PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko...2005 status

NonetheLoaiza
08-14-2004, 01:17 PM
I just wanted to gauge interest of everyone about whether we want Paulie back next year. Should we keep him around or should we try and get some other talent for him. Obviously it depends on the talent we get back, but say it is to Kenny Williams' liking...would you people approve of a trade.

Personally, I like Paul and he has been clutch for us at times. Without him this year, our offense may as well be dead in the water. But hes an average first baseman with the slowest feet in the game. I think its time to chance the complexion of the team starting with Paul.

I apologize for maybe beating a dead horse, but I wanted a poll to see what people favored.

habibharu
08-14-2004, 01:20 PM
no way in HELL you can keep paulie. after this season, we should be able to get a lot for him. Probably a solid young SP plus probably some prospects. Id rather keep lee than PK

chisoxfan79
08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
I say trade Paulie because his value will never be higher. Pickup a major league player with speed and maybe a good minor league pitcher.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 02:07 PM
no damn it. i love konerko hes my favorite sox player. i know we can get alot for him but still!:o:

NonetheLoaiza
08-14-2004, 02:18 PM
no damn it. i love konerko hes my favorite sox player. i know we can get alot for him but still!:o:no offense, but when hearing the argument for keeping paulie around all i hear is...'hes my favorite player' or 'i love paulie'. but what is really best for the team? i think its to get rid of him.

what would be some of the reason to keep him around?

Palehose13
08-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I can't see his value being any higher than it is right now. Sorry PK, I love you man, but if it were me...You Gone! Paul just doesn't "fit" with the direction KW wants to take this team. CLee is a better fit...keep him.

misty60481
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
One of the reasons to keep him now is his hitting, how are we going to replace 29 HRs & 80 RBIS???

Tmar281
08-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Barry Bonds value is high, would you trade him?:rolleyes:

soxtalker
08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the general consensus on the board was that Paulie should be traded for the proverbial "bag of balls". If we'd traded him then, we wouldn't have gotten his fair value. If we trade him now, perhaps we'll get more than he's really worth.

MarqSox
08-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Paulie, despite his awful "speed," does not hinder the success of this team (most of the time) and indeed makes the team better. Since KW should have the necessary funds to fill our needs on the free agent market as it stands now, we don't need to trade him.

Of course, if KW gets the ol' "offer he can't refuse," then that's a different story ... but I don't think we should be shopping him.

batmanZoSo
08-14-2004, 02:40 PM
It wasn't that long ago that the general consensus on the board was that Paulie should be traded for the proverbial "bag of balls". If we'd traded him then, we wouldn't have gotten his fair value. If we trade him now, perhaps we'll get more than he's really worth.
I say we just hang on to him. What can we really get for him? I would like Renteria, but he's not going to be in any trades. I'd like Kendall but Pittsburgh doesn't want an 8 million dollar first baseman. We're already losing Maggs, so it's not vital to dump Konerko's salary. Plus, he's a force this year and hopefully that will continue. He's definitely earning his money right now. With no Maggs or Konerko we're down to just an unpredictable Thomas coming off injury and Lee. Konerko needs to stay.

Valentin, Maggs, Jackson must go and we should have some money to spend on pitching and strengthening up the middle.

Palehose13
08-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Barry Bonds value is high, would you trade him?:rolleyes:
Are you suggesting that Paul Konerko=Barry Bonds?

Paul has been consistently inconsistent. I'm not in the market, but isn't it buy low, sell high? From what I hear/read about 2005, the Sox want to unload a right handed power hitter...out of Thomas, CLee, and PK, I'd rather trade PK. However, if they do end up keeping him I'm not going to be upset.

Tmar281
08-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Are you suggesting that Paul Konerko=Barry Bonds?

Paul has been consistently inconsistent. I'm not in the market, but isn't it buy low, sell high? From what I hear/read about 2005, the Sox want to unload a right handed power hitter...out of Thomas, CLee, and PK, I'd rather trade PK. However, if they do end up keeping him I'm not going to be upset.
yeah, i didnt use a good example. more like David Ortiz. If you want to win, you dont trade away arguably your best player.

iwannago
08-14-2004, 03:54 PM
yeah, i didnt use a good example. more like David Ortiz. If you want to win, you dont trade away arguably your best player.
I totally agree. Why would we trade our best player? Who better can we get for $8.5M?

SEALgep
08-14-2004, 04:00 PM
I love PK, but trading him makes sense. We have some options of who we would be able to pursue next year in FA, most notably a left handed stick (whether at first or not).

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 04:08 PM
We definately have to keep our power core of Thomas, Lee and Konerko intact if we plan on doing anything next year. It's one thing to be an all or nothing guy like Jose Valentin or Joe Crede, but these guys have power and get on base a lot so it would be foolish to break them up. Besides, there isn't a huge market for power-hitting first basemen because most teams already have one. Konerko gets on base at a pretty good clip, but not enough so to make him an elite first basemen, but he's definately top 10. His production will be very useful next year to the White Sox and I would hope that we keep him. BTW, Konerko's VORP of 40.8 is the highest for any American League first basemen, but there are six higher NL first basemen.

SEALgep
08-14-2004, 04:13 PM
We definately have to keep our power core of Thomas, Lee and Konerko intact if we plan on doing anything next year. It's one thing to be an all or nothing guy like Jose Valentin or Joe Crede, but these guys have power and get on base a lot so it would be foolish to break them up. Besides, there isn't a huge market for power-hitting first basemen because most teams already have one. Konerko gets on base at a pretty good clip, but not enough so to make him an elite first basemen, but he's definately top 10. His production will be very useful next year to the White Sox and I would hope that we keep him. BTW, Konerko's VORP of 40.8 is the highest for any American League first basemen, but there are six higher NL first basemen.If power is your concern, why not replace PK with a power lefty? PK deserves praise for this season, but the fact remains we are a slow right handed team. I have no problem with trying to find some balance.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 04:17 PM
If power is your concern, why not replace PK with a power lefty? PK deserves praise for this season, but the fact remains we are a slow right handed team. I have no problem with trying to find some balance. Well obviously that's the ideal, but I don't think that we can entirely replace his power if we traded him for a left handed hitter. Sure we'd have more balance, but probably at the expense of the best power hitting first basemen in the AL. Left handed power hitters don't exactly grow on trees, either.

soxtalker
08-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't think anyone is saying just give him away for anything. (That was the case last year.) Those of us who are saying that we should trade him are anticipating that KW will get quite a bit for him. If the market doesn't return us a lot, as some of you have suggested, it, of course, doesn't make sense to trade him.

When people say that we need to retain the core of Lee and Konerko, I guess that I'd ask why? (Let's drop Thomas from the discussion, since it is highly unlikely he will leave.) There's been a lot of talk about moving to a more mobile and pitching/defensive-oriented team. Do you think that can't work (e.g., because the park is so offensive-oriented now)?

HomeFish
08-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I do not believe that the Sox can attract any FA's, but let's be theoretical. Are there any power lefty FAs that could be had for, say, 14 million or less?

In that case, let Konerko stay.

HomeFish
08-14-2004, 04:25 PM
When people say that we need to retain the core of Lee and Konerko, I guess that I'd ask why? (Let's drop Thomas from the discussion, since it is highly unlikely he will leave.) There's been a lot of talk about moving to a more mobile and pitching/defensive-oriented team. Do you think that can't work (e.g., because the park is so offensive-oriented now)?

What makes you think that Thomas and Lee would not belong on a pitching/defenseive oriented team?

Such a team still needs offense, for one, and Thomas, as an OBP god, and Lee, as an underrated and improving defensive outfielder, still fit in there for two.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 04:27 PM
No, I actually do think that can work, but you have to remember, if we keep Thomas, Lee and Konerko together, there are still 6 other spots in the lineup that can be filled with players of that mold if KW and Ozzie want that. Everyone looks at the Marlins for proof of the speed/pitching/defense thing and they look to Pierre and Castillo at the top of the lineup providing the fundamentals/speed/etc. bit, but if you look at their lineup, it was really a power lineup. They had Lowell, Lee and Cabrera, all power guys at the heart of the order, as well as Pudge, who was their high average guy, decent power guy. Every AL team needs power and if you have none then you become the ____ version of the 2003 Dodgers.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 04:28 PM
I do not believe that the Sox can attract any FA's, but let's be theoretical. Are there any power lefty FAs that could be had for, say, 14 million or less?

In that case, let Konerko stay.
We could probably get Sexson for that 8 million that we're paying Pauly now.

soxtalker
08-14-2004, 04:52 PM
What makes you think that Thomas and Lee would not belong on a pitching/defenseive oriented team?

Such a team still needs offense, for one, and Thomas, as an OBP god, and Lee, as an underrated and improving defensive outfielder, still fit in there for two.
As I mentioned in my message, I wasn't considering Thomas as part of the question, since he'll most likely be staying whatever the situation. However, he fits just fine, as long as he DH's. He's not fast on the base paths, but it is nice to have someone who gets on half the time he comes to bat.

Lee and/or Konerko are another matter. It isn't so much the defense, though neither is outstanding. Rather, speed seems to be another part of the team that they are trying to put together. If Ozzie and KW want to change to that sort of team, they'll probably need to exchange one or both of these guys for players that fit that mold.

I should say that I'm not terribly anxious for these guys to leave, but I can see where it might be beneficial. One factor that no one seems to mention that occurs to me is that these guys aren't getting any younger. Our chief competition -- MN and Cleveland -- are young. I think we need to move in that direction sometime in the next year or two.

misty60481
08-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Just an idea since we need left-handed balance could we make a deal with PK for Drew At. is going to be looking for 1st base with Franco being ready for AARP then I hear Cin. is going to try to put Griffey at 1st base because of his hamstring problems and might be ready to part with Sean Casey, it would probably take Garland and somebody but might fly. Then the only problem is a 4th or 5th starter and we already know how hard they are to find. For every upside there is a downside...

nodiggity59
08-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Everybody kows Konerko is slow, but is 1st base a position where we actually expect to have speed? Konerko is almost exactly what you would want out of a 1B, IMO

JB98
08-14-2004, 05:24 PM
no offense, but when hearing the argument for keeping paulie around all i hear is...'hes my favorite player' or 'i love paulie'. but what is really best for the team? i think its to get rid of him.

BS!!!!!!! For the 800th time this week, Konerko is the best and most consistent hitter on the team. Look at his numbers. With Paul, we don't have to put up with the streakiness we get with CLee and Valentin. We know he's there for us day in and day out. Not only that, he's proven he can recover from tough times. You can tell that slump last year taught him what he needs to do to be consistent at this level. The long slumps we saw from him earlier in his career have been absent this year, and that's a testament to his growth as a hitter. He knows his own swing better than anybody on the team. Ask Greg Walker. He'll tell you.

I don't care about Paul's lack of speed or average defense. I value neither in a first baseman. I want run production, and Konerko is developing into one of the best. Think of how many RBIs he'd have this year if we actually had a leadoff hitter, or a decent #2 hitter. Paulie is part of the solution, not part of the problem. If you want to find out where the problem is, look at the other three positions in the infield, not at first base.

Konerko, Rowand, Lee and a healthy Frank are the core of this offense. Bring them all back and replace the parts around them.

</rant>

sendimjoey
08-14-2004, 05:48 PM

A great point. I think Konerko is more likely to continue to produce at something like his level this year than Carlos Lee is, however, because Lee isn't patient at the plate. He swings at everything. Guys like that tend to be more volatile, more likely to decline. I think one of them should be traded this offseason, but I think it should be Lee.

owensmouth
08-14-2004, 06:39 PM
I say trade Paulie because his value will never be higher. Pickup a major league player with speed and maybe a good minor league pitcher.
What do you mean his value will never be higher? How can you prove that? Konerko's value is high, and I think will go higher as he continue to produce over the next five years.

For the Haters of Konerko that infest this board, the only thing that's important is that he be gone. Then, when their dreams come true and the imdividual that he was traded for falls on his nose, they'll scream that PK never should have been traded.

Konerko may only steal one base a year, but I'll keep him just as he is.

Blob
08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
I voted he's not going anywhere.

Deadguy
08-14-2004, 10:19 PM
I hope Konerko takes a hike. It's nice that he finally turned into that 40 homerun hitter that we wanted and needed 5 years ago when we traded a GG centerfielder for him, but it's too little, too late, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't believe there are people who find him more reliable than CLee. Do they not remember Paula falling into a coma and being THE WORST PLAYER IN BASEBALL in the first half of 2003. Do they forget that he hit fewer homeuns in the first three months of the season than Mike Cameron hit in one May night in 2002. How can someone with his mental fragility be counted on for anything?

While we know Konerko won't fall into the same complacency in 2005, that he did in 2003, since it is a contract year, it'd be nice to move him while his value is higher than his actual worth. So long Slownerko. I won't miss you.

Whitesox029
08-14-2004, 10:33 PM
It's nice to see that the tide has turned in PK's favor, even if not overwhelmingly, as far as the WSI contingent of Sox fans is concerned. I have been telling anyone who'd listen since February that PK would bounce back in fine fashion this year. I was laughed out of most of the WSI threads on the subject, and ridiculed when I took him as my 17th pick out of 29 in my fantasy league.

How's Giambi looking at first now, boys?

spanishwhite
08-14-2004, 10:43 PM
1.It's not necessarily a trade Konerko opinion. Either him or Lee. But, I dont think Reinsdorf wants to increase payroll and with the current raises that we will have to give we will probably have to trade one of the two.

2.The outhitting opponents philosophy hasn't really worked out for us. Im tired of losing pennants in the home stretch b/c our pitching isnt doing it and our offense goes into that slump or is tired. I much rather have a deep pitching staff that will keep us into games deep into games.

NonetheLoaiza
08-14-2004, 11:31 PM
2.The outhitting opponents philosophy hasn't really worked out for us. Im tired of losing pennants in the home stretch b/c our pitching isnt doing it and our offense goes into that slump or is tired. I much rather have a deep pitching staff that will keep us into games deep into games.
I couldn't agree more. It's not that Paul is dead weight and needs to go, its just that I would rather get a solid SP for him to keep our team in games throughout the season. I don't like the longball approach we seem to have every night. I think its time to try something else.

gosox41
08-15-2004, 09:02 AM
no offense, but when hearing the argument for keeping paulie around all i hear is...'hes my favorite player' or 'i love paulie'. but what is really best for the team? i think its to get rid of him.

THer are fans who wish the Sox would pretty much blindly resign every significant player the Sox had over the years. Even with 20/20 hindsight and knowing that a player had a downward slide in his career or suffered a significant injury or enver recovered from an injury he had here, and they still want him signed

PK needs to go. Lee, Frank, and Everett can eb the SOx power hitters next year. Money from PK should be invested in a fifth starter (and I mean a 5ht starter so the Sox can have 5, not a guy with a 5.5 ERA who can't get anyone out) or a guy who can g et on base.

Bob

nodiggity59
08-15-2004, 12:22 PM
THer are fans who wish the Sox would pretty much blindly resign every significant player the Sox had over the years. Even with 20/20 hindsight and knowing that a player had a downward slide in his career or suffered a significant injury or enver recovered from an injury he had here, and they still want him signed

PK needs to go. Lee, Frank, and Everett can eb the SOx power hitters next year. Money from PK should be invested in a fifth starter (and I mean a 5ht starter so the Sox can have 5, not a guy with a 5.5 ERA who can't get anyone out) or a guy who can g et on base.

Bob
Agreed. Trade Konerko for an OBP guy/ reliever....Then sign Russ Ortiz

JB98
08-15-2004, 12:40 PM
This discussion is about Konerko. I think you're talking about Maggs.

Again, we're set at 1B, DH, LF and CF for next year. Every other position on the field needs to be looked at.

HITMEN OF 77
08-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Paulie proved last year was a 1/2 season fluke. If Konerko didn't produce this year then this team would be in last place and not in the race, bottom line. He's the offensive leadeer on this club now. Frank who knows when he'll ever be back and if he can put up big numbers. Maggs, is he staying or going? Who knows? The new offensive leaders on this club are going to be Lee and Konerko. Therefore you have to keep Konerko, I don't care how high he's trade talent is. He's an offensive threat.

balke
08-15-2004, 01:23 PM
I want him gone, but if we lose him, then Maggs might be gone. WE don't know how bad Frank's foot is for next season, and we don't have anyone to replace Paulie's #'s at first, Maggs #'s in outfield, and Frank's big "?"

I'm excited and scared for next season. Great pitching will be in chicago. Rowand will be in chicago. That's all that remains certain in my mind. Best case scenario would be Frank comes back healthy, Paulie and Valentin go for Pitching and a short stop. We buy a center/right fielder, and some relievers with Maggs Salary.

Worst case scenario, FRANK, MAGGS, PK, CLee, Crede are gone for new guys the fans don't know, and Valentin signs a 2 year extension.

Which do you think is more likely?

P.S. everyone seems to hate Crede. YOU'LL BE SORRY. 3B don't grow on trees.

DSpivack
08-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Is paulie not a much better hitter than el caballo?

JB98
08-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Is paulie not a much better hitter than el caballo?
Depends on what you value. The peaks and valleys have been greater with Lee this year. He'll carry the team for a couple weeks, then he'll kill the team with pop-ups for a period of games. Konerko is not as spectacular when he's hot, but he's steadier. Even in an O-fer, he hit the ball hard twice today.

balke
08-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Paulie is at a record high in Homeruns for himself, but a near record low in Doubles and extra base hits. Really its a case of fans drooling over the long ball. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve respect, he's really been what this team needs to stay afloat, but look at the whole picture for his batting, and you may hesitate less about keeping him if we can get something good out of the deal, like bullpen help or a young SS.

114 games: Clee has 30 doubles 23 hr

110 games: PK has 15 2baggers 29 hr

74 Games: Frank 16 2B 18 Hr (HI! I'm highly UNDERRATED by some of my own fans and baseball commentators!!!!!!)

Clee is the better all around. He'd probably have more dingers if he wasn't on that hit streak earlier this season, his main job then was to get on base, and keep the streak alive. Even if you triple gload's #'s (according to at-bats) they are pretty comparable as far as doubles go, but he'd only have 9 HR.

mcfish
08-16-2004, 03:03 PM
BS!!!!!!! For the 800th time this week, Konerko is the best and most consistent hitter on the team. Look at his numbers. With Paul, we don't have to put up with the streakiness we get with CLee and Valentin. We know he's there for us day in and day out. Not only that, he's proven he can recover from tough times. You can tell that slump last year taught him what he needs to do to be consistent at this level. The long slumps we saw from him earlier in his career have been absent this year, and that's a testament to his growth as a hitter. He knows his own swing better than anybody on the team. Ask Greg Walker. He'll tell you.

I don't care about Paul's lack of speed or average defense. I value neither in a first baseman. I want run production, and Konerko is developing into one of the best. Think of how many RBIs he'd have this year if we actually had a leadoff hitter, or a decent #2 hitter. Paulie is part of the solution, not part of the problem. If you want to find out where the problem is, look at the other three positions in the infield, not at first base.

Konerko, Rowand, Lee and a healthy Frank are the core of this offense. Bring them all back and replace the parts around them.

</rant>Agreed on most points, but here's a little evidence on who's more consistent on the Home/Road split - CLee or Paulie.

Paulie G AB Run Hit 2B 3 HR RBI TB BB SO OBP SLG AVG
Home 56 197 34 62 07 0 20 49 129 32 28 .415 .655 .315
Away 54 197 21 48 08 0 09 30 083 17 43 .302 .421 .244

C Lee G AB Run Hit 2B 3 HR RBI TB BB SO OBP SLG AVG
Home 57 215 42 63 11 0 11 33 107 24 32 .363 .498 .293
Away 57 226 31 68 19 0 12 44 123 16 38 .352 .544 .301

I only noticed this because I saw this on the scoreboard in Boston. They had Paulie's too, but it was too sad to take a picture of.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-16-2004, 03:07 PM

hes a good player. why get rid of him. hes done so much for this team in the past

balke
08-16-2004, 03:12 PM
hes a good player. why get rid of him. hes done so much for this team in the pastCause we need help in other areas, and could use a little bit of youth. I'm just saying, if the right deal comes around, pull the trigger. Pauly's slow, we can build around this pitching next year. I'll take Paulie's 8 mil, and get another 8-9mil starter any day of the week, cause pauly really only offers power, which we have elsewhere. Like the Cards, when they had all that hitting, they lost ONE guy, and got a great bullpen, now they're in the playoffs, and likely WS champs.

As far as doing so much for the team, the only guy I give that argument to is Frank. He is this team's rock, you can't keep every guy the fans like. Frank's been a lifer here, Paulie's only been here half his career (granted 9 years is a long time, but it's not 14). tough love

kojak
08-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Paulie is the best hitter in the lineup right now. It would only make sense for the White Sox organisation to find a way to get rid of him, preferably for little in return.

If they can find ways to disrespect icons like Harold Baines and Carlton Fisk, what makes Paul Konerko so special?
In fact, let's trade Paulie and Maggs for Sosa and Alou!!!!!

Whitesox029
08-16-2004, 11:06 PM
I couldn't agree more. It's not that Paul is dead weight and needs to go, its just that I would rather get a solid SP for him to keep our team in games throughout the season. I don't like the longball approach we seem to have every night. I think its time to try something else.If this is your philosophy, then why didn't you suggest trading Ordonez? There isn't a chance in hell to sign him, and we could've brought in at least another #2 caliber starter for him at the deadline. Looking back this was KW's biggest mistake.

NonetheLoaiza
08-17-2004, 11:26 AM
If this is your philosophy, then why didn't you suggest trading Ordonez? There isn't a chance in hell to sign him, and we could've brought in at least another #2 caliber starter for him at the deadline. Looking back this was KW's biggest mistake.
Wasn't Maggs on the DL at the deadline? You couldnt trade him in that week or two he was playing because Frank went down and we were still more than in the race.

hold2dibber
08-17-2004, 11:50 AM
As always, the key is what can you get in return. If the Sox could get any TWO of: (1) a good starting pitcher; (2) a good OBP guy; and (3) a good bullpen arm, I'd deal him (would the Angels give us F-Rod and Kennedy? Probably not, but you get what I'm saying). Otherwise, assuming that Maggs and Valentin will be gone, and with Frank's health an issue (as it will be for the rest of his career), I'd keep him.

jabrch
08-17-2004, 11:54 AM
I just don't know what we can get for PK. His contract bumps up to 11mm, I think, if he is traded. Who takes him for 11mm and gives us good value in return? What could we get?

JRIG
08-17-2004, 12:30 PM
I just don't know what we can get for PK. His contract bumps up to 11mm, I think, if he is traded. Who takes him for 11mm and gives us good value in return? What could we get?
It's $9.25 million for 2005 if he's traded, $8.75 million if he stays.

voodoochile
08-17-2004, 12:33 PM
If you can get a decent offer for him, do it.

That would free up money to make runs at BOTH Beltran and Maggs. Then you could move Lee to first and free up a corner spot for Rowand.

jshanahanjr
08-17-2004, 12:45 PM
No way you trade him unless Maggs is resigned. No way!

balke
08-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Someone's gotta go. kenny will be getting a bullpen arm, and a Starter of some kind, whether a #2 kinda guy like he boasted in the media, or a solid 4-5 starter.

Also, he knows we need a bullpen arm, and Defense to compliment a good starting rotation. Konerko is great trade bait to any team with pitching, looking for a good bat.
IF we have Frank Healthy next season, which noone in the media has really said anything about (a fracture on a big guys foot at that age is scary), then we don't need Paulie valentin or Maggs. We can free up money, get some good pitching, and another outfielder with range to compliment Rowand. I don't know how much the guy wants next season, but I was thinking about Patterson if we could acquire him somehow. HOw wicked would our outfield be with Lee/Patterson/Rowand ? (Cabrera would be good too, but he will be so expensive with the # of teams drooling over that guy) Have Frank as DH, and worry about SS and 1B by losing paulie and Valentin.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I know Kenny probably has even bigger plans, like losing Crede (which I think is a mistake). Next season will be interesting. We sox fans are lucky Rowand turned out to be such a good player, or else we might have had a huge bat problem on our hands next season. it looks like we'll have a minor bat problem instead.

P.S. I'm all about keeping Maggs if we can get him for 12-14 mil per, 15 is just nuts though.

hold2dibber
08-17-2004, 01:47 PM
If you can get a decent offer for him, do it.

That would free up money to make runs at BOTH Beltran and Maggs. Then you could move Lee to first and free up a corner spot for Rowand.
Then what would you do with Everett? Bench?

habibharu
08-17-2004, 01:51 PM
No way you trade him unless Maggs is resigned. No way! why? a team with c lee, frank, and carl has enough power, especially if you sign a guy like perez.

balke
08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Perez has been a great fill in the blank guy this season, but no way do I want that guy starting for the white sox next season.

habibharu
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Perez has been a great fill in the blank guy this season, but no way do I want that guy starting for the white sox next season. why? hes the second best SP available after pedro

balke
08-17-2004, 02:08 PM
LOL, I thought you were talking about TIMo, heh!

JDP
08-17-2004, 02:17 PM
why? hes the second best SP available after pedro
True to KW and Sox form of "diamonds" in the rough and the 'Ozzie Influence' on this team, I can see a two key signings happening this off-season:

1) Signing of Derek Lowe to a cheap base contract heavily laden w/ incentive clauses.
2) Ugueth Urbina signing for either middle relief or closer detail

As for "middle-to-top" of the rotation guys, the candidates seem to be among Pedro Martinez, Matt Clement, Russ Ortiz, Carl Pavano, Odalis Perez and Kris Benson. All of that could go out the door if the Sox can (or want to) trade Konerko for a starter and a bullpen arm.

balke
08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
What's everett gettin? like 3 mil? We might keep him around, if frank plays 1b, Everett could Dh, or be a pinch hitter role if our team looks REAL good next season.

voodoochile
08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Then what would you do with Everett? Bench?
Too much talent? Now that would truly suck...:D: