpen Bar. I remember that you could buy one at the garage sale a few years ago.
Do you remember how much they were?