PDA

View Full Version : Mad Props for Chi Sox fans.....

MUsoxfan
08-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Myself and what seems like thousands of other White Sox fans traveled out to Boston for this weekend's games. While I initially thought I'd be one of maybe dozens, the White Sox fans did a great job representing the team this weekend at Fenway Park. I was told at one point there was even a "Let's go White Sox" chant from a section that was nearly half White Sox fans on Friday night. From my experience Red Sox fans are an exceptionally classy group that seemed to enjoy having us in town. It was fun....and it appears we do travel well to other ballparks.

petekat
08-16-2004, 02:29 AM
great job- a good sign that RedSox nation showed their respect. having lived in boston for 2 yrs- made it out to Fenway quite a bit- theyve earned their reputation as the most knowledgable (and most uptight) fans around. have many red sox fan friends

owensmouth
08-16-2004, 02:30 AM
I know that I was at first surprised to hear a bunch of determined White Sox fans over the Red Sox broadcasts. I was wondering who might be there at Fenway, cheering on the Good Sox in the home of the Dirty Sox.

Soxzilla
08-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Yeah, but didn't you guys get tired of the extremely loud cheers when those bosox would hit measely pop ups that the home crowd thought were homers?:wink:

WhiteSoxFan84
08-16-2004, 03:13 AM
that ballpark is beyond small. if i was a major leaguer i'd love to play in boston and at home i'd hit .375 with 20 HRs, on the road i'd prolly hit .109 with no extra base hits.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2004, 10:33 AM
A co-worker (not a friend, i can't stand the dude) went to beantown for a game last year. He reported that bostonians are really stuck up and sort of cold and detached.

Though i think it was him, because he's a jerk

mcfish
08-16-2004, 11:36 AM
A co-worker (not a friend, i can't stand the dude) went to beantown for a game last year. He reported that bostonians are really stuck up and sort of cold and detached.

Though i think it was him, because he's a jerkI went with Musoxfan and that's just not the case. Sure some of them would give us a hard time sometimes, but that is to be expected. They are more than willing to have conversations with you, and they seemed to appreciate having someone there to answer questions about who the opposing players were - especially warming up in the bullpen. One annoying thing was that some Bostonians had the impression that all of Chicago was a Flub fan.

I was a little worried before I went that Fenway would remind me of the urinal, but it's just not the case. Fenway is awesome - it doesn't smell like piss, they don't sell Old Style, there are people there for reasons other than simply talking on their phone, etc. Seats were a little close together, but hey, the place is 90 years old. The Green Monster is impressive to look at. The park is small to left, but it's giant to right. And in left, it's big, but you have to hit it high - anything off the wall can easily just be a single. The best evidence of the park being big enough is that Paulie has hit a home run in every other park in the AL besides Fenway.

Foulke You
08-16-2004, 12:54 PM
I went with Musoxfan and that's just not the case. Sure some of them would give us a hard time sometimes, but that is to be expected. They are more than willing to have conversations with you, and they seemed to appreciate having someone there to answer questions about who the opposing players were - especially warming up in the bullpen. One annoying thing was that some Bostonians had the impression that all of Chicago was a Flub fan.

I was a little worried before I went that Fenway would remind me of the urinal, but it's just not the case. Fenway is awesome - it doesn't smell like piss, they don't sell Old Style, there are people there for reasons other than simply talking on their phone, etc. Seats were a little close together, but hey, the place is 90 years old. The Green Monster is impressive to look at. The park is small to left, but it's giant to right. And in left, it's big, but you have to hit it high - anything off the wall can easily just be a single. The best evidence of the park being big enough is that Paulie has hit a home run in every other park in the AL besides Fenway.
You pretty much summed up my impression of Red Sox fans and Fenway. I went to Fenway for the White Sox series in '02 and '03 and I had a great time there. Fenway is head and shoulders above Wrigley in atmosphere, ambience, and especially fans. There is a myth among some WSI posters here that Fenway is "Wrigley East" with the same kind of moron frat boy/yuppy fans. I can assure you (I know MCfish can back me up here) that Red Sox fans are certainly NOT like Cub fans. I had many intelligent baseball conversation with people around me which is a sheer impossibility at Wrigley. Most of the fans were well behaved and unlike Wrigley, the fans were into the game and watching every pitch. There was some good natured ribbing here and there which is to be expected when you are wearing visitors colors in a ballpark like Fenway but nobody threw anything at me or screamed in my face like a certain team on the North Side's fans.

If I had a critique of Red Sox Nation, it is that they are very east coast centric. Their knowledge of baseball is good but they are extremely focused on their little corner of MLB and their huge rivalry with the Yankees. For example, last year there were some Boston fans I talked to that were unaware that former Red Sox closer, Flash Gordon was on the White Sox. They were then able to tell you everything you wanted to know about Gordon, including what pitches he threw and what he did in Boston but they couldn't tell you how he arrived in Chicago and what he was doing for us because the White Sox are only in the Red Sox universe for 6 games a year and therefore not of interest. I also spoke with several Red Sox fans who were unaware of our huge rivalry/hatred with the Cubs and many were surprised that we hated them as much as they hate the Yanks. Of course, I've spoken with many non-Chicagoans, not just Bostonians, that have either never heard of or don't understand the inter-city rivarly of Cubs/Sox. Admittedly, my sample size was limited to six games at Fenway over a two year period so I know I'm painting with Mariotti-esque broad strokes about Red Sox Nation. I'm sure not all Red Sox fans are east coast centric like this but the ones I talked to seemed to be.

alohafri
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I noticed while watching the game yesterday that there was some loser wearing a scrub hat in the park.

--Mrs. Aloha

JoseCanseco6969
08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
I noticed while watching the game yesterday that there was some loser wearing a scrub hat in the park.

--Mrs. Aloha
I noticed that too, it was pissing me off cause you could see him during every pitch.

skobabe8
08-16-2004, 02:39 PM

--Mrs. AlohaI noticed that too. I wonder who he was cheering for? :smile:

I really wish I would have gone to The Fen this year. It sounded like a great time with lots of right sox fans in attendance. Hopefully I'll be able to get to 1 more away series this year, either detroit or texas.

kjhanson
08-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I was at Friday and Saturday's game and have to offer a few comments. First off, there were a ton of White Sox fans there and it was great. I was there with my two youger cousins and they were by far the two most vocal guys there. In fact, an older Boston fan sitting in front of us had to move seats because he was having problems with his hearing aid and how loud we were.

The section we sat in on Friday was right next to a group of about 20 white sox fans. Together we were able to get the "jose" chant going when he came to bat. Our let's go WHITE SOX drowned out the RED SOX. And after Rowand hit his second homer we had the "jose" chant going with "rowand" replacing Jose. Definitely a great atmosphere considering the win.

I have a few choice words about Red Sox fans which I will not say at this point.

However, I'm continuing my 5 Sox games in 7 days tomorrow and Wednesday and so far i'm 2-1, so hopefully we can make it 4-1.

P.S.-- have not been to Petco, but the Phillies new stadium is by far the best one I've been to. I was there Monday and they did a wonderful job.

skobabe8
08-16-2004, 02:44 PM
I was at Friday and Saturday's game and have to offer a few comments. First off, there were a ton of White Sox fans there and it was great. I was there with my two youger cousins and they were by far the two most vocal guys there. In fact, an older Boston fan sitting in front of us had to move seats because he was having problems with his hearing aid and how loud we were.

The section we sat in on Friday was right next to a group of about 20 white sox fans. Together we were able to get the "jose" chant going when he came to bat. Our let's go WHITE SOX drowned out the RED SOX. And after Rowand hit his second homer we had the "jose" chant going with "rowand" replacing Jose. Definitely a great atmosphere considering the win.

I have a few choice words about Red Sox fans which I will not say at this point.

However, I'm continuing my 5 Sox games in 7 days tomorrow and Wednesday and so far i'm 2-1, so hopefully we can make it 4-1.

P.S.-- have not been to Petco, but the Phillies new stadium is by far the best one I've been to. I was there Monday and they did a wonderful job.
Awesome! Any pictures?

jcirish85
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM

P.S.-- have not been to Petco, but the Phillies new stadium is by far the best one I've been to. I was there Monday and they did a wonderful job.I was sittting there too. I was in section 21 and they were in 22. When i watched the replay on TV, you could hears their Jose chant. I went to all 3 games and it was alot of fun. One thing I was impressed with was that everyone was at the game on time. The last game, I got to in the bottom of the 1st and I was one of the last ppl there. I sat in the players family section which is fun, but you have to watch what you say. For instance, when Youkilis comes up, the crowd all yell YOUK and the 2nd game I said That Youk thing is really stupid and then about 10 minutes later my dad starts talking to the people in front of us and theyre Youkilis' brothers. Friday night, the gload's sat a few seats down from us. theyre so loud and they take it really seriously when he plays. He grounded out and everyone in their family looks really angry then, almost to the point of tears. It was alot of fun though and I recomend going to Fenway if you ever get a chance.

Erik The Red
08-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Of course, I've spoken with many non-Chicagoans, not just Bostonians, that have either never heard of or don't understand the inter-city rivarly of Cubs/Sox. Sorry for being such a grammar nazi, but inter-city would mean "between 2 cities".

Yanks/Carmines = inter-city rivalry
White Sox/Cubs = intra-city rivalry

JohnBasedowYoda
08-16-2004, 03:28 PM
I went with Musoxfan and that's just not the case. Sure some of them would give us a hard time sometimes, but that is to be expected. They are more than willing to have conversations with you, and they seemed to appreciate having someone there to answer questions about who the opposing players were - especially warming up in the bullpen. One annoying thing was that some Bostonians had the impression that all of Chicago was a Flub fan.

my bad, he was refering to all of boston, not just fans at fenway

FoulkeFan
08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I think was in the group of about 20 Sox fans on Friday night! We had the Jose song going pretty good there for a while:) The Red Sox fans in our area were great - and some of our group was a little obnoxious! We were behind home plate, but only about 3 or 4 rows from the top. Fenway was fantastic - makes Wrigley look like even more of a hole if you ask me. I couldn't believe how many
Sox fans were there.

Boston is a great city - it's perfect for a weekend road trip! I had a terrific time - and the Sox won 2 out of 3. What could be better!

Foulke You
08-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Sorry for being such a grammar nazi, but inter-city would mean "between 2 cities".

Yanks/Carmines = inter-city rivalry
White Sox/Cubs = intra-city rivalry
You are correct, you are a grammar nazi.:rolleyes: However, your correction has been noted in my memory banks for future discussion involving our INTRA-city rivalry with the White Sox and the Cubs.:cool:

whtsx1959
08-16-2004, 04:46 PM
i was at the saturday and sunday games

my uncle went they day before and said there were a ton of chisox fans
on sat. after the timo hr, we stood up to cheer, heard no other applause

and were immediately booed

same happened sunday but we did finally see a group of chisox fans behind

homeplate

SoxFan78
08-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Just got back from Boston and it was a great time. Too bad for me I went to the Saturday game and they lost, but it was a good time. I like how they block off Yawkey Way and its just one big concession stand. My girlfiend and I went to some underground bar there before the game were the only sox fans in the bar. Some radio station was there and had a quiz contest between me and some Red Sox fan. Of course they tried throwing me off by asking red sox questions, I think one of them was who was the ss of the 86 Red Sox. I answered bill buckner just to piss them off.

Game was fun, some red sox fans did give me grief, but its understandable. I was wearing my jersey in their park.

One thing I didnt understand were all the CUB fans I saw down there. Cub hats with boston shirts, boston hats with cub shirts. Stupid. I even saw some people with the Sux shirts and cox shirts. Don't they have anything better to do? I thought Cub Fans didnt care about us!

Fenway is much better then the urinal for sure!

SoxFan76
08-16-2004, 05:23 PM
It really pains me to say this, but Wrigley looks much more appealing on TV. Now I have been to Wrigley enough times, and I know it's a crap hole, but on TV Fenway looks very generic. But it is interesting to hear how good Fenway really is. All I have ever heard was how much it sucked.

pinwheels3530
08-16-2004, 08:57 PM

I am doing 6 games in 7 days starting with sox/indians in cleveland, then pirates/cardinals in pittsburgh for two games, sox/ phillies and sox/A's for two games.

I am doing 6 games in 7 days starting with sox/indians in cleveland, then pirates/cardinals in pittsburgh for two games, sox/ phillies and sox/A's for two games.

I think PNC park is the best looking park from what I seen on tv, so I am really looking foward tobeing there in person.

Fenway
08-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I am glad most enjoyed themselves. Please come back

cbrownson13
08-17-2004, 01:51 AM
It really pains me to say this, but Wrigley looks much more appealing on TV. Now I have been to Wrigley enough times, and I know it's a crap hole, but on TV Fenway looks very generic. But it is interesting to hear how good Fenway really is. All I have ever heard was how much it sucked.
Yeah, I was also in Boston this weekend, wearing my Southside Hitmen shirt to the game Saturday. (Anyone see me?) I went with my best friend who is a Cubs fan and he even said that he thought Fenway was better than Wrigley. It really is a great stadium and they have kept it fresh (nice bathrooms with plumbing) which is good. I had a great time and ended up sitting next to people from Morris. (I'm from Joliet) Found it amazing to go 1,000 miles and end up sitting right next to people 30 miles from where I live.

Anyways, Fenway was great, the city of Boston is cool and I am glad the Sox took 2/3.

SoxFan76
08-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I was also in Boston this weekend, wearing my Southside Hitmen shirt to the game Saturday. (Anyone see me?) I went with my best friend who is a Cubs fan and he even said that he thought Fenway was better than Wrigley. It really is a great stadium and they have kept it fresh (nice bathrooms with plumbing) which is good. I had a great time and ended up sitting next to people from Morris. (I'm from Joliet) Found it amazing to go 1,000 miles and end up sitting right next to people 30 miles from where I live.

Anyways, Fenway was great, the city of Boston is cool and I am glad the Sox took 2/3.
Morris? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm from Oswego. We don't like dem Morris folk.

Erik The Red
08-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Morris? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm from Oswego. We don't like dem Morris folk. Yeah, while I was going to Oswego HS, their football team used to tear us up all the time :angry:

It's all good though, we rule now :cool:

kraut83
08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
I was at Friday's game as well. After actually going to Fenway, I have a new respect for Red Sox fans. They were into the game the whole time & always knew what was going on. Very knowledgeable & passionate about their team. They did bust our chops a little, all in good fun though. Funny thing was, most of their fans we talked to think Gammons is a tool as well! We sat on the roof, on the RF side, so I didn't notice the large invasion of Sox fans that were there.

Very impressed with Fenway too! It appeared to be in great shape & from where we were, it was a great place to watch a game.

MUsoxfan
08-17-2004, 05:19 PM
McFish went with our group. He ended up meeting a girl that lived 10 houses away from him on his street. He had never even seen her before. That was very weird.

jabrch
08-17-2004, 05:40 PM
The problem with Fenway is that like any 90 year old building, the concrete is constantly crumbling, falling apart, and nearly crushing patrons. No - wait a sec - all 90 year old stadiums aren't collapsing ****holes. I get it. There's a reason we tore down Old Comiskey, huh?