PDA

View Full Version : It finally comes to fruition

freshdill
08-15-2004, 09:36 PM
As was evidence again this series, we see that guys on here finally have realized that Rowand is a good hitter, a guy who plays hard, and a guy who makes plays defensively. I know a few guys who were demonized on this board for defending him, and he has proved all the naysayers wrong.

Also, I couldn't take it when all the trolls came out talking mess about the Garcia deal. KW leaves a lot to be desired but not only did we get Garcia AND lock him up, but Ben Davis? This guy is making Olivo look like a thing of the past and he is a left handed bat. The jury is out to see if he continues to hit, but his handling of these pitchers is nothing short of phenomenal and his arm is good. The only thing Olivo has on him is a bit of a stronger arm, as I see it.

I hope we can continue with 3 against Detroit and sneak into the playoffs in a season where all looked forsaken! I'm all for the 4 man rotation ...

Fresh

Dub25
08-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm one that has taking a beating for supporting Rowand. I don't mind though, we all have an opinion. It is nice he's proving a lot of people here wrong.

Chrisaway
08-16-2004, 12:45 AM
I predicted Rowand to have a breakout year. Hope he can keep it up.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2004, 02:38 AM
I was not a Rowand guy, but I never beat up on those who were. I now think I was probably wrong about Rowand. He's been the most consistent player on the Sox for the last month or so.

soxtalker
08-16-2004, 06:08 AM
As was evidence again this series, we see that guys on here finally have realized that Rowand is a good hitter, a guy who plays hard, and a guy who makes plays defensively. I know a few guys who were demonized on this board for defending him, and he has proved all the naysayers wrong.

Also, I couldn't take it when all the trolls came out talking mess about the Garcia deal. KW leaves a lot to be desired but not only did we get Garcia AND lock him up, but Ben Davis? This guy is making Olivo look like a thing of the past and he is a left handed bat. The jury is out to see if he continues to hit, but his handling of these pitchers is nothing short of phenomenal and his arm is good. The only thing Olivo has on him is a bit of a stronger arm, as I see it.

Fresh
I think that one takeaway from the Rowand issue is that it makes sense to wait for awhile before making sweeping judgements in baseball. Rowland didn't look that good back when those critiques were being made. And, while I tended to be on the side pulling for Rowand, their criticism of his defense was not unfounded. I was at the game last Sunday, and he turned an easy catch into what appeared to be a spectacular one, because he turned the wrong way when going back on a ball. I probably wouldn't have noticed that if the Rowand detractors hadn't pointed out that tendency.

By the same reasoning, it's a bit early to be pronouncing the Garcia trade an unqualified steal for the Sox. Hopefully, Davis continues to play well, but it is far too early to tell. And I wouldn't give up on Olivo and Reed just yet.

Mickster
08-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Rowland didn't look that good back when those critiques were being made.
Who's this Rowland guy that I keep hearing about? :tongue:

Erik The Red
08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Probably a teammate of that Valentine dude.

jabrch
08-16-2004, 09:34 AM
I said Rowand would make a great 4th OF. I guess that statement is true, huh? Seriously - I was wrong on him - I wish he was our RF instead of our CF, but I love the way he has played this year. I sure hope he can keep it up. He makes a very nice inexpensive starting OF for a while.

TornLabrum
08-16-2004, 09:48 AM
I was not a Rowand guy, but I never beat up on those who were. I now think I was probably wrong about Rowand. He's been the most consistent player on the Sox for the last month or so.
There's a way in which he reminds me of your namesake. He's gotten to where he is today through hard work. Last month Greg Walker talked about all the time Rowand was spending working with him. He even used Rowand as an example to Willie Harris of what hard work can accomplish.

(And that, folks, is the kind of stuff you get at a WCSF luncheon!)

idseer
08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
There's a way in which he reminds me of your namesake. He's gotten to where he is today through hard work.
i was going to mention the same thing but then i thought about the last time i mentioned a similarity of a current sox player to an earlier one (parque*pierce) it didn't work out so well. :smile:

OurBitchinMinny
08-16-2004, 10:15 AM
I was a rowand basher and am still skeptical. He still is not hitting well in the clutch. Has some stupid ABs at times and doesnt do the little things like move runners over. That being said he is way better than I thought he would ever be. He has a strong arm, but I need to see it for more than 1 season. Ill gladly keep eating crow if he keeps it up

Paulwny
08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I was a rowand basher and am still skeptical. He still is not hitting well in the clutch. Has some stupid ABs at times and doesnt do the little things like move runners over. That being said he is way better than I thought he would ever be. He has a strong arm, but I need to see it for more than 1 season. Ill gladly keep eating crow if he keeps it up
I'm in this camp and will also eat crow if Rowand keeps this up for > 2 seasons.

freshdill
08-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I think that one takeaway from the Rowand issue is that it makes sense to wait for awhile before making sweeping judgements in baseball. Rowland didn't look that good back when those critiques were being made. And, while I tended to be on the side pulling for Rowand, their criticism of his defense was not unfounded. I was at the game last Sunday, and he turned an easy catch into what appeared to be a spectacular one, because he turned the wrong way when going back on a ball. I probably wouldn't have noticed that if the Rowand detractors hadn't pointed out that tendency.

By the same reasoning, it's a bit early to be pronouncing the Garcia trade an unqualified steal for the Sox. Hopefully, Davis continues to play well, but it is far too early to tell. And I wouldn't give up on Olivo and Reed just yet.
I'm not giving up on Olivo or Reed, but right now Davis looks better, is left handed, and Garcia is STILL a top 10 pitcher in baseball actively in winning %. What jury is still out when you look at that?

Rowand isn't clutch? Sure, he doesn't come up in the clutch EVERY time, but that 2 run homer to put us up wasn't clutch?

freshdill

batmanZoSo
08-16-2004, 07:29 PM

I never had a problem with his defense as he's not really a center fielder to begin with. He deserves some slack there. And he can throw a guy out. If he hits like this though he can stay. The problem early in the year is that he just couldn't hit at all. That was my beef with him.