PDA

View Full Version : Now Manuel wants Defense!

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 11:56 PM
I could of swore he said he could live with the bad defense because you can score in the AL.

From the Trib:
Manuel sets his sights on 2002
Manager wants better defense, consistent offense

NEW YORK - No matter what happens in the final five games, the White Sox can go into the off-season satisfied that they bounced back from an early-season knockdown.

But manager Jerry Manuel warned the Sox they can't rest on their second-half success.

"Ending up one way might get you a false sense of security," Manuel said. "Even though we ended up somewhat good, it might not take us to the next level."

The Yankees are obviously already at that level, as they proved again Tuesday in a 6-4 victory over the Sox.

Dan Wright (5-3) carried a 4-3 lead into the fifth inning before giving up three straight singles, including a game-tying hit to Bernie Williams. After walking Tino Martinez to load the bases, Wright was replaced by Alan Embree, who served up a go-ahead sacrifice fly to Jorge Posada.

The Yankees added an insurance run off Josh Fogg in the eighth. Then Mariano Rivera struck out the side in the ninth for his 48th save.

Manuel on Tuesday addressed the future of some Sox players and said he fully expects both Carlos Lee and Ray Durham to improve defensively in 2002.

Manuel also said Durham should use a bigger glove next year, joking that "it might be a glove the size of Manhattan."

If the Sox are to go to that next level, Manuel said the offense must show consistency from start to finish.

That includes Royce Clayton, the enigmatic shortstop who trailed only Bret Boone among American League hitters in September with a .392 average, the best month of his career. On May 29, Clayton's average dipped to .099.

"We didn't know Royce was going to hit .104 the first month and a half," Manuel said. "But if Frank Thomas and Magglio [Ordonez], [Paul] Konerko, Ray and Jose [Valentin] were all hitting, we wouldn't be that concerned with what Royce or Sandy Alomar was hitting."

Which Clayton should the Sox expect to see if he returns?

"Defensively, he has done it all year," Manuel said. "Offensively, his history shows that he has some prolonged lapses, and if they happen at the wrong time, you can really suffer."

Last year, Clayton hit 14 home runs and drove in 39 runs in his first 80 games with Texas, but was homerless with only 15 RBIs in his last 68 games.

In '99, Clayton hit .245 in the first half and .323 in the second half.

GASHWOUND
10-03-2001, 07:44 AM
Jerry is out of his damn mind. He doesn't care if he's last in the AL in defense, now he wants good defense. Than he enstills us with wisdom that only Manuel the BooB can give. The lineup needs to hit consistently. No kidding!?
And only if you didn't keep on playing HarOLD and Rameriz the lineup wouldn't have been so terrible. Geez, give me a break..

Pete Ward
10-03-2001, 08:20 AM
All he's asking for is his piss poor LF to pick up his game, and his 2B who seems asleep to wake up and be the player he can be.

Jerry knows he's stuck with a less than average defense and is asking them to pick up their effort.

The Sox will live and die with their run production and the hope the young pitching matures enough to be respectable.

:hamms

MikeKreevich
10-03-2001, 09:23 AM
:ray

My glove may be small but my diamond earing is large.

I will awake from my slumber next year and lead the Sox to the promised land. If they don't trade my lazy ass first, that is.