PDA

View Full Version : White Sox interest in Nomar before the trade with the Cubs

otis
08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
I finally talked to my Boston guy about the White Sox interest in Nomar prior to the trade deadline. He said there were serious discussions, but nothing on the day of the deadline. Supposedly KW was offering Valentin & Loaiza for Nomar the week before the deadline which Boston was considering. This was contingent upon the White Sox acquiring another pitcher in a three team deal with Borchard as the bait. Boston thought the Sox were going after Benson at the time, but in hindsight they now think the Sox were trying to get Contreras. Anyway, some folks within the Boston organization were concerned about Jose's defense and were in the process of evaluating the offensive pros versus the defensive cons. After the last game against the Twins, (2 costly Valentin errors and a caught stealing) Boston decided they couldn't sacrifice shortstop defense and ended thoughts of trading Nomar. The White Sox asked again on the morning of the 31st about trading Nomar and were told they weren't trading him. Supposedly the Cubs thing came out of nowhere with the Red Sox panicking in deciding to trade him at the last minute.

habibharu
08-17-2004, 02:02 PM
wow, interesting. that would of been a steal for the sox! ELO and manos for nomar! damn, too bad.

JDP
08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
wow, interesting. that would of been a steal for the sox! ELO and manos for nomar! damn, too bad.
I'd be, and am, much happier w/ Contreras in the rotation for this year and beyond than a 1/3 of a season of Nomar. *shrugs*

hawkeyesrule
08-17-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out. I think that would have been overpaying by a long shot for a couple months of Nomar. Who knows who they would have tried to plug in as a starter at that point!

Flight #24
08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty happy with the way it worked out. I think that would have been overpaying by a long shot for a couple months of Nomar. Who knows who they would have tried to plug in as a starter at that point!
Wow. I like KW's guts though - shooting for Contreras+Nomar in a Borchard/Valentin/ELo combo would have been absolutely sweet. Not sure how the Borchard-Contreras part would have worked, but you gotta love the concept. Swapping Jose for Nomar would have been huge for this team.

samram
08-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Wow. I like KW's guts though - shooting for Contreras+Nomar in a Borchard/Valentin/ELo combo would have been absolutely sweet. Not sure how the Borchard-Contreras part would have worked, but you gotta love the concept. Swapping Jose for Nomar would have been huge for this team.
Yeah, it would have been. As for how Borchard could have fit, the only thing I can think of would be the Yanks ending up with Randy Johnson and sending Borchard, Navarro, other prospects down there. I can't think of any other player the Yanks really wanted, and if they were dealing Contreras, they had to want another starting pitcher.

Foulke You
08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Valentin is a hell of a lot better than Cabrerra in my opinion. With "Pesky's RF Pole" at Fenway, I could see Valentin's HRs increasing in that park. The Red Sox got shafted in that trade. Nomar should yield you more than a .200 hitting SS and a light hitting solid glove 1B (Doug Mienkievicz) It sounds like it was a total panic move by the BoSox.

pudge
08-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Valentin is a hell of a lot better than Cabrerra in my opinion. With "Pesky's RF Pole" at Fenway, I could see Valentin's HRs increasing in that park. The Red Sox got shafted in that trade. Nomar should yield you more than a .200 hitting SS and a light hitting solid glove 1B (Doug Mienkievicz) It sounds like it was a total panic move by the BoSox.
No kidding, the Red Sox got played and the Cubs made out like bandits.

WSox8404
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
No kidding, the Red Sox got played and the Cubs made out like bandits.
I just wonder if the Cubs are going to sign him. If not, I would love to see the Sox make a run at signing him.

Hangar18
08-17-2004, 03:12 PM
YUP.........this was a panic move on the RedSox part. Basically, despite whiny Nomar saying he was hurt, The Bosox shouldve just kept him and let him run
at the end of the year, and gotten themselves a #1 pick for losing him.
Dummies. At least we were in the running ........

SoxxoS
08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks again Otis. Will be looking forward to your posts in the offseason. Nothing better than talking about a rumor that might actually happen on these boards.

Actually nevermind, I like reading the "how about Borchard and Crede for Pujols" rumors...