PDA

View Full Version : sox should sign simon

habibharu
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
randall simon just got released and i beleive that it would be beneficial for the sox to sign them. They wouldnt have to give up any prospects and he provides a pretty decent left handed stick. thoughts? http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/m...s_pit&fext=.jsp (http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/pit/news/pit_news.jsp?ymd=20040815&content_id=828461&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp)

JRIG
08-16-2004, 03:37 PM
My initial thought is we don't need any more left-handed hitters. We need right-handed hitters. Have you seen our lineups vs. LHP?

habibharu
08-16-2004, 03:39 PM
My initial thought is we don't need any more left-handed hitters. We need right-handed hitters. Have you seen our lineups vs. LHP?yeah, but id rather have a guy like simon than gload or borchard batting!

bafiarocks03
08-16-2004, 03:43 PM
how about no!

Brian26
08-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Um, no.

Aidan
08-16-2004, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind signing him, as long as Carl Everett could get 100% healthy and play RF a bit. Simon is a career .285 hitter and hit extremely well for the Cubs down the stretch last season, dare I say it. He has no speed but he is a great singles hitter with some pop in his bat. Although, we may be better to go with a more small ball lineup with Willie and/or Timo.

sendimjoey
08-16-2004, 04:26 PM
A slow singles hitter? That's like a basketball player who can't run or jump.

No. Maybe the Brewers could use him?

whitesoxwilkes
08-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Any idea why the Pirates dropped him? He's young and cheap...pretty much their MO the past few seasons.

Edit: I see now he was hitting .194.

hold2dibber
08-16-2004, 04:44 PM
yeah, but id rather have a guy like simon than gload or borchard batting!
I'd much rather see Borchard starting every game in RF from here to the end of the year - the organization needs to get a better sense of what he can do at this level and the time to find out is now. No thanks to Simon.

JB98
08-16-2004, 05:03 PM
yeah, but id rather have a guy like simon than gload or borchard batting!

I'd rather have Gload than Simon. Who cares about the past? I'm only looking at what a guy has done this year, and Simon got released for a good reason. Don't we have enough free swingers?

As for Borchard, he only starts against LHP anyway. Even if you sign Simon, he wouldn't be able to replace Borchard in the lineup against LHP, so what's the use? I think we need a right-handed stick that can play RF.

More importantly, we need a RHP for the bullpen.

mcfish
08-16-2004, 05:03 PM
No Sausage Beaters please.

Foulke You
08-16-2004, 06:09 PM
No Sausage Beaters please.
LOL!:)

We don't need Simon. Simon is a free swinging lefty who K's a lot, is hitting .194 this year, and has no speed. We'd be better off playing Gload every day.

mcfish
08-16-2004, 06:17 PM

We don't need Simon. Simon is a free swinging lefty who K's a lot, is hitting .194 this year, and has no speed. We'd be better off playing Gload every day.I thought last year he never K'd? That's all I heard watching the Braves lose and Marlins win in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. I thought his MO was that he was good at getting contact at least. I guess that the Fox announcers were wrong.

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 06:19 PM
My initial thought is we don't need any more left-handed hitters. We need right-handed hitters. Have you seen our lineups vs. LHP?Yeah don't we have something like 6 automatic outs against southpaws? Too right-handed my behind!

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 06:22 PM
I thought last year he never K'd? That's all I heard watching the Braves lose and Marlins win in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. I thought his MO was that he was good at getting contact at least. I guess that the Fox announcers were wrong.No, he is pretty good if you have a man at 3rd, 1 out facing a RH down by a run in the 8th inning. In the playoffs.

But anything more than clutch PH? Then no way - Jurassik cannot play the field anymore and Paulie has a stanglehold on 1B.

StepsInSC
08-16-2004, 06:24 PM

We don't need Simon. Simon is a free swinging lefty who K's a lot, is hitting .194 this year, and has no speed. We'd be better off playing Gload every day.
You're right we don't need him, but you're wrong that he K's a lot, he hardly ever strikes out. Up until this year he could hit for a decent average, but he has blown hard this season.

Plus, for as slow as he is, he doesn't have enough power to keep the bases unclogged.