PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez

bluestar
08-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Am I the only person that would like to see a pitcher make Ramirez pay for his showboating antics? He takes the Home Run Admiration schtick to a whole new level, and even when he managed to get a base hit after battling Mike Jackson he was standing over at first base acting as though he had just won the game.

Rooney asked Farmer last night what his reaction would have been if a batter stood and admired a home run like Manny did, and Farmer said something like, "I would have knocked him down the next time I had the chance."

I can understand the argument that the DH eliminates the "right" of a pitcher in the AL to knock down batters, but some players seem to be really asking for it. I know Ramirez does this all the time. Someone should send him a message that it isn't appreciated.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Am I the only person that would like to see a pitcher make Ramirez pay for his showboating antics? He takes the Home Run Admiration schtick to a whole new level, and even when he managed to get a base hit after battling Mike Jackson he was standing over at first base acting as though he had just won the game.

Rooney asked Farmer last night what his reaction would have been if a batter stood and admired a home run like Manny did, and Farmer said something like, "I would have knocked him down the next time I had the chance."

I can understand the argument that the DH eliminates the "right" of a pitcher in the AL to knock down batters, but some players seem to be really asking for it. I know Ramirez does this all the time. Someone should send him a message that it isn't appreciated.
i totally agree man. i really think ramirez was being gay in that sitution. Like that time they hammered Everret for doing his "sing of the cross" thing after his homerun.

AddisonStSox
08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing last night. It would have been awesome for one of our guys to have plunked him in his next at bat, but we simply have too much on the line right now. What I can't figure out is why no one has dropped Sosa after his little skipping act. He hits a homerun off of me and then skips....BAM! Salomon Torres.

Tmar281
08-14-2004, 11:06 AM
i don't have a problem with what manny does. he just has fun no matter what

Soxzilla
08-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I enjoy watching manny.

You can't fault the guy for being good. And that HR he got off contreras was a good pitch, he just went down and got it.:smile:

SomebodyToldMe
08-14-2004, 01:16 PM
I have nothing against Manny. The guy has the sweetest swing in all of baseball.

And to be honest, I love his home run swing/look. It's weird cuz he KNOWS when he connected, even if I don't.

The man's awesome.

Except when he was on the Injuns...He was an enemy then.

losingugly2004
08-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Yes the showboating of Ramirez pisses me off. So does the ritualistic grand standing done by that fat-overpaid north side icon. I do believe it's time for the WS pitchers to make a bold statement with a knockdown pitch. I'm still sick from the time that Torii Hunter tackled Jamie Burke and nothing became of it. I feel, had the WS pitchers stuck up for their own, we may not have gone into this depressive downswing in our play.

Magglios_Girl
08-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I have nothing against Manny. The guy has the sweetest swing in all of baseball.

And to be honest, I love his home run swing/look. It's weird cuz he KNOWS when he connected, even if I don't.

The man's awesome.

Except when he was on the Injuns...He was an enemy then.Thank you! Finally someone agrees with me:tongue: . Manny is one of my favorite players outside the White Sox and I would love to have him our team (even though I know that will never happen).

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09-03/09-03-03/0903mann.jpgI can still dream though...:D:

nitetrain8601
08-14-2004, 01:57 PM
I know I would want him on the Sox. The guy's awesome. He's having fun and has a little spunk. If he were on the Sox I know you guys wouldn't care unless he ran the bases like Carlos and think he connected when he really didn't.

Manny = main idea of Ozzie Ball. Having fun and is good.

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 02:56 PM
If you showboat all the time (manny, sosa), it is ok because its what you always do. If you showboat every once in a while, you're a jerk. Doing something stupid consistently doesnt make it ok.

Soxzilla
08-14-2004, 02:58 PM
I know I would want him on the Sox. The guy's awesome. He's having fun and has a little spunk. If he were on the Sox I know you guys wouldn't care unless he ran the bases like Carlos and think he connected when he really didn't.

Manny = main idea of Ozzie Ball. Having fun and is good.
Too bad he is god awful in the field.

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 03:14 PM
Manny is the best hitter in the American League. He has a great OBP, hits for high average and has a ton of power. I would love to see him in a White Sox uniform. A lineup which included Thomas and Manny would be ridiculously amazing.

Tmar281
08-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Too bad he is god awful in the field.he's great in the field! remember that relay throw that he cut off! web gem

LongLiveFisk
08-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Surprisingly, Manny doesn't bother me that much. I think he had some added incentive to showboat since it was ex-Yankee Contreras (you don't just forget the past that quickly!), so Manny may have been trying to get the crowd back into the game.

What did make me laugh though was Ortiz. He reacted like his drive was way out on the streets of Boston when Timo caught it at the wall. How long was he standing on the field staring at Timo after he made that catch? Hey Ortiz....:neener:

Gimm
08-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Manny is slumipng big-time lately, but make no mistake about it - best hitter in AL.

Hits mistakes. Hits pitcher's pitches. Hits pitches up, down, in, away. Hits to LF, LCF, CF, RCF, RF. Hits in the clutch. Hits with bases loaded. Walks, too.

Bonds, Pujols, Manny and Vlad. Fun to watch.

[/Cpt. Obvious]

SomebodyToldMe
08-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Manny and Vlad are the best "anywhere" hitters.

Doesn't matter where the pitch is, they'll knock the $^*# out of the ball.

Gimm
08-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Manny and Vlad are the best "anywhere" hitters.

Doesn't matter where the pitch is, they'll knock the $^*# out of the ball.Not everyone can have the power and plate coverage of these two, but there is no reason why Manny's basic plate approach shouldn't be emulated.

Which is what pisses me the most about Uribe, Valentin, Crede and even Carlos - I don't expect 410-foot HR to opposite field, but singles and doubles hit up the middle and the other way are a MUST. If Manny is not too good for shortening up and/or hitting where it's pitched, why are those yahoos trying to pull and uppercut every pitch? They are cheating themselves and, more importantly, the team out of precious hits and RBI by being greedy.

But I digress. :cool:

bluestar
08-14-2004, 04:43 PM
For the record, I don't have a problem with Manny being a great hitter. I agree with what everyone said about his ability to hit anything, and hit it far. I don't even care if he showboats, but then he shouldn't care if someone throws at him for it, either. I guess my point is, why don't opposing pitchers make him pay for that? And I agree, the same thing should apply to Sosa of even El Caballo when he stands and admires his home runs.

I don't hate the guy. I just think someone should make him pay for the showboating.

CWWTWS1
08-14-2004, 05:20 PM
This is nonsense. Carlos stands and admires his homeruns all the time when he goes yard. This is how players are these days.