PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate?

oeo
08-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Why does everyone have a problem with Hawk and DJ? I'm getting sick and tired of everyone complaining at how bad of commentators they are. On the Red Sox forums, there's a whole thread with a lot of responses about how bad they are. Maybe they're just mad because "our lousy ChiSox" as they like to call us lost 2 out of three, but on BBTN, they were saying how bad Hawk's homerun call is. Why can't our commentators be biased...they're OUR COMMENTATORS, not Red Sox, not Flubs, but the WHITE SOX...they're white sox fans, let them be.

BTW, does Boston not have their own commentators...why the hell are they listening to ours?

EDIT: whoops..link: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-redsox&msg=92106.61

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Why does everyone have a problem with Hawk and DJ? I'm getting sick and tired of everyone complaining at how bad of commentators they are. On the Red Sox forums, there's a whole thread with a lot of responses about how bad they are. Maybe they're just mad because "our lousy ChiSox" as they like to call us lost 2 out of three, but on BBTN, they were saying how bad Hawk's homerun call is. Why can't our commentators be biased...they're OUR COMMENTATORS, not Red Sox, not Flubs, but the WHITE SOX...they're white sox fans, let them be.

BTW, does Boston not have their own commentators...why the hell are they listening to ours?

EDIT: whoops..link: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-redsox&msg=92106.61
Don't believe what they tell you. We are the most privelaged fans in baseball when it comes to commentators. I have to believe people who rip on Hawk are jealous they don't have an announcer with half the enthusiasm Hawk has for the game. And as for Sox fans ripping on him, well you are very spoiled. How would you like to have Chip Caray or Pat Hughes? Or how bout those God-awful Yankee announcers? Puh-lease. We are veeeeeeeery lucky to have Hawk.

MRKARNO
08-15-2004, 09:36 PM
People who are not White Sox fans don't like the perceived "cheerleading" that Hawk and DJ do and they also dislike their bias towards the hometown team. I like it and I think it adds more spice to the broadcast and they're usually thinking like us fans are thinking. People get upset when they have to hear Hawk yell "HE GAWN!" and "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOARD....YES!!!" when we strike their batters out and we homer off of their pitcher and they continually associate Hawk calling against their team with Hawk.

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 09:38 PM
People who are not White Sox fans don't like the perceived "cheerleading" that Hawk and DJ do and they also dislike their bias towards the hometown team. I like it and I think it adds more spice to the broadcast and they're usually thinking like us fans are thinking. People get upset when they have to hear Hawk yell "HE GAWN!" and "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOARD....YES!!!" when we strike their batters out and we homer off of their pitcher and they continually associate Hawk calling against their team with Hawk.
But the thing is, Hawk and DJ are not as biased as people make them out to be. They will be the first ones to say if a call that goes for the other team is the right call or not. They ALWAYS praise the good players on other teams. Hell, today they were praising Manny as being the best hitter in the league. It's such BS how people go out and find new ways to rip the Sox.

DVsoxfan
08-15-2004, 09:39 PM
I like Hawk, I miss Wimpy. At least we don't have Steve Stoner or the Phillies announcer, he was on BBTN @ the beginning of the baseball season, and he was the most annoying person I ever listened to. What's his name?

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 09:42 PM
But the thing is, Hawk and DJ are not as biased as people make them out to be. They will be the first ones to say if a call that goes for the other team is the right call or not. They ALWAYS praise the good players on other teams. Hell, today they were praising Manny as being the best hitter in the league. It's such BS how people go out and find new ways to rip the Sox.
Again, I think a lot of it boils down to jealously. Think about how many teams have changed their broadcast teams in recent years. The Yankees changed their team recently, and the guys they have now are awful. The Mets changed their team a few years ago. The Giants broadcast team is horrible.

There are only a few "good" broadcast teams in baseball right now. Aside from Hawk and DJ, the team of George Grande and Chris Welch in Cincinnati does a nice job. The Braves broadcast group (Van Wieren, Simpson, Skip Caray, and Don Sutton) does good work. Other than that, I can't think of too many people that I actually enjoy listening to when they're calling a game.

Dub25
08-15-2004, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=DVsoxfan] At least we don't have Steve Stoner

Thank God. People always talk about his knowledge. He doesn't tell me anything I already know or didn't know.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-15-2004, 09:45 PM
They dont have our little "sayings"..."can of corn", "you can put it on the board", "he gone" all these sayings make us individuals and make us awsome. It also makes all those other teams jealous of us :tongue:

:bandance:

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 09:45 PM
I like Hawk, I miss Wimpy. At least we don't have Steve Stoner or the Phillies announcer, he was on BBTN @ the beginning of the baseball season, and he was the most annoying person I ever listened to. What's his name?
Harry Kalas

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=DVsoxfan] At least we don't have Steve Stoner

Thank God. People always talk about his knowledge. He doesn't tell me anything I already know or didn't know.
Exactly. He says a lot of basic stuff, the problem is most Cub fans know nothing about the game of baseball. So to them it seems like Stone is a genius. For instance, a RH pitcher will consitently throw inside to a RH hitter, then throw a slider off the plate. That's how you pitch. Stone makes it seem as if nobody knows that. Ok, well maybe Cub fans don't know that. Not to mention his incredibly annoying voice.

Daver
08-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Harry Kalas is one of the best baseball announcers I have ever listened to.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Exactly. He says a lot of basic stuff, the problem is most Cub fans know nothing about the game of baseball. So to them it seems like Stone is a genius. For instance, a RH pitcher will consitently throw inside to a RH hitter, then throw a slider off the plate. That's how you pitch. Stone makes it seem as if nobody knows that. Ok, well maybe Cub fans don't know that. Not to mention his incredibly annoying voice.
I actually think the fact that Stone is broadcasting to Cubs fans has a lot to do with it. Most everyone here knows that Cubs fans are among the stupidest and least knowledgeble fans in baseball. Thus, it's not surprsing that their broadcast teams would water things down so that people could understand what was going on. I remember someone posting a message about an interview that Ron Santo did with Dusty Baker. One of the questions he asked Dusty was, "Who is pitching for the Phillies today?" A number of people laughed at the question, but given that most Cubs fans probably had never even heard of the Philadelphia Phillies, it was a necessary question.

LongLiveFisk
08-15-2004, 09:53 PM
I remember Braves fans posting the same sort of stuff when Hawk was making those calls against their team. If you don't have thick skin, you probably shouldn't listen to some other team's broadcasters because even if Hawk and DJ are baseball's biggest homers, they definitely aren't baseball's ONLY homers.

And funny you should mention the Red Sox fans hating Hawk's homerism against their team when, as I recall, these same people were yukking it up when Hawk was playing favorites against the hated Yankees. I have nothing against the Red Sox (for the most part, besides the Cubbie love they seem to spew) or their fans but come on, don't expect to be treated any differently! DOH!

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Harry Kalas is one of the best baseball announcers I have ever listened to. I've only heard him in clips that I've seen from highlights from phillies.com (http://www.phillies.com), but he seems like someone whom I would enjoy listening to.

jamteh
08-15-2004, 09:56 PM
I enjoy listening to Hawk and DJ. I love Hawk's energy and passion in particular. After all these years, it would be hard for me to watch games without the Hawkeroo. Of course, I could do without the "Bad Guys" talk, but I've learned to ignore it. I also wish they'd let Hawk do broadcast interviews instead of DJ. Did anyone hear that interview he did with the cop and fireman? That was painful.

Rex Hudler
08-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Agreed.... Harry Kalas is one of the all-time best. I'd take Stone over DJ too. DJ is terrible. Hawk is okay, but I get no visions of Kalas, Vin Scully or Ernie Harwell when listening to Hawk.

I think the Sox broadcast is middle of the pack, at best.

MRKARNO
08-15-2004, 10:03 PM
1. The Red Sox fans were taking their anger of losing 2 out of 3 to the White Sox at Fenway Park on Hawk and DJ because they're easy targets and no one is going to disagree with them on their board for the most part

2. Vin Scully is probably the best broadcaster in baseball. The call on the 1986 WS Game 6 on the Buckner play was incredible. Also he is a joy to listen to in general.

3. I happen to like the Giants broadcast crew. I really like Jon Miller, but he mostly does radio. I also like the guy who says "OUTTA HERE!" on the home run calls.

4. Hawk and DJ aren't that much more biased than other announcers, it's just that Hawk has a patented Strikeout call, which most announcers don't really have (most will just say "HE STRUCK HIM OUT!") and Hawk will speak words of encouragment for the White Sox players. I don't see any harm in that.

Rex Hudler
08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
I actually think the fact that Stone is broadcasting to Cubs fans has a lot to do with it. Most everyone here knows that Cubs fans are among the stupidest and least knowledgeble fans in baseball. Thus, it's not surprsing that their broadcast teams would water things down so that people could understand what was going on. I remember someone posting a message about an interview that Ron Santo did with Dusty Baker. One of the questions he asked Dusty was, "Who is pitching for the Phillies today?" A number of people laughed at the question, but given that most Cubs fans probably had never even heard of the Philadelphia Phillies, it was a necessary question.
I should shut up here........ but you are calling Cubs fans dumb by using the word "stupidest"?? That's funny!

Lip Man 1
08-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I enjoy Hawk even though I think his 'calling out' the media is ignorant, foolish and brings the organization down. But Jackson is a complete and total waste. Two people can step in right now and immediately raise the level of baseball intelligence in the Sox booth, both are articulate, speak well, have good voices and certainly know the game...Bill Melton and Tommy John.

Lip

sendimjoey
08-15-2004, 11:32 PM
In 2000, I went without cable for about five or six weeks, so I listened to John Rooney and Ed Farmer (I moved about a week after the Seven Days of Glory trip to Cleveland and New York). The first day I had cable back, I flipped on the game, and I simply couldn't listen to Hawk and DJ anymore. Now, I mute the TV and listen to Rooney and Farmer. I'm fine with Hawk's home run call. The semi-literate "He Gawn" is kind of growing on me since they play it in the stadium. But in general, I got tired of Hawk's catch-phrases. DJ is barely even there. I also think Hawk is a stooge for Jerry Reinsdorf.

It's just personal taste, I guess, because Rooney and Farmer have plenty of catchphrases, too, my current favorite being, "Thank you, Ben Davis!" And they certainly are complimentary of the Sox organization, understandable since that's who signs their checks. I just think it's not so over the top, but then, that's just Hawk's personality. When I listen to Rooney and Farmer, I love the "Seinfeld" references, the daily salute to Dodgers announcer Ross Porter and, especially, when Rooney imitates other teams' broadcasters, sometimes as Farmer runs down the scoreboard. Other times, it's during game action, such as a strikeout looking: "He stood there like the house alongside the road, and watched it go by," Rooney will say, imitating the great Ernie Harwell. Great stuff, to me anyway.

All that said, I think Chip Caray is the definition of the word nepotism. He seems to barely know what's going on. I think Steve Stone is pretty sharp, although his jokes are awful and his tone of voice is pretty annoying. But Stone does a good job of laying out the options and predicting what will happen, be it pitch sequence, use of relievers or hit-and-run/steal situations. Pat Hughes is OK, nothing special, and he's working with a huge handicap -- Ron Santo.

Joe Morgan can be an arrogant tool, but he has his redeeming qualities, such as when he talks about the way players react in different situations, what a hitter might be looking for. He's less annoying than Tim McCarver, although again, I'd say McCarver mostly knows what he's talking about. Steve Lyons is terrible. He was completely outclassed last year during the NLCS by the Mets' Al Leiter, who has a great career ahead of him as a broadcaster. ESPN's analysts are the worst. The next time Jeff Brantley or Rick Sutcliffe says something intelligent will be the first time. Chris Berman is a Sox hater; the feeling is mutual. The one ESPN analyst who is pretty good is Tony Gwynn, but I'm not even sure if he's still doing games.

OK, I'll shut up now.

inta
08-16-2004, 12:30 AM
I have a love/hate thing with hawk.
i love his fire, he defines old school to me.

but him acting as JR's attack dog is just lame. and after reading the thread about the crap he pulled on Fisk back in the 80's... I just lost so much respect for the guy.

DJ is fine with me, but if we got a new TV announce team, that would be fine with me.

I must be crazy though, coz i love Rooney/Farmer. maybe coz i listened to them exclusively all of 2000/2001... they just have a perfect lazy summer night of baseball type vibe going on.

Dolanski
08-16-2004, 01:30 AM
I like Hawk and DJ, but I can see how other teams can get pissed at them. They are biased, and they tend to ramble on especially about golf, but I like the pace in which they do games and I like Hawk's anecdotes and his ruminations about hitting and baseball in general. I am probably not a good judge of this since I am just used to them, but I do agree that Farmer and Rooney are better and if I didn't live far away, I would watch the game and listen to the radio.

Steve Stone does work for the Cubs, but he is by far and away one of the better announcers around. He knows his stuff. But pairing him with Chip Carey is a travesty. Carey is atrocious, and rides the coattails of his grandfather. Just bad. Furthermore, the 7th inning crap they pull interviewing the latest celebrity is downright disgusting. The baseball game takes a back seat to their ramblings about so and sos new movie or book or whatever. Great, I thought this was baseball, not The View. Still, give credit to the Cubs camera guys for always finding the hot girls when they cut to commercials.

The Red Sox guys are really good, the Yankee guys just plain suck. No one compares to Vin Scully, he does all the games by himself.

All I can say after all this is that the baseball package on Directv is one of the greatest inventions ever.

SSN721
08-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Jon Miller and Harry Kalas are two of my favorite voices in broadcasting. I could listen to Harry Kalas announce just about anything and it would be a joy, there has never been a more perfect broadcast voice I have ever heard. Those two to me are definitely the standard, and while I agree that Hawk is not at the same level as those two, he is still a fantastic broadcaster to me. I like Rooney and Farmer an awful lot too. Hawk to me is just part of a game. Even when I go to games I miss hearing his call to go along with the game. I dont really think he is horribly biased, he never shys away from ripping the Sox if someone is performing poorly on the field and he is never short of praise and stories about the opposing teams.

OurBitchinMinny
08-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Hawk has slipped a great deal and DJ has always been awful Hawk and wimpy were great. Hawk seems like a bitter old man to me now. I still love his HR calls, but if he worked for another team Im sure he would piss me off. Still better than chip caray and dick bremer (twins)

HITMEN OF 77
08-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Hawk and DJ are the best in the business. The Boston fans are upset because they wish they had Hawk in there booth. They feel that since his best days as a player were in Boston that he should be loyal to them and work for them. It really pssszzz them off.

HITMEN OF 77
08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
I enjoy Hawk even though I think his 'calling out' the media is ignorant, foolish and brings the organization down. But Jackson is a complete and total waste. Two people can step in right now and immediately raise the level of baseball intelligence in the Sox booth, both are articulate, speak well, have good voices and certainly know the game...Bill Melton and Tommy John.

Lip
Is Tommy John part of the Sox organization in any form?

Baby Fisk
08-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I agree that it's all a matter of jealousy. If Hawk made those flamboyant calls for any other team, I would hate him.

Vin Scully, yes!
Tom Seaver, yes!

Tim McCarver, no!
Yankee YES-men, no!

If there's one individual who truly deserves to be hated, it should be...

:morgan
"I invented baseball."

Lip Man 1
08-16-2004, 12:26 PM
No. In fact I just found out yesterday from talking with Billy Pierce that TJ is apparently the manager (for some reason) of one of the Yankee farm teams in the East.

Lip

Ubei
08-16-2004, 12:53 PM
Hawk has his flaws (stop.with.the.bitterness.campaign.against.Manuel. Beane.Moronatti.pronto.its.unbecoming), but I still sometimes find him to be an endearing, entertaining eccentric with a unique if occasionally eye-rolling angle on the game of baseball. A White Sox institution is damn right.

The Pauses of Doom don't bother me. (My enjoyment of the broadcast doesn't depend on annoncers' constant yammering. I have two eyes and ears and know the game very well, thank you very much.) The key is knowing how to interpret Hawk's silences - when a player screws up or doesn't give effort, Hawk won't condemn him outloud but you can pretty much tell that he is super-PO'd.

Now imagine a soul-less mercenary like Joe Buck or Josh Lewin. They don't understand the game. They don't give a **** about anything other than their careers when you dig a little deeper. All kinds of bland.

Oh and his hilarious interactions w. Feisty, who is just the right shade of incompetent-but-earnest.....bless our homers! :bandance:

balke
08-16-2004, 01:30 PM
I think it would be easy to hate Hawk and DJ if you're not a sox fan. Hawk does a very intimate broadcast of the sox, he talks to them when they are up to bat for god's sake. "Come on Joe, nice and easy buddy. Breathe in, breath out, wax on, wax off".

Cool to listen to if a true sox fan, hard to stomach if you are on the opposition. And if the Red Sox game is on WGN, it might not be on where they are, so they are forced to listen to hawk and DJ. This is much like us hating Steve Stone. He's easy to hate, but easy to love if you're a cubs fan, cause he's a genius, and says some really mean/funny things during the broadcast.

But I don't think Hawk and DJ are necessarily biased, they love good ballplayers. THey complimented manny's batting all week, even though everyone knows that guys bad for baseball, and Hawk basically drools all over himself when we play against rocco baldelli, or Brad Radke.

Hawk is our commentating as far as I'm concerned. DJ sucks, lame, pessimistic, bad at interviews, boring rambles. He's gotten better, but still sucks.

Paulwny
08-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Agreed.... Harry Kalas is one of the all-time best. I'd take Stone over DJ too. DJ is terrible. Hawk is okay, but I get no visions of Kalas, Vin Scully or Ernie Harwell when listening to Hawk.

I think the Sox broadcast is middle of the pack, at best.

Ernie Harwell, the best I've ever heard. He was saying "can of corn" that Hawk uses and "stood there by the side of the road... " that Farmer's now using over 40 yrs ago.
You have to be the best when other announcers start stealing your lines.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Ernie Harwell, the best I've ever heard. He was saying "can of corn" that Hawk uses and "stood there by the side of the road... " that Farmer's now using over 40 yrs ago.
I've heard both Hawk and Vin Scully use "bow your neck". Who came up with that one? And what the hell does it mean anyway?

SOXSINCE'70
08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Harry Kalas is one of the best baseball announcers I have ever listened to.
Amen!!

Rex Hudler
08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Funny thing is that I knew Harry Kalas' voice from NFL Films before I realized he was the Phillies broadcaster several years ago. His voice on NFL Films is one of the most recognizable anywhere.

sendimjoey
08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
I don't know whether to credit Harwell with "can of corn." I think that one goes back a long time, then again, so does Harwell. I've read that it comes from a practice of grocery stock boys tipping over a can of corn that was way high on the shelf and catching the can, which is falling nearly straight down at that point.

Farmer and Rooney always credit Harwell with "stood there like the house alongside the road" when they use it.

Shoot. No game to listen to tonight. :(: I know, they need the day off.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2004, 05:19 PM
If I may state my opinions...

I'm sick of everyone--even Sox fans--saying how good Steve Stone is. He has no personality, no charisma, an annoying high pitched monotone voice and like others here have stated, he says predictable things that, to the casual fan, probably makes him look like a wizard of the game. "He'll probably see a breaking ball in the dirt here."..."Dang! How'd he know what the dude was gonna throw?!"
DJ has no balls whatsoever. I think we should check his background to see if he was in any cults because he just cannot disagree with Hawk. And when he begins to go in that direction he's tentative and unsure of himself. Of course some of that is Hawk's fault for being an overbearing jerk (which he seems to be at times).
This is not to imply that I don't like Hawk. I'm infuriated by the snobby ESPN Hawk ripping that seems to have become a daily feature. They played his "Come on Timo!" call last week and one of the punks was like "the Hawk, always objective." Oh, sorry, moron, but this isn't a generalized, watered-down national broadcast we're talking about. If you want objectivity, listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver -- unless, of course any New York team is on the field. On a side note, hearing McCarvers big, proclaiming, preachy, drawn-out Southern accent is enough to beg for grim death. If I just hear him say the phrase "New York Yankees" one more time....

Dolanski
08-16-2004, 11:30 PM
I remember the 95(?) World Series when the Braves finally won one. McCarver spent the WHOLE WS riding Deion Sanders because he was too flashy, not a gamer, blah blah blah. I am not a huge Deion fan mind you, but the best was when they won it, McCarver was in the locker room and Sanders kept coming up to him as he interview people and dumping or spraying champagne in his face. He end it by calling Deion a "class act." It was hilarious. McCarver was fuming and he couldn't do a damn thing because he was on TV. It was nice to see one of these opinionated jerks get what he deserved.

SoxFan76
08-16-2004, 11:32 PM
If I may state my opinions...

I'm sick of everyone--even Sox fans--saying how good Steve Stone is. He has no personality, no charisma, an annoying high pitched monotone voice and like others here have stated, he says predictable things that, to the casual fan, probably makes him look like a wizard of the game. "He'll probably see a breaking ball in the dirt here."..."Dang! How'd he know what the dude was gonna throw?!"
DJ has no balls whatsoever. I think we should check his background to see if he was in any cults because he just cannot disagree with Hawk. And when he begins to go in that direction he's tentative and unsure of himself. Of course some of that is Hawk's fault for being an overbearing jerk (which he seems to be at times).
This is not to imply that I don't like Hawk. I'm infuriated by the snobby ESPN Hawk ripping that seems to have become a daily feature. They played his "Come on Timo!" call last week and one of the punks was like "the Hawk, always objective." Oh, sorry, moron, but this isn't a generalized, watered-down national broadcast we're talking about. If you want objectivity, listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver -- unless, of course any New York team is on the field. On a side note, hearing McCarvers big, proclaiming, preachy, drawn-out Southern accent is enough to beg for grim death. If I just hear him say the phrase "New York Yankees" one more time....

I agree with everything you said there. Stone sucks, DJ sucks, Hawk is the man. End of story.

doublem23
08-16-2004, 11:39 PM
The link in the first post of this thread is Exhibit #4,238,927,172,718,274,201,093,781,017 on why Red Sox fans are ****ing morons.

jordan23ventura
08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
On a related note, why does Hawk seem to get such a bad reputation, even around here, for being JR's mouthpiece?

I was just thinking about that. Everyone seems to love him but why does he get ripped so much. He always ssticks up for the Sox players, fans, and organization as a whole. Sometimes you can hear him getting frustrated (i.e. 2003 w/ Manuel) but for the most part he keeps his cool even when he's on the verge of snapping. And when he rips into a terrible reporter or two, or talks highly about one player or another, what's the big deal?

Even if JR told Hawk what to say half the time, I'd just like to remind everyone what you do at your job, and how one goes about making a career for himself. This isn't pro-wrestling. If your boss tells you to do something, you don't flick him off, kick him in the stomach, give him a Stone Cold Stunner and drink a beer! You "bow your neck," swallow your pride, and go to work. "Sinch it up and hunker down," or whatever that means.

Not to stray too far off topic here, but I figured someone would say something about this anyway since it always seems to come up on any thread on Hawk.

sendimjoey
08-17-2004, 12:29 PM
J23V, I said it earlier in this thread -- Hawk is JR's stooge, or at least he has been on the now-rare occasions when I have to listen to him, as I prefer to mute the TV and listen to the radio broadcasts. No doubt, Rooney and Farmer say nice things about JR and for the reason you cite -- he's their boss. But Hawk is just so over the top about it. His Reinsdorf-related feud with Mariotti doesn't help. It's giving that jerk exactly what he wants -- more publicity. In my experience -- and as I wrote earlier in this thread, I haven't regularly listened to the TV guys in four years -- Hawk makes JR sound like he walks on water. Didn't Hawk start all this with Mariotti at Sox Fest?

I don't hate Reinsdorf. I think the easiest thing in the world of Chicago sports journalism is to bash him. But I don't want him glorified, either.

hawkeyesrule
08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
For the record, I think Hawk is by far the best in the business. I really enjoy sitting down with my buddies, watching a Sox game, and calling it along with him! Sometimes, we go so far as to use a catch phrase in every day life...inside jokes that only Sox fans get. I could do without DJ, I think he is a good guy, but I don't care for his announcing one bit. I'd like someone who brought more personality to the booth. I'd love to pair Chip Caray and DJ for a game and just laugh at both of them the entire time!

As for JR, it's possible that Hawk genuinely likes the guy and doesn't want to see him ripped all over the place. I can only assume Hawk knows him better than any of us or the media do...