PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of the Boston Series

maurice
08-16-2004, 01:32 PM
It was nice to see the Sox win a road series against a quality opponent, while the Twinks continue their slide. We desperately needed some sign that the fat lady has yet to sing.

To echo a comment that came up on some of the post-game threads, Red Sox fans = cubs fans. With all due respect to "fenway" and the "Sons of Sam Horn," some cub fans are knowledgeable too. Unfortunately, the vast majority are just there for the Urinal "experience" and have no clue what's happening on the field.

The crowd at Fenway this weekend was indistinguishable from the cubbie faithful. The primary examples that come to mind are:
- loud cheers for weak fly balls hit by Boston players
- loud cheers when Ramirez caught a routine fly ball to left . . . that scored a runner from third, giving the Sox the lead
- multiple instances of a full-park multi-lap wave in two different tied ballgames
To top it off, the frequent cubbie / Red Sox World Series whining is well-publicized.

While there certainly are plenty of idiots at the Cell on any given weekend, it seems like they're in the minority. The dopes in the bleachers try to start the wave during blowouts, but it gets shouted down. It certainly never makes it through the season ticket holders behind home plate. Seeing several multi-lap waves at Fenway was really disappointing.

SoxFan76
08-16-2004, 02:03 PM
It was nice to see the Sox win a road series against a quality opponent, while the Twinks continue their slide. We desperately needed some sign that the fat lady has yet to sing.

To echo a comment that came up on some of the post-game threads, Red Sox fans = cubs fans. With all due respect to "fenway" and the "Sons of Sam Horn," some cub fans are knowledgeable too. Unfortunately, the vast majority are just there for the Urinal "experience" and have no clue what's happening on the field.

The crowd at Fenway this weekend was indistinguishable from the cubbie faithful. The primary examples that come to mind are:
- loud cheers when Ramirez caught a routine fly ball to left . . . that scored a runner from third, giving the Sox the lead
- multiple instances of a full-park multi-lap wave in two different tied ballgames
To top it off, the frequent cubbie / Red Sox World Series whining is well-publicized.

While there certainly are plenty of idiots at the Cell on any given weekend, it seems like they're in the minority. The dopes in the bleachers try to start the wave during blowouts, but it gets shouted down. It certainly never makes it through the season ticket holders behind home plate. Seeing several multi-lap waves at Fenway was really disappointing.
It's interesting that you say this, because there is a whole other thread saying how great the fans are. But from what I saw on TV, I'd have to agree with you. It was almost like watching a Cub game. Every fly ball, the place erupted. The place went nuts for the sac fly as well, like you said. And there were SEVERAL instances of the wave going on. Fenway, you are a great guy, but from what I saw on TV, the fans seemed just like Cub fans.

mcfish
08-16-2004, 02:23 PM

While there certainly are plenty of idiots at the Cell on any given weekend, it seems like they're in the minority. The dopes in the bleachers try to start the wave during blowouts, but it gets shouted down. It certainly never makes it through the season ticket holders behind home plate. Seeing several multi-lap waves at Fenway was really disappointing.I didn't see it on TV, because I was there, but the Red Sox fans are NOTHING like Cubs fans, and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying so. First of all, what the hell is wrong with the wave? I'm not going to start it or anything, but who cares if the fans in another city are doing it? Why does that make them lesser sports fans? Last two times I was at The Cell (Monday and Tuesday against KC) there were waves on both nights that made multiple laps around the park.

Second, from where I was sitting, there were several "weak fly balls" that looked like they might go further than they did. Does that make me a bad fan because I wasn't able to immediately judge the ball off the bat? I've seen this happen at the Cell on numerous occasions as well. Hell, Carlos Lee does it regularly.

I don't remember the sac fly - maybe you were hearing the large Chicago contingent. There were a lot of us there - I was surprised by that actually.

On the whole, the Boston fans were very knowledgable and very friendly. They were very much into the game and pay attention to every pitch. They know how to have a good time at a game. They may have been a little narrow minded in relation to their Red Sox only mindset, but they knew how to watch a game and they were nothing like Cubs fans.

DoggPhood
08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Actually, when we got spanked by the Angels last month, 9-0, the entire stadium did the wave and it went all the way around 3 or 4 times.

maurice
08-16-2004, 03:08 PM
First of all, what the hell is wrong with the wave?In a TIED game?!? Well, the most obvious (except to you) problem is that the folks doing the wave clearly are NOT "very much into the game and pay[ing] attention to every pitch." You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking that doing repeated laps of the wave during two different TIED baseball games is okay.

An inability to judge the trajectory of a batted ball is typical of Harry, cubs fans and, until recently, Carlos Lee. It does, in fact, generally indicate a lack of knowledge of baseball or an unwillingness to pay attention. Soft fly balls hit by the home team are not cheered loudly at the Cell or, say, Busch Stadium unless it's a sac fly IN OUR FAVOR. Unfortunately, the opposite is true of the Urinal and Fenway.

Like I said, I'm not generalizing. There clearly are plenty of knowledgeable Red Sox fans (I named some of them and met others during a previous visit to Boston), just as there are plenty of knowledgeable cubs fans. It's also true that both groups of fans "know how to have a good time at a game," even when they're not paying attention. However, the lack of knowledge and attention displayed by thousands of Fenway faithful was surprising and disappointing. It showed them to be a lot closer to cub fans than Sox fans or Cards fans.

whtsx1959
08-16-2004, 03:24 PM
i was at both games where the wave started when it was tied

i am against the wave in that situation

but

i thought it was funny that the wave skipped the monster seats and went from the grandstand to the bleachers

bo sox fans are almost as dumb as cub fans

Jjav829
08-16-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know, maybe I tend to block it out more during Sox games, but I've seen/heard plenty of these things at Sox games. I've seen/heard plenty of fly balls at the Cell where fans acted as if the ball was gone, only to have it fall into the outfielders hands before the warning track. I think some people just have trouble judging the flight of the ball.

As for the sac fly to Manny, it seemed to me like it was more of a sense of shock. Shock that the ball didn't go further and shock that Manny actually caught it. That's just what I sensed though. It seemed kind of like a "Hey, he actually caught it! Alright!" type applause.

mcfish
08-16-2004, 05:22 PM
In a TIED game?!? Well, the most obvious (except to you) problem is that the folks doing the wave clearly are NOT "very much into the game and pay[ing] attention to every pitch." You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking that doing repeated laps of the wave during two different TIED baseball games is okay.

An inability to judge the trajectory of a batted ball is typical of Harry, cubs fans and, until recently, Carlos Lee. It does, in fact, generally indicate a lack of knowledge of baseball or an unwillingness to pay attention. Soft fly balls hit by the home team are not cheered loudly at the Cell or, say, Busch Stadium unless it's a sac fly IN OUR FAVOR. Unfortunately, the opposite is true of the Urinal and Fenway.

Like I said, I'm not generalizing. There clearly are plenty of knowledgeable Red Sox fans (I named some of them and met others during a previous visit to Boston), just as there are plenty of knowledgeable cubs fans. It's also true that both groups of fans "know how to have a good time at a game," even when they're not paying attention. However, the lack of knowledge and attention displayed by thousands of Fenway faithful was surprising and disappointing. It showed them to be a lot closer to cub fans than Sox fans or Cards fans.So what? You have to sit quitely and pay attention to every pitch, logging it's type, location, and speed in memory for future reference in order to be a good fan? I would think that one could watch a game and also stand up every 2 minutes with the rest of his section. It's not necessarily a mutually exclusive situation we're talking about here. And also, again, I have seen numerous waves at The Cell this year in a number of different game situations. Maybe Boston thinks that it's a good way to cheer the team and get their players into a tied game. Maybe that's one way they support their team in a close game. Seems better than the dead silence the White Sox get if they aren't hitting home runs. Fans are spectators, and baseball is entertainment. If it makes the game more fun for Boston fans if they do the wave, what is the problem with that? All I can tell you for sure is that I was at two games and at a bar for most of the third, and almost every Red Sox fan I saw was watching the game intently for the duration, except the 1 1/2 seconds it took them to do the wave.

maurice
08-16-2004, 06:12 PM
So what? You have to sit quitely and pay attention to every pitch
In a tied game? Yes, you do . . . unless you're just there for the groovy, retro Fenway atmosphere . . . or to make sure everybody can see your cub hat / Red Sox jersey combo on TV. That's the difference between fans of baseball and fans of Wrigley / Fenway.

I have seen numerous waves at The Cell this year in a number of different game situations.
. . . none of which were multi-lap waves IN A TIED GAME . . . let alone consecutive tied games.

Maybe Boston thinks that it's a good way to cheer the team and get their players into a tied game. Maybe that's one way they support their team in a close game.
Doing the wave is not cheering. Clapping your hands and yelling is cheering. Doing the wave is a long-established way for fans to entertain themselves when the game does not hold their interest. The players know this, and Sox fans know this. Wave-starting Red Sox fans probably know this also . . . they just don't care enough about the tied game to pay attention.

Fans are spectators, and baseball is entertainment. If it makes the game more fun for Boston fans if they do the wave, what is the problem with that?
Hey, if cubs fans and Red Sox fans want to pay extortionist prices to entertain each other at an outdoor bar and don't want to know about what's going on in the game, more power to them. Ignorance is bliss when you're a cub fan . . . or so I hear.

maurice
08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
It seemed kind of like a "Hey, he actually caught it! Alright!" type applause.
I got the same impression. The ball wasn't going anywhere. The batter lunged for a pitch outside, there was very little noise off the bat, and we were lucky it went as deep as it did.

Nonetheless, a baseball fan never cheers when the other team takes the lead. The cheering came from several thousand folks who didn't know there was a runner on third and less than two outs, didn't know the score, and/or didn't know what a sac fly is. IMHO, that's right up there with cub fans cheering a HR replay.

StepsInSC
08-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Newsflash people, if the White Sox were as popular as the Cubs or Red Sox, we would have a lot more baseball-unintelligent fans too. It makes perfect sense. There are only a limited number of diehard baseball fans in the world. The ones out there who are casual fans will tend to cheer for the more popular teams.

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 06:31 PM
In a TIED game?!? Well, the most obvious (except to you) problem is that the folks doing the wave clearly are NOT "very much into the game and pay[ing] attention to every pitch." You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking that doing repeated laps of the wave during two different TIED baseball games is okay. .Maybe you shouldn't be taking it upon yourself to tell others how to enjoy a baseball game/a night out.

You're just one of the 6+ billion people inhabiting this planet. Always remember that.

maurice
08-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Newsflash people, if the White Sox were as popular as the Cubs or Red Sox, we would have a lot more baseball-unintelligent fans too.
This is true. Lots of folks have made this point in the (thankfully) long-deceased attendance threads that used to be common here. Then again, the capacity of Fenway is only 34K-ish.

maurice
08-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Maybe you shouldn't be taking it upon yourself to tell others how to enjoy a baseball game/a night out.

You're just one of the 6+ billion people inhabiting this planet. Always remember that.
Right, I should tell them how to enjoy soccer instead, since the vast majority of the world's population (including most of the "fans" at the Urinal) don't give a crap about baseball.

It's hard to believe the GALL of some people . . . posting an opinion about a baseball game on a baseball message board!

BTW, nice job selectively editing my post to omit the part that reads:

Hey, if cubs fans and Red Sox fans want to pay extortionist prices to entertain each other at an outdoor bar and don't want to know about what's going on in the game, more power to them.

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Right, I should tell them how to enjoy soccer instead,

Maybe you should. Helluva game, futball is.

since the vast majority of the world's population (including most of the "fans" at the Urinal) don't give a crap about baseball.
You must have misunderstood the "6 billion" comment. It was a not-so-subtle way of telling you to get over yourself; people will care about and enjoy baseball as they please.

Me and my friends LURVE the wave....and I'll stack up my baseball knowledge/passion against yours ANY day.

It's hard to believe the GALL of some people . . . posting an opinion about a baseball game on a baseball message board!

Nice try.

Fenway
08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
First congrats on winning 2 out of 3. ( and I can't find the thread saying how much they enjoyed Fenway)

The "wave" drives us nuts but it seems to be here to stay.

Fans in sections 1 thru 8 tend to oo and ahh anything hit, but they have no idea where anything is going.

and we do sing Sweet Caroline well , where THAT came from who knows

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and please return.

mike squires
08-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Nice series to watch. I told my wife Friday night that this game was being managed like a playoff game...I swear only a few minutes later DJ echoed what I had said. It was cool to see.

SOXPHILE
08-16-2004, 10:38 PM
:boston "The series was an absolute tragedy. Losing two out of three to that other team from Chicago works against this years pre-destined World Series of Cubs vs Red Sox. And how dare that other team with the black hats put the word SOX on front. That desecrates the name of who the whole world knows who the real SOX are."

Palehose13
08-16-2004, 10:58 PM
The wave sucks.

inta
08-16-2004, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine was at the bosox/yanks game a few weeks ago when John Kerry showed up and got alot of boo's.

the problem is red sox games are very trendy like cubs games, every game is sold out, etc etc. the common fan can't get a ticket on weekends and the place is filled the non-hardcore, just rich people who will pay ebay/broker fee's without a second thought.

inta
08-16-2004, 11:05 PM
and we do sing Sweet Caroline well , where THAT came from who knows

LOL, are you serious?
that's just bizarre.

actually i went to some irish piano bar once years ago, and everyone was singing 'sweet caroline'....
kinda funny to see some croony neil diamond song turn into an irish drinking song.

maurice
08-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Me and my friends LURVE the wave....and I'll stack up my baseball knowledge/passion against yours ANY day.That's fine. You and the eight people who agree with you vs. everybody else on this site, including the Red Sox fan from Boston who posted in this thread. I'm not concerned.

:dtroll:

Fenway
08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
LOL, are you serious?
that's just bizarre.

actually i went to some irish piano bar once years ago, and everyone was singing 'sweet caroline'....
kinda funny to see some croony neil diamond song turn into an irish drinking song.
The Sweet Caroline sing along in the middle of the 8th is bizarre, I can not explain it

Oh, no, no

SoxFan76
08-18-2004, 08:57 PM
The Sweet Caroline sing along in the middle of the 8th is bizarre, I can not explain it

Oh, no, no

Fenway, you're a class act. It bothers me when people rip on Fenway and the fans because you have been so nice, but they have the right to do it. Plus, I'm totally against the wave as well:D: .