PDA

View Full Version : Cubs set to fire Oscar Acosta

Jerry_Manuel
10-03-2001, 06:53 AM
Here is the story (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cside03.html)

If he does indeed get fired anyone want him to replace Nardi?

GASHWOUND
10-03-2001, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Here is the story (http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cside03.html)

If he does indeed get fired anyone want him to replace Nardi?

Hmmm...Nope, Weeell.....Nah

duke of dorwood
10-03-2001, 09:23 AM
If in fact he was canned because he does a little shouting, we sure have some guys that could use that

:walk

"I'd have to hide my gas supply"

Vsahajpal
10-03-2001, 11:00 AM
Goodbye and good riddance.

No longer will this buffoon adversely affect Carlos Zambrano, Kerry Wood, Chiasson, Prior et al.

CerberusWG
10-03-2001, 03:54 PM
LOL, owned. BTW is it me or does Zambrano's stuff seem less than impressive. Cruz has some wicked stuff, and has a good chance to become a good pitcher. Zambrano just overthrows way too often.

Spiff
10-03-2001, 03:57 PM
When I read this thread's title the first couple times, I read it too fast and I thought it said "Cubs set fire to Oscar Acosta"

I was thinking, man, they really are barbaric.

Daver
10-03-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
When I read this thread's title the first couple times, I read it too fast and I thought it said "Cubs set fire to Oscar Acosta"

I was thinking, man, they really are barbaric.

beausox
10-03-2001, 07:18 PM
DON'T LET HIM NEAR ANY OF OUR PITCHERS!!!!!!!!

He was quoted at in spring training, questiong William Ohman's manlihood because he was complaining of a tired arm. If Ohman was a veteran this might be a way to motivate him, but he is a 24 year old rookie with a promising future. I don't want him near any of our young guys.

kermittheefrog
10-04-2001, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Goodbye and good riddance.

No longer will this buffoon adversely affect Carlos Zambrano, Kerry Wood, Chiasson, Prior et al.

Other than the thing with Will Ohman in spring what has Acosta done wrong? It seems like he's done a very good job with the Cubs vastly improved ERA and major league strikeout record. He had the roation all pitching well and Kyle Farnsworth turned into a great pitcher under Acosta. What's wrong with the guy?

Vsahajpal
10-04-2001, 02:29 AM
In addition to the Ohman incident, he also treated Carlos Zambrano like crap. Questioning his age, despite Z's valid birth certificate. Last year, he conveniently "lost track" of Ruben Quevedo's pitch count-turned out the 21 year old RHP threw 133 pitches that game; Acosta later said, he didn't even know he crossed 100. The most damaging thing, IMO, is that Kerry Wood has repeatedly asked for Nolan Ryan's help, despite the fact that Ryan owns Round Rock, the division rival Houston Astros double A affiliate.

As for Farnsworth, I don't see how Acosta helped him. Farnsworth was moved to the bullpen after being a starter; considering he only has 2 pitches, that's where he should have been all along. How many starters not named Randy Johnson get by with 2 pitches? Octavio Dotel is another example; Both are young, both have two pitches (fastball/slider), and they each struggled as a starter.