PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie suspended 2 games

Jjav829
08-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Ozzie got 2 games for his spat with an umpire last Monday. I'd like to know if the umpire was reprimanded. Tough call as to when to serve the two games. It might be best for him to serve it starting tomorrow and get it out of the way against the Tigers.

habibharu
08-16-2004, 02:27 PM
thats complete bull****! the ump should be suspended for telling oz that he doesnt know what he is doing!

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
:angry:

Didn't this ump tell Ozzie that he doesnt know what he is doing?

And only Ozzie is getting suspended?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Uck The Fump!:angry: :angry:

mcfish
08-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Is there a link/more information? Like why he would be suspended? Managers get tossed all the time without suspension. Was it because he came back out again after starting back to the dugout?

2 games seems stiff to me. Hawkins only got 3, and he was ready to punch the ump in the face over a three year old incident.

The way the suspension rules go, he won't have to serve them for 3 months or until it's beneficial to the team anyway, so I guess it's no big deal.

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
I hope they plan to appeal.

kittle42
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Now who's gonna pinch-hit Joe Borchard in a pressure situation?

CWWTWS1
08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Umpires have become FAR MORE confrontational in the last 5 years. It's past the point of ridiculous. You can't tell the ump off if they blow a call because they will in turn get in your face and than it gets real ugly. Umpires are allowed to tell the players/managers to go F themselves, but players/managers are not allowed to say it back.

There used to be a time where a player/manager could state his case without being ridiculed by the umps, not so anymore.

bigfoot
08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Well, you gotta figure it had a little to do with the, '..you wouldn't make a pimple on you old man's ass...' comment. Not that Hunter Wendlestat isn't an infected sweat gland upon his father's posterior, but Ozzie might have lost something in the translation.

What's the appeal process is this case? If it's anything like the KWood situation, Ozzie may be serving this suspension during Spring training 2006.

Kogs35
08-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I hope they plan to appeal.i dont think managers can appeal but please stuff sandy aldersons email box with complaints.

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2004, 02:55 PM
i dont think managers can appeal but please stuff bob watson email box with complaints.
Does anyone know where we can e-mail him?

bigfoot
08-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Does anyone know where we can e-mail him?
it would have to be.... bobwatson'sboil@mlb.com (bobwatson'sboil@mlb.com)

No it's not real! It's teal!

Tekijawa
08-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Maybe we can pull a Cubs and Zambrano type suspension and have ozzie serve them on Rain out days?

BarbG
08-16-2004, 03:46 PM
How nauseating.

Never mind the fact that the ump totally blew the call; wasn't in the right position to even make the call in the first place - wasn't DOING HIS JOB...AT ALL...

Ozzie has no right to get PO'd at that.

So long as they have their priorities straight.

bluestar
08-16-2004, 04:21 PM
I suspect the suspension may have had something to do with the fact that Ozzie bumped the brim of Wendelstadt's cap with the brim of his own cap when Ozzie was all up in Wendelstadt's face. I haven't read that anywhere, but I wondered when it happened if the league would have something to say about it. I know Wendelstadt pointed at the brim of his cap immediately after it happened and said something.

sendimjoey
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
i dont think managers can appeal but please stuff sandy aldersons email box with complaints.
That's right, because I remember hearing that Dusty Baker had to serve his two-game suspension from that Reds game in April immediately. There is no appeal for managers.

It probably didn't help that Guillen let on what he told Wendelstedt he was in relation to his father. I didn't understand why Guillen got thrown out to begin with, so I don't blame Ozzie for coming back out and giving the guy as much grief as he could. Remember when Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman got tossed from the Sunday game when the Tigers were in town? I thought Alan Trammell was at least as obnoxious as Guillen was, probably more, and he delayed the game a lot longer since he didn't signal for a reliever until he was done arguing.

Blob
08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
I suspect the suspension may have had something to do with the fact that Ozzie bumped the brim of Wendelstadt's cap with the brim of his own cap when Ozzie was all up in Wendelstadt's face. I haven't read that anywhere, but I wondered when it happened if the league would have something to say about it. I know Wendelstadt pointed at the brim of his cap immediately after it happened and said something.
Wow, freakin' WOW. I can't believe it suspended for two games for hitting the brim of a hat...

SomebodyToldMe
08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Now who's gonna pinch-hit Joe Borchard in a pressure situation?
THAT'S what Ozzie deserves to be suspended for.

Vsahajpal
08-16-2004, 11:55 PM
More BS from the worst umpiring crew in the league. Timmons and Froemming absolutely suck.

MRKARNO
08-17-2004, 12:02 AM
More BS from the worst umpiring crew in the league. Timmons and Froemming absolutely suck.
I've seen more bad calls from this crew than any other crew in baseball. That call on the thing that got the Padres back in that 5-4 game the other day with the Cubs was a real bad call. Wendelstedt is an idiot and if he said "You don't know what you're doing" to Ozzie, that is entirely unprofessional. Froemming miscalled the Crede home run last year that would have been a game changer. Froemming is the worst. Most other crews I dont have a problem with, but this entire crew should be fired.

he_gone_89
08-17-2004, 12:09 AM
time for the worst "backup" manager in baseball to step in

http://www.thebaseballpage.com/images/players/baines_5457.jpg

Harold "leave him in" Baines

nasox
08-17-2004, 01:56 AM
Umpires have become FAR MORE confrontational in the last 5 years. It's past the point of ridiculous. You can't tell the ump off if they blow a call because they will in turn get in your face and than it gets real ugly. Umpires are allowed to tell the players/managers to go F themselves, but players/managers are not allowed to say it back.

There used to be a time where a player/manager could state his case without being ridiculed by the umps, not so anymore.

Yes, but can you imagine seeing selig doing something about it? No way in hell

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Wow, freakin' WOW. I can't believe it suspended for two games for hitting the brim of a hat...
IIRC, contact with the ump, no matter how inadvertant, will get you an automtic suspension, and there is no appeal by managers. Maybe it's a good thing that Ozzie will serve it vs. the Tiggers.

SMO