PDA

View Full Version : Ventura & Perry Free Agents

AddisonStSox
08-14-2004, 01:31 AM
I know some of you guys are really good with the contract stuff...are both Robin Ventura and Herbert Perry free agents after the 04' season? Are the bridges burned for these guys in Chicago, and if not, would the Sox have any interest/use in/for them?

SomebodyToldMe
08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
I want Robin back just for old times sake.

I'd love him to finish his career in a SOX uni.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2004, 02:36 AM
The milkman was an interesting phenomenon for a while, but I don't feel any attachment to him.

Robin, on the other hand, should have remained with the White Sox. It would be great, if it fit in the salary structure, to let him finish his career in black and silver, much like Harold.

ewokpelts
08-14-2004, 03:48 AM
The milkman was an interesting phenomenon for a while, but I don't feel any attachment to him.

Robin, on the other hand, should have remained with the White Sox. It would be great, if it fit in the salary structure, to let him finish his career in black and silver, much like Harold.asa utilty guy off the bench, he wont hurt. Hell, he could take over for crede right now.....he's been smacking a lot of clutch homers of late.
gene

Aidan
08-14-2004, 04:18 AM
asa utilty guy off the bench, he wont hurt. Hell, he could take over for crede right now.....he's been smacking a lot of clutch homers of late.
geneAt this point in his career at 37 years of age, he's no better than Crede. In fact, he's worse...

Robin Ventura (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4432)
104 AB
.231 AVG
.328 OBP
3 HR
15 RBI

We already have a guy at third base than can hit .230. Unless Ventura wants to be a lefty bat off the bench and retire with the White Sox, I say pass.

SSN721
08-14-2004, 07:23 AM
I would definitely take him as a utility player. Love to see him finish his career here, who knows, maybe playing in CHicago again will give him a little spark at the end of his career. Or maybe I just want to see him when I go to games in the uni he belongs in. :D:

cornball
08-14-2004, 07:49 AM
I know some of you guys are really good with the contract stuff...are both Robin Ventura and Herbert Perry free agents after the 04' season? Are the bridges burned for these guys in Chicago, and if not, would the Sox have any interest/use in/for them?
NO

AnkleSox
08-14-2004, 08:10 AM
He had a nice rbi off the bench against the cubs last night :)

gosox41
08-14-2004, 08:29 AM

Hate to say it, but Ventura is old and his best days are far behind him. It would be a mistake to waste any payroll on him as well as have him take up a roster spot. The Sox don't need anymore players that can't hit, even if it brings back 'wonderful' memories.

Of course last I checked Ventura only played in one playoff series for the Sox in 8 years, so if these are the wonderful memories you are looking for then fine. The one's I'd rather see involve players that can currently help the Sox win a Series.

Bob

AddisonStSox
08-14-2004, 10:30 AM
104 AB
.231 AVG
.328 OBP
3 HR
15 RBI

We already have a guy at third base than can hit .230. Unless Ventura wants to be a lefty bat off the bench and retire with the White Sox, I say pass.[/QUOTE]
I think Robin would be a great guy to have off the bench, that is what he is doing in LA presently. At 37 years old, you can't really look at stats anymore...as a clubhouse presence, and tone-setter off the bench, I would welcome Robin back with open arms.

gosox41
08-14-2004, 11:05 AM
104 AB
.231 AVG
.328 OBP
3 HR
15 RBI

We already have a guy at third base than can hit .230. Unless Ventura wants to be a lefty bat off the bench and retire with the White Sox, I say pass.I think Robin would be a great guy to have off the bench, that is what he is doing in LA presently. At 37 years old, you can't really look at stats anymore...as a clubhouse presence, and tone-setter off the bench, I would welcome Robin back with open arms.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the Sox need more clubhouse presence. What we need are guys who can get on base consistently and play well.

We supposedly have Sandy Alomar for his clubhouse presence and ability to handle a pitching staff. He is is a good coach, but he's taking up a valuable roster sport with his lack of offense.

Bob