PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's AVG is higher than Crede's or Jose's

gobears1987
08-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Who thought this would happen? We all thought Big Ben Davis would have a low average below .200, but according to the stats on MLB gameday, he is hitting .256, much higher than the low averages for Crede and Valentin.

Go Ben

SoxFan76
08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Take into account the number of ABs. Although I do believe Davis will finish higher than both. Crede will finish above Jose.

Joel Perez
08-18-2004, 10:45 PM
:bandance: Cool bananas.
Talk about late bloomers. I wonder how long Ben can hold this up. I know he's around 28 yrs of age, since being the 2nd overall pick from SD from 1995 out of high school...and, according to www.chisox.com, he's hitting .323 in the last 10 games that he's played w/6 RBI's which is great...

But how many people think that Ben Davis can do this for 120-130 games in a season???

I guess (and really hope) he can duplicate his short success next year in a Sox uni....go Ben!!!

dcb33
08-18-2004, 10:47 PM
And we say, Thank you Ben Davis.

SEALgep
08-18-2004, 10:57 PM
:bandance: Cool bananas.
Talk about late bloomers. I wonder how long Ben can hold this up. I know he's around 28 yrs of age, since being the 2nd overall pick from SD from 1995 out of high school...and, according to www.chisox.com (http://www.chisox.com/), he's hitting .323 in the last 10 games that he's played w/6 RBI's which is great...

But how many people think that Ben Davis can do this for 120-130 games in a season???

I guess (and really hope) he can duplicate his short success next year in a Sox uni....go Ben!!!Although he probably isn't a .300 hitter for a 120-130 games, he may very well live up to the what he was thought to be when drafted #2, which is being a pretty darn good catcher and dangerous at the plate. Not to mention the energy level he brings, which Hawk and DJ commented on today. Personally, I'd love to have him back next year, and probably the next few. A two year contract for about the 3 mill range is probably well worth it IMO.

mealfred13
08-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Although he probably isn't a .300 hitter for a 120-130 games, he may very well live up to the what he was thought to be when drafted #2, which is being a pretty darn good catcher and dangerous at the plate. Not to mention the energy level he brings, which Hawk and DJ commented on today. Personally, I'd love to have him back next year, and probably the next few. A two year contract for about the 3 mill range is probably well worth it IMO.
Like I said before, he was hitting some .300 or so before the 2003 ASB, and then tanked suddenly. Not sure what happened, but obviously this is not abnormal for him to be hitting well.

owensmouth
08-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Take into account the number of ABs. Although I do believe Davis will finish higher than both. Crede will finish above Jose.
Next hit, he'll pass Uribe. Can he play shortstop?

SEALgep
08-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Like I said before, he was hitting some .300 or so before the 2003 ASB, and then tanked suddenly. Not sure what happened, but obviously this is not abnormal for him to be hitting well.Exactly, but Walker has done wonders for players with less potential. Plus the fact that Seattle really never gave him any playing time this year. Not sure whether it was deserved or not, but a fresh start in a new environment such as the one we can provide can really benefit a lot of players, especially the ones with Big Ben's potential. Hope for the best, but so far so good.

hose
08-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Big Ben is hitting .409 for the month of August

YES

OzzieBall2004
08-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Personally, I'd love to have him back next year, and probably the next few. A two year contract for about the 3 mill range is probably well worth it IMO.

You bring up an interesting point....He's playing for a contract, that hadn't dawned on me. Hopefully, he'll respect our organization for giving him a chance to turn it around (Seattle clearly wasnt willing to do that seeing as he only played in 14 games and was sent to AAA Tacoma). Obviously good 2nd half numbers wont guarantee you riches in the offseason when you've had a disappointing career thus far, but I really like this guys enthusiasm and the best thing I've noticed is even his outs have been good, productive ABs. He calls a good game and has pretty good defense as well. You cant ask for much more. If we can get him for 2-3 mil a year, I say go for it.

HomeFish
08-19-2004, 12:17 AM
We need a "BIG BEN" graphic on the jumbotron, perhaps a gong-type clock noise for when he gets a hit too.

Aidan
08-19-2004, 12:19 AM
Ben Davis is a stud. We hit gold.

StepsInSC
08-19-2004, 12:47 AM
I may get flamed as being a pescimist, but while I'm happy with his success obviously I think its quick to pronounce him a success already. Give me a break.

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Davis has shattered the point of my mockery sig tryin to say his bat avg will be lower than shingos era, but despite shingos era goin up a smidge, i wont complain if davis continues to prove me wrong.

mealfred13
08-19-2004, 03:15 AM
Exactly, but Walker has done wonders for players with less potential. Plus the fact that Seattle really never gave him any playing time this year. Not sure whether it was deserved or not, but a fresh start in a new environment such as the one we can provide can really benefit a lot of players, especially the ones with Big Ben's potential. Hope for the best, but so far so good.
I have to say, I wouldn't have expected Olivo to be doing as good as Ben Davis is for us at the moment. In that respect, he's given us a better Catcher offensively for the rest of the season, minimum. He's also been calling great games and he's got a pretty damn good arm, not far off from Olivo's as far as accuracy at least.

Great all-around guy, and I hope they tender him by the end of the season. Any ideas what he was making this year and in previous years?

Aidan
08-19-2004, 05:22 AM
Great all-around guy, and I hope they tender him by the end of the season. Any ideas what he was making this year and in previous years?Ben has a $1,400,000 contract for this season and I believe he made $1,000,000 last season. I have no doubt that we will sign him to a contract after this season. After all, Sandy is probably going to retire and Burke is a 32 year old career Triple AAA catcher. Also, our minor league catching prospects are years away from being MLB ready.

JDP
08-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Hey kids, Big Ben. Parliament.

34 Inch Stick
08-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Did you see him the other night after hitting his home run. A group of fans behind home plate had started a "Crede's Crew" type of group for Ben. He pointed and thanked them after he crossed home plate. I imagine he has never had a cheering section in a major league town. The hitting success and the fan support have got to make him think he has found a home.

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Ben has a $1,400,000 contract for this season and I believe he made $1,000,000 last season. I have no doubt that we will sign him to a contract after this season. After all, Sandy is probably going to retire and Burke is a 32 year old career Triple AAA catcher. Also, our minor league catching prospects are years away from being MLB ready.
I predict Sandy A. will be on the Sox' coaching staff next year. I feel real good with Burke and Big Ben behiond the plate for us next year. One less piece of the puzzle for KW to fill.

jabrch
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I predict Sandy A. will be on the Sox' coaching staff next year. I feel real good with Burke and Big Ben behiond the plate for us next year. One less piece of the puzzle for KW to fill.
I think he will play one more year for us. Then he will retire. I'd imagine he will take one year off after retiring, but I do believe he will be on our coaching staff soon. And he should be...

balke
08-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Isn't he kinda Garcia's guy? I was under the impression that they are like an inseperable package. I hope he stays, so long as he plays like he has been next season as well.