PDA

View Full Version : Sox Must win 2 of 3

AddisonStSox
08-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Looking down the road a little bit, but not too far, it seems that if the Sox were going to gaine some serious ground in the Divison race it will have to start this series against the Tigers. I hate being a scoreboard watcher because I feel the Sox should worry about winning their own games first and foremost, however, looking at the tough schedules up ahead for both the Twins and Tribe, one cannot help but feel a little comforted. The Twins have to face the Yankees at the worst possible time, followed by the Tribe. The Tribe has to deal with the Rangers in Arllington, not an easy task, followed by some games with the Twins and Yankees. Clearly the Sox remaining schedule is no walk in the park, but a series win against the Tigers would set us up in a great position to be serious contenders in the Divison race once again.

8/17 Maroth 9-7, 4.37 ERA v. Garcia 6-2, 3.63 ERA w/ Sox :bandance:

8/18 Bonderman 6-9, 5.81 ERA v. Contreras 2-0, 3.15 ERA w/ Sox :bandance:

8/19 Wilfredo "Frickin" Ledezma 2-0, 2.53 ERA v. Garland 8-8. 4.69 ERA :(:

Mickster
08-17-2004, 11:39 AM
8/17 Maroth 9-7, 4.37 ERA v. Garcia 6-2, 3.63 ERA w/ Sox :bandance:
Maroth is 4-0 with a 2.68 ERA since the AS break. Hold of on the dancing 'nana until the game is over tomorrow night.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Maroth is 4-0 with a 2.68 ERA since the AS break. Hold of on the dancing 'nana until the game is over tomorrow night.Agreed Mickster. If the Sox batters come off the off-day with several tortured and ineffective rounds of at-bats against this baby Glavine clone, Freddy will have to pitch a helluva good game tonight.

AddisonStSox
08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
No one said its gonna be an easy series. The Tigers always bring it when they face the Sox, but if you want to win a Division race, it starts with beating the teams worse than you, and I have found no way to justify saying the Tigers are a better team than our boys minus Frank and Maggs.

JB98
08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Agreed Mickster. If the Sox batters come off the off-day with several tortured and ineffective rounds of at-bats against this baby Glavine clone, Freddy will have to pitch a helluva good game tonight.
I'd be stunned if we score more than three runs off Maroth. He's on a hot streak, and we can't hit even the worst of left-handers (ahem, Brian Anderson and Darrell May). The only good news is Freddy is going tonight, and there's always a chance he can outduel the opposing pitcher in a low-scoring game. We might need some late-inning magic to win this one. The Detroit bullpen is nothing special.

gosox63
08-17-2004, 12:29 PM
I'd be stunned if we score more than three runs off Maroth. He's on a hot streak, and we can't hit even the worst of left-handers (ahem, Brian Anderson and Darrell May). The only good news is Freddy is going tonight, and there's always a chance he can outduel the opposing pitcher in a low-scoring game. We might need some late-inning magic to win this one. The Detroit bullpen is nothing special.
I think your wrong again

kittle42
08-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I think your wrong again
Or you're, if you prefer.

balke
08-17-2004, 01:23 PM
I just got a good feeling about this series, just a second ago. I still think Sox need to worry about one game at a time. We as fans can hope for a huge win streak, but what we really need is consistant 600-700 ball, with higher peaks than valleys. One game at a time. Tonight's game looks pretty favorable to the Sox. But Tiggers are tough, you never know.

JB98
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
I just got a good feeling about this series, just a second ago. I still think Sox need to worry about one game at a time. We as fans can hope for a huge win streak, but what we really need is consistant 600-700 ball, with higher peaks than valleys. One game at a time. Tonight's game looks pretty favorable to the Sox. But Tiggers are tough, you never know.

600-700 ball? That remark should be in deep pink. We aren't the Cardinals or the Braves.

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way out just might not be enough. This would give us 89-90 victories (depending on how you round 2 out of 3 x 46 games), and I don't think that will be enough to win the division or the WC. These guys need to get on a bit of a hot streak ala the Tribe, and win 9 of 10 or so.

SMO
:gulp:

pudge
08-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way out just might not be enough. This would give us 89-90 victories (depending on how you round 2 out of 3 x 46 games), and I don't think that will be enough to win the division or the WC. These guys need to get on a bit of a hot streak ala the Tribe, and win 9 of 10 or so.

SMO
:gulp:
That pretty much sums up why this team is cooked. Let's not fool ourselves.

JB98
08-18-2004, 12:04 AM
That pretty much sums up why this team is cooked. Let's not fool ourselves.
Reality check: We're 13-19 since the All-Star break. We haven't had a winning month since May. I can't really expect to take two out of every three knowing these facts.

With each new day, the fan in me hopes the next game is the start of a 7-game winning streak. Then, the game starts; I snap back to reality and realize that we just aren't a particularly good baseball team. We're good enough to hang around in a weak division, but that's about it.

Blueprint1
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Reality check: We're 13-19 since the All-Star break. We haven't had a winning month since May. I can't really expect to take two out of every three knowing these facts.

With each new day, the fan in me hopes the next game is the start of a 7-game winning streak. Then, the game starts; I snap back to reality and realize that we just aren't a particularly good baseball team. We're good enough to hang around in a weak division, but that's about it.
this is how i feel every day. You are right.

NonetheLoaiza
08-18-2004, 02:29 AM
i want to believe, but i cant.

samram
08-18-2004, 08:09 AM

Well said. Last night finally convinced me for good that it's not happening. It's hard to win a lot of games in a row when you know the bullpen will blow at least one game, if not two or three, a week. You can't expect your starters to go eight innings every night. Well, at least now I'll stop being angry about Sox losses and look ahead to what should be an interesting off-season.

mcfish
08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
You know the team has gotten pretty sad when there isn't even an official post game thread. I count this as 4 times they've tried to come back from large deficits and failed (NY, MON, CLE, DET). Every time, the offense would score almost enough, but the bullpen just kept giving up more runs every time. Just barely coming up short isn't going to cut it in the standings. But hey, at least the Twins have that tough schedule. They should be losing their second game to the Yankees in just a few hours.

voodoochile
08-18-2004, 10:47 AM
You know the team has gotten pretty sad when there isn't even an official post game thread. I count this as 4 times they've tried to come back from large deficits and failed (NY, MON, KC, DET). Every time, the offense would score almost enough, but the bullpen just kept giving up more runs every time. Just barely coming up short isn't going to cut it in the standings. But hey, at least the Twins have that tough schedule. They should be losing their second game to the Yankees in just a few hours.
Whoops... I guess everyone assumed someone else would do it. Feel free to start one when you see there isn't one...

mcfish
08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Whoops... I guess everyone assumed someone else would do it. Feel free to start one when you see there isn't one...Ah, no one wanted their name attatched to it, huh? I see now.

It's pretty obvious no one wanted to discuss the game at length anyway, so I'll just read the game day thread. (I was playing Walleyball last night instead of watching the game, and look what happens.)

balke
08-18-2004, 03:33 PM
600-700 ball? That remark should be in deep pink. We aren't the Cardinals or the Braves.
I"m talking about a good stretch, not all season. that's what it'll take if we want to get in. I think that's about as likely to hope for as a 12 game win streak or 11 out of 12 like everyone else is hoping for.

They gotta pull within 3 games by beginning september if they want a real shot, that's the way I see it.