PDA

View Full Version : Rainout in Beantown - does it help?

LASOXFAN
08-14-2004, 11:19 PM
No way there's going to be baseball tomorrow in Boston. Does this help with the rotation or hurt it?

weather (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USMA0046.html)

I fear the Sox may have to make this one up at the end of the season - hopefully not as spoilers.

DickAllen72
08-14-2004, 11:30 PM
According to that forecast, it's supposed to be "mostly cloudy" tomorrow night after very heavy rain all day (up to 2"). I wonder if the field will be in shape tomorrow night, and if Boston would consider delaying the start of the game until tomorrow night to get it in.

samram
08-14-2004, 11:39 PM
According to that forecast, it's supposed to be "mostly cloudy" tomorrow night after very heavy rain all day (up to 2"). I wonder if the field will be in shape tomorrow night, and if Boston would consider delaying the start of the game until tomorrow night to get it in.
I don't know how good the drainage system at Fenway is. If it's anything like Wrigley's, there's no way they play tomorrow. I would imagine that game wouldn't be made up unless it would matter in the standings. As for the rotation, it helps Buehrle because he then gets his normal four days of rest, which I think he may need considering he hasn't pitched that well (though not terribly) his last two starts.

JB98
08-15-2004, 12:14 AM
The drainage at Fenway is the worst in baseball. Absolutely miserable.

With our schedule, we don't really need another rainout. On the bright side, I'm in favor of anything that puts a stop to this asinine decision to throw pitchers on 3-days rest.

TornLabrum
08-15-2004, 12:17 AM
It's a scheduled 2:05 EDT start, so I doubt if the field would be ready, even tomorrow night. Boston has a game scheduled for Monday, so the obvious thing to do would be to make it up if there is a mutual offday or at the end of the year if it impacts on a division race or the wild card race.

JB98
08-15-2004, 12:20 AM
There is only one mutual off day left (Sept. 13). If the Sox were to agree to make up the game that day, they would be playing 48 games in 48 days. Get used to Cotts, Adkins and Jacko the Wacko in the late innings. Our bullpen can't hold up under that schedule.

JB98
08-15-2004, 12:22 AM
And one more thing, the Sox are at Anaheim on Sept. 12 and at Minnesota on Sept. 14. I'd rather not see them have a unscheduled cross-country flight from Anaheim to Boston, then have to turn around one day later and go to Minnesota.

soxwon
08-15-2004, 12:46 AM
why cant they add a game to next weekend HERE, it makes sense to me.

Brian26
08-15-2004, 12:47 AM
The drainage at Fenway is the worst in baseball. Absolutely miserable.

With our schedule, we don't really need another rainout. On the bright side, I'm in favor of anything that puts a stop to this asinine decision to throw pitchers on 3-days rest.
I heard that Roger Bossard is actually going to help Boston put a new field in after the season.

nodiggity59
08-15-2004, 12:48 AM
The rare valid point :D:

soxwon
08-15-2004, 01:02 AM
are you saying my points are rarely valid?

lol

Rex Hudler
08-15-2004, 01:34 AM
I heard that Roger Bossard is actually going to help Boston put a new field in after the season.That is true....... they were supposed to do it this past December, but it got delayed.

No way there's going to be baseball tomorrow in Boston. This is the latest forecast direct from the National Weather Service.... My guess is if the rain stops before 10 am or so, they will be able to get the field ready. They may have to delay it, but just a decent field can soak up an inch or more of rain an hour. It's not like like the clay will be wet.

Showers ending in the morning...otherwise mostly cloudy. windy. Not as warm. Humid with highs around 70. East winds 30 to 40 mph early...becoming northwest and decreasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

OurBitchinMinny
08-15-2004, 01:35 AM
Im sure boston would go for that. Losing a sellout gate is great for business. Im sure uncle JR would just handover the gate to the bosox

owensmouth
08-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Im sure boston would go for that. Losing a sellout gate is great for business. Im sure uncle JR would just handover the gate to the bosox
Possibility. As I remember, a rained out game scheduled for KC was instead played in Anaheim last year. It would have to be the second game of a doubleheader.

gosox41
08-15-2004, 08:55 AM
No way there's going to be baseball tomorrow in Boston. Does this help with the rotation or hurt it?

weather (http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USMA0046.html)

I fear the Sox may have to make this one up at the end of the season - hopefully not as spoilers.
If this team wants to win, I hope for the rainout. One less tough game on our schedule. Don't know if it will help the odds of winning the division much, but it can't hurt it.

If there is a makeup game that needs to be played and it means something to us at the end of Sept., then fine. If it's meaningless, start Felix Diaz play all 3 catchers at once (at different positions) and start the major overhaul to 2005.

If this team can get hot against some weaker opponents and claw this way back into the division race I'd be thrilled.

But remember, this is White Sox Baseball....Breaking hearts and ruining dreams for 86 years and counting.

Bob

Rex Hudler
08-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Rain is long gone in Boston now..... Guess it will depend on how much they got and whether they can absorb it. My guess is they plan without problems.

Current radar in Boston, MA....