PDA

View Full Version : 2001 season highlights/lowlights


Foulke You
10-03-2001, 01:34 PM
It's been a while since I've been to WSI. Work, work, and more work leaves Foulke You very little time to post anymore. (SOB!)
Anyway, my friend and I were trying to come up with the top highlights (what few there were) and (many) lowlights of 2001. (I apologize if this topic has already been discussed)

My top highlights:
1. Carlos Lee Cub killing grand slam off Courtney Duncan on June 8th. (How sweet it was!)
2. Mark Buehrle emerging as a legitimate lefty ace.
3. Come from behind win in the bottom of the 9th against those pesky Twinkees on July 4th at Comiskey Park.
4. Opening Day raising of the Central Division Pennant
5. Sandy Alomar holding onto the ball against those Cubs again in the infamous play at the plate with Gary Matthews Jr.
6. Jose Valentin mocking Sammy with blown kisses and love taps after his Wrigley home run in July.
7. Foulke becomes 1st Sox closer since Thigpen with 40+ saves
8. Getting over the .500 mark after starting so poorly

My top lowlights
1. David Wells forgetting how many outs there were against Toronto.
2. Garland giving up 3 homers in the top of the 1st against the Rangers back in June at Comiskey.
3. That infamous 8 game losing streak
4. Every single series against the Twins
5. Watching Harold try to hang on to former glory
6. The decline of Bob Howry
7. Watching Foulke try to get a hold instead of a save
8. Torn labrums, triceps, rotator cuffs, knees and just about every other body part known to man.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
It's been a while since I've been to WSI. Work, work, and more work leaves Foulke You very little time to post anymore. (SOB!)
Anyway, my friend and I were trying to come up with the top highlights (what few there were) and (many) lowlights of 2001. (I apologize if this topic has already been discussed)

My top highlights:
1. Carlos Lee Cub killing grand slam off Courtney Duncan on June 8th. (How sweet it was!)
5. Sandy Alomar holding onto the ball against those Cubs again in the infamous play at the plate with Gary Matthews Jr.
6. Jose Valentin mocking Sammy with blown kisses and love taps after his Wrigley home run in July.

My top lowlights
4. Every single series against the Twins
6. The decline of Bob Howry
8. Torn labrums, triceps, rotator cuffs, knees and just about every other body part known to man. Not bad lists. I picked my top 3 out of each.

KempersRS
10-03-2001, 01:52 PM
My number one through ten on the "lowlights" has to be the baggy dome disaster. No matter what anyone says, that has to be the most painful game all year. I was crushed after that, I had almost no hope for the season after it. That game stayed with us all for a long time. Nobody slept well on the night of that game.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
My number one through ten on the "lowlights" has to be the baggy dome disaster. No matter what anyone says, that has to be the most painful game all year. I was crushed after that, I had almost no hope for the season after it. That game stayed with us all for a long time. Nobody slept well on the night of that game. Didn't that game lead to Jerry giving you a nickname? :)

Spiff
10-03-2001, 02:47 PM
MAGGS AT THE ALL-STAR GAME!!!

how soon we forget.

I remember watching it, going "get out! get out! get out! YEAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!"

needless to say my friends looked at me like i was crazy.

I didn't care though.

cheeses_h_rice
10-03-2001, 02:55 PM
My personal lowlight was opening day: cold, windy, and the Sox blew a huge lead when Antonio Osuna gave up a grand slam to Tony Clark of the Tigers. Runners-up are the big chokes against the Twins and Mariners when we shoulda won.

Also, April and early May were just awful.

My personal highlight: all 4 of the wins over the Flubs. No other game I went to this year came close (not surprising seeing how many times I saw them lose). Except maybe one game where the Sox actually came back from a 2-run deficit to score 3 in the 9th and win it (can't remember who it was against), but obviously that one didn't stick in my brain.

Foulke You
10-03-2001, 03:06 PM
Wh1teSox00: I totally forgot about that sweet homer Maggs hit off of Jon Lieber in the all star game. That one gets added to my 2001 highlight list.

Those games against the Cubs really were the highlight of the year. It was the only time this year our team really showed the guts and intensity it displayed throughout the 2000 campaign. Too bad we couldn't have handled the Twinks like we handled the "beloved".

Here's a little whip cream for the Cubbie collapse ice cream sundae: Remember all those Cub fans who said those games the Sox won against the Cubs were meaningless? If the Cubs had won a few more of those "meaningless" games against us they would still be alive in the wild card race.

Jerry_Manuel
10-03-2001, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Didn't that game lead to Jerry giving you a nickname? :)

Yes it did West.

Mr. Positive is the nickname.

KempersRS
10-03-2001, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Didn't that game lead to Jerry giving you a nickname? :)

You know you were lyin in bed that night looking at the ceiling wonder "What just happened here!?". I literally fell out of my chair at the end of that game! I was leaning back on the chair and just fell straight back when Hocking belted it off the wall. It would have hurt more if I weren't already upset about the game! Anyway, I was purely negative for like a week straight after that. I mean, I didn't go on one of those Nuke_Cleveland rampages, but we were all a little steamed.

GASHWOUND
10-03-2001, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS


You know you were lyin in bed that night looking at the ceiling wonder "What just happened here!?". I literally fell out of my chair at the end of that game! I was leaning back on the chair and just fell straight back when Hocking belted it off the wall. It would have hurt more if I weren't already upset about the game! Anyway, I was purely negative for like a week straight after that. I mean, I didn't go on one of those Nuke_Cleveland rampages, but we were all a little steamed.

Thanks for reminding me of that disaster. I kid you not, when Hocking hit that ball I was sitting out in my balcony relaxing cause I thought it was over, 3 run lead, foulky out there, but one of my buddies yelled out "Oh SH*T!" really loud so I quickly got up off my chair and in a rush to see what was up I hit my shin on a cooler that was heaped up on a little platform.(Don't ask how I did this) So while I was throbing in excruciating pain, the whole twins bench was celebrating at home plate. Not a good day at all. I had a deep shin bruice there for a week that made me walk with a nice limp. A double whammy.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 05:41 PM
Well since we're sharing war stories, I remember that night too.

I was watching the game on the sofa. I was doing my usual cussing and swearing at Konerko for botching the grounders which drew the attention of Mrs. PHG who had been on the computer in the next room.

She came in and watched as Hocking hit the dinger. I literally fell off the sofa--I couldn't believe it.

She genuinely felt sorry for me. That's a real rarity when it comes to anything as pointless as the outcome of a baseball game.

FarWestChicago
10-03-2001, 06:41 PM
She genuinely felt sorry for me. That's a real rarity when it comes to anything as pointless as the outcome of a baseball game. LOL!!

ihatethecubs
10-04-2001, 02:36 AM
mark buehrles 1 hitter was good. so was valentins game winner against texas early in the year.

the game in minnesota was the worst game i can remember in years. i was watching it thinking we had it all wrapped up and then they started getting closer and getting runners on and i was getting really upset so i got in my car and listened to it on the radio and drove around, i couldnt watch. then after there were 2 outs i decided id go back and watch it and i did and that fat loser won the game and i was so mad i threw anything i couldd find. i also smashed an old broken guitar one time during the 3rd game of 2000 at texas when it looked like the sox were going to start 0-3, but they came back and won. i have a bad temper and i like breaking things.