PDA

View Full Version : We desperately need another bullpen lefty

Mohoney
08-17-2004, 11:16 PM
An overworked Damaso Marte gives up 2 runs in the 9th.

Neal Cotts does his best Rick Ankiel impression.

I think that this game could turn out to be a blessing, IF management ever wakes up and decides that:

(A)Damaso Marte can't be the only reliable lefty option.

(B)Any playoff roster that includes Neal Cotts has absolutely no chance to succeed.

SoxFan76
08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
I've said it a million times, Neal Cotts needs to be in AAA in the starting rotation. This is ridiculous. He is a STARTER, not a bullpen guy.

bc2k
08-17-2004, 11:28 PM
I've said it a million times, Neal Cotts needs to be in AAA in the starting rotation. This is ridiculous. He is a STARTER, not a bullpen guy.
Yeah, that Cotts potentially has a future as a starter combined with him being a bad bullpen pitcher, leads me to agree with you that he should be starting in AAA.

There is no need for KW to trade for a solid lefty reliever. Kelly Wunsch has done the job in the past, and can do so again this year. Kelly Wunsch is the answer.

While we're at it, cut Mike Jackson. I glanced at the stats of Sox AAA reliever Courtney Duncan the other day, and while admitting I no nothing about him other than his current stats and that he was on the Cubs, he cannot be worse than Mike "I'm a groundball pitcher who gives up Grand Slam after Grand Slam" Jackson.

OUT: COTTS and JACKSON
IN: WUNSCH and DUNCAN

JB98
08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Yeah, that Cotts potentially has a future as a starter combined with him being a bad bullpen pitcher, leads me to agree with you that he should be starting in AAA.

There is no need for KW to trade for a solid lefty reliever. Kelly Wunsch has done the job in the past, and can do so again this year. Kelly Wunsch is the answer.

While we're at it, cut Mike Jackson. I glanced at the stats of Sox AAA reliever Courtney Duncan the other day, and while admitting I no nothing about him other than his current stats and that he was on the Cubs, he cannot be worse than Mike "I'm a groundball pitcher who gives up Grand Slam after Grand Slam" Jackson.

OUT: COTTS and JACKSON
IN: WUNSCH and DUNCAN
I'd call up Duncan, Wunsch AND Bajenaru. Release Jackson and send Diaz and Cotts back to AAA. Both are future starters and have no business being in the bullpen.

StillMissOzzie
08-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I have no idea why the Sox brass are so in love with the idea of giving their rookie starting pitchers jobs in the bullpen as a sort of on-the-job training. They seem to feel that any MLB experience is better than having their starters regularly go out there every 4th or 5th day and extending their arms and pitch counts. I just don't get it.

SMO
:?:

DrCrawdad
08-18-2004, 01:21 AM
I'd call up Duncan, Wunsch AND Bajenaru. Release Jackson and send Diaz and Cotts back to AAA. Both are future starters and have no business being in the bullpen.

IIRC Duncan is on the DL, other than that I agree.

The Sox bullpen (inhales).

Randar68
08-18-2004, 01:22 AM
I'd call up Duncan, Wunsch AND Bajenaru. Release Jackson and send Diaz and Cotts back to AAA. Both are future starters and have no business being in the bullpen.jesus.

1) Duncan is on the DL, hasn't been healthy in 2+ months, but Charlotte has had nobody in the pen for a while.
2) Wunsch can't hit 85 mph when he was throwing 92 when healthy and effective in the past. He also hasn't pitched 20 innings all year and today is now august 18th.
3) Bajenaru only recently moved up from Birmingham and is nursing a strained groin muscle, and probably will be the rest of the year.

Haven't Munoz, Rauch, and Diaz's performances taught you people anything? being mediocre in AAA is a hell of a lott different that being serviceable in the majors. Diaz, Rauch, Cotts, and Munoz were absolutely dominating in aA or AAA before getting their chances. what makes anyon think guys like Stewart or these other guys can step in?

Pass the crack pipe.

Soxzilla
08-18-2004, 02:06 AM
What are the chances of Ugy getting 1 save each for 2 different teams in one series?:cool:

Aidan
08-18-2004, 02:44 AM
I was at the game last night and good lord Cotts looked brutal. I think he threw three wild pitches although one of them should have been caught by Ben Davis. He needs to be sent down to AAA and learn how to be a starting pitcher so he can help our rotation next season. We definately need another reliever in the pen. Hell, Kelly Wunsch would be a blessing right about now. In fact, we should bring him up right now.

gosox41
08-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Last season I ripped Neal Cotts saying he doesn't have what it takes to be a good pitcher until he learns some control. I was informed that Cotts problem last year was mechanical and that he still had a great arm and was arguable the Sox best or second best pitching prospect at the time.

A year later. He's got 20 BB's in 40 innings. Not good unless you like pitchers giving up 5 BB's per 9 IP.

At least he's walking people at a lower rate then last season even though he still isn't pitching well.

But I'm still waiting for the 'good' Neal Cotts to show up. Until then we're stuck watching another pitching prospect struggle at the ML level while we're on the fringe of a pennant race. Swell.

Bob

Randar68
08-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Hell, Kelly Wunsch would be a blessing right about now. In fact, we should bring him up right now.
:whoflungpoo

Lip Man 1
08-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Perhaps Cotts is up here because the Sox have no one else worth a damn. (That's scary...)

But any club that has him and Adkins as part of the bullpen is not a contender...perhaps a pretender.

Lip

JB98
08-18-2004, 11:46 AM
jesus.

1) Duncan is on the DL, hasn't been healthy in 2+ months, but Charlotte has had nobody in the pen for a while.
2) Wunsch can't hit 85 mph when he was throwing 92 when healthy and effective in the past. He also hasn't pitched 20 innings all year and today is now august 18th.
3) Bajenaru only recently moved up from Birmingham and is nursing a strained groin muscle, and probably will be the rest of the year.

Haven't Munoz, Rauch, and Diaz's performances taught you people anything? being mediocre in AAA is a hell of a lott different that being serviceable in the majors. Diaz, Rauch, Cotts, and Munoz were absolutely dominating in aA or AAA before getting their chances. what makes anyon think guys like Stewart or these other guys can step in?

Pass the crack pipe.

I don't know whether these other guys can step in. However, I do know that Cotts, Jackson, et al., are not doing the job. We have absolutely nothing to lose by trying someone else. If feeling that way means I'm on crack, then I guess I'm on crack.

batmanZoSo
08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Perhaps Cotts is up here because the Sox have no one else worth a damn. (That's scary...)

But any club that has him and Adkins as part of the bullpen is not a contender...perhaps a pretender.

Lip
Now that I think about it, Jon Adkins and Cliff Politte are our second options out of the bullpen. Dear god...did you know about this? Two guys with almost no prior success to speak of in any level and certainly none here. How were we ever in first?