PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a run

pczarapa
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Twins next 3 games against the Yankees
Indians next 3 games against the Texas

We've got Detroit for the next 3 games, maybe we can make up some ground and only be back a game when it's all said and done.

Erik The Red
08-16-2004, 02:31 PM
If we have to face a pitcher-we-haven't-seen-before, we're toast.

balke
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Maybe Hopefully, we're struggling through these Tiger games though.

34 Inch Stick
08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Even if you pick up one game during the week, you know you will pick up another over the weekend when the go head to head. It would be an absolutely wonderfull time to sweep Detroit. I think this thing is going to get very interesting.

balke
08-16-2004, 02:44 PM
White sox gotta do it slowly but surely. We keep sneaking up on teams in div. & wild card, and teams slowly slip. Sox just gotta play one game at a time, stop feeling the pressure.

LASOXFAN
08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
They really are a team on the brink. Had they lost Sunday that would have been HUGE. That's the kind of game they've been losing for the last three weeks. Now they win that kind of game and take 2 of 3 from one of the better teams in the league. Turning point? Could be. Maybe it was just these last three games but I felt like I was watching a different team. Seemed like something had changed. I would be very surprised if they weren't competetive in all three games against Deadrot.

But keep in mind, the kittens just played Anaheim tough for three games. They're not going to lay down.

soxtalker
08-16-2004, 03:04 PM
I'd like to see a run -- one direction or the other -- in the next week. It may sound like heresy to wish for a run on the downside. However, if we can't strongly get back in it, I wish that we'd drop far enough out that we can trade players like Valentin before the August 31 deadline. Continuing to sit at 4 or 5 games out doesn't really allow them to dump players, yet it makes it tough to beat out both Cleveland and Minnesota.

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Twins next 3 games against the Yankees
Indians next 3 games against the Texas

We've got Detroit for the next 3 games, maybe we can make up some ground and only be back a game when it's all said and done.A sweep is a must.

By that I mean, Sox have to bring their 'A' game (see: Yankee series in September '03). If that happens, they'll have a chance at the sweep.

If they can't win at least 2, then frankly they don't deserve ALC no matter how poorly Twins and Toons play.

Hopefully Kenny is working on a couple of big waiver acquisions on this off-day. I am sick of Timo and Crede, Sandy and Borchard. No more Jackson, either. Please.

owensmouth
08-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I'd like to see a run -- one direction or the other -- in the next week. It may sound like heresy to wish for a run on the downside. However, if we can't strongly get back in it, I wish that we'd drop far enough out that we can trade players like Valentin before the August 31 deadline. Continuing to sit at 4 or 5 games out doesn't really allow them to dump players, yet it makes it tough to beat out both Cleveland and Minnesota.
What August 31st deadline?

minastirith67
08-16-2004, 06:56 PM
:whistle:

Well, duh. If we're gonna have any chance at all, we've gotta win the majority of our games and hope that Minnesota and Cleveland falter. It's really that simple.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Even if you pick up one game during the week, you know you will pick up another over the weekend when the go head to head. It would be an absolutely wonderfull time to sweep Detroit. I think this thing is going to get very interesting.
They gotta get hot to win this thing. God, doesn't every team have a streak in them? Even Tampa Bay won 10 in a row. At one point we need to win 6 or 7 in a row. This team has been excruciatingly consistent at being just "decent." 2/3, 1/3, 2/3 = 5-4. You gotta go 6-3, 7-2 sometimes. We have yet to get on a roll and maybe that's the one hope we have left. Or of course it could be there's a reason we haven't gotten on a roll. But again I allude to Tampa Bay.

chisox06
08-16-2004, 07:26 PM
They gotta get hot to win this thing. God, doesn't every team have a streak in them? Even Tampa Bay won 10 in a row. At one point we need to win 6 or 7 in a row. This team has been excruciatingly consistent at being just "decent." 2/3, 1/3, 2/3 = 5-4. You gotta go 6-3, 7-2 sometimes. We have yet to get on a roll and maybe that's the one hope we have left. Or of course it could be there's a reason we haven't gotten on a roll. But again I allude to Tampa Bay.
I think with a 4 man rotation thats possible. When you lose every 5th game its hard to get a nice streak going. Of course bullpen efficiency is going to be at an all time high, and that could set us back as well.

OzzieBall2004
08-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I think the fact that Minny and Cleveland play each other 10 more times benefits us as well....Every time I get excited after a showing like this weekend, they let me down again, and if that happens again in this series against the tiggers and the bosox, well i'm throwing in the towel...

samram
08-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Heck, Pittsburgh won 9 in a row. You're right that the Sox need a hot streak where they win 11 out of 12 or something, because now that Minnesota has struggled, you know they'll get hot again soon. Cleveland may be due for a little slump after being so hot for two weeks. Not to mention, Cleveland has a pretty rough schedule the rest of the way. However, if the Sox go 11-9 over the next 20 games, that really isn't going to be good enough.

rwcescato
08-16-2004, 10:13 PM
A sweep is a must.

By that I mean, Sox have to bring their 'A' game (see: Yankee series in September '03). If that happens, they'll have a chance at the sweep.

If they can't win at least 2, then frankly they don't deserve ALC no matter how poorly Twins and Toons play.

Hopefully Kenny is working on a couple of big waiver acquisions on this off-day. I am sick of Timo and Crede, Sandy and Borchard. No more Jackson, either. Please.
Now is the time to make a run. We play 27 games in a row with teams that we can and must beat. They talk about days off being momentum killers.
While everyone else has days off we don't. A great roll now could put us right back in 1st. We are tied with the Tribe in the loss column and 3 games back of the twins in the loss column. Also for those flub fans they too have only 3 games on us in that column. This is what catapulted the twins past us last year and from what it looks like. They don't think we exist anymore. Lets get to that 4 man rotation and storm through.
GO SOX !!!!
Rich

voodoochile
08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
I started to read that other thread about impressions of the BoSox series thinking it might be talking about what people's impressions of the way the Sox played was. Obviously, it was the wrong thread, so this one will have to do...

I agree, now is the time and honestly, the Sox look to be a team that is finally over the mental and emotional problems that go with the type of hit they took when they lost Maggs and Frank.

Who knows where this is leading, and I'm still not jumping up and down about the chances, but we aren't dead yet...:cool:

Foulke29
08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Had they lost Sunday that would have been HUGE.
OR - if we had been able to win on Saturday ---

MRKARNO
08-16-2004, 11:45 PM
OR - if we had been able to win on Saturday ---
Oh quit whining. A lot of good teams have come into Boston and left with only one win. We were lucky enough to manage two, which has only happened three other times this year. That was the closest the Red Sox have been to getting swept all year.