PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's first AA outing...

Randar68
08-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Heading to the top of the 4th inning, he's thrown 3 IP, 6 K's, 2 HBP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 R.

2-0 B'ham heading to the 4th.

idseer
08-17-2004, 09:28 PM
any updates?

princek
08-17-2004, 11:35 PM
6 ip , 5 hits , 4 er, 2 bb , 7 k

SoxxoS
08-18-2004, 12:20 AM
This guy sucks.

California Sox
08-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Looks like a positive outing. He allowed the first three guys on base to start the seventh, they took him out and Meaux couldn't get anyone out so the four runs given up is a little deceiving. Big night for Anderson and Spidale as well. :smile:

Rex Hudler
08-18-2004, 01:58 AM
McCarthy was just okay in his AA debut. He flashed signs of potential dominance yet looked quite ordinary at times. He throws a lot of strikes, yet he walked two and hit two batters. His fastball was in the 90-92 range and has good movement. His curveball has excellent bite, but he left it up in the zone a few times. It breaks hard and late, so he can throw it for strikes even if he leaves it up, but veteran hitters will pound that. He won't be able to keep that up and live to tell about it at higher levels.

Carolina had some veteran hitters (Billy Hall, Jeff Inglin, Chip Ambres, Ryan Minor, Josh Willingham) and a good prospect in Jason Stokes. He wasn't going to get away with throwing fastballs by those hitters all night. I think hitting two batters actually helped him for a few innings. By the 5th, he was getting hit hard, even when getting outs. Carolina hit three balls that would have been HR's in most any park in the league other than Birmingham. Two were flyouts with the fielder's back to the wall and the third was a double. On one of them, Brandon dropped his head and didn't even look back to see it, knowing it was a home run.... only to look back at the last minute after seeing the reaction of the dugout. He looked back just in time to watch Anderson haul it in with his back to the 405 sign.

I guess my point is that you could see a lot of positives, but his command within the strike zone was less than stellar. The veteran hitters were not intimidated and hit him hard often, even though they weren't all hits. He'll need to improve on that outing.

He is very Black Jack-like. Tall, lanky and lots of knees and elbows. I am looking forward to catching his next start at home. He will have had a start or two on the road by then. Hopefully he will have learned AA hitters are a bit different than A ballers.

Fungo
08-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Baseball America's Daily Dish for August 20th has a nice story on BMac.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/2004dish.html

JackParkman
08-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Baseball America's Daily Dish for August 20th has a nice story on BMac.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/2004dish.html
Also, just below a positive report about Ray Liotta.

Are they remaking "Field of Dreams" in Great Falls? White Sox lefthander Ray Liotta pitched six innings of three-hit, one-run ball, striking out eight, to improve to 4-1 with a Pioneer League-leading 2.64 ERA. Liotta is not related to the actor of the same name who portrayed infamous White Sox outfielder "Shoeless" Joe Jackson in Kevin Costner's 1989 hit film.

Gutter23
08-21-2004, 12:19 PM
McCarthy was just okay in his AA debut. He flashed signs of potential dominance yet looked quite ordinary at times. He throws a lot of strikes, yet he walked two and hit two batters. His fastball was in the 90-92 range and has good movement. His curveball has excellent bite, but he left it up in the zone a few times. It breaks hard and late, so he can throw it for strikes even if he leaves it up, but veteran hitters will pound that. He won't be able to keep that up and live to tell about it at higher levels.

Carolina had some veteran hitters (Billy Hall, Jeff Inglin, Chip Ambres, Ryan Minor, Josh Willingham) and a good prospect in Jason Stokes. He wasn't going to get away with throwing fastballs by those hitters all night. I think hitting two batters actually helped him for a few innings. By the 5th, he was getting hit hard, even when getting outs. Carolina hit three balls that would have been HR's in most any park in the league other than Birmingham. Two were flyouts with the fielder's back to the wall and the third was a double. On one of them, Brandon dropped his head and didn't even look back to see it, knowing it was a home run.... only to look back at the last minute after seeing the reaction of the dugout. He looked back just in time to watch Anderson haul it in with his back to the 405 sign.

I guess my point is that you could see a lot of positives, but his command within the strike zone was less than stellar. The veteran hitters were not intimidated and hit him hard often, even though they weren't all hits. He'll need to improve on that outing.

He is very Black Jack-like. Tall, lanky and lots of knees and elbows. I am looking forward to catching his next start at home. He will have had a start or two on the road by then. Hopefully he will have learned AA hitters are a bit different than A ballers.I disagree that MacCarthy just had an okay outing, you have to consider the circumstances surrounding his first AA start. Brandon is now a celebrity in the minor leagues, so I think nerves played a major role in his command of the strike zone. Also, he must now adjust to new hitters in new ballparks. I agree that his outing could have been much better, but with all things considered I think he did a good job (He gave his team a chance to win). So, before we all get disappointed with one start that he has, remember that baseball is not a sprint it is a marathon and we can not judge someone on one start. Let Brandon get 3 or 4 starts under his belt in AA then we can see where he stands.

Rex Hudler
08-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I disagree that MacCarthy just had an okay outing, you have to consider the circumstances surrounding his first AA start. Brandon is now a celebrity in the minor leagues, so I think nerves played a major role in his command of the strike zone. Also, he must now adjust to new hitters in new ballparks. I agree that his outing could have been much better, but with all things considered I think he did a good job (He gave his team a chance to win). So, before we all get disappointed with one start that he has, remember that baseball is not a sprint it is a marathon and we can not judge someone on one start. Let Brandon get 3 or 4 starts under his belt in AA then we can see where he stands.No one judged anyone on one start. And no one is down on him. The fact is plain and simple. He showed promise but was just okay in his first start. I was there, I saw it. That performance was decent but not good.

I'm sure he was nervous and that's to be expected. He was adjusting to new hitters in new ballparks in Winston-Salem as well, so that doesn't make much difference. The difference is that he will now have to adjust to better hitters. My post was concerning one outing and the adjustments he will need to make to be successful. No one is questioning his ability to make those adjustments.

I do expect him to be better in Huntsville on Sunday as long as he keeps the ball in the park. It is a seven inning game and Huntsville is not nearly as good of a hitting team as Carolina. He'll have to keep Gwynn and Weeks off base and not make mistakes to Fielder and Nelson. The rest of their lineup is very suspect.