PDA

View Full Version : Player Intros_Preview of renovations?

mjb
08-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Some of the computer graphics for the White Sox player introductions on the main scoreboard at US Cellular during the season have featured a picture of the player surrounded by a room full of arched doorways. Could this possibly be a preview of one of the planned renovations for 2005??? Right Field Home Run Porch, Grand Entrance, or other???

Brian26
08-18-2004, 10:53 PM
A home run porch won't be built this winter.

soxnut
08-18-2004, 10:58 PM
A home run porch won't be built this winter.

There hasn't been an official announcement, so how do you know?

Brian26
08-18-2004, 11:01 PM
There hasn't been an official announcement, so how do you know?It's been stated several times that the major improvement this winter will be the FUNdamentals area in leftfield, taking away one of the giant billboards. The article in the paper last week mentioned a restaurant behind the first base line.

Everyone in the Sox organization has had the same company line after that: they have a laundry-list of things they might want to do, but they're going to have to wait and see how much money is left to do them.

Didn't mean to sound "insider". It's just common knowledge. The porch may or may not happen...if it does happen, it'll get built down the line...maybe after the 2005 season.

Reinsdorf's interview that was on the official site is also printed in the latest program (just got the 4th edition last night at the game), and he states the same thing.

soxnut
08-18-2004, 11:10 PM
It's been stated several times that the major improvement this winter will be the FUNdamentals area in leftfield, taking away one of the giant billboards. The article in the paper last week mentioned a restaurant behind the first base line.

Everyone in the Sox organization has had the same company line after that: they have a laundry-list of things they might want to do, but they're going to have to wait and see how much money is left to do them.

Didn't mean to sound "insider". It's just common knowledge. The porch may or may not happen...if it does happen, it'll get built down the line...maybe after the 2005 season.

Reinsdorf's interview that was on the official site is also printed in the latest program (just got the 4th edition last night at the game), and he states the same thing.

I really would like to know how much they have left. I mean they just started using the money this past offseason. The other renovations done previously were not from USC$. The '04 renovations I thought cost $28m. How in the heck much can the fundamentals area really cost, and that restaurant? They have done such a great job on all the renovations so far, I hope they don't blow it with the rest of them.

mrwag
08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
In my opinion, I'd much rather see the home-run porch built instead of the Fundamentals area. I think, if priced right, it could be a real great seating alternative to the upper deck. It's (hopefully) gonna be a shallower pitch, lower, and offer a great view of the game. If positioned correctly, it would also be enticing for upper deck and roof shot homeruns. Might bring some nostalgia back, like the old park.

JDP
08-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Would anyone like to see the fences moved back 20+ feet again, build this team upon strong pitching and have gap-to-gap/speed offensive personnel -- and not have to watch both the Sox and other teams relying on the long ball?

mike squires
08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Maybe, but where would the bullpen go?

fledgedrallycap
08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Would anyone like to see the fences moved back 20+ feet again, build this team upon strong pitching and have gap-to-gap/speed offensive personnel -- and not have to watch both the Sox and other teams relying on the long ball?
You know what, how many balls being hit have been landing in the pens? Not many. Most homer's being cranked out at the Cell have been hit hard, real hard. So I'm not sure that would do a lot, plut with our bull pen configurations; nearly impossible.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2004, 09:21 AM

I don't think the Cell's dimensions are much smaller than other parks (although I'm open to data that says otherwise.) Rather, it seems that the ball just scarries more since the UD has been reconfigured. Therefore, I don't think the fences need to be moved back, however I do think reconfiguring the team with more speed would be beneficial.

For example, I don't think Rowand will be a career .300 hitter, but I hope he proves me wrong. Nevertheless, I think Maggs probably is gone and signing him at this point to a contract at $15M/year with his injury would not be smart. So, Rowand could move to right to allow the Sox to pursue a true CF who can lead off. Hypothetically, I'm thinking of a Juan Pierre/Carl Crawford type. Also, if the Sox could swing a deal for such a CF, when Anderson comes up he could play left. (In the meantime, a player like Jose Cruz, Jr. could play left.) That would give the Sox a strong, fast outfield that would hit lots of doubles and triples while preventing other teams from doing the same. Meanwhile, Lee or Konerko would be gone, with the remaining one playing 1B with Frank DH-ing. The team would hit a good number of homers and score plenty of runs but also be equipped to succeed in large parks like Comerica, and the good D would help the Sox pitchers.

nitetrain8601
08-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I honestly don't think that the HR Porch is going to happen. I think it's something they wanted to do at first, but for whatever reason(I Know someone will at least think about posting JR is cheap:mad: ) they won't end up doing that. Instead I heard they should be extendind the FanDeck and now they're going to charge which is going to suck big time. I think the renovations they have planned this upcoming year will be cool. I think all the people who dislike the FUNdamentals area, dislike it because it doesn't directly effect them. I bet if they put a "Drink your fav. beer straight from the tap" section there, only about 5 people will complain about it here, probably less. Selfish people, but what can you do. I think it will all look nice.

pinwheels3530
08-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I don't think the Cell's dimensions are much smaller than other parks (although I'm open to data that says otherwise.) Rather, it seems that the ball just scarries more since the UD has been reconfigured. Therefore, I don't think the fences need to be moved back, however I do think reconfiguring the team with more speed would be beneficial.

For example, I don't think Rowand will be a career .300 hitter, but I hope he proves me wrong. Nevertheless, I think Maggs probably is gone and signing him at this point to a contract at $15M/year with his injury would not be smart. So, Rowand could move to right to allow the Sox to pursue a true CF who can lead off. Hypothetically, I'm thinking of a Juan Pierre/Carl Crawford type. Also, if the Sox could swing a deal for such a CF, when Anderson comes up he could play left. (In the meantime, a player like Jose Cruz, Jr. could play left.) That would give the Sox a strong, fast outfield that would hit lots of doubles and triples while preventing other teams from doing the same. Meanwhile, Lee or Konerko would be gone, with the remaining one playing 1B with Frank DH-ing. The team would hit a good number of homers and score plenty of runs but also be equipped to succeed in large parks like Comerica, and the good D would help the Sox pitchers.

You don't trade Carlos Lee he's a potential 300 hitter every year with power.

Rush20
08-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Some of the computer graphics for the White Sox player introductions on the main scoreboard at US Cellular during the season have featured a picture of the player surrounded by a room full of arched doorways. Could this possibly be a preview of one of the planned renovations for 2005??? Right Field Home Run Porch, Grand Entrance, or other???
I noticed that too. I like the look as it reminds me of an old railroad station. I hope they add some brick and arched doorways. Perhaps in the concourse under the new proposed FUN-damentals.

I hope they announce the entire Phase V soon....

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-19-2004, 01:20 PM
[/QUOTE]I bet if they put a "Drink your fav. beer straight from the tap" section there, only about 5 people will complain about it here, probably less.[/QUOTE]

i like it

batmanZoSo
08-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Why don't they just take the money from US Cellular and sign a shortstop and a starting pitcher? :?:

tee-hee-hee....

SaltyPretzel
08-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Why don't they just take the money from US Cellular and sign a shortstop and a starting pitcher? :?:

tee-hee-hee....

I hope that was supposed to be in teal. :mad:

batmanZoSo
08-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I hope that was supposed to be in teal. :mad:
No, it wasn't. But I was being facetious...as evidenced by the smiley and my girlish laughter.

SaltyPretzel
08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
No, it wasn't. But I was being facetious...as evidenced by the smiley and my girlish laughter.
Sorry.:smile:

jordan23ventura
08-20-2004, 12:27 AM
You don't trade Carlos Lee he's a potential 300 hitter every year with power.
I agree. He had a terrible start to this year and is still putting up numbers like last year. He is proving to be consistent. I wouldn't have a problem seeing PK go, but Carlos is out the question. I don't think he'll hit .320, but if anyone is going to put up Maggs-type numbers for us it's him.