PDA

View Full Version : Nice outing for Contreras

jabrch
08-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Maybe all he needed was to get out of NY and stop tipping his pitches. I know - it's only 4 starts - but I am really liking the makeup of this rotation. If only we had a 5th guy, and had this talent from the beginning of the season.

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 01:03 AM
The pickups KW has made in Garcia and Contreras have me really optimistic for next year.

SSN721
08-19-2004, 09:10 AM
The pickups KW has made in Garcia and Contreras have me really optimistic for next year.

I agree, one more quality starter and this pitching staff will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Shame we couldnt have put it all together earlier this year.

Iguana775
08-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I agree, one more quality starter and this pitching staff will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Shame we couldnt have put it all together earlier this year.
Pedro would make a nice addition to the rotation.

hold2dibber
08-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Contreras has looked damn good. But I'm trying real hard not to get too pumped up or optimistic about it - after all, Schoenweiss looked like an all-star over his first four or five starts this year (although it sure seems like Contreras has a lot more talent than Schoenweiss).

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 09:32 AM
It really appears as though Contreras' largest problem has been himself, because his stuff is nasty. Hopefully his confidence grows and they can keep him focused.

JDP
08-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Pedro would make a nice addition to the rotation.Pedro would rock, obviously, but does anyone sense that the Red 'Sock' that KW will be signing this off-season will be Derek Lowe? He'll be had cheaply with a low base contract, heavily laden w/ incentives (see: Loiaza, Person), and just might be worth a gamble to be a productive #4 or #5 next year. KW is a stern follower and believer in the 'catching of lightning in a bottle' philosophy.

But of course, land Pedro and that may or may not still be a moot point/objective.

EDIT: BTW, what the hell is the singular tense for a member of an organization called the Red Sox? A sock? :smile:

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 09:50 AM
EDIT: BTW, what the hell is the singular tense for a member of an organization called the Red Sox? A sock? :smile:
It's best not to ponder the idea....:D:

infohawk
08-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Contreras has looked damn good. But I'm trying real hard not to get too pumped up or optimistic about it - after all, Schoenweiss looked like an all-star over his first four or five starts this year (although it sure seems like Contreras has a lot more talent than Schoenweiss).
I wouldn't compare Contreras to Schoenweiss only because Contreras has demonstrated tremendous success in past performances as a starter with both the Cuban National Team and in several starts with the Yankees. Schoenweiss had established himself as "serviceable" at best as a starter with the Angels, but somewhat more effective as a reliever.

PatK
08-19-2004, 11:29 AM
According to Giangreco, he was terrible last night, giving up 6 hits and only 2 runs.

I think he struggled a little bit with his control last night, but straightened things out. I'd like to see him throw his heater more, since it's a good one. It seems like his big problem is relying on his splitter too much, because when that pitch is on, he's unhittable. But when it isn't, we gives up walks.

Still, he's been impressive to me. Definately worth trading Loiza for.

PorkChopExpress
08-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Is Santana available this offseason? How great would it be to get a great pitcher while at the same time ripping out the heart of the Twins.

SSN721
08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Is Santana available this offseason? How great would it be to get a great pitcher while at the same time ripping out the heart of the Twins.

I knwo it has probably been discussed, but what is going on with Johan next year? Is he in arbitration, free agent? If the Twins have no power to block or stop it it would be fantastic to pick up Santana for our rotation next year.

MRKARNO
08-19-2004, 12:37 PM
I knwo it has probably been discussed, but what is going on with Johan next year? Is he in arbitration, free agent? If the Twins have no power to block or stop it it would be fantastic to pick up Santana for our rotation next year.
He will go into arbitration with the Twins if they do not work out a deal beforehand and at the end of 2005, he has the option of becoming an FA after 6 years of Major League service

California Sox
08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Pedro would rock, obviously, but does anyone sense that the Red 'Sock' that KW will be signing this off-season will be Derek Lowe? He'll be had cheaply with a low base contract, heavily laden w/ incentives (see: Loiaza, Person), and just might be worth a gamble to be a productive #4 or #5 next year.
Earlier in the year I had the opportunity to hang out with some Red Socks, and their speculation was that Lowe turned down that huge contract then had a bad start to the season and it messed him up metally ala Buerhle last year. Now the question is, could he overcome that, sign a one-year Reinsdorf-sized deal and pitch effectively? I have my doubts. Also, there's the issue of whether 2002 was a fluke and the guy getting his brains beat in is the real guy?

Flight #24
08-19-2004, 01:00 PM
He will go into arbitration with the Twins if they do not work out a deal beforehand and at the end of 2005, he has the option of becoming an FA after 6 years of Major League service
Yet another reason why the Sox are pretty well positioned for the next couple of years. Johan's going to command a pretty hefty bump in salary (He's currently at 1.6mil, and I'd guess he'll get no less than 4 coming off of a probable Cy Young year), and with other raises to guys like Stewart, Hunter, etc they're going to have a hard time resigning Radke or getting an equivalent replacement. They'll also be replacing IIRC Koskie & Guzman, but supposedly they have enough internal high-quality guys to do that.

Sox should have the best rotation in the division next year, and with Frank back, even with no other changes - a pretty good offense. IMO there will be some changes, but nothing major, more along the lines of adding a relatively cheap OBP guy like Catalanotto.

JB98
08-19-2004, 01:06 PM
According to Giangreco, he was terrible last night, giving up 6 hits and only 2 runs.

I think he struggled a little bit with his control last night, but straightened things out. I'd like to see him throw his heater more, since it's a good one. It seems like his big problem is relying on his splitter too much, because when that pitch is on, he's unhittable. But when it isn't, we gives up walks.

Still, he's been impressive to me. Definately worth trading Loiza for.
I thought last night was his best outing with the Sox because he put together a quality start despite not having anywhere near his best control. A guy like Contreras is going to win more often than not when he has his best stuff. However, to be a great pitcher, you have to find a way to win when you don't have it all working. Contreras struggled when he didn't have his best stuff in NY, but he did a great job last night. He didn't fold up with men on base like he has in the past.

balke
08-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I was thinking last night about what trades sox could make for a 5th starter in the offseason, if they don't want to buy a FA. What if the A's don't make it into the postseason? I think Konerko/Crede/Borchard would be pretty tasty bait for Mulder/Rincon. I doubt they are dumb enough to give up their ace AND crosby, but we got some good trade bait for the offseason, and they have lots of pitching. Mulder loves Chicago, he's unbelievable this year, they owe us for Koch... eh eh? THought I'd share the dream.

Mulder
Garcia
Contreras
Buerhle
Garland

Or whatever order they decide on

Point relating to this thread... Contreres makes this pitching staff look unstoppable with one more great pitcher. Great move by KW IMO

batmanZoSo
08-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Yet another reason why the Sox are pretty well positioned for the next couple of years. Johan's going to command a pretty hefty bump in salary (He's currently at 1.6mil, and I'd guess he'll get no less than 4 coming off of a probable Cy Young year), and with other raises to guys like Stewart, Hunter, etc they're going to have a hard time resigning Radke or getting an equivalent replacement. They'll also be replacing IIRC Koskie & Guzman, but supposedly they have enough internal high-quality guys to do that.

Sox should have the best rotation in the division next year, and with Frank back, even with no other changes - a pretty good offense. IMO there will be some changes, but nothing major, more along the lines of adding a relatively cheap OBP guy like Catalanotto.
He's good but where would he play? Isn't he a left fielder? And we need a speed guy. Get rid of Alomar and Valentin and get the best shortstop or second baseman you can find to pair with Uribe. Now that Rowand's probably a fixture in center, and everyone else is pretty much set in, middle infield is the only place where we can insert a fast, leadoff type guy.

JRIG
08-19-2004, 03:12 PM
I was thinking last night about what trades sox could make for a 5th starter in the offseason, if they don't want to buy a FA. What if the A's don't make it into the postseason? I think Konerko/Crede/Borchard would be pretty tasty bait for Mulder/Rincon. I doubt they are dumb enough to give up their ace AND crosby, but we got some good trade bait for the offseason, and they have lots of pitching. Mulder loves Chicago, he's unbelievable this year, they owe us for Koch... eh eh? THought I'd share the dream.

Billy Beane would have no use for Konerko, Crede or Borchard. Eric Chavez is locked up for a long time and the A's LOVE Hatteberg and Durazo at 1st base. Borchard is just the type of guy Beane avoids like the plague. Looks good in jeans but has never produced a thing. The Sox have nowhere near the minor league depth to pry Mulder from the A's.