PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bowa's Days in Philly Numbered?

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 11:25 PM
For those of you who may be following this story, the Philadelphia Phillies were swept this weekend by the San Francisco Giants, pushing them farther behind in the race for the National League Wild Card. A three-way tie now exists between the Giants, Cubs, and Padres for the WC lead. The Phillies are still within striking distance (4.5 games), but their roster has been depleted by injuries (Burrell, Wagner, Millwood, Thome), so it is unlikely that they will be able to make a run over these last six or seven weeks.

Therefore, it stands to reason that Larry Bowa's days as Philles manager are numbered, and a strong possibility exists that the number is much smaller than we think. Many baseball analysts have asserted that Bowa would have been fired during the team's West Coast trip, but his termination was staved off by the Phillies improved play in Los Angeles and San Diego.

However, being swept at home by the Giants may have been the last straw for a man who is almost universally disliked, at least as far his players and the Philadelphia media are concerned. Virtually all Phillies fans want either Bowa or Phillies GM Ed Wade to be fired once the season ends. It some ways, this situation almost reminds me of what the Sox went through in 2002, when many of us were calling for both Manuel and Williams to be fired. The current Phillies team has had the past few seasons to put things together, and they haven't been abel to do it.

Since taking over as manager in 2001, Bowa has managed to 1.) chase Scott Rolen out of town, 2.) alienate Pat Burrell, and 3.) make an enemy of the media and fans. The tension between Bowa and Burrell came to head last season, when Burrell was mired in the worst slump of his career. After Bowa singled out Burrell during a post-game tirade, several Phillies players privately suggested to the outfielder that he should not shake Bowa's hand the next time he hit a home run. Sure enough, Burrell homered the next night, and turned his back on his manager upon returning to the dugout.

samram
08-15-2004, 11:36 PM
I guess Bowa blamed Tyler Houston for the nonhand-shaking stuff, and Houston wrote an article about it in a Las Vegas paper a few weeks ago. I don't know whether they'll fire Bowa now, since they would probably only be able to have an interim manager from the present coaching staff who's loyal to Bowa because they won't want to pay Bowa and another guy. But certainly after the year, there will be an entire change in the coaching staff.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 11:42 PM
I guess Bowa blamed Tyler Houston for the nonhand-shaking stuff, and Houston wrote an article about it in a Las Vegas paper a few weeks ago. I don't know whether they'll fire Bowa now, since they would probably only be able to have an interim manager from the present coaching staff who's loyal to Bowa because they won't want to pay Bowa and another guy. But certainly after the year, there will be an entire change in the coaching staff.
That was my impression, as well. In fact, I think the Philadelphia Daily News had an article about the feud between Bowa and Houston. I thought the Sox situation was bad with "The Tinkerer" around, but this somehow seems even worse.

samram
08-15-2004, 11:53 PM
That was my impression, as well. In fact, I think the Philadelphia Daily News had an article about the feud between Bowa and Houston. I thought the Sox situation was bad with "The Tinkerer" around, but this somehow seems even worse.
Yeah, Manuel and Bowa are polar opposites. Pretty much everyone hates Bowa, while only Frank didn't seem to like Jerry personally. Bowa is a high-strung screamer, while Manuel seemed to be asleep at the wheel a lot. They were and are definitely the wrong guys for their respective teams.

As for Houston, it is interesting that the guy lead the NL in pinch-hitting last year, and he couldn't find a spot this year- maybe Bowa wasn't completely off about him.

SOXPHILE
08-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I have been following this soap opera. The Phillies have been expected to do big things the last couple of years now, and they keep pissing everything away. Sound like a certain team on the South Side ? Anyway, the rumblings about Bowa geting axed have been going on since last year, and now, this year, with the Phils AGAIN falling furthur and furthur out of the division and wild card races, the drumbeats for Bowa's head are geting loud again. Not surprising all the stuff you hear though, Bowa was always thought of as a tool, even in his playing days. While he was on the Cubs at the end of his career, they brought in a young player named Shawon Dunston to be groomed as the shortstop of their future, and wanted Bowa to sort of help him along and show him the ropes. Basically, he refused, couldn't get over the fact that he was winding his career down, and didn't want to help out someone who was going to be his eventual replacement. Won't find any sympathy here.