PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenario: Olympic Baseball

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 01:12 PM
This topic has been a subject of debate in recent years, and now that the 2004 Olympics are under way, the idea of forming an Olympic baseball team has once again become a topic of discussion. Thus, I started thinking about how it could be made possible for Major League Baseball to send a team to the Summer Olympics, without cutting into the baseball season.

Start the Season Early

The Olympics are several weeks long, thus, finding a way to schedule normal MLB games becomes a problem, given that the normal baseball season runs from April-October. The most reasonable solution to the problem is start the season early. Have pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training two weeks earlier than normal. This would move the start of the regular season forward two weeks, placing it in mid-March.

The next phase in the project involves the selection of the individuals who will comprise the United States team. Obviously, only players who are originally from the United States, or US territories, are eligible to be a part of the team. This limits the number of individuals who may be selected to the team, but selecting US-born players is not a problem.

Player Selection Process

The US team roster will be comprised of forty spots, which the team's manager may allocate to the appropriate number of pitchers, catchers, and position players that he deems necessary to be part of the team. As is the case in the All Star selection process, at least one player from each Major League team must be chosen. In order to avoid stacking the team with players from one organization, the maximum number of players eligible from a given team is two.

The following list includes the players that I would select to comprise the United States team:

Anaheim Angels: Chone Figgins, Troy Glaus

Arizona Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson

Atlanta Braves: J.D. Drew, John Smoltz

Baltimore Orioles: Jerry Hairston

Boston Red Sox: Curt Schilling

Chicago Cubs: Mark Prior

Chicago White Sox: Mark Buehrle, Frank Thomas

Cincinnati Reds: Adam Dunn

Cleveland Indians: C.C. Sabathia

Colorado Rockies: Todd Helton

Detroit Tigers: Dmitri Young

Florida Marlins: Paul LoDuca, Dontrelle Willis

Houston Astros: Lance Berkman,Roger Clemens

Kansas City Royals: Ken Harvey

Los Angeles Dodgers: Milton Bradley

Milwaukee Brewers: Scott Podsednik, Ben Sheets

Minnesota Twins: Torii Hunter

Montreal Expos: Brad Wilkerson

New York Mets: Mike Piazza

New York Yankees: Alex Rodriguez

Oakland Athletics: Mark Mulder

Philadelphia Phillies: Jimmy Rollins

Pittsburgh Pirates: Jason Kendall, Jack Wilson

San Diego Padres: Brian Giles

San Francisco Giants: Barry Bonds, Jason Schmidt

Seattle Mariners: Jamie Moyer

St. Louis Cardinals: Jim Edmonds,Scott Rolen

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Roco Baldelli

Texas Rangers: Hank Blalock, Michael Young

Toronto Blue Jays: Vernon Wells

OurBitchinMinny
08-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Id take PK over thomas. Is there a DH in olympic play? Otherwise there is no way you can take thomas

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Id take PK over thomas. Is there a DH in olympic play? Otherwise there is no way you can take thomas
seeing as how he played today..id take Clee over thomas:tongue:

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Thomas can play 1st. Don't believe everything the Trib tells you. He runs better than Konerko, he's a better hitter, he just can't throw.

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Frank can play first base. Will the advocates of the 3-6-3 double-play please shut up?

SoxFan76
08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Frank can play first base. Will the advocates of the 3-6-3 double-play please shut up?
Great minds think alike.

HomeFish
08-15-2004, 04:39 PM
he just can't throw.

Sounds like a first baseman to me.

Blob
08-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah, let's start the season in mid-March becasue it's not cold enough in April. Geesh!

Daver
08-15-2004, 05:11 PM
There are only 24 roster spots on an Olympic team.

Harris=God
08-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Id send Manny over Bonds

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 06:14 PM
There are only 24 roster spots on an Olympic team.
This was a hypothetical situation. Thus, more roster sports were availible. :smile:

RKMeibalane
08-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Id send Manny over Bonds
I forgot where Manny is from. Under the rules I came up with, he would only be eligible if he's from a territory that falls under US control.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
The MLBPA and the office of the comissioner are working towards a World Cup to start next March held in Southern U.S. cities or domed stadiums.

This looks like a reality so it's safe to say you will never see MLB shut down for three weeks in August so players can participate in the Olympics.

Besides the next vote of the general council of the Olympics will probably end baseball as a sport, it's on the endangered list. Can't have it clogging up all those great events like synchonized swimming, ballroom dancing and badmitton.

Lip

MRKARNO
08-15-2004, 08:45 PM
I forgot where Manny is from. Under the rules I came up with, he would only be eligible if he's from a territory that falls under US control.
Manny recently became a US Citizen

Jerko
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
I don't know; seeing us get murdered in one "American" sport every 4 years because we send great individual athletes who can't function together as a team is enough for me. Funny, the only team sport (from the big 4) that the US is consistent in anymore is hockey. (Gold in the last World cup and Juniors, Silver in the last Olympics.) Don't worry, though; if the basketball team doesn't win gold, you can rest assured our best players will be there for the next Olympics; that's how the original Dream Team came about after all.

inta
08-16-2004, 09:53 AM
seeing as how he played today..id take Clee over thomas:tongue:
wouldn't Clee play for panama though?

OurBitchinMinny
08-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Frank can play first base. Will the advocates of the 3-6-3 double-play please shut up?Frank cannot play first base. Last time he did with regularity he tore up his biceps and it caused his career to start to go downhill. I mean geez he somehow got hurt playing DH. Thats hard to do. He would get hurt in a week if he was a 1b. And even when healthy he is painful to watch over there

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-16-2004, 12:50 PM
wouldn't Clee play for panama though?

would he? :?:

SoxFan76
08-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Frank cannot play first base. Last time he did with regularity he tore up his biceps and it caused his career to start to go downhill. I mean geez he somehow got hurt playing DH. Thats hard to do. He would get hurt in a week if he was a 1b. And even when healthy he is painful to watch over there
Uh, sorry bud. He played first base his entire career until Jerry Manuel came. His 2 MVP seasons, he played 1st. He plays first just fine. He was an All-American football player, so he has athletic ability. He is twice the athlete Konerko is. Once again, don't believe what the Trib/Cub fans/ESPN tells you. He is a good (not great) first baseman, he's not as slow as people make him out to be, and he is not a clubhouse cancer. (Even though that has nothing to do with what we are talking about :rolleyes: )

And when did his career go downhill? He still is good for a .450 OBP, 100 RBI, 100 runs and 40 HRs. So his average went down, oh well. He's a number 3 or 4 hitter. I'd like to see the Frank of old, but the current Frank is still one of the top offensive players in the league.

BTW, I'm a big Konerko fan. I wasn't trying to rip on him for saying Frank is twice the athlete, it's just the truth.

SoxFan76
08-16-2004, 02:54 PM
would he? :?:
Probably. That's the thing if there was Olympic baseball, most players are from foreign countries. But the US still has a ton of good players, and could probably dominate all the other countries. The Latin countries produce some great players, but as a team it would be a few great players and a bunch of schmucks. And if we had a US team, we couldn't have SHINGO!!!

DoggPhood
08-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Actually, it should be Carl Crawford instead of Rocco Baldelli from the D-Rays. :rolleyes:

StockdaleForVeep
08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
This topic has been a subject of debate in recent years, and now that the 2004 Olympics are under way, the idea of forming an Olympic baseball team has once again become a topic of discussion. Thus, I started thinking about how it could be made possible for Major League Baseball to send a team to the Summer Olympics, without cutting into the baseball season.

Start the Season Early

The Olympics are several weeks long, thus, finding a way to schedule normal MLB games becomes a problem, given that the normal baseball season runs from April-October. The most reasonable solution to the problem is start the season early. Have pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training two weeks earlier than normal. This would move the start of the regular season forward two weeks, placing it in mid-March.

The next phase in the project involves the selection of the individuals who will comprise the United States team. Obviously, only players who are originally from the United States, or US territories, are eligible to be a part of the team. This limits the number of individuals who may be selected to the team, but selecting US-born players is not a problem.

Player Selection Process

The US team roster will be comprised of forty spots, which the team's manager may allocate to the appropriate number of pitchers, catchers, and position players that he deems necessary to be part of the team. As is the case in the All Star selection process, at least one player from each Major League team must be chosen. In order to avoid stacking the team with players from one organization, the maximum number of players eligible from a given team is two.

The following list includes the players that I would select to comprise the United States team:

Anaheim Angels: Chone Figgins, Troy Glaus

Arizona Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson

Atlanta Braves: J.D. Drew, John Smoltz

Baltimore Orioles: Jerry Hairston

Boston Red Sox: Curt Schilling

Chicago Cubs: Mark Prior

Chicago White Sox: Mark Buehrle, Frank Thomas

Cincinnati Reds: Adam Dunn

Cleveland Indians: C.C. Sabathia

Colorado Rockies: Todd Helton

Detroit Tigers: Dmitri Young

Florida Marlins: Paul LoDuca, Dontrelle Willis

Houston Astros: Lance Berkman,Roger Clemens

Kansas City Royals: Ken Harvey

Los Angeles Dodgers: Milton Bradley

Milwaukee Brewers: Scott Podsednik, Ben Sheets

Minnesota Twins: Torii Hunter

Montreal Expos: Brad Wilkerson

New York Mets: Mike Piazza

New York Yankees: Alex Rodriguez

Oakland Athletics: Mark Mulder

Philadelphia Phillies: Jimmy Rollins

Pittsburgh Pirates: Jason Kendall, Jack Wilson

San Diego Padres: Brian Giles

San Francisco Giants: Barry Bonds, Jason Schmidt

Seattle Mariners: Jamie Moyer

St. Louis Cardinals: Jim Edmonds,Scott Rolen

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Roco Baldelli

Texas Rangers: Hank Blalock, Michael Young

Toronto Blue Jays: Vernon Wells

This will never happen due to the players union. This is also why Japan and other nations refuse to have the proposed world cup baseball tournament in america because the players union stated they want 1\3 or some amount of the money to go to the union.