PDA

View Full Version : This Day In Sox History 8/15

Lip Man 1
08-14-2004, 11:54 PM
This Date In Sox History 8/15

8-15-59: Sox 1 @ K.C. 2 - It was not a good night for the Sox all the way around in this tight loss to the Athletics. Billy Pierce had to leave the game in the second inning with a hip injury, he wouldn’t pitch again until Labor Day and a rare Sox base running mistake proved costly. ‘Jungle’ Jim Rivera broke late from third on a suicide squeeze bunt by Jim McAnany and got caught in a rally killing rundown. Always known for his whit, Rivera afterwards, disputed the notion that he missed the sign. "I got the sign...I just forgot to run!" Wonder what Al Lopez had to say about that? Sox record 69-44, three and a half game lead.

8-15-65: Sox 7 @ Bost. 4 - Tommy John picked up his 11th win against only five losses thanks to a pair of RBI’s each from Danny Cater and Floyd Robinson. Cater had a two run home run. The Sox moved to a respectable 63-51 but were ten games behind the Orioles.

8-15-82: Sox 6 N.Y. 4 - The Sox would rally in this one, getting four in the eight inning to pull it out. Steve Kemp had a bases loaded double off ‘Goose’ Gossage for the key hit. Dennis Lamp got the win in relief. The Sox moved to 63-52 and were only three games out.

8-15-83: Sox 1 @ N.Y. 0 - The start of a key road trip saw a brilliant performance from Britt Burns. He tossed a complete game, three hit shut out to get the win. The only run of the game scored on a first inning sacrifice fly from Tom Paciorek. Sox record 63-53, five games in the lead.

8-15-90: Sox 4 Tor. 3 - Sammy Sosa’s home run in the 5th inning would be the difference in this one as Jack McDowell threw a strong eight innings. Bobby Thigpen finished it off. The Sox moved to twenty games over .500 at 67-47 but still trailed Oakland by six games.

Lip

A.T. Money
08-15-2004, 12:46 AM
8/15 is a good day. It's my B-day! :happybday

:dtroll: :supernana:

PaulDrake
08-15-2004, 08:02 AM
I've thought for a long time that everyone has become way too anal about pitch counts in recent years. That being said overuse of a long time star pitcher may have cost the Sox dearly in 1959. On August 6 Billy Pierce pitched 16 innings of one run ball against Baltimore in a game then ended up being a 1-1 tie after 18 innings. In his very next start on August 11 Pierce was shelled and then on August 15 he went down with the hip injury. He spent three weeks on the disabled list. While he was gone the Sox made great strides, including that epic four game sweep of the Indians late in August. When Pierce returned to the rotation on Sept 7 he beat Ned Garver and the A's 2-1. After that his performance was uneven. He won a big game against the Yanks on 9-15, but was rocked in his last two starts to finish the year an uncharacteristic 14-15. Keep in mind that Billy had been the winningest pitcher in the AL from 55-58 and was second only to Warren Spahn of the Braves I believe in that time period. In any case, Al Lopez decided to put Pierce on the shelf for the entire 59 WS, using him only for occasional mop up duty. He even started Early Wynn on two days rest in game 6, bypassing Pierce. Three years later Billy Pierce showed once and for all what a big game pitcher he was, shutting out Sandy Koufax in game one of a three game playoff with the Dodgers, and then pitching a complete game three hitter in game 6 of the WS against the Yanks. I've read dozens of interviews with Pierce, but nobody to my knowledge has ever asked him about the 16 inning game and the injury that followed shortly after. Billy Pierce not getting a start in the 59 WS was equivalent to Walter Payton not being given an opportunity to run for a touchdown in Super Bowl 20. At least the Bears won that game rather convincingly.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Paul:

I'll call Billy this week and ask him for you. I'll try to post what he says.

Lip

hsnterprize
08-15-2004, 01:21 PM
8/15 is a good day. It's my B-day! :happybday

:dtroll: :supernana:Happy Birthday, pal. Hopefully, our Sox can put it on the board and win column in Beantown for you.

PaulDrake
08-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Paul:

I'll call Billy this week and ask him for you. I'll try to post what he says.

Lip Thanks, that would be real nice.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Paul:
Spoke with Billy tonight for you. First off he was amazed that today marked the 45th anniversary of the injury. I mentioned to him that was almost as long as I've been alive!

He said that you had a great question but that honestly he doesn't know if that was a factor. He said that he remembered the injury on his follow through and that a muscle in his hip was messed up. But he also said that it came around in a few weeks and that he was feeling good by the end of the year. Billy said he beat the Yankees towards the end of the season and that it didn't bother him a bit.

He also remembered that night in Baltimore going 16. I asked him how he felt that next day and he said fine. He said he remembered going to the ballpark and feeling OK, no problems although he also said that after 45 years you just can't remember exactly how you felt after doing something like that.

Sorry I couldn't pin it down completely for you.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
08-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Paul:
Spoke with Billy tonight for you. First off he was amazed that today marked the 45th anniversary of the injury. I mentioned to him that was almost as long as I've been alive!

He said that you had a great question but that honestly he doesn't know if that was a factor. He said that he remembered the injury on his follow through and that a muscle in his hip was messed up. But he also said that it came around in a few weeks and that he was feeling good by the end of the year. Billy said he beat the Yankees towards the end of the season and that it didn't bother him a bit.

He also remembered that night in Baltimore going 16. I asked him how he felt that next day and he said fine. He said he remembered going to the ballpark and feeling OK, no problems although he also said that after 45 years you just can't remember exactly how you felt after doing something like that.

Lip
I am in awe of the fact that you can simply call him up in a days notice. WOW! Lip, you must have many connections and contacts.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2004, 10:32 PM
I know a few folks....and that's one of the benefits of doing the monthly interviews. You treat the players right and they'll treat you right.

To be honest with you it still gives me a thrill when I talk to the guys that I grew up watching and cheering for. You'll never take the kid out of me.

By the way I'm almost done with the next interview. It's a guy who played infield for the Sox in the 80's and early 90's. I spoke with him for three hours last Wednesday.

Tremendous interview subject, lots of stories and good memories.

Lip

owensmouth
08-16-2004, 01:26 AM
I know a few folks....and that's one of the benefits of doing the monthly interviews. You treat the players right and they'll treat you right.

To be honest with you it still gives me a thrill when I talk to the guys that I grew up watching and cheering for. You'll never take the kid out of me.

By the way I'm almost done with the next interview. It's a guy who played infield for the Sox in the 80's and early 90's. I spoke with him for three hours last Wednesday.

Lip
Lip - There's another story that runs around here to the effect that Al Lopez was against Nellie Fox getting into the Hall of Fame. I was wondering if you could run that one past Billy and see what his take is on it? Honestly, to me it sounds like BS.

Thanks

PaulDrake
08-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Paul:

Lip South Carolina is a real far piece down the road from Idaho, so all I can do is give you a real big cyber thank you. In my mind I still have Billy starting and winning game 6 in 59, and then a more rested Wynn with Donovan and Shaw in reserve closing the deal. Foolishness I know but I'm a Sox fan so what else can I say? Billy Pierce, Minnie Minoso and Nellie Fox were the three main reasons I became a fan of the team at a very young age. Billy, in particular has never and will never get his just due, but many of us know what a great pitcher and competitor he was. More important, a very intelligent, witty, thoughtful and very decent guy. :gulp: To Lip and to Billy.

fuzzy_patters
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM

Lip
Can I guess? I guess it is either Steve Lyons, Fred Manrique, or Scott Fletcher.

By the way, Lip. You are great. It is awesome that you are able to provide these interviews.