PDA

View Full Version : My news director's flight with the Blue Angels and Kenny Williams

hsnterprize
08-19-2004, 07:36 AM
The guy I work with every morning is a HUGE flying buff, and he took advantage of a media day with the Blue Angels. He was able to fly with them, and according to what he told me, the flight was a major thrill ride. The pilots are in top shape, and they need to be. They told him and other reporters the 40-minute flight would feel like a 2-hour workout with sweat drenching from their bodies...they weren't kidding. It's about 6AM...about 18 hours after his flight, and he's still sore.

But another one of the flyers was our team's own Kenny Williams, and he and the news director had a pretty neat conversation. They talked for about an hour, and he learned some pretty interesting stuff. First, KW's pissed because he said the Sox had a golden opportunity to steal all the attentionaway from the Cubs back in the early-summer, but they hadn't been playing as well as they were capable of. Even now, with all the deals he's made, he's not satisfied. Also, he told Ben Davis he really wanted him years ago, and his part of the Freddy Garcia trade wasn't some bluff move...KW really wants Big Ben to stay with the team for a while. After all...look at how Ben's been hitting since he's been here?

And speaking of the deal that brought Garcia and Davis here from Seattle, here's another tip...KW traded away Miguel Olivo because, quote, "pitchers didn't want to pitch to him." The pitchers didn't like how Miguel handled their pitches...so evidently there was some friction between pitchers and Miggy that never got out. Granted he was good, but if letting go of Olivo helps the clubhouse, then so be it.

jabrch
08-19-2004, 08:29 AM
And speaking of the deal that brought Garcia and Davis here from Seattle, here's another tip...KW traded away Miguel Olivo because, quote, "pitchers didn't want to pitch to him." The pitchers didn't like how Miguel handled their pitches...so evidently there was some friction between pitchers and Miggy that never got out. Granted he was good, but if letting go of Olivo helps the clubhouse, then so be it.

That's interesting HSN - but didn't Buehrle come out on record and say he was going to miss pitching to Olivo? Sounds strange to me. In any case, I am thrilled with Davis' performeance so far - I hope he can continue to hit and play good defense.

Irishsoxfan
08-19-2004, 08:47 AM
That's interesting HSN - but didn't Buehrle come out on record and say he was going to miss pitching to Olivo? Sounds strange to me. In any case, I am thrilled with Davis' performeance so far - I hope he can continue to hit and play good defense.

Doesn't Buehrle prefer to pitch to Sandy? Sounds to me like Buehrle was just being a team player and giving props to Miggy.

samram
08-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Am I the only one who's surprised at how candid KW is about the team's dealings with people who just happen to be talking to him? It's nice to hear a lot of inside stuff, but I would think most GMs play things a little closer to the vest. Maybe I'm just used to Jerry Krause.:smile:

soxtalker
08-19-2004, 08:57 AM
The comment about KW having his eye on BD for awhile is interesting -- and quite believable considering a few of his other acquisitions. The comment about pitchers not wanting to pitch with Olivo as catcher is also believable. It seemed like Alomar was catching a lot more than I had expected, and BD started picking up many of those games after a couple of weeks.

Rather than indicate a conflict within the clubhouse, perhaps it speaks more about Olivo's youth and inexperience. Olivo appeared to have been well liked before the trade, and KW has seemed to go out of his way to say complimentary things about him after the trade.

When Olivo was told of the trade, it was reported that he broke down. That's one nice thing to remember. It is hard for me to remember the last time one of the Sox was reported to have been really upset to leave (though Loaiza didn't seem to be terribly happy when he was traded later).

jabrch
08-19-2004, 09:16 AM
When Olivo was told of the trade, it was reported that he broke down. That's one nice thing to remember. It is hard for me to remember the last time one of the Sox was reported to have been really upset to leave (though Loaiza didn't seem to be terribly happy when he was traded later).
Loaiza was fairly critical on his way out- bitching about run support and all. Miggy was reported to have been so upset he was crying. That's sad. I wish him nothing but the best in Seattle.

TDog
08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
... It is hard for me to remember the last time one of the Sox was reported to have been really upset to leave (though Loaiza didn't seem to be terribly happy when he was traded later).
I saw Rocky Biddle the day he was traded from the Sox. Rocky was very upset.

I've never talked with Kenny Williams, but I flew with the Blue Angels in 1984. It was a blast.

Randar68
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
I saw Rocky Biddle the day he was traded from the Sox. Rocky was very upset.

I've never talked with Kenny Williams, but I flew with the Blue Angels in 1984. It was a blast.
Biddle pitched pretty well last night (or was it Tuesday) back in a starter's role for Montreal. Good to see the Rock performing as a starter again. I was always a big Biddle fan.

wdelaney72
08-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Biddle pitched pretty well last night (or was it Tuesday) back in a starter's role for Montreal. Good to see the Rock performing as a starter again. I was always a big Biddle fan.
With that name and the side-burns, it's hard not to be a fan.

skobabe8
08-19-2004, 03:26 PM
I turned on the Expos/Giants game just in time to see Rocky Biddle battle Ray Durham.

Ahh, the memories.....:wink:

santo=dorf
08-19-2004, 03:48 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/08/18/wilFXOpU.jpg
How does that Kenny Loggins song from Top Gun go again?

Kogs35
08-19-2004, 04:24 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/08/18/wilFXOpU.jpg
How does that Kenny Loggins song from Top Gun go again?
its either i go to the danger zone or highway to the danger zone. i have the tune in my head and those r the words i remember

Soxzilla
08-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Koch was pretty upset when he got traded. Not really sad upset, more upset at himself for not getting the job done. He seemed like a great guy, just too bad he lost his velocity.:(:

dickallen15
08-19-2004, 05:17 PM
The guy I work with every morning is a HUGE flying buff, and he took advantage of a media day with the Blue Angels. He was able to fly with them, and according to what he told me, the flight was a major thrill ride. The pilots are in top shape, and they need to be. They told him and other reporters the 40-minute flight would feel like a 2-hour workout with sweat drenching from their bodies...they weren't kidding. It's about 6AM...about 18 hours after his flight, and he's still sore.

But another one of the flyers was our team's own Kenny Williams, and he and the news director had a pretty neat conversation. They talked for about an hour, and he learned some pretty interesting stuff. First, KW's pissed because he said the Sox had a golden opportunity to steal all the attentionaway from the Cubs back in the early-summer, but they hadn't been playing as well as they were capable of. Even now, with all the deals he's made, he's not satisfied. Also, he told Ben Davis he really wanted him years ago, and his part of the Freddy Garcia trade wasn't some bluff move...KW really wants Big Ben to stay with the team for a while. After all...look at how Ben's been hitting since he's been here?

What's

What's even more strange is one of the knocks on Davis is that pitchers in San Diego and Seattle supposedly didn't like throwing to him. He also has a reputation for being a little lazy, although he seems far from that here.

steff
08-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Am I the only one who's surprised at how candid KW is about the team's dealings with people who just happen to be talking to him? It's nice to hear a lot of inside stuff, but I would think most GMs play things a little closer to the vest. Maybe I'm just used to Jerry Krause.:smile:

Nope. Loose lips sink ships...

ewokpelts
08-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Loaiza was fairly critical on his way out- bitching about run support and all. Miggy was reported to have been so upset he was crying. That's sad. I wish him nothing but the best in Seattle.Maybe esteban shouldn't have given the hitters such a big hole to climb out of.
Gene

StillMissOzzie
08-19-2004, 10:54 PM
TDog, you are one lucky dog !! We make it a point to go to the Chicago Air & Water Show every year, especially when it's the Blue Angels' turn to headline (they alternate with the AF Thunderbirds)

SMO
:gulp: