PDA

View Full Version : Nl Wildcard

soxwon
08-15-2004, 12:52 AM
i know most dont care, especially when it concerns the FLUBS.
but talk about a lucky team.
The cubs have lost 2 series in a row, possibly 3 if La wins tommorow.
they are 5-5 over last 10
and they still are leading the WILD CARD by a game.
what the hell is wrong with SD and SF?
cant someobdy please pass the cubs and leave em in the dust.
also the cubs do not play another team with a winning record for the remainder of the year.
this sounds very rigged to me.

TDog
08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
A lot of people around the country seem to assume the Cubs will win the wild card. But the wild card is just that. Talking about who has the lead in the wild card in August is like talking about who has the division lead in May.

By definition, the wild card is a second-place team, of which there are three in each league. Usually, the wild card has the league's third-best record, although when the Cubs won it a few years ago, they were tied for the league's fourth-best record. The farther you go down in the standings, the tighter teams are bunched. That makes for a closer race with more teams involved.

What usually happens is the hottest second-place team in September surges ahead to win the wild card. Sometimes (as in the case of the Marlins and Angels) being hot enough to win that wild card invitation to the playoffs means being hot enough to win the World Series.

PatK
08-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Rigged???

It isn't any more rigged than the Sox having an easy schedule the last month of the season.

CHISOXFAN13
08-18-2004, 12:23 PM
i know most dont care, especially when it concerns the FLUBS.
but talk about a lucky team.
The cubs have lost 2 series in a row, possibly 3 if La wins tommorow.
they are 5-5 over last 10
and they still are leading the WILD CARD by a game.
what the hell is wrong with SD and SF?
cant someobdy please pass the cubs and leave em in the dust.
also the cubs do not play another team with a winning record for the remainder of the year.
this sounds very rigged to me.

Last time I checked, that team from Atlanta that wins division titles annualy, has a poretty good record and closes the reg. season at the Shrine.

chuckn98229
08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
It's amazing that the same so-called sports gurus who awarded the flubs a division championship and world series berth at the beginning of the season are now - in light of their utter humiliation by the Cardinals - awarding them the wild-card spot! It's enough to make you puke.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
It's amazing that the same so-called sports gurus who awarded the flubs a division championship and world series berth at the beginning of the season are now - in light of their utter humiliation by the Cardinals - awarding them the wild-card spot! It's enough to make you puke.
Today's Cubune has a Phil Rogers article on how the Cubs will cruise to the Wild Card. The Giants won 100 games last year & didn't lose a lot that hurts them this year (Aurilia, Cruz Jr. etc), they could pile up a lot of wins before the year's out. :cool:

gosox41
08-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Today's Cubune has a Phil Rogers article on how the Cubs will cruise to the Wild Card. The Giants won 100 games last year & didn't lose a lot that hurts them this year (Aurilia, Cruz Jr. etc), they could pile up a lot of wins before the year's out. :cool:
The Cubs do have an easier schedule.

I'm hoping for a Cubs choke, but if I were to put money on it, I'd bet the Cubs get the Wild Card...and by 4-5 games.

Bob

thepaulbowski
08-18-2004, 03:16 PM
The Cubs do have an easier schedule.

I'm hoping for a Cubs choke, but if I were to put money on it, I'd bet the Cubs get the Wild Card...and by 4-5 games.

Bob
But a lot of those "easy" games are against Houston & Milwaukee....two teams they have problems with.

TDog
08-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Of the 16 teams in the National League, 6 have winning records. One is the Cubs, who have the league's fifth best record. As the Cubs can't play with themselves, at least not in front of paying crowds, two-thirds of their possible opponents have losing records. So, no doubt, they will coast, just as the White Sox did in 1967 when they had the advantage of finishing against two lousy teams during their quest to get to the World Series.