PDA

View Full Version : Our bullpen is in serious need: Let's get Grimsley

MRKARNO
08-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Our bullpen has proven time and time again that it is a liability. The only thing that the Twins have on us is a solid bullpen. We have a great setup man in Marte and closer in Takatsu, but Politte just wont cut it for the 7th inning. Today in his Rumblings and Grumblings column (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1858619), Jayson Stark reported that Jason Grimsley has cleared waivers and can be traded. His ERA on the year is 3.89, but that is largely inflated due to two terrible outings in a row where he went a total of .2 IP and let up 7 ER. If you throw out those two outings, his ERA on the year is 2.55 and would be an excellent addition to shore up the back end of the bullpen.

Mohoney
08-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Our bullpen has proven time and time again that it is a liability. The only thing that the Twins have on us is a solid bullpen. We have a great setup man in Marte and closer in Takatsu, but Politte just wont cut it for the 7th inning. Today in his Rumblings and Grumblings column (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1858619), Jayson Stark reported that Jason Grimsley has cleared waivers and can be traded. His ERA on the year is 3.89, but that is largely inflated due to two terrible outings in a row where he went a total of .2 IP and let up 7 ER. If you throw out those two outings, his ERA on the year is 2.55 and would be an excellent addition to shore up the back end of the bullpen.

I think that Allard Baird would try to put the screws to us in a trade for Grimsley, especially considering how we undercutted them for Scott Sullivan last year.

If Grimsley's cost is reasonable, and he somehow escapes the waiver wire, I'm all for it.

We need somebody in that bullpen, that's for sure.

OEO Magglio
08-14-2004, 02:10 AM
I'd absolutely love to have Grimsley in the pen.

princek
08-14-2004, 02:27 AM
I think that Allard Baird would try to put the screws to us in a trade for Grimsley, especially considering how we undercutted them for Scott Sullivan last year.

If Grimsley's cost is reasonable, and he somehow escapes the waiver wire, I'm all for it.

We need somebody in that bullpen, that's for sure.i believe KC traded Grimsley to baltimore earlier this year, so we wouldnt have to deal with Baird. And i just read hes playing injured with a strained right hip flexor.

Aidan
08-14-2004, 02:47 AM
I agree that we definately need another right-handed reliever for the bullpen. Mike Jackson is brutal and I'm not sure I want to count on Adkins in a tough situation. Grimsley was questionable last night with a hip flexor. He should be 100% healthy soon though. I would take him in a heartbeat. Last night's game showed that we can no longer count on Mike Jackson in a key situation. He just doesn't have the stuff to get a good hitter out.

Mohoney
08-14-2004, 03:05 AM
i believe KC traded Grimsley to baltimore earlier this year, so we wouldnt have to deal with Baird. And i just read hes playing injured with a strained right hip flexor.

Really? Grimsley is in Baltimore?

Aidan
08-14-2004, 05:37 AM
Really? Grimsley is in Baltimore?Yep, and Baltimore got ripped in the deal. They traded away a top pitching prospect for him in Denny Bautista. Way too much for Grimsley imho.

gosox41
08-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Sounds good to me. I would love to get him and release Mike Jackson.

Bob

MarqSox
08-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, at least he already knows his way around The Cell's HVAC system. :D:

beckett21
08-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Last night's game showed that we can no longer count on Mike Jackson in a key situation. He just doesn't have the stuff to get a good hitter out.
You say that as if we ever could count on him in a key situation. :tongue:

Anyone would be an improvement. He has absolutely no confidence whatsoever. He looks defeated once he hits the rubber.

MisterB
08-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Another name on the waiver list that might be worth getting is Justin Speier. His ERA is higher than Grimsley's but his peripheral numbers are actually a little better. He'd be a decided improvement over Jackson and probably slightly better than Politte.

Justin Speier - 2004

40 G, 49.0 IP, 42 H, 25 R, 6 HR, 22 BB, 36 K, 6.61 K/9, .241 OppBA, 1.31 WHIP, 4.59 ERA

he_gone_89
08-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Another name on the waiver list that might be worth getting is Justin Speier. His ERA is higher than Grimsley's but his peripheral numbers are actually a little better. He'd be a decided improvement over Jackson and probably slightly better than Politte.

Justin Speier - 2004

40 G, 49.0 IP, 42 H, 25 R, 6 HR, 22 BB, 36 K, 6.61 K/9, .241 OppBA, 1.31 WHIP, 4.59 ERA

yea,if we get speier and call up wunsch and outright jackson to AAA,our bullpen will be soild