PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's "ride him hard" comment

ja1022
08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Did anybody else get a kick out of Hawk saying Everett should "ride him hard and put him away wet" during his at bat with Esteban Yan. Never heard that phrase used in quite that context before. Say what you will about him, the man's got his own style. Gotta love the Hawk.

mantis1212
08-18-2004, 11:03 AM
I caught that too, it made me crack up. Hawk comes up with some strange ones...

WillieHarris12
08-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Lol, I love Hawkaroo!

Baby Fisk
08-18-2004, 11:18 AM
I caught that too, it made me crack up. Hawk comes up with some strange ones...
Not to mention dirty ones. :o:

infohawk
08-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Not to mention dirty ones. :o:
The phrase "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet" is often used in a "dirty" context but is actually a reference to bull riding.

Baby Fisk
08-18-2004, 11:27 AM
The phrase "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet" is often used in a "dirty" context but is actually a reference to bull riding.
I'm glad there's a non-dirty use of this phrase. I've been sitting here wondering how Hawk is going to avoid serious reprimands for using that on air. You da man, Hawk! :cool:

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
It's still early in the day I guess, but I can't figure out what it means in either a dirty or a bull-riding sense.

pudge
08-18-2004, 12:21 PM
The quote was actually "Ride 'em hard, work 'em over, and put 'em away wet." And I think he said it when Robbie Alomar was at bat. But my jaw hit the floor when he said it. I figured it wasn't meant to be dirty, but geesh.

ja1022
08-18-2004, 02:10 PM
The quote was actually "Ride 'em hard, work 'em over, and put 'em away wet." And I think he said it when Robbie Alomar was at bat. But my jaw hit the floor when he said it. I figured it wasn't meant to be dirty, but geesh.
Thanks Pudge, for the exact quote--I knew I was paraphrasing. And I think it was Alomar, and he struck out swinging. I don't think he meant it in a dirty context, I just thought it was funny to hear him say it.

Soxzilla
08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
The best was when hawk was commenting on how someone had hemmroids, and DJ was all uncomfortable.

Hawk - "Well he HAD 'em!"

DJ - "Dang man, you don't need to be tellin' people that!"

:nuts:

habibharu
08-18-2004, 02:57 PM
The best was when hawk was commenting on how someone had hemmroids, and DJ was all uncomfortable.

:nuts: yeah, he was talking about george brett having to deal with hemmoroids

fledgedrallycap
08-18-2004, 02:58 PM
It's still early in the day I guess, but I can't figure out what it means in either a dirty or a bull-riding sense.
You my friend need to get a more creative imagination....:tongue:

AnkleSox
08-18-2004, 03:21 PM
Even if he did mean it in a dirty way, I'm sure he could use his age and say it used to be a common term about bullriding.

bluestar
08-18-2004, 04:07 PM
The term "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet" refers to horse riding, not bull riding, and it is nothing dirty in this context. Hawk adds the "work 'em over."

When any horse is worked really hard, it will sweat profusely and get very dirty. Someone should then bath and brush/rub the horse down to assist in drying it and prevent it from getting sick. Big horse stables that train horses have crews of people to do this, but most people that own only a few horses don't do this. If someone rides the horse hard and then puts it back in the stable wet and dirty, it is abusive to the horse. In cold weather, it can even kill the horse.

A savvy horse buyer can tell if a horse has been abused. Thus, the term "she's/he's been ridden hard and put away wet" means the horse has been abused and damaged.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 04:08 PM
You my friend need to get a more creative imagination....:tongue:
Gots to....:unsure:

I remember the George Brett/hemorrhoid discussion. Just way too much info. from the Hawk on that one.

WinningUgly!
08-18-2004, 05:29 PM

:nuts:
The news of George Brett's hemorrhoids was a huge story in 1980. The 'roids actually caused him to miss some of the World Series. At the time, Phillies pitcher Tug McGraw said: "George is in the toughest position of anyone in the world. He had to announce to the nation he has hemorrhoids."

If not for the "pinetar homerun" a few years later, George Brett would still be known best, for his hemorrhoids.

he_gone_89
08-18-2004, 11:11 PM
the one that i think passed everyone was,hawk answering a e-mail comparing Jose Contreras to Luis Tiant[this was during the "Come on,timo" game]

he started a story about how Tiant use to crack him up by,and i quote
"walking around stark naked with his big footlong....[pauses for a second] Cuban Cigar".

i was drunk,so i laughed at it for about 20 minutes. Did anybody else pick this one up???

Soxzilla
08-18-2004, 11:15 PM
the one that i think passed everyone was,hawk answering a e-mail comparing Jose Contreras to Luis Tiant[this was during the "Come on,timo" game]

he started a story about how Tiant use to crack him up by,and i quote
"walking around stark naked with his big footlong....[pauses for a second] Cuban Cigar".

i was drunk,so i laughed at it for about 20 minutes. Did anybody else pick this one up???
I was gonna say that one also, but the george brett thing came into my head:P.

Dj was also quite uncomfortable on that one as well:D: . He was like, hawk, that is just too much information.

Whitesox029
08-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Hawk=Fine Wine:
Better and better with age.
:bandance: :bandance:

pudge
08-19-2004, 12:28 PM
The term "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet" refers to horse riding, not bull riding, and it is nothing dirty in this context. Hawk adds the "work 'em over."

When any horse is worked really hard, it will sweat profusely and get very dirty. Someone should then bath and brush/rub the horse down to assist in drying it and prevent it from getting sick. Big horse stables that train horses have crews of people to do this, but most people that own only a few horses don't do this. If someone rides the horse hard and then puts it back in the stable wet and dirty, it is abusive to the horse. In cold weather, it can even kill the horse.

A savvy horse buyer can tell if a horse has been abused. Thus, the term "she's/he's been ridden hard and put away wet" means the horse has been abused and damaged.
Interesting, thanks.

Erik The Red
08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
I've also caught him cussing on-air more lately. He's let out the work "bitch" on a couple occasions, i.e. "He's bitching about so-and-so".

I dunno, I guess bitch isn't the terrible word it was when I was growing up. At any rate, let's play it safe... no one tell Michael Powell.

infohawk
08-19-2004, 02:07 PM

A savvy horse buyer can tell if a horse has been abused. Thus, the term "she's/he's been ridden hard and put away wet" means the horse has been abused and damaged.I defer to someone who obviously knows much more about horse-riding then I do. I thought it was bull-riding, but it does make more sense that it would be a reference to riding horses. Hey, I was close! :D:

KingXerxes
08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Maybe Harrelson is going to morph back into his "cowboy" persona for next season. For those of you who may not remember there was:

1. Hippie "Hawk" - This was when he was on Boston wearing Nehru jackets.
2. Cowboy "Hawk" - This period peaked as GM of the White Sox
3. Baseball "Hawk" - For the past few years.

:reinsy

"You know Ken.........I've been looking at our ratings, and we don't seem to pulling the big numbers anymore............maybe it's time for Ballerina "Hawk".

:hawk

"Mr. Reinsdorf.........and let me say right here that I'm not disagreeing with you sir..............no sir you always know best.............but do you think a Ballerina "Hawk" will have any credibilty? I mean I'm from Woodruff, South Carolina sir............and golly there just weren't many ballerinas around there............"

:reinsy

"First off, a Ballerina "Hawk" from South Carolina is no less credible than a Cowboy "Hawk" from South Carolina - or did you live in the part of South Carolina were cowboys roamed the plains and herded cattle?..........Second off, if you ever.......and I mean EVER...........show such insubordination to me again, I'll simply have you replaced with Wayne Hagen. He told me he'd be willing to come up from KMOX and be Fireman "Wayne-O" anytime - now put the tutu on Harrelson."

:hawk

"Yessir."