PDA

View Full Version : Old 1987-90 Caps Popular Again?

Viva Magglio
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Before the game tonight, I went to Grandstand (www.grandstandsox.com) and purchased the old White Sox cap worn from 1987 to late 1990. Later at the ballpark, I noticed that a number of White Sox fans were wearing this particular cap. One of them wearing a worn and torn version of this cap asked me where I got mine. I wonder why these particular retro caps are coming back in popularity.

WillieHarris12
08-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Before the game tonight, I went to Grandstand (http://www.grandstandsox.com/) and purchased the old White Sox cap worn from 1987 to late 1990. Later at the ballpark, I noticed that a number of White Sox fans were wearing this particular cap. One of them wearing a worn and torn version of this cap asked me where I got mine. I wonder why these particular retro caps are coming back in popularity.
My personal friend and favorite Sox pitcher of all-time Donn Pall used to wear that hat when he began his White Sox career. I have that hat from wayyy back when they had hat day at the park. I was younger but my Dad gave it to me. I love it.

SomebodyToldMe
08-18-2004, 12:41 AM
I bought one a week ago. I've been waiting for it to come out for a while now.

It's my favorite SOX hat. So I HAD to get it.

Chrisaway
08-18-2004, 01:41 AM
you're talking about the cursive "e" looking hat right.

SomebodyToldMe
08-18-2004, 02:06 AM
you're talking about the cursive "e" looking hat right.
Yep. That's the one.

My favorite hat, and favorite jersey. Good stuff.

Chrisaway
08-18-2004, 02:38 AM
I like the 70's style red hats myself. Mine got all wet tonite at the game. And well I like all the jerseys. My current "want" is an 81 style Fisk jersey.

ps-I think I just may have one of those "e" hats somewhere.

mdep524
08-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Yep. That's the one.

My favorite hat, and favorite jersey. Good stuff.Does anyone know why they don't sell this one particular hat at the Cell? The HOF Gift Shop has basically every other style of hat the Sox have ever worn... except for this one. Why is that? I've always liked those curly C hats.

calderon
08-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Does anyone know why they don't sell this one particular hat at the Cell? The HOF Gift Shop has basically every other style of hat the Sox have ever worn... except for this one. Why is that? I've always liked those curly C hats.
I was at the KC game last Thursday, and they had the curly c hats, I had to get one in honor of my hero Ivan!!! r.i.p.

Whitesox029
08-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Before the game tonight, I went to Grandstand (http://www.grandstandsox.com/) and purchased the old White Sox cap worn from 1987 to late 1990. Later at the ballpark, I noticed that a number of White Sox fans were wearing this particular cap. One of them wearing a worn and torn version of this cap asked me where I got mine. I wonder why these particular retro caps are coming back in popularity.It was only a matter of time. I love those caps--I have a picture of myself at the age of 2 wearing one.

pinwheels3530
08-18-2004, 09:51 AM
I also like the jersey's they wore from '87-90' with White Sox across the chest. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Baby Fisk
08-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Oh man! I LOVE the curly C hats! I've got a battered old one from the 80s and have been hoping for these to come back. Those of you who bought new ones (Viva M and SomebodyToldMe): is the curly C raised or flat on the cap?

Can anyone tell me how I can get one of these caps online?

Uncle_Patrick
08-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know why they don't sell this one particular hat at the Cell? The HOF Gift Shop has basically every other style of hat the Sox have ever worn... except for this one. Why is that? I've always liked those curly C hats.
Maybe it has to do with the brand making the cap. All the retro caps in the HOF gift shop are made by American Needle, or, at least they were last time I checked. Grandstand usually sells caps made by New Era. Perhaps American Needle hasn't started making the 1987-1990 Sox cap yet. I've noticed that US Cellular doesn't carry any of the retro caps made by New Era, even in the New Era Cap Corner.

sti3
08-18-2004, 09:59 AM
The owner of Grandstand said that Mitchell and Ness is going to make available Guillen and I think a couple other jerseys from that era. Of course, they will retail for $300+ but replicas will be shortly thereafter. I bid on an autographed Black Jack one on ebay but didn't want to pay $80 for it (which is actually not a bad deal anyway).

Baby Fisk
08-18-2004, 10:05 AM
The owner of Grandstand said that Mitchell and Ness is going to make available Guillen and I think a couple other jerseys from that era. Of course, they will retail for $300+ but replicas will be shortly thereafter. I bid on an autographed Black Jack one on ebay but didn't want to pay $80 for it (which is actually not a bad deal anyway).
Hey, was that the one the seller misidentified as a Frank Thomas autograph? I saw Black Jack's signature and was tempted to bid too. :cool:

Palehose13
08-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Wow. I can't believe all the love from that era. I'd much rather forget those years and those plain uni's. :(:

mdep524
08-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I was at the KC game last Thursday, and they had the curly c hats, I had to get one in honor of my hero Ivan!!! r.i.p.
So wait, are you saying they are selling those hats at the park now? I went to last Monday's game and I didn't see them.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-18-2004, 10:32 AM
I also like the jersey's they wore from '87-90' with White Sox across the chest. Anyone know where I can buy one?
they have those at grandstand, but they cost a MINT. almost 300beans

WillieHarris12
08-18-2004, 10:36 AM
I want this one. :)

http://www.skisjerseys.com/Johnsonfront.jpg

calderon
08-18-2004, 10:48 AM
So wait, are you saying they are selling those hats at the park now? I went to last Monday's game and I didn't see them.they are for sale, by american needle, not as boxy as the new era caps which I prefer.

Foulke You
08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Wow. I can't believe all the love from that era. I'd much rather forget those years and those plain uni's. :(:
I'm with you PH13. I never liked those uniforms too much and the "e" hats, I felt were one of the worst Sox hats. I always thought that White Sox hats should have "Sox" written on them, not a fancy pants "C". I still own a couple of those hats from that era and I never wear it. I remember how awesome I thought the current uniforms looked when they unveiled them at the end of 1990. It was such a huge upgrade over the 87-90 era.

I remember reading that Reinsdorf loved the 87-90 uniforms because it was basically a Dodgers uniform with White Sox colors. Same cursive script on the front. Thankfully, they realized an updated version of the Go Go era team's uniforms was the way to go. I hope they stay with the current ones forever.

Medford Bobby
08-18-2004, 11:56 AM
:smile: Boy I agree, I always thought those uni's were a nice bridge between the softball "SOX" jersey's and the current uni's. As soon as Ozzie and Fisk too, modeled the new caps and uni's after an early July 1990 press conference, I could not wait to go out and buy a new cap:bandance: !!

Who would know the truth about the early '80's softball jersey's. Did the Sox really hold a fan design contest on those?????:whiner:

I'd like to see a Sunday home uni based on the Indian's and Ranger's jersey with the clean front with no strips, just 'strips down the front where you button up and an old english SOX on the front, maybe in the colours of the 1968-70 Sox era....................your thoughts???????:cool:

Palehose13
08-18-2004, 12:00 PM
:smile: Boy I agree, I always thought those uni's were a nice bridge between the softball "SOX" jersey's and the current uni's. As soon as Ozzie and Fisk too, modeled the new caps and uni's after an early July 1990 press conference, I could not wait to go out and buy a new cap:bandance: !!

Who would know the truth about the early '80's softball jersey's. Did the Sox really hold a fan design contest on those?????:whiner:

I'd like to see a Sunday home uni based on the Indian's and Ranger's jersey with the clean front with no strips, just 'strips down the front where you button up and an old english SOX on the front, maybe in the colours of the 1968-70 Sox era....................your thoughts???????:cool:
I love the early 80's uni's (ugly as they are) for sentimental reasons. That was the era I fell in love with the Sox.

1990 was such an exciting season and when the new uni's were unveiled, I felt like it was a "right of passage": The Sox were going to be consistently good again. Well, they are, but consistently in 2nd place. :(:

Baby Fisk
08-18-2004, 12:04 PM
I love the early 80's uni's (ugly as they are) for sentimental reasons. That was the era I fell in love with the Sox.

1990 was such an exciting season and when the new uni's were unveiled, I felt like it was a "right of passage": The Sox were going to be consistently good again. Well, they are, but consistently in 2nd place. :(:
I like the 87-90 curly C unies mostly because they are throwbacks, and not currently in use. Another chapter in Sox history to get to know. If the boys had to take the field in those things everyday nowadays, it would be a different story. The late 80s were pretty dark times (Sox moving to Florida?!) so everyone was glad when that era ended and the GLORIOUS AND PERFECT new uniforms were unveiled. :cool:

Brian26
08-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Indian's and Ranger's jersey

Paging Kittle42. Paging Kittle42.

Rush20
08-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Personally, I loved that era. I liked Torborg and I don't think he got enough recognition for their success. They hustled and were over-achieving. No superstar attitudes and Ivan wore some great jewelry! :D: I also like how Jack McDowell took on Dave Stewart and the mighty Oakland A's. If the wild card would have been around, we would have made it the year Oakland won the series. Plus crazy Steve Lyons pulling down his pants and Dan Pasqua getting busted for possession. :D:

I was never crazy about the "C" on the hat but I did like the White Sox script across the front of the home jerseys.

Plus - we played at Old Comiskey. :supernana:

mdep524
08-18-2004, 12:49 PM
So wait, are you saying they are selling those hats at the park now? I went to last Monday's game and I didn't see them.
EDIT: I just realized I was in the upper deck Monday, i.e. I was treated like a second class citizen/scum of the Earth in the ball park, thus I wasn't even ALLOWED to go to the lower deck at all, let alone the HOF Gift Shop. Have I ever mentioned how incredibly stupid that whole UD restriction policy is?? :angry: :angry: :angry:

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree, that was about the only cap/uniform style I didn't like.

SomebodyToldMe
08-18-2004, 01:19 PM
EDIT: I just realized I was in the upper deck Monday, i.e. I was treated like a second class citizen/scum of the Earth in the ball park, thus I wasn't even ALLOWED to go to the lower deck at all, let alone the HOF Gift Shop. Have I ever mentioned how incredibly stupid that whole UD restriction policy is?? :angry: :angry: :angry:
Agreed. I like the seats/view from up there, but I hate the fact that we're not allowed to "socialize" with the "others" in the ballpark.

It hurts my self-esteem.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Personally, I loved that era. I liked Torborg and I don't think he got enough recognition for their success. They hustled and were over-achieving. No superstar attitudes and Ivan wore some great jewelry! :D: I also like how
They were in 1990, but the rest of that era the teams were pretty bleak.

skobabe8
08-18-2004, 02:07 PM

I liked those 87-90 jerseys, too. Those were the years I became enamored with everything white sox, so those uni's are special to me. I like your idea about the sunday jersey. I always wanted to see what it would look like without the pinstripes, and add the piping that goes around the neck. Only problem is that would give us 4 different home tops! But if the mets have like 7, we can have 4.
:smile:

Uncle_Patrick
08-18-2004, 02:18 PM

Love those early 80's uniforms too, for the exact same reason. I was a kid then and that's when I got in the White Sox and I can't think of guys like Fisk, Walker, Baines, etc. without that uniform. When the team changed to the "C" hat and that, I thought they looked kind of dull.

Medford Bobby
08-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Have the Sox been wearing the black jersey's lately??? Have not seen them and I like the regular road jersey's on the road anyway then those black style tops........ :rolleyes:

ALSO have the Sox done a throwback salute to the early 70's Dick Allen era threads. I guess that's when I became a huge SOX fan as a 10 year old and always liked those threads.. :smile:

What is (or was) this years Turn Back the Clock??? salute? :?:

Max Power
08-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I hope the late 80's hat isn't becoming too popular. I needed a new hat before this season started and I decided to go with the curly C hat precisely because relatively few people were wearing them. Though it does seem like I see more of them every time I go to a game. On the other hand, when I'm walking down the street I don't think many people recognize that I'm wearing a Sox hat.
I'm all 80's at the games: late 80's hat, early 80's Fisk jersey.

batmanZoSo
08-18-2004, 07:31 PM
This is the worst hat and uniform in White Sox history, including those putrid navy blue softball unis from the late 70s. At least those were innovative. Way too many teams use red and blue, I'm so glad we got away from that.

In my opinion the best hat ever was the 59 one. It was black with the diagonal sox logo in a similar font style as this, and it had red trim. And the uniforms were like present day only red replaced silver with numbers on the sleeves. I'd like to see those revived.

I can't find a 59 hat that's adjustable. I hate the fitted ones, they're always mishapen and none of them fit me right--71/2 will shrink and become too tight and 75/8 is way too big. Anyone know a good site? I already checked the Grandstand.

vegyrex
08-18-2004, 07:48 PM
The '59 style is the best one ever, but I like what we have now.

Back around '88 Sports Illistrated said those '87 - '90 Sox uniforms were the worst in baseball.

mdep524
08-18-2004, 09:13 PM
In my opinion the best hat ever was the 59 one. It was black with the diagonal sox logo in a similar font style as this, and it had red trim. And the uniforms were like present day only red replaced silver with numbers on the sleeves. I'd like to see those revived.

I can't find a 59 hat that's adjustable. I hate the fitted ones, they're always mishapen and none of them fit me right--71/2 will shrink and become too tight and 75/8 is way too big. Anyone know a good site? I already checked the Grandstand.
Ha, that is hilarious batman because I am exactly the same way. The '59 hat is my favorite, but fitted hats never fit me right. I bought a 7 1/4 earlier this season in the hope it would shrink enough to fit me, but it is still too big. I have a 7 1/8 with the current logo but I can't wear it because it is way too tight.

I still wear the 7 1/4 '59 hat to games, but I look like Danny Wright (or at the least James Baldwin) because it is too big. If only they made 7 3/16... :(:

batmanZoSo
08-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Ha, that is hilarious batman because I am exactly the same way. The '59 hat is my favorite, but fitted hats never fit me right. I bought a 7 1/4 earlier this season in the hope it would shrink enough to fit me, but it is still too big. I have a 7 1/8 with the current logo but I can't wear it because it is way too tight.

I still wear the 7 1/4 '59 hat to games, but I look like Danny Wright (or at the least James Baldwin) because it is too big. If only they made 7 3/16... :(:
Yeah I'm between 1/2 and 5/8...I need like 45/89ths or something. Or metrics...

I also hate the way the fitted caps come with straight bills and I can never get them to stay as bent as I want them to. And the front part is often jacked up.

MikeW
08-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Isn't it funny that we fans go for the uniforms of our youth. Mine was the early 1960's style. I remember going to Yankee Stadium in 1963 or 1964 when the Sox were the first road team to wear a different color other than gray(powder blue).
:smile:

Whitesox029
08-18-2004, 11:09 PM
I saw three people wearing these today at the game. Think about it....can you believe we still have a player who wore that jersey?

Palehose13
08-19-2004, 12:25 AM
I saw three people wearing these today at the game. Think about it....can you believe we still have a player who wore that jersey?
Who would that be? (And it was briefly becaue the new uni's were unveiled before the end of the 1990 season)

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Big Frank wore the old uni's and was in the unveiling of the current pinstripes.

If you have a fitted cap that is slightly too small (or, as so many of mine have, has shrunk) get a hat jack http://www.jastown.com/hats/hs-919.htm to stretch it out a little. They work great.

The '59 uniform not only had red around the Sox logo instead of silver, but the main color of the uniform was cream instead of white. I can't tell you how much I'd like to find a replica '59 jersey with "Fox" on the back and the 2 on the back and sleeve. I usually wear a fitted '59 cap with the current jersey when I am able to get to a game, either back in Chicago or at the Humpdome.

Hitmen77
08-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Wow. I can't believe all the love from that era. I'd much rather forget those years and those plain uni's. :(:I couldn't agree with you more. Those uniforms were too generic and those Curly C caps were laughable. I remember getting alot of ribbing from jerk Cub fans over the lameness of those caps. I remember one guy calling them "Campbell Soup" caps.

If you like curly C caps and can't find a Sox cap, there is always this alternative:
http://www.imageexchange.com/mvx10/engine.cgi?cid=K2QZ5XU0W67RSP3FCL5dQkICgd&store=campbells&page=index&body=sku1&sku=12059

Hitmen77
08-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Careful about complaining about the UD restriction on this site. The church elders of WSI will come out and call anyone who buys upper deck tickets a cheapskate. Nevermind that a so-called "cheapskate" can spend over $100 to take your family to a game with UD tickets.

Unfortunately, I think the policy started because that idiot Cub fan bought upper deck tickets, sat in the lower deck, and ran onto the field a couple of years ago - which came on the heels of the Ligue incident. Thanks to Cub fans and the Chicago media perpetuating the false idea that this happens all the time at Sox Park, the Sox are still not living those incidents down and won't for a long time to come (the Trib is overdue for a headline on "Sox Fan Ligue" the next time he as much as gets a speeding ticket).

For better or worse, the UD policy is here to stay.

mdep524
08-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Careful about complaining about the UD restriction on this site. The church elders of WSI will come out and call anyone who buys upper deck tickets a cheapskate. Nevermind that a so-called "cheapskate" can spend over $100 to take your family to a game with UD tickets.
As I'm sure you know, the LD usually sells out for Monday and Tuesday night games, so if you can't get to the park before 5:30 or so you're in the UD. Obviously if I'd prefer to sit in the LD and when available I always do that.

Unfortunately, I think the policy started because that idiot Cub fan bought upper deck tickets, sat in the lower deck, and ran onto the field a couple of years ago - which came on the heels of the Ligue incident. Thanks to Cub fans and the Chicago media perpetuating the false idea that this happens all the time at Sox Park, the Sox are still not living those incidents down and won't for a long time to come (the Trib is overdue for a headline on "Sox Fan Ligue" the next time he as much as gets a speeding ticket).

For better or worse, the UD policy is here to stay.
That is my understanding of why they introduced the policy also. But it is still complete and utter BS. If that is truly the concern, I would understand having ushers at the top of each aisle checking tickets. But to be denied access to the Fan Deck, the HOF Gift Shop, better food stands (its not a myth- the food IS better on the LD), and a host of other LD attractions-- just because of a few incidents from white trash-- is terrible. If really makes UD fans feel like second-class trash. I have no problem sitting and watching a game from up there, the few is actually nice. But to not allow a fan to walk around on the LD concourse is, IMO, unacceptable. Besides, at the Urinal, where fans are far drunker than the Cell, there is no such policy in place.

Hitmen77
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
As I'm sure you know, the LD usually sells out for Monday and Tuesday night games, so if you can't get to the park before 5:30 or so you're in the UD. Obviously if I'd prefer to sit in the LD and when available I always do that.I agree. Not only that, but I believe that certain upperdeck seats have a better view of the game than some lower deck seats. So, I have taken 5th row in UD near homeplate over a LD seat in the last row of a section near one of the foul poles - not because I'm looking for the cheapest seat, but because I'm looking for the best available seat.

That is my understanding of why they introduced the policy also. But it is still complete and utter BS. If that is truly the concern, I would understand having ushers at the top of each aisle checking tickets. But to be denied access to the Fan Deck, the HOF Gift Shop, better food stands (its not a myth- the food IS better on the LD), and a host of other LD attractions-- just because of a few incidents from white trash-- is terrible. If really makes UD fans feel like second-class trash. I have no problem sitting and watching a game from up there, the few is actually nice. But to not allow a fan to walk around on the LD concourse is, IMO, unacceptable. Besides, at the Urinal, where fans are far drunker than the Cell, there is no such policy in place.I agree that the concessions are much better in the LD. Ever since New Comiskey opened, the Sox have been fighting against this unfair perception that the park's UD is awful, undesirable and every seat in the UD is terrible. Now they've completed a renovation that looks great and helps beat back that notion and make it more inviting to customers - but they have this policy that negates the positive feelings about the UD and reinforces its image as a not-so-desirable place.

Speaking of the Urinal, not only are their fans drunker, but their LD concessions are much more cramped and crowded and they have no problem with providing access from the UD. If long lines and crowing in the LD is an issue and a reason for this policy at USCF, maybe the Sox or their contracted concessions vendor should do something about the slow service at the concessions. It always seems to take forever to wait for the 4 people ahead of me in line and me buy their damn hot dogs. Alot of those concessions workers are slower than molassas.

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 02:09 PM
I agree. Not only that, but I believe that certain upperdeck seats have a better view of the game than some lower deck seats. So, I have taken 5th row in UD near homeplate over a LD seat in the last row of a section near one of the foul poles - not because I'm looking for the cheapest seat, but because I'm looking for the best available seat.

I agree that the concessions are much better in the LD. Ever since New Comiskey opened, the Sox have been fighting against this unfair perception that the park's UD is awful, undesirable and every seat in the UD is terrible. Now they've completed a renovation that looks great and helps beat back that notion and make it more inviting to customers - but they have this policy that negates the positive feelings about the UD and reinforces its image as a not-so-desirable place.

Speaking of the Urinal, not only are their fans drunker, but their LD concessions are much more cramped and crowded and they have no problem with providing access from the UD. If long lines and crowing in the LD is an issue and a reason for this policy at USCF, maybe the Sox or their contracted concessions vendor should do something about the slow service at the concessions. It always seems to take forever to wait for the 4 people ahead of me in line and me buy their damn hot dogs. Alot of those concessions workers are slower than molassas.
I agree, a lot of those workers seem to need a strong cup of coffee. I'm thinking that if they move the registers a bit closer together, they can sqeeze one more at each counter. I don't like the UD policy, the "overcrowding" excuse is a bit dubious because if that was true, it would have been implemented long before the a-holes ran onto the field.

DumpJerry
08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
I like the 71-75 caps (red with a simple gothic "Sox" on it), I call the them the Wilbur Wood era hats to remind people we had Wood on the mound first. Own two of 'em. Flub fans always ask why am I wearing a Red Sox hat. I respond it is not a Red Sox hat, it is a red Sox hat. They get confused.:cool:

batmanZoSo
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Why does everyone care so much about the UD restriction policy? I usually sit in the upper deck because simply they're the best seats you can get without season tickets. I'd rather sit at home than be down by the foul pole with my head turned 90 degrees the whole time. And the outfield view is too far away, you can't see the location and you can't tell what's fair or foul. Anything behind the dugouts or the plate in the upper deck is a fantastic seat.

Why do people with UD tickets want to go downstairs? What do you wanna go down there and stand? There's a gift shop upstairs and all the same food. I don't get it.