PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac is one of us...

Dolanski
08-15-2004, 10:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1858777

Clubhouse confidential article that interviews Bernie Mac. Gotta love the comments he makes about not rooting for the Cubs because they aren't an "underdog." I guess there is a famous Sox fan after all.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I don't know, he jumped on the cubs bandwagon last season. He did Take me out to the ballgame at wrigley in game 6 of the NLCS vs the marlins. He started the choke by saying root root root for the CHAMPS instead of cubs. :D:

Edit: After reading the comments from him, I love Bernie mac! HE did some criticizing of the sox/cubs the coverage in this town. :smile:

MarqSox
08-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't know, he jumped on the cubs bandwagon last season. He did Take me out to the ballgame at wrigley in game 6 of the NLCS vs the marlins. He started the choke by saying root root root for the CHAMPS instead of cubs. :D:
There's a lot of Cubs fans out there that think that was the real jinx ... don't forget, it proceeded Bartman and the Alex Gonzalez error by one inning. So, whether Bernie intended to jinx them or not, thanks Bernie. :cool:

DickAllen72
08-15-2004, 12:08 PM
There's a lot of Cubs fans out there that think that was the real jinx ... don't forget, it proceeded Bartman and the Alex Gonzalez error by one inning. So, whether Bernie intended to jinx them or not, thanks Bernie. :cool:

WHOOOOOOO!!! Say it with me.
:bandance:

hsnterprize
08-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Edit: After reading the comments from him, I love Bernie mac! HE did some criticizing of the sox/cubs the coverage in this town. :smile: I really won't be convinced unless he retracts comments he made during the Cubs playoff run last year. He told local news reporters things like "being a Sox fan is like being with an ugly girl who gives good sex.", and "the White Sox can go to hell." He was one of many who said we Chicagoans should support BOTH teams, and he seemingly forsook his allegiance to the Sox. So unless I personally hear him say all that wasn't the truth, I couldn't care less.

Palehose13
08-15-2004, 12:37 PM
I really won't be convinced unless he retracts comments he made during the Cubs playoff run last year. He told local news reporters things like "being a Sox fan is like being with an ugly girl who gives good sex.", and "the White Sox can go to hell." He was one of many who said we Chicagoans should support BOTH teams, and he seemingly forsook his allegiance to the Sox. So unless I personally hear him say all that wasn't the truth, I couldn't care less.
I agree with you 100%. It's one thing to have jumped on the cubbie bandwagon last year, but to say what he said...no Sox fan should be forgving.

Besides, does anyone else take offense to what he said in the article about what it is like to go to a Sox game (location of the ballpark)? The Sox don't need "fans" like him.

hsnterprize
08-15-2004, 01:18 PM
I agree with you 100%. It's one thing to have jumped on the cubbie bandwagon last year, but to say what he said...no Sox fan should be forgving.

Besides, does anyone else take offense to what he said in the article about what it is like to go to a Sox game (location of the ballpark)? The Sox don't need "fans" like him. Ditto. Look...I'm for Hollywood celebrities sticking up for the Sox and all, but Bernie's ridiculous sometimes. If it takes someone like him to get the Sox noticed more on a casual stage nationwide, then I'd rather root for an "anonymous" team.

Now, in fairness to him, he was interviewed a lot on TV last year, and he was pretty candid and down-to-earth about his south-side upbringing and such. I thought his comments were very candid, touching, and heartwarming. Underneath all that smart-aleck-style wit he uses in his acts and TV shows is a guy who works very hard to entertain an audience, and those who worked with him can attest to that. So obviously, he's a VERY good entertainer. He even talked about his rooting for the Sox during his youth like he mentions in the linked article. However, when the Cubs were in their playoff run, and seemingly God Himself became a Cub fan, Bernie was like a lot of others...jumping on the Cubs' bandwagon, and acting like he wanted NOTHING to do with the White Sox. So like I said before, unless Bernie Mac publicly says his pro-Cubbie comments were all a bunch of bandwagoning hype, I'm not interested in what he has to say.

pinwheels3530
08-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Bernie Mac was a cub fans last year during the playoffs like every Fox celebrity to help them promote their show on the network. I just didn't like how he said on TV that the sox went out like suckers right before he went into Wrigley before game 6, adding salt to a open wound at the time.

OurBitchinMinny
08-15-2004, 02:09 PM
You cant be a cub fan at any point and still be a sox fan. bernie mac is not a sox fan

SOXPHILE
08-15-2004, 09:53 PM
What everybody'd saying about Bernie Mac being a bandwagon jumper with last year's Cubs is correct. I remember hearing and reading things about him that, on more than one occasion mentioned his being a White Sox fan, and thinking that was pretty cool. Then, lo and behold, there he was in that disgusting Cubby blue jacket and hat during last year's playoffs, even if he did say "champs" instead of "Cubs" during the 7th inning stretch. Right then, I unfortunatly had to lump him in with all the other phony celebreties and bandwagon jumpers who all of a sudden realize that they've been Cub fans "Their entire life". Earlier threads referenced John Cusack on this same thing. He gave interviews years ago saying how he grew up in Evanston, a big fan and rooting on the WHITE SOX, Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks. Then, all of a sudden, that knob is at all the Cub games, getting drooled on by Chip Carey.

LuvSox
08-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Are you sure he said CHAMPS? I can't understand a damn thing he says.

Side note: His best acting performance was on the dvd Badder Santa. He gets his head squished under the tire on the midgets van. Check out the deleted scenes.

WinningUgly!
08-15-2004, 10:23 PM
The title of this thread is making me sick. He had a Cubby-chubby last year & there is no longer a spot for him on the White Sox bandwagon.

I've never suffered through an episode of his TV show, but every time I see him in the IL Lotto-30th Anniversary commercial, I want that big guy behind the counter to reach out & smack him.

Dolanski
08-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Sorry to bring up a bad moment from last fall. I refused to watch baseball when the Cubs made the playoffs and the Sox didn't, so I wasn't party to his bandwagon jumping.

At least the mayor has always been faithful to the Chisox...I think.

hsnterprize
08-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Sorry to bring up a bad moment from last fall. I refused to watch baseball when the Cubs made the playoffs and the Sox didn't, so I wasn't party to his bandwagon jumping.

At least the mayor has always been faithful to the Chisox...I think.Hizzoner, 'da Mare has been faithful to the Sox. He "respects the Cubs" which is fine...I do to, but not to the point where I'd root for them. Not to mention, he's a politician, and he has to be diplomatic in situations where the Cubs are doing well and the Sox aren't.

However, I plan on asking him if he would tell Cubs fans to "get a life" if they don't drop they're "divisiveness" and support the Sox if the pale hose make the playoffs and the Cubs don't.

Unfortunately for Richie Daley, he HAS to show respect for the Cubs when he's among a Cubbie-friendly crowd. But he does swipe in some Sox love...much to the chagrin of the Cubs lovers. But great for us.

hsnterprize
08-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Are you sure he said CHAMPS? I can't understand a damn thing he says.

Side note: His best acting performance was on the dvd Badder Santa. He gets his head squished under the tire on the midgets van. Check out the deleted scenes. Yes he did. When he sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during game 7 of the NLCS, he distinctively said, "So let's root...root, root for the champs...CHAMPS...". In fact, when WGN was lamenting the loss the next morning, they played that part of the song over and over again, and used that as part of the blame on why the Cubs blew a late-game lead and the pennant.

doublem23
08-17-2004, 09:49 AM
This little flip flopper... He did an interview with ESPN The Magazine a few years back where he said he was a raised a Sox fan, but switched his fandom a while ago because the Sox traded Sosa to the Cubs and "he plays the game right."

rwcescato
08-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I really won't be convinced unless he retracts comments he made during the Cubs playoff run last year. He told local news reporters things like "being a Sox fan is like being with an ugly girl who gives good sex.", and "the White Sox can go to hell." He was one of many who said we Chicagoans should support BOTH teams, and he seemingly forsook his allegiance to the Sox. So unless I personally hear him say all that wasn't the truth, I couldn't care less.
Bernie mac is a front runner. After saying and living in the southside and declaring he was a sox fan, he changed his mind and denounced the sox last year and said he always loved the flubs.

Hangar18
08-17-2004, 03:15 PM

At least the mayor has always been faithful to the Chisox...I think.
YES, BMac jumped on the bandwagon with all of the other flubby blue fans ....
and guess what happens when Too Many People Get on the Wagon? The Wheels Broke Off from the Weight of History and Media Expectations, heh heh.

Screw Bernie, I dont want to see him at Comiskey anytime soon. Hizzoner
has been faithful to the SOX, would make his old man proud. I dont exactly Agree with a lot of the things Da Mayor does, but you know what?
Hes Still One of Us ........

ewokpelts
08-17-2004, 03:46 PM
YES, BMac jumped on the bandwagon with all of the other flubby blue fans ....
and guess what happens when Too Many People Get on the Wagon? The Wheels Broke Off from the Weight of History and Media Expectations, heh heh.

Screw Bernie, I dont want to see him at Comiskey anytime soon. Hizzoner
has been faithful to the SOX, would make his old man proud. I dont exactly Agree with a lot of the things Da Mayor does, but you know what?
Hes Still One of Us ........Henry,
Where have you(and your media reports) been for so long?
Gene

he_gone_89
08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Yes he did. When he sang "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during game 7 of the NLCS, he distinctively said, "So let's root...root, root for the champs...CHAMPS...". In fact, when WGN was lamenting the loss the next morning, they played that part of the song over and over again, and used that as part of the blame on why the Cubs blew a late-game lead and the pennant.
if he said root root for the champs then he was rooting for the marlins,eh?