PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Josh Stewart starts against BoSox next week.

Win1ForMe
08-15-2004, 11:02 PM
And looks like we'll go to the 4-man rotation next week @ Cleveland. I say bring Stewart up, he had a couple of good outings last year so maybe he won't embarass himself out there (i.e. Diaz).

Set for the Tribe: It looks as if the White Sox will stick with a five-man rotation this week against the Tigers and Red Sox, with the fifth starter's spot coming up Saturday afternoon against the Red Sox. But Guillen spoke prior to Sunday's game of returning to a four-man rotation the following week and possibly the rest of the year.

Guillen wants Garcia, Contreras, Garland and Buehrle in place to face the Indians for a four-game series at Jacobs Field, beginning on Aug. 26.

"I want the best guys I can have going against Cleveland," said Guillen of the series against the red-hot Indians. "We'll see how that thing is going.

"Against Boston, we don't have time because Freddy will go on five days. That's why we pushed Buehrle up."

Guillen clearly didn't want Felix Diaz facing Cleveland, with the right-hander getting clubbed by the Indians in two earlier starts this season. It's no certainty that Diaz will start this Saturday against Boston, with Guillen less than overly thrilled with how the right-hander matches up when facing the American League Wild Card leader.

The next candidate on the fifth starter's wheel of fortune could be left-hander Josh Stewart, who made five starts for the White Sox in 2003. Stewart threw six scoreless innings Saturday during Triple-A Charlotte's 3-1 victory over Durham and has a 3.80 ERA. He has bounced back from an injury, suffered when a Jeff Conine line drive hit him in the chest early last season in Baltimore.

"I think Stewart is the best one we have down there," Guillen said. "We have nothing to lose bringing up this kid. All the fifth starters have had the same result. Why not try another guy to see if he can help us? "He's a lefty. We have a better chance with a left-hander against some teams."

Soxzilla
08-16-2004, 12:06 AM
Our we could just go after meche......:?:

South Side
08-16-2004, 12:06 AM
When is this team going to learn?

Soxzilla
08-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Oh and, you know, not that this MEANS anything.:wink: But Gil meche pitched 7 innings and only gave up 2 er in a 7-3 seattle victory over the YANKEES. Did I say the YANKEES? i believe I said the YANKEES.

P.S.-Olivo added a 2 run single to that victory over the YANKEES, where gil meche pitched 7 innings against the YANKEES, where he only gave up 2 earned runs off of ONE homerun to the YANKEES.

:redneck

jeremyb1
08-16-2004, 12:17 AM
And looks like we'll go to the 4-man rotation next week @ Cleveland. I say bring Stewart up, he had a couple of good outings last year so maybe he won't embarass himself out there (i.e. Diaz).[/b]

That's really ridiculous. On top of the fact that Stewart gave up 8 ER in a start last season, Buehrle's got hitten around before, is he an embarassment? Is it that hard to try to think rationally instead of emotionally for once? Diaz has only had 5 starts! Stewart likewise has 5 career starts. If you can evaluate this pitchers based on five consecutive start you can evaluate any pitcher on five consecutive starts meaning John Snyder is a Cy Young winner for the White Sox and Mark Buehrle is an utter disaster.

MRKARNO
08-16-2004, 12:20 AM
That's really ridiculous. On top of the fact that Stewart gave up 8 ER in a start last season, Buehrle's got hitten around before, is he an embarassment? Is it that hard to try to think rationally instead of emotionally for once? Diaz has only had 5 starts! Stewart likewise has 5 career starts. If you can evaluate this pitchers based on five consecutive start you can evaluate any pitcher on five consecutive starts meaning John Snyder is a Cy Young winner for the White Sox and Mark Buehrle is an utter disaster.
Well let's hope Stewart can put together 5 consecutive really good starts and propel us to the Playoffs. I dont care how good he will be in the longrun because we're gonna get another starter this offseason.

Win1ForMe
08-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Take a deep breath jeremy. I never said Diaz was an embaressment, but that his performance up to this point have been. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's a bad pitcher, just that he may not be ready to pitch in the majors at this point. I think you're reading too much into my comments.

fquaye149
08-16-2004, 12:45 AM
last year josh was nothing but solid for us. i don't know about his minors performance thus far, but let's see how he does before a third place team mortgages more of its future for the likes of gil meche.

Mohoney
08-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Our we could just go after meche......:?:

If Meche has cleared waivers, we should do everything in our power to get him.

Bring up Kelly Wunsch, too. To retire both Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz is too much to ask from Jon Adkins.

If Kelly Wunsch was on this team as a 12th pitcher, we might be talking about a sweep.

MRKARNO
08-16-2004, 12:56 AM
If Kelly Wunsch was on this team as a 12th pitcher, we might be talking about a sweep. I would take Jeff Bajenaru before I would take Kelly Wunsch.

jeremyb1
08-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Take a deep breath jeremy. I never said Diaz was an embaressment, but that his performance up to this point have been. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's a bad pitcher, just that he may not be ready to pitch in the majors at this point. I think you're reading too much into my comments.

Well I'll apolgoize for reading embarassing into embarassment, it's not the same. I got a little carried away. What frustrates me is reading so much into five starts. I just don't think it's fair to the players, coaches, or fans. I realize patience can be difficult especially in the situation we're in right now but I feel strongly that there is absolutely nothing in Diaz or Stewarts' pro career that indicates Stewart is any less likely than Diaz when it comes to getting shelled the next time the spot comes up.

Kogs35
08-16-2004, 12:59 AM
If Meche has cleared waivers, we should do everything in our power to get him.

Bring up Kelly Wunsch, too. To retire both Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz is too much to ask from Jon Adkins.

If Kelly Wunsch was on this team as a 12th pitcher, we might be talking about a sweep.
who is this kelly wunsch? i dont see him on the white sox 25 man or 40 man roster

Mohoney
08-16-2004, 01:06 AM
who is this kelly wunsch? i dont see him on the white sox 25 man or 40 man roster

And Dan Wright, who won't pick up a baseball until next summer at the EARLIEST, still is on the 40 man.

kittle42
08-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Was this supposed to be in teal?

Kogs35
08-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Was this supposed to be in teal?
no cause hes really not there. People get over it hes not coming back. i would surpised if hes called up sept1. kw doesnt like him

mdep524
08-16-2004, 02:15 AM
I'd be all for Josh Stewart getting a few starts- as long as the Sox have learned their lesson about treating their minor leaguers like garbage and flying them in the day of their spot start. :tsk: :tsk:

If Stewart is called up, say, NOW, and treated like a part of the team up until his start, I say do it.

Wealz
08-16-2004, 03:44 PM
I wonder if there isn't a difference of opinion between Guillen and Williams on going to the 4-man rotation. The manager wants to win now and the GM wants to protect the investments he's made in Buehrle, Contreras, and Garcia by giving them the normal rest between stats.

I can see Guillen pushing for Stewart to start because if he gets hit hard, Guillen has more of an argument to return to the 4-man rotation. It's a little like Munoz being left in to give up 11 runs in 3 innings, next thing you know Garcia is traded for.

Flight #24
08-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I wonder if there isn't a difference of opinion between Guillen and Williams on going to the 4-man rotation. The manager wants to win now and the GM wants to protect the investments he's made in Buehrle, Contreras, and Garcia by giving them the normal rest between stats.

I doubt it, only because as a 1st year mgr, and one who's looking towards some revamping of the team in the offseason that'll focus things on pitching & "ozzieball", Oz & KW's interests are pretty well aligned. It doesn't help Ozzie any to have the team do better this year, only to lose one of the key cogs for next year and/or beyond and face significant problems.

balke
08-16-2004, 03:51 PM
HAHAHA. That just reminded me of Koch's last relief appearance for the sox, when he blew like a 4 run lead with 2 outs to get in the 9th. Ozzie just let him hang, single after single, so he could show how bad this guy really is. HAHAHA!!! I loved that night.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2004, 04:11 PM
HAHAHA. That just reminded me of Koch's last relief appearance for the sox, when he blew like a 4 run lead with 2 outs to get in the 9th. Ozzie just let him hang, single after single, so he could show how bad this guy really is. HAHAHA!!! I loved that night.:ozzie
"I tell you what, Billy is my closer. He's the man for the job... and I didn't need nobody else... he's the man... [*breaks down and snickers*] Hokay, I tell you what, I'm busted. Ha ha! [*clearing throat, acting serious*] I tell you what, Josh Stewart, he's my 5th starter. [*almost laughs again*]"

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 07:43 PM
:ozzie
"I tell you what, Billy is my closer. He's the man for the job... and I didn't need nobody else... he's the man... [*breaks down and snickers*] Hokay, I tell you what, I'm busted. Ha ha! [*clearing throat, acting serious*] I tell you what, Josh Stewart, he's my 5th starter. [*almost laughs again*]"
This would be funny if only it weren't so ****ing sad.

Koch easily cost us the division last year (the difference between being 2 games up and 5 games up in mid-September is huuuge) and we would be at least 2 games better this year if Sox learned their lesson with Botch and had the balls to admit a mistake. How would you like to be only 1 game out of 1st place in the loss column?

Gestaldt
08-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I'd be all for Josh Stewart getting a few starts- as long as the Sox have learned their lesson about treating their minor leaguers like garbage and flying them in the day of their spot start. :tsk: :tsk:
.Far be it from me to defend Sox management, but at some point "young" ( as in early-mid 20's, not 18) pitchers have to start taking responsibility for not having ML stuff/control/deception/make-up/results. Period.

This is the BIG leagues and it's certainly not for psychological midgets. Time we stopped infantilizing the adults in this country.

Randar68
08-16-2004, 07:48 PM

If Kelly Wunsch was on this team as a 12th pitcher, we might be talking about a sweep.***** *****! WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET YOUR WEED!?!?!?

Seriously, I saw Kelly in Charlotte last week, he didn't touch 85 mph! Get a F'in Clue! In addition, he needs to be shut down for several days at a time regularly right now in order to just make an outing or 2 per week!

I'm really getting tired of the mass ignorance and stupidity or lack of reason some people here have been displaying.

Really, really stupid.

Randar68
08-16-2004, 07:51 PM
It's a little like Munoz being left in to give up 11 runs in 3 innings, next thing you know Garcia is traded for.
Uhhh, wasn't that start about 1+ month before Garcia was acquired? Like anyone thought Munoz was the answer for the rest of the year?

Randar68
08-16-2004, 07:52 PM

If Stewart is called up, say, NOW, and treated like a part of the team up until his start, I say do it.
LOL! That's more than Rauch, Diaz or Munoz got. Hell, getting a few starts in a row on regular rest is more than anyone has been given...

Dick Allen
08-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Uhhh, wasn't that start about 1+ month before Garcia was acquired? Like anyone thought Munoz was the answer for the rest of the year? No, it was a week before Garcia was acquired.

Wealz
08-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Uhhh, wasn't that start about 1+ month before Garcia was acquired? Like anyone thought Munoz was the answer for the rest of the year?
Google it next time.

balke
08-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Aren't Munoz, And Diaz better pitchers than Stewart? Wasn't Diaz like 8-1 in the minors, and Munoz the sox minor league all-star? Bringing up stewart sounds like a mark in the loss column to me. I agree that these starters need to take responsibility for themselves. This is a season of professional baseball, we are in a race for our division, we don't have time to d*** around with our Minor league pitchers, allowing 4 runs an inning. 4-man on out, maybe give the kid one start if the starters NEED a break. So far everyone's looked good out there.

AND I always hear pro managers say that starters CAN last on a 4-man rotation no problem. So... we don't need to see Josh, we can open that present next season.

iwannago
08-17-2004, 02:15 PM
What's wrong with Grilli? He almost made the team out of spring training.

Randar68
08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Google it next time.Arnie start on the 19th. Garcia acquired on the 27th or there-abouts.

Thanks for the smart-ass remark. I guess that's all you have left after looking retarded in your comments about the minor leagues.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Arnie start on the 19th. Garcia acquired on the 27th or there-abouts.

Thanks for the smart-ass remark. I guess that's all you have left after looking retarded in your comments about the minor leagues.
I was just wondering where calm and gentle Randar has been of late... :cool:

habibharu
08-17-2004, 05:02 PM
***** *****! WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET YOUR WEED!?!?!?

Seriously, I saw Kelly in Charlotte last week, he didn't touch 85 mph! Get a F'in Clue! In addition, he needs to be shut down for several days at a time regularly right now in order to just make an outing or 2 per week!

.really? looking at his stats, it seems like he has been doing a pretty good job. 2.55 ERA, 17.2 IP, only 14 H, 8 BB, 20 K's

Randar68
08-17-2004, 05:15 PM
really? looking at his stats, it seems like he has been doing a pretty good job. 2.55 ERA, 17.2 IP, only 14 H, 8 BB, 20 K's
really.

maurice
08-17-2004, 06:29 PM
really? looking at his stats, it seems like he has been doing a pretty good job. 2.55 ERA, 17.2 IP, only 14 H, 8 BB, 20 K's
You don't find the 17.2 IP disconcerting, seeing as it's mid-August?

IMHO, Kelly is a fine LOOGY who's made of glass and thus overpaid. The rest of the league appears to agree.

fsphog
08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
stewarts not on the 40 man, so a move will have to be made, and secondly, wunsch is making a ton of money to just be a aaa player.

as far as grilli - from what ive seen and heard, the guy is full of himself and is a cancer in the clubhouse. he doesnt seem to interact with other players well. a former first rounder whose had opportunities here and doesnt seem to make the big squad after them?? you gotta wonder....

Mohoney
08-18-2004, 12:34 AM
This is the BIG leagues and it's certainly not for psychological midgets. Time we stopped infantilizing the adults in this country.

Agreed. Neal Cotts and Jon Garland should be packaged together this offseason and TRADED.

Mohoney
08-18-2004, 12:44 AM
***** *****! WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET YOUR WEED!?!?!?

I'm really getting tired of the mass ignorance and stupidity or lack of reason some people here have been displaying.

Really, really stupid.

Just tell me one thing.

Who died and made you Casey Stengel?

Oh, yeah. Jon Adkins is a MUCH better option than a submarine lefty against David Ortiz, who hits lefties at a .250 clip, as opposed to a .338 clip vs. righties.

Just because you watch AAA games in person doesn't mean that you're vastly superior to the rest of us, who watch BIG LEAGUE games in person. If you're tired of our "stupidity" or "lack of reason", then refute our argument with FACTS, not holier-than-thou name-calling.

Randar68
08-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Just tell me one thing.

Who died and made you Casey Stengel?

Oh, yeah. Jon Adkins is a MUCH better option than a submarine lefty against David Ortiz, who hits lefties at a .250 clip, as opposed to a .338 clip vs. righties.

Just because you watch AAA games in person doesn't mean that you're vastly superior to the rest of us, who watch BIG LEAGUE games in person. If you're tired of our "stupidity" or "lack of reason", then refute our argument with FACTS, not holier-than-thou name-calling.
Yeah, because Ortiz couldn't possibly hit a 85 mph fastball, submarine or not. *****.

If you don't know a damned thinig about the game or the players involved, then don't go spouting off about it, because, as you can tell, I'm more than happy to put you in your place, like it or not.

reason, logic, and a coherent thought are good places to start.

Randar68
08-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Just because you watch AAA games in person doesn't mean that you're vastly superior to the rest of us, who watch BIG LEAGUE games in person. If you're tired of our "stupidity" or "lack of reason", then refute our argument with FACTS, not holier-than-thou name-calling.PS. If you think Kelly Wunsch of the last couple years is the same one who is now used sparingly and rested frequently in AAA, then you're more out of it than I even gave you credit for originally.

FACT: Kelly is not 100%
FACT: Kelly is not throwing 85 mph with a strong tail-wind
FACT: Ignoring those things because he's a great guy and has done well in the past when 100% is utter stupidity.

Mohoney
08-18-2004, 03:13 AM
PS. If you think Kelly Wunsch of the last couple years is the same one who is now used sparingly and rested frequently in AAA, then you're more out of it than I even gave you credit for originally.

FACT: Kelly is not 100%
FACT: Kelly is not throwing 85 mph with a strong tail-wind
FACT: Ignoring those things because he's a great guy and has done well in the past when 100% is utter stupidity.

He is obviously getting people out, which is more than Neal Cotts is doing.

I am more than willing to bet that, if given the chance, Kelly Wunsch will have an ERA under 5 and not throw 3 wild pitches in an inning, no matter how far from 100% he is.

By the way, maybe, just maybe, he would feature some offspeed stuff to Ortiz? Maybe he can locate his 85 mph fastball better than Neal Cotts locates his 89 mph fastball, thus making him more effective than a guy that has proven time and again that he doesn't belong in a competitive team's bullpen?