PDA

View Full Version : Crede Or Reed?

Jerome
08-17-2004, 11:50 PM
After reading the Seattle/Meche thread, I had an interesting thought. Would it have been a better trade for us to trade Olivo and Crede for Garcia or do what we did? What I'm basically saying is would you rather have Crede or Reed? I know Crede is playing like crap, but is Reed exactly tearing it up in the minors? Personally I would rather have Reed, but that's only because we were gonna lose Maggs and I'm a FOBB and believe that Reed's power would develop at the Cell, as long as he could get on base.

(Assume Olivo was going either way, and also assume that Seattle didn't want Joe Borchard. And please please please don't turn this into a KW vs BB thread.)

ondafarm
08-17-2004, 11:52 PM
I'd rather have kept Reed than Maggs let alone Crede.

Soxzilla
08-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Give me a break.

SoxFan76
08-18-2004, 12:07 AM
3rd baseman are harder to come by than RF. Crede is the man, KW made the right move. Folks, he's in his 2nd full year of action. Give the kid a break.

owensmouth
08-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Let this @#$%^% subject die. It's done, it's over. Give it up dammit

SoxxoS
08-18-2004, 12:23 AM
3rd baseman are harder to come by than RF. Crede is the man, KW made the right move. Folks, he's in his 2nd full year of action. Give the kid a break.
Why? He had some time in the minors...an awful long time as I recall. Some players just can't make it in the pros. It looks like Joe has the physical ability (except for that L-O-N-G swing) but he lacks big time in the mental department. The excuse list is running low.

California Sox
08-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Only because Borchard was not an option.

bc2k
08-18-2004, 12:35 AM
I wasn't around when this trade happened, so I've missed all the previous discussions on the subject. That said, Reed over Crede is a nobrainer. I understand the argument that quality 3b is harder to find than quality RF, but what one must remember is that CREDE IS NOT A QUALITY 3BMAN! The Sox themselves are still looking for a quality 3bman.

Crede lacks the physical and mental attributes to be an All-Star player. Instead of going into that, I'll leave you all with this: Is a .230 batting average really that hard to replace? Good night.

SoxFan76
08-18-2004, 12:52 AM
I wasn't around when this trade happened, so I've missed all the previous discussions on the subject. That said, Reed over Crede is a nobrainer. I understand the argument that quality 3b is harder to find than quality RF, but what one must remember is that CREDE IS NOT A QUALITY 3BMAN! The Sox themselves are still looking for a quality 3bman.

Crede lacks the physical and mental attributes to be an All-Star player. Instead of going into that, I'll leave you all with this: Is a .230 batting average really that hard to replace? Good night.
But he plays some great defense, and you can't deny that.

bc2k
08-18-2004, 01:24 AM
But he plays some great defense, and you can't deny that. I can deny that. When was the last time you saw crede barehand a roller? Last never was when i last saw him do that; he has way too much trouble with the inbetween hop; he refuses to use a different glove, preferring to let 4+ balls stick in his glove in a week's time; loves to risk the third out of the inning by throwing to second base for the force instead of making the safe play at first b/c he is too nervous of throwing the ball away; takes too long in his windup when throwing to first base; lets rollers up the line continue to roll, hoping they roll foul (even on the infield where he plays 81 games a year) all b/c he knows he has no barehand in his repertoire, so instead of embarrassing himself, he'll pretend he thought it was going foul; not tagging out a baserunner who made a baserunning mistake by running RIGHT AT Crede with less than two outs after fielding a routine ground ball in the most important game of the year against the division rivals. So yes, I can deny Crede is a "great" defender.

He will catch what is hit at him, has an above average arm (though i've explained how he misuses it), and he seems to be able to deliver a sacrifice fly and a token home run in his home state when the Sox play in Kaufmann Stadium.

BigEdWalsh
08-18-2004, 09:46 AM
I guess at the time the trade was made, the right decision was made. Now, since we're NOT making the playoffs, if I were KW and could make the trade over again, it woulda been Crede, not Reed. However, what's done is done. Let's just hope next season it ain't Crede playing 3rd, but someone who hopefully can actually hit well for more than 1 month in a season.

ChiSoxBobette
08-18-2004, 10:13 AM
After reading the Seattle/Meche thread, I had an interesting thought. Would it have been a better trade for us to trade Olivo and Crede for Garcia or do what we did? What I'm basically saying is would you rather have Crede or Reed? I know Crede is playing like crap, but is Reed exactly tearing it up in the minors? Personally I would rather have Reed, but that's only because we were gonna lose Maggs and I'm a FOBB and believe that Reed's power would develop at the Cell, as long as he could get on base.

(Assume Olivo was going either way, and also assume that Seattle didn't want Joe Borchard. And please please please don't turn this into a KW vs BB thread.)
Tell you what I voted for Crede but I would have liked to have kept Olivo and traded Crede & Reed(perferably I'd have loved to send the M's Crede & Borchard)

pudge
08-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I bigger question to me is, why was Borchard not an option? Because KW loves him and his long swing, or because the M's didn't want him?

Foulke29
08-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone notice how a guy named Adrian Beltre is doing this year? Crede could still get there guys.

ma_deuce
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
If Crede left, then we would have to keep Valentin next year and leave Uribe at third. So, the answer was obvious: Reed.

Deuce

MisterB
08-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Anyone notice how a guy named Adrian Beltre is doing this year? Crede could still get there guys.No comparison. Beltre is 25. He was good enough to hit the majors at age 19 and has 6+ years of ML experience. Crede is a year older, has 2 years ML experience and frankly can't tell his rear end from a hole in the ground right now.

Crede is not Beltre. Or Ventura. He's lucky if he's Greg Norton right now.

balke
08-18-2004, 03:27 PM
I would've loved to see Borchard get traded before we ever saw him in a big league uniform, and to hear the Sox board explode with rage.

Crede does suck this year, you've convinced me. I don't want Reed back though.

I think Crede will do better next year. He'll never be rolen, blalock, Huff, or Mora. But He'll be a 3B that will hit better than .250 next year (.260-.275 is probably the most realistic #). He will hit 20+ Hr this year and next. And he will play good Defense over at third.

IF you would've traded Konerko after his slump, gotten a bag of balls for him, and seen his #'s this year, you'd feel like a jackass. Same thing will happen with Joe. He slumped LARGe. He was hitting .190-somethin at the break. Like Pauly did last year, he's slowly raising his average in the second half, and playing better ball.

I really don't think it's much of a stretch to think Crede can hit 30+ long balls, with 20+ 2B to go with em. I think it's foolish to dump him, but the #'s say different, so we'll see what Kenny wants to do.

We'll need a good infield if we have good pitching.

JRIG
08-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Like Pauly did last year, he's slowly raising his average in the second half, and playing better ball.

Ummm...Crede has been much, much, much worse since the All-Star Break:

Pre: .241/.297/.432

Can we not hear the argument that Crede is a second-half player again? Maybe he's just a no-half player.

habibharu
08-18-2004, 03:46 PM
I would've loved to see Borchard get traded before we ever saw him in a big league uniform, and to hear the Sox board explode with rage.

Crede does suck this year, you've convinced me. I don't want Reed back though.

I think Crede will do better next year. He'll never be rolen, blalock, Huff, or Mora. But He'll be a 3B that will hit better than .250 next year (.260-.275 is probably the most realistic #). He will hit 20+ Hr this year and next. And he will play good Defense over at third.

IF you would've traded Konerko after his slump, gotten a bag of balls for him, and seen his #'s this year, you'd feel like a jackass. Same thing will happen with Joe. He slumped LARGe. He was hitting .190-somethin at the break. Like Pauly did last year, he's slowly raising his average in the second half, and playing better ball.

I really don't think it's much of a stretch to think Crede can hit 30+ long balls, with 20+ 2B to go with em. I think it's foolish to dump him, but the #'s say different, so we'll see what Kenny wants to do.

We'll need a good infield if we have good pitching.konerko has had good yrs before. crede hasnt. he has had one good half

balke
08-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Ummm...Crede has been much, much, much worse since the All-Star Break:

Pre: .241/.297/.432

Can we not hear the argument that Crede is a second-half player again? Maybe he's just a no-half player.where am I getting stats from... oi. you're right, he just sucks.... and he's sucked when we've needed him to be good. .198 july .192 august? sick

Soxzilla
08-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah crede was hitting like, .368 during the month of june. He has hit for crap since.

Does he have a hit in the month of august yet?

habibharu
08-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah crede was hitting like, .368 during the month of june. He has hit for crap since.

Does he have a hit in the month of august yet? look at these unbelievable montly splits: .184 in May, .198 in july, .136 in August! what the hell is wrong with this guy!!:angry: :angry:

JRIG
08-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Does he have a hit in the month of august yet?
Sadly, so far August has been Crede's 2nd best month this season. Seriously.

habibharu
08-18-2004, 03:55 PM
i found an even more RIDICULOUS split: in june credes OPS was...... yes, a solid .495! whats bonds, like 5 or 6 times that?