PDA

View Full Version : Garland

chisoxfan79
08-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Tonight is a big start for Jon Garland. He gets to face one of the top pitchers in baseball in Schilling, Hopefully Jon shows up and not Judy because he absolutely has to pitch a minimum of eight innings because the bullpen in wiped out right now Pollite has pitched every day this week, Marte has gone two days in a row and Shingo has pitched two days in a row, so I am hoping that Jon has one of those starts like he did at Minnesota when he beat Santana or the offense has one of those 12 run outbursts.

SOXROX02
08-14-2004, 01:30 PM
That WOULD be nice to see again...

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Jon Garland had one of his best starts in his career against the Red Sox at Fenway. He has a 3.65 career ERA at fenway with a 1-1 record. I'm pretty confident in him tonight.

Edit: Here's the TBGR from his best start IMO http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=945

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 01:41 PM
I have faith in garlard. im hoping he'll pull through :cool:

Gimm
08-14-2004, 01:52 PM
If Garland out-duels Shilling at Fenway, that could be a turning point for him.

If our anemic offense can rough Shilling up a bit, that means Robbie, Carl and Val are starting to contribute. Sox gonna need all 3 down the stretch BIG-TIME, especially if KW doesn't beef up the offense via waivers, if they're to get back into this thing for real.

Finally, a 3 game winning streak....which can turn into a 4-game streak when Buerhle faces Arroyo on Sunday.....which in turn can turn into a 7-game streak.....you get the picture.

Sweeping BoSox at Fenway may just send JR and the investors a loud message:
'we're not dead afterall, please spend money"

Huge game.

NonetheLoaiza
08-14-2004, 01:53 PM
This game is a big game. I think Garland will hold his own. He HAS to go at least 7. It is not an option to go any less.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 02:00 PM
This game is a big game. I think Garland will hold his own. He HAS to go at least 7. It is not an option to go any less.
I think the key is to go 6 inning or more....AND give up 2 ER or less.

A 7 inning/4+ ER outing does us no good against Shilling.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 02:04 PM
I think the key is to go 6 inning or more....AND give up 2 ER or less.

A 7 inning/4+ ER outing does us no good against Shilling.
yea ur probably right i think garland will be in abt 6 and give up around 2...lets hope not though.

owensmouth
08-14-2004, 06:58 PM
No walks and no home runs, Garland and the White Sox have a chance.

Walks and home runs, we're dead.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 07:18 PM

Walks and home runs, we're dead.
obviously

Gimm
08-14-2004, 07:24 PM
No walks, no home runs, no 2-0 counts on every batter and flawless defense is more like. :bandance:

S.S. Lumber Yard
08-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Garland is such a tease. He can be so good, yet so bad.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Predictably, Judy is such a failure, finding a way to lose even when she is "on".

2 hanging sliders to Ramirez and Ortiz and Red Sox are now on their way to an easy win.

****, just a short while ago it looked like Shilling won't make it to the 5th. :angry:

JB98
08-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Even if he loses the game, I'm glad he threw the ball behind Cabrera. Sooner or later, you have to stick up for your teammates.

The Tom
08-14-2004, 08:27 PM
Even if he loses the game, I'm glad he threw the ball behind Cabrera. Sooner or later, you have to stick up for your teammates.???????... sticking up for teammates. That was an accident. Saying that he did that on pupose should have been in teal

ja1022
08-14-2004, 09:14 PM
???????... sticking up for teammates. That was an accident. Saying that he did that on pupose should have been in teal
Major league pitchers with good control don't "accidentally" throw it behind the next hitter after a spikes high slide into his shortstop. I was pissed that he again hit that one bad stretch after looking solid for three innings, but he showed something backing up his SS. By the way, I was in my car and heard the play on the radio...what did Hawk and DJ have to say about it?

Gimm
08-14-2004, 10:13 PM
I was pissed that he again hit that one bad stretch after looking solid for three innings
There is no short-cut to getting Manny and Ortiz out, I understand that - you can't throw a sinker all the time.

But on the other hand, if you get beat, get beat on your best or second best pitch. Sinker in to righty. Back-door curve to lefty.

This is where Garland not having a 95 mph four-seamer that he can throw by good hitters belt-high really bites - who knows, if Manny and Ortiz are afraid of being late on his heater, they may only foul off a hanger instead of staying back nicely and crushing it.....Damn.

balke
08-15-2004, 01:35 PM
lots of hate, didn't read this last night. Jon kept Schilling 3-3 through 6, what do you want from the guy? We all thought he'd get raped upon. Bullpen didn't hold down the fort. That was the most important pitch of the game, when Ortiz took Adkins yard. Sox probably would've pulled out a win had they gotten through Ortiz without giving up a homerun.

Odishon
08-15-2004, 01:52 PM
if garland could ever develop an 'out' breaking-ball pitch to complement his 2-seamer, he'd be very tough. he'd get ahead 0-1 with a well spotted 4-seamer, a change-up or a tight baby slider away....and then wipe the anxious batter out with a nasty hook or a sinker.

too bad he doesn't have that consisten breaking 'out' pitch all top pitchers possess yet.