PDA

View Full Version : Cops Writing Tickets Outside The Park

michaelgarv
08-14-2004, 08:54 AM
About a month ago, 4 of us were in the Tailgate parking lot drinking a couple of beers before the game. My friend and I had finished our beers and threw them away already. My girlfriend and her friend finished thier beer and decided they were going to throw them away on the street because it was closer. They proceeded to walk to the street with the bottle in hand and immedietly got stopped by one of the cops. They explainded that they were just going to throw them away. He looked at the bottles to see if there was still beer in them and there was. He wrote them both a Ticket for Drinking on a public Walkway. They both had to take a half a day off of work and in court they both were slapped with $125.00 Fines. The whole court room was filled with people there for the same thing. I underestand that they do not want a bunch of drunks running around the ball park with beers in hand but this was rediculous.

The Critic
08-14-2004, 09:05 AM
About a month ago, 4 of us were in the Tailgate parking lot drinking a couple of beers before the game. My friend and I had finished our beers and threw them away already. My girlfriend and her friend finished thier beer and decided they were going to throw them away on the street because it was closer. They proceeded to walk to the street with the bottle in hand and immedietly got stopped by one of the cops. They explainded that they were just going to throw them away. He looked at the bottles to see if there was still beer in them and there was. He wrote them both a Ticket for Drinking on a public Walkway. They both had to take a half a day off of work and in court they both were slapped with $125.00 Fines. The whole court room was filled with people there for the same thing. I underestand that they do not want a bunch of drunks running around the ball park with beers in hand but this was rediculous.I don't want to seem unsympathetic to your girlfriend's situation, but if the cops are going to err one way or the other, I'd rather they go too strict than too lenient. People are allowed to drink in the parking lot and that's good enough. The cops need to keep a short leash on where the empty bottles end up. I agree that it could have been done without a citation, but I guess they want to show that they're serious.

TornLabrum
08-14-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't want to seem unsympathetic to your girlfriend's situation, but if the cops are going to err one way or the other, I'd rather they go too strict than too lenient. People are allowed to drink in the parking lot and that's good enough. The cops need to keep a short leash on where the empty bottles end up. I agree that it could have been done without a citation, but I guess they want to show that they're serious.
Virtually every game I go to I see ushers telling people to get rid of their beer before they leave the ball park. Chicago has a city ordinance prohibiting people from carrying open containers of alcoholic beverages on public walkways. It's also illegal in the state to have open containers of alcoholic beverages in an automobile (and that used to include partial six-packs with unopened cans or bottles back when I cared about such things).

There is an old saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." And you know what? It's true.

jackbrohamer
08-14-2004, 09:59 AM
As a Chicagoan whose house was recently burglarized, I find it pathetic that Chicago police officers are wasting their time hassling people throwing out beer bottles rather than doing something useful with their time. And if I were a police officer, I would find it rather unfulfilling to work as a glorified meter maid.

TornLabrum
08-14-2004, 10:30 AM
As a Chicagoan whose house was recently burglarized, I find it pathetic that Chicago police officers are wasting their time hassling people throwing out beer bottles rather than doing something useful with their time. And if I were a police officer, I would find it rather unfulfilling to work as a glorified meter maid.
I think I'd rather see those cops making sure the people who had consumed all that beer didn't get behind the wheel of a car. BTW, those cops are assigned that duty and have been for years. They're not the same ones who would be investigating your burglary.

jackbrohamer
08-14-2004, 01:49 PM
If you think the cops are writing those tickets outside Sox park in order to safeguard public safety --- instead of pulling in the $125-per-ticket ----- you've forgotten who's Mayor.

jackbrohamer
08-14-2004, 01:52 PM
BTW, those cops are assigned that duty and have been for years. They're not the same ones who would be investigating your burglary.

Thank God. It's a pretty motley crew in & outside Sox Park

TornLabrum
08-14-2004, 01:55 PM
If you think the cops are writing those tickets outside Sox park in order to safeguard public safety --- instead of pulling in the $125-per-ticket ----- you've forgotten who's Mayor.
That's why I said I think I'd rather see them making sure the drunks don't get behind the wheel...that's more important than handing out tickets for carrying alcohol on a pulic walkway.

Palehose13
08-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Thank God. It's a pretty motley crew in & outside Sox Park
Well, according to the media it is.

Now, before we complain about the Police Officers DOING THEIR JOB, let's think about arecent incident (the golf ball case). Dontcha think maybe they have special instructions to watch the lots?

Regarding your complaint about where they are assigned, fro any large venue (festivals, the taste, any games) police officers are assigned to keep an eye on the crowd. Many times (in the summer) these officers are from youth division or are "beat cops" and will not take away from other investigative services.

Daughter of a retired member of CPD-
ph13

italiancee
08-14-2004, 02:32 PM
like another poster said, id rather have them acting more strict than lienient (how ever you spell it).maybe you are respectful of the neighborhood but thats all we need around here is a bunch of slobs leaving beer bottles around and turning my neighborhood into a piss bucket like wrigley.

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 02:36 PM
My friends and I were doing the same thing earlier this year (walking out of the parking lot to throw beer bottles away) when we were confronted by some cops. I was kinda upset at the way they talked to us at the time, b/c they were pretty rude, but looking back on it I'd rather have that as opposed to forking over 125 bucks.

WSox8404
08-14-2004, 03:17 PM
And how exactly would you want them to have stopped your house from being robbed? 24 hour watching of your house? I hate when people use these arguements. Do you realize how many robberies happen every day in the city? A ton. And they would still happen if we had 20,000 more cops on the streets. I applaud the cops for what they did at the park. If they didn't, it would look more like Wiggly Field.

WSox8404
08-14-2004, 03:17 PM
This post means nothing. It is just to get me off post 666.

skobabe8
08-14-2004, 03:21 PM

LMAO!! :D:
You're just padding your stats.

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 01:10 PM
And how exactly would you want them to have stopped your house from being robbed?
I dunno, do something more than nothing?

gosox63
08-18-2004, 01:28 PM

<sigh> another "angry chicagoan" mad at the mayor's work.

honestly.....he's better than jane burns and is the reason that this is one of the best cities in the world, it all starts with beautification.

go back to the northside heckler

minastirith67
08-18-2004, 01:43 PM
:dtroll:

gosox41
08-18-2004, 02:07 PM
<sigh> another "angry chicagoan" mad at the mayor's work.

honestly.....he's better than jane burns and is the reason that this is one of the best cities in the world, it all starts with beautification.

go back to the northside heckler

Thank goodness for those planters in the middle of Ashland.:D:

Bob

gosox63
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Thank goodness for those planters in the middle of Ashland.:D:

Bob

and the development of the south and west sides, and navy pir, and millenium park, increased equal opp employ.,

Face it, running the city is in the Daley's blood, you got a better idea?

jackbrohamer
08-18-2004, 02:42 PM
I think banishment to the Roadhouse is imminent

gosox63
08-18-2004, 02:47 PM
I think banishment to the Roadhouse is imminent

I think you're a butthead :?: :dtroll: :happybday :gulp: :bandance: :supernana:

TornLabrum
08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I think you're a butthead :?: :dtroll: :happybday :gulp: :bandance: :supernana:
This should be the one that does it, too.

Medford Bobby
08-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey with all the loonies out there, that's why public drinking is forbidden outside any citie's venues.

my advice is just bring a trash bag a leave it..... :whiner:

You can't be anywhere in Lake Geneva proper with an open beer. :(: Years ago it was a fine, it's probably instant street execution today :angry:

GOGOSOX FROM SEATTLE! It's been a sunny and hot summer here.. :bandance:

JoseCanseco6969
08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
About a month ago, 4 of us were in the Tailgate parking lot drinking a couple of beers before the game. My friend and I had finished our beers and threw them away already. My girlfriend and her friend finished thier beer and decided they were going to throw them away on the street because it was closer. They proceeded to walk to the street with the bottle in hand and immedietly got stopped by one of the cops. They explainded that they were just going to throw them away. He looked at the bottles to see if there was still beer in them and there was. He wrote them both a Ticket for Drinking on a public Walkway. They both had to take a half a day off of work and in court they both were slapped with $125.00 Fines. The whole court room was filled with people there for the same thing. I underestand that they do not want a bunch of drunks running around the ball park with beers in hand but this was rediculous.
Wow, Well i guess I wasnt the only one! I got one on the rainout game against the Phillies, but I got lucky though because the idiot cop that wrote me a ticket, wrote 36th and Shields for the address instead of 34th and shields so it was thrown out. When I asked why they are doing this now, he said it was because of the Wrigley Field shooting. Such a bogus way to treat tailgaiters who are tossing their beers. I guess we should just toss them on the blacktop and have people clean them up. Damn Chicago cops!!!

scottmt
08-19-2004, 12:05 AM
I neither condone nor condemn going outside the lot to throw containers out, but it seems to me that ticketing for it is violating the spirit in which the law was written.

StockdaleForVeep
08-19-2004, 12:49 AM
This has to be done, there is no way for a cop to tell if your walkin and drinking or simply disposing your container. Its just like the concept of you never give a minor a alcoholic container even to throw out, cuz how does the cop know that minor isnt drinking? Like many posters here, i feel safer knowin potential drunks are stopped before i end up gettin crushed in my car lookin for the jaws of life cuz some moron cant hold his alcohol and only went to a sox game to drink and hoot at girls

and sorry for the home break in, if you have issues with the police in your area, call yer alderman

Back to morons, last twins game i went to, i remember now how much i hate idiotic high school guys. All they did was "lets go find some chicks" and come back by themselves(ha) and tryin to get beer, i guess 1 guy was 21 but they wanted 4 and apparent comiskey policy is 1 id=2 beers, so they were weaseling and complaining sayin "well how about 3 beers, can u do that?" etc etc....which was stupid cuz they were drinkin canned beer they snuck in anyhow.

Jerko
08-19-2004, 08:08 AM
This isn't something new. You can't bring beers from the lots into the streets. My buddy got a warning about that 2 seasons ago. We could sit in the lot and kill off a case between us in an hour, but bring ONE beer on to the street, and if a cop sees you, he'll tell you to go finish it in the parking lot. I saw that happen about 2 weeks ago. Nobody got a "ticket" but they were told to either dump the beer or get back in the lot.

nlentz88
08-19-2004, 11:10 AM
In my opinion this policy/law is asinine. Last I heard the Sox were encouraging tailgating in their lots. Tailgating pretty much equates with drinking beer. And where or where should a person dispose of this beer? Litter the parking lot? Isn't that against the law too?

Every other tailgating community I've ever been a part of (notably Bears games and Notre Dame football) includes carrying a beer or two with you as you make your way from the parking lot to the stadium. Parking in the south lot (under 55), it is a long walk to Soldier. Passing under McCormick you'll see the ledges littered with beer cans/bottles. In South Bend, people are drinking their beers as they wait in line to pass through the turn stile before entering the stadium.

This is just absurd. You can drink in the parking lot, and you can drink in the stadium, but you can't drink from the parking lot to the stadium? Asinine.

I too think this has less to do with public safety and anti-litter laws and more to do with bringing in cash money for the city coffers.

And yes, I agree that it would be much better to use cops to stop drunks from driving away freom the stadium than it is to stop people from having a beer on their way to the stadium. Priorities, anyone?

CubKilla
08-19-2004, 01:41 PM
How about instead of tossing blame towards the cops, the mayor, the law, the city, the court, etc., your g/f and her friend just look for one of the many garbage recepticles conveniently placed within the parking lots where tailgating is permitted?

RIP common sense :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
08-19-2004, 02:15 PM
How about instead of tossing blame towards the cops, the mayor, the law, the city, the court, etc., your g/f and her friend just look for one of the many garbage recepticles conveniently placed within the parking lots where tailgating is permitted?

RIP common sense :rolleyes:
Wazzat? What garbazzzzh canzzzhhh? *hic*

petekat
08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
yeah this is like tha dude who bounced the ball of the backboard during garbage time in order to get a triple double

StillMissOzzie
08-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Slightly off-topic in light of this thread's alcohol-related ticketing, but I heard on the news today that the cops are also cruising the parking lots of USCF and other public venues in search of Chicago sticker scofflaws. They said that Chicago residents have had at least 4 weeks to get their sticker, and they're getting more aggressive in pursuing the deadbeats.

If you're a Chicago resident and don't have your sticker yet - take the train!

SMO
:gulp: