View Full Version : Buehrle yesterday 5K's

whtsx1959
08-16-2004, 07:40 PM
No one yet has mentioned how Buehrle bounced back after the shaky first

in the second and through two outs in the third all of the outs we K's

with only one runner getting on base

samram
08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
What was really encouraging was that he was able to continue to pitch well on three days rest even after throwing 59 pitches thru 2 innings. He could have really tired after the second and we could have seen Cotts or Adkins for a long time. He just seems like a guy who would be so great to have on a postseason roster because he could easily pitch three games in a seven game series.

PorkChopExpress
08-16-2004, 07:59 PM
Not to be a pain, but I do not know that we can say Buehrle was "shaky" in the first. The umpire was shaky. He was totally screwing Buehrle on the balls and strikes. That being said, that is something our pitchers sometimes cannot overcome, and Buehrle performed marvelously doing just that. He held strong and just kept going. He is definitely the leader of that staff. Now if the rest of the guys would just follow the leader...

bluestar
08-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Not to be a pain, but I do not know that we can say Buehrle was "shaky" in the first. The umpire was shaky. He was totally screwing Buehrle on the balls and strikes. That being said, that is something our pitchers sometimes cannot overcome, and Buehrle performed marvelously doing just that. He held strong and just kept going. He is definitely the leader of that staff. Now if the rest of the guys would just follow the leader...
Yes! I don't know what the deal was with the umpire in the first inning. Even the NESN announcers commented that Buehrle was getting a raw deal on the calls. A couple of times, Buehrle threw it right down the middle of the plate, and it was still called a ball.

I get frustrated when some of our pitchers -- Garland in particular -- will see that a certain pitch is not going to be called a strike, but they still insist on throwing to that spot. That wasn't the case with Mark yesterday in the first. He was trying different spots, but the umpire refused to call anything a strike.

I know part of the game is adjusting to what the umpire's strike zone is, but it seems like it is too inconsistent these days.