PDA

View Full Version : Stirrup socks?

inta
08-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know the deal with these?

I remember every player wore them over their regular socks, tucked beneath their pants (pants cut off at mid calf or so back then) in the 80's.

heck i remember having to wear these in little league even.
then they just disappeared.

what happened to them?

i know alot of players are starting to wear the shorter pants again with the high socks exposed... but still no stirrups...

http://i.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1977/1101770718_400.jpg

soxinthecity
08-16-2004, 09:06 AM
wondering also, seems like baseballs dress code is going the way of basketball with guy's like Coco Crisp with his cap on crooked others wearing uniforms about two sizes too big, their trying to put the hip hop look into the game and i for one think it needs to be stopped before it gets way out of hand.

Brian26
08-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Sometime in the late 90's, guys started wearing colored soccer-style socks in place of the white sanitary hose w/ colored stirrups.

I prefer the soccer-style sock look with pant legs higher. Looks really cool with a lot of the uniforms.

StockdaleForVeep
08-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Sometime in the late 90's, guys started wearing colored soccer-style socks in place of the white sanitary hose w/ colored stirrups.

I prefer the soccer-style sock look with pant legs higher. Looks really cool with a lot of the uniforms.

Anyone else agree that the oakland A's yellow socks looks like they missed the toliet goin to the bathroom?

StillMissOzzie
08-17-2004, 02:31 AM
wondering also, seems like baseballs dress code is going the way of basketball with guy's like Coco Crisp with his cap on crooked others wearing uniforms about two sizes too big, their trying to put the hip hop look into the game and i for one think it needs to be stopped before it gets way out of hand.
I agree with you, SITC. The NFL strictly enforces their uni code, and I wish MLB did the same. I also like the "high colored socks" look. Some players are ridiculous in the lengths they go to keep their pants down low:

* I read somewhere that Sosa punches little holes near the bottom of his pants and runs his shoelaces through the holes to hold his pants down

* Kyle Farnsworth looks like he hooks his pants hem to the spike on his heel, to show off his lean chiseled calves and thighs

SMO

Baby Fisk
08-17-2004, 11:49 AM
I agree with you, SITC. The NFL strictly enforces their uni code, and I wish MLB did the same. I also like the "high colored socks" look. Some players are ridiculous in the lengths they go to keep their pants down low:

* I read somewhere that Sosa punches little holes near the bottom of his pants and runs his shoelaces through the holes to hold his pants down

* Kyle Farnsworth looks like he hooks his pants hem to the spike on his heel, to show off his lean chiseled calves and thighs

SMO
I agree with both of you. Uniform "adaptations" have already gotten out of hand and there should be a code. I think it looks ridiculous that each team has 2 or 3 players with high socks, while the rest wear different variations of the no socks look. "UNIFORM" means everyone dresses uniformly, doesn't it?

robertks61
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Start a uniform code for College Football & Basketball also, looks like some of their mommies dressed them!

Blob
08-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Anyone else agree that the oakland A's yellow socks looks like they missed the toliet goin to the bathroom?
So do Alou's hands.

nitetrain8601
08-18-2004, 12:41 AM
I like the high socks. The stirups are ugly IMO. High socks are the way to go.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2004, 12:59 AM
I agree with both of you. Uniform "adaptations" have already gotten out of hand and there should be a code. I think it looks ridiculous that each team has 2 or 3 players with high socks, while the rest wear different variations of the no socks look. "UNIFORM" means everyone dresses uniformly, doesn't it?The odd thing is, there does seem to some kind of a uniformity code, but for some reason it doesn't apply to the uniform pants.

Remember the year all the teams retired Jackie Robinson's number? Deion Sanders was with Cincinnati then, and he started wearing his jersey sleeves about three inches long as a tribute to the ultra-short (but not sleeveless) look that Jackie had. He was quickly told he could not do that unless everyone on the Reds did it. They all had to have the same sleeve length.

Now, if the sleeve length has to be uniform, the obvious question arises...

soxnut
08-18-2004, 10:59 AM
I love the stirrup look. That's baseball. The colored socks for the Sox are stupid---unless they are white. Imagine that, a team called the White sox weraring white socks. Sure you may not think it looks as good, but that's the team name. Our team wears black socks and is still called the White Sox--just one of the many reasons this organization is looked at as a joke.:angry:

Blueprint1
08-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I love the stirrup look. That's baseball. The colored socks for the Sox are stupid---unless they are white. Imagine that, a team called the White sox weraring white socks. Sure you may not think it looks as good, but that's the team name. Our team wears black socks and is still called the White Sox--just one of the many reasons this organization is looked at as a joke.:angry:
That is one of the reasons the sox are looked at as a joke??? Was that a joke???

PatK
08-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree that people that wear their hats crooked a la Coco Crisp look like complete idiots. It makes me want to slap the living you know what out of them.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of kids starting to wear their hats like that. They don't look cute- they look stupid. I was glad when the coach of my future stepson's team said that he wouldn't allow it.

And as far as stirrups go, I like them. I used to wear them as a kid, and can't remember exactly when they fell out of fashion. I think it may have been around the late 80's when players started wearing hi-tops and 3/4 top shoes, because sometimes they looked really bad with the stirrup socks.

I tell the kids about stirrup socks and how everyone wore them, and they look at me like I'm on drugs.

soxnut
08-18-2004, 12:37 PM
That is one of the reasons the sox are looked at as a joke??? Was that a joke???
Hey I was having a bad morning.

daveeym
08-18-2004, 02:37 PM
I love the look of stirrups (and you'll still run across a couple guys that wear them in the league, can't think of any names) but they sucked to wear. they'd sag, slip out of your shoe, stretch out much quicker than socks and were an all around pain in the ass. The stitched in stirrups just didn't look right either.