PDA

View Full Version : "The Wave"

maurice
08-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Some posters have indicated that baseball fans should not initiate "the wave" during the seventh inning of a tied baseball game. What do you think?

anewman35
08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Some posters have indicated that baseball fans should not initiate "the wave" during the seventh inning of a tied baseball game. What do you think?
Anybody who would do the wave at almost any time is evil. But a person who would do the wave in the 7th inning of a tied game is not a baseball fan. If standing up is more interesting than the game on the field, I'd rather you not be there. Sit down and watch the damn game.

doublem23
08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
The Wave is annoying, even in a 7th inning blowout. However, it is not wholly innappropriate, as it is when the game is tied in the 7th.

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Anybody who would do the wave at almost any time is evil..
Now there's the (fascist) spirit!

:bandance:

batmanZoSo
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I've been not more than two or three sections from the origin on multiple occasions this year. Each time I try to stop it with a couple of middle fingers. My efforts were fruitless.

StepsInSC
08-16-2004, 08:20 PM
I think anyone trying to dictate what other fans should or shouldn't be doing at a game when their actions are relatively harmless is a lot more harmful of a thing than any child trying to start a wave because he thinks it looks cool.

anewman35
08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I think anyone trying to dictate what other fans should or shouldn't be doing at a game when their actions are relatively harmless is a lot more harmful of a thing than any child trying to start a wave because he thinks it looks cool.
People have every right to start the wave. I have every right to hate them intensely if they do.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
No. Neither are harmful. But only one makes the entire fanbase look like morons. And grown men start waves, not children.

StepsInSC
08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
No. Neither are harmful. But only one makes the entire fanbase look like morons. And grown men start waves, not children.
I've been not more than two or three sections from the origin on multiple occasions this year. Each time I try to stop it with a couple of middle fingers. My efforts were fruitless.
If I were with my kids at a game I would find you waving your middle fingers around a lot more harmful than some idiot trying to start a wave.

At all the games I've been to in my lifetime (in Atlanta + Pittsburgh only) I've seen mainly children starting them or parents of children helping them. That I don't have a problem with.

While an adult starting it for no reason would annoy me, I don't see the point in jumping down his throat.

chisox06
08-16-2004, 08:38 PM
well if people want to start a wave thats fine with me, it doesn't mean that you have to go along with it. You paid your money just like everyone else, you can choose to watch the game or you can choose to stand out of your chair and do the wave. Now I would hope that White Sox fans have enough passion for the game that something as stupid as that wouldnt occur at all, especially during a tight game. The more I see Red Sox fans the more I see how there related to cubbie fans, morons.

anewman35
08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
well if people want to start a wave thats fine with me, it doesn't mean that you have to go along with it. You paid your money just like everyone else, you can choose to watch the game or you can choose to stand out of your chair and do the wave.
Hard to watch the game when there are rows of people in front of you standing.

DumpJerry
08-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Cub fans do the Wave. Need I say more?

I noticed they were doing it at Fenway this weekend...looked moronic.

duke of dorwood
08-16-2004, 10:06 PM
And they also did it a Lambeau Field tonight-that also speaks volumes

JB98
08-16-2004, 10:10 PM

During the last half-price Monday game vs. the Tribe, I sat in the bleachers and struggled to see the action during the top of the eighth inning because an idiot in a Cubs hat was three rows in front of me trying to start the wave. Unfortunately, despite my flipping him off and calling him every name in the book, he did not relent and eventually succeeded. He was preventing me from watching the game with his refusal to sit down, and I was not at all pleased.

I would be in favor of getting rid of half-price nights. I know the discounts put people in the seats, but we get too many Cubs fans, casual fans and other drunks ruining the experience for those of us who love the Sox and just want to watch the damn game. I'll pay regular price for a ticket. That bothers me less than some of the people who show up at the park on those days.

TornLabrum
08-16-2004, 10:29 PM
I object to it because I'm sitting there trying to watch the damn game when a group of fans stands up and blocks my vision.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
wave is stupid. but if it makes some people happy let them do it. i'm completely against it when it goes aroud more than 2ice

SOXPHILE
08-16-2004, 11:13 PM
The Wave is stupid. Try paying attention to the game instead. Yes, those dopes have every right to try and do it, just like I have every right to not do it, and try to discourage them from doing it too. What I really hate is when people in your section are trying to get the wave going, and they stand in front of you, yelling "COME ON ! WE'RE STARTING THE WAVE ! COME ON !" and they get really annoying and obnxious about it if no one's doing it. Luckily, from what I've seen, most people ignore them, boo them or just yell stuff like "SIT THE HELL DOWN, WE'RE TRYING TO WATCH THE GAME !" Wave = Bad

voodoochile
08-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Where's the choice for "An evil, sick, horrible, bad, vile and stupid thing"?

I know... I know... I COULD edit it, but bad is already handily trouncing good, so why mess with the truth?:supernana:

MRKARNO
08-17-2004, 12:39 AM
I was sickened last week when at TWO games in a row (Monday and Tuesday), the wave was successfully started. I detest it so much that I get distracted from the action because I want to see it fail so badly! It's absolutely terrible and any true baseball fan would never participate in the wave because you came to watch a game, no matter the score, not to watch the crowd stand up at various points.

Parrothead
08-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Old style ? Where is that sold. I have never seen it there.

SOXSINCE'70
08-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Anybody who would do the wave at almost any time is evil. But a person who would do the wave in the 7th inning of a tied game is not a baseball fan. If standing up is more interesting than the game on the field, I'd rather you not be there. Sit down and watch the damn game.

"The Wave" is something sCrUBbie fans do out of boredom.No real White Sox fan would be caught dead doing "The Wave".If you do it where I sit,in left field,my partner and I are liable to scream out "Down in front!" or "Sit your ass down and watch the damn game!".:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SSN721
Ugh, just the thought of the wave sickens me. And since I pay my ticket price as well as the idiots that start it I can think of them as idiots and I have every right to deteset their actions. It is distracting, and horrible and awful and I just cant come up with enough words for it. You want to start it, fine, just remember that standing up in front of fans who also paid for their seats have equal right to tell you their displeasure with your actions when you stand up in front of them.

jabrch
Go to the beer vendor behind home plate. Turn to your right. Walk 8.1 miles north. They sell Old Style there.

John Barrett
08-17-2004, 10:23 AM
you can get it at the import stand

spiffie
08-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I was at last Monday's game which was already a mind-numbing experience, when they started the wave. Much like an earlier post said, my response is generally a couple of upthrust birds with a hearty "STFD" yelled out for good measure. When I think of places that do the wave, I think of nowhere that any Sox fan would generally admit to wanting to go to...like that bad place on the other side of town.

That said, the Monday night wave would have been tolerable had Diaz somehow been drowned in it.

Jerko
08-17-2004, 10:51 AM
I love when everybody says "they paid for a ticket, they can do what they want". Well, that is true to an extent. They paid for a ticket to SIT in a seat, so sit your ass down. If the wave wasn't happening, could I just go to my seat and stand there in front of people? No. I'd be asked to sit down. No difference IMO. I KNOW security can't "make" everyone sit down all the time, but the wave is nothing more than an annoyance no matter what the fans who start it paid for. Now if there were a hottie with a killer ass in the seat in front of me, well, I still don't like the wave but if I can't see the game I may as well have something to look at. :bandance: And I never see the wave on the "other" side of town; that's just a bunch of drunks and/or old ladies trying to stand up, but they keep stumbling and falling due to booze or old age so it just looks like the wave.

Dick Allen
08-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Plain and simple, you go to the game to watch a game. If you're interested in doing the wave, STAY THE HELL HOME!!!! Annoy your own families, not the rest of us.

Orta 4-6-3
08-17-2004, 12:10 PM
I HATE the wave. It is not only stupid and mindless, "Look at me!", but also passe. You never saw the wave at the old park. It enrages me anytime they start it, but if it is late in during a blowout, I can bite my tounge. There is absolutely NO exuse for the wave during a close game.
:angry:

WSox8404
08-17-2004, 12:15 PM
I guess I am in the minority here but I like the wave. I don't know why, but I just do. I mean I still watch the game and everything, but its just something about it. Its about ALL of the fans having fun. That is what it is all about.

TornLabrum
08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I guess I am in the minority here but I like the wave. I don't know why, but I just do. I mean I still watch the game and everything, but its just something about it. Its about ALL of the fans having fun. That is what it is all about.
So what you're saying is you can't have fun just watching a ball game? Stay home and let me watch the game.

alohafri
08-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I think it's bad enough when I have to suffer through the wave at Sox Park. But then I saw it on TV----at THE PGA TOURNAMENT last weekend! Yes, the people watching the golf tourney started doing the wave! I could not believe it.

Then again, watching golf (live, even) would be so boring that I probably would welcome the wave.:redneck

---Mrs. Aloha

Blob
08-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't like it because people pay more attention to that than the game. Same as the "races" and such on the scoreboard.

But, it does keep other people coming out and we need their money too!