PDA

View Full Version : Hawk speaking about Rowand

Jerry_Manuel
10-02-2001, 09:14 PM
:hawk
I'm tellin you he's going to be a hell of a player.

rmusacch
10-02-2001, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I would have to agree with Hawk. I was at a game in July, I think it was the 21st and Rowand was playing center and he was a stud. He had like nine putouts and has a cannon for an arm.

OfficerKarkovice
10-02-2001, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

I would have to agree with Hawk. I was at a game in July, I think it was the 21st and Rowand was playing center and he was a stud. He had like nine putouts and has a cannon for an arm.

If I am not mistaken, that...would be a some sort of record.

MikeKreevich
10-03-2001, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Sorry guys, but I'm not convinced yet. I just don't think he is ever going to put up any power numbers. He is not a very big man.
I love his attitude and desire however.

GASHWOUND
10-03-2001, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Gee, thanks Hawk...Now we all know he won't be a hell of a problem..

Soxboyrob
10-03-2001, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

Sorry guys, but I'm not convinced yet. I just don't think he is ever going to put up any power numbers. He is not a very big man.
I love his attitude and desire however.

Sheesh, it's awfully early to assume he won't put up power numbers. He displayed plenty of power in the minors. He's young.

Power numbers usually develop a bit w/ experience. He looks like he's using more of a contact swing right now, in order to keep his OBP high and thus, warrant a starting spot on this team. He had a higher K ratio in the minors to go w/ the added power so it seems pretty clear to me what's up w/ him. As he gains confidence, expect to see more power out of him.

Gotta admit, he's doing fine right now just doing what he's doing. Bunting, stealing, making good defensive plays, hitting and walking. Let the HR's come as they may.

Joel Perez
10-03-2001, 12:27 PM
Stats as of 10/3/01:

119 ABs
36 Hits (.303 BA)
.396 OBP (WOW--still impressive for someone who doesn't walk a lot.)
.445 SLG %
21 Runs Scored
20 RBI's
53 Total Bases
5 Doubles
0 Triples
4 Home Runs
5 Stolen Bases (the big surprise there!)
1 Caught Stealing

:rowand Love me yet?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 01:10 PM
Rowand has shown me more than I expected him to this season. The real test comes next year when the opposing pitchers start making adjustments.

I'm still skeptical about his long-term potential. I hope I'm wrong. Let's revisit this topic at the next all-star break.

Iguana775
10-03-2001, 01:38 PM
well, i am on the Rowand bandwangon. i have liked him ever since spring training. i think he will be a good player. he is prolly my fav player right now. him and burly.

rmusacch
10-03-2001, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joel Perez
[B]Stats as of 10/3/01:

119 ABs
36 Hits (.303 BA)
.396 OBP (WOW--still impressive for someone who doesn't walk a lot.)
.445 SLG %
21 Runs Scored
20 RBI's
53 Total Bases
5 Doubles
0 Triples
4 Home Runs
5 Stolen Bases (the big surprise there!)
1 Caught Stealing

On the White Sox Listserv, we were lamenting the fact that Crede and Rowand are not getting more playing time. The only reason I could think that Rowand does not is because they are maybe preserving his rookie status for next year. I know that once you have more than 150 at-bats, you no longer qualify to be a rookie. Does time on a roster also count? Might be the same deal with Crede. Crede only has about 60 ML at-bats, Rowand now has 119.

CerberusWG
10-03-2001, 02:47 PM
Hmm, that means Rowand is in line for Rookie Day next year.

:rowand

Damn you all!

GASHWOUND
10-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

Jee, thanks Hawk...Now we all know he won't be a hell of a player..

tiger1972
10-03-2001, 04:33 PM
Why anyone would take anything Harrelson says seriously is a mystery. He is the man who wanted to make Carlton Fisk a left fielder and Joel Skinner the catcher, therby replacing Dom Perignon with a "fizzy". He also got rid of a very young Bobby Bonilla at the start of his career. He is an absolutely laughable source of baseball knowledge.

RichieRichAllen
10-03-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by tiger1972
Why anyone would take anything Harrelson says seriously is a mystery. He is the man who wanted to make Carlton Fisk a left fielder and Joel Skinner the catcher, therby replacing Dom Perignon with a "fizzy". He also got rid of a very young Bobby Bonilla at the start of his career. He is an absolutely laughable source of baseball knowledge.

Lest we forget his love affair with Julio Ramirez earlier this year.

Wonder where Julio will be 3-5 years down the line?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-03-2001, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen

Lest we forget his love affair with Julio Ramirez earlier this year.

Wonder where Julio will be 3-5 years down the line?

Driving a cab would be my guess.

:)

oldcomiskey
10-03-2001, 05:34 PM
whoa--who wanted Bonilla in the first place--I damn sure didnt--and I suppose he was wong about Ichiro and I still Ramirez if he learns how to hit will replace the cfs we have now

RichieRichAllen
10-03-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
whoa--who wanted Bonilla in the first place--I damn sure didnt--and I suppose he was wong about Ichiro and I still Ramirez if he learns how to hit will replace the cfs we have now

Learning how to hit at this stage might be a tall order.

Of course, if Charles Finley were still alive and kicking, Julio just qualify as the next Herb Washington.